1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Staring instead of playing

Aug 18, 2006

1. Unless I'm doing a photoshoot or something, my girls are sitting somewhere near my computer so I can just stare at them xD sometimes I feel awkward though, like "if she could actually see and think, she'd probably think I'm a freak for just sitting here staring at her for so long". I dunno, it'll probably be able to "play" more when my other dolls get here ^__^

2. For me, it seems to depend on the doll's size.

My 3 larger dolls sit on a shelf in my room, and I always find myself staring at them for a few minutes each night before I go to bed. It's kind of like...a communication without speaking, if that makes sense. :sweat It's very calming to just stare at their lovely faces and see their quiet eyes gazing back. But generally, besides the occasional photoshoot or change of clothes/eyes/wigs I don't handle them much and the shelf is where they stay.

However, I do interact constantly with my MSD girl. She's smaller and lighter than the other dolls (so more portable? lol), and accompanies me all over the house. Although she's only been with me for a few weeks, I've already given her two different basic faceups, changed her clothes a handful of times, and taken almost as many pictures of her as any of the other dolls I've had for years. She also has her own bed, where she stays at night and anytime she's not with me (which so far isn't very often lol). I just adore tinkering with her. I find I prefer to be doing something with her rather than just staring at her face.

3. I'd say most of the time that I simply stare at or sit with my dolls. I just enjoy having them around, even if I am not doing anything particular with them. I do change their clothes, pose them on their shelf abit and ocassionally take pictures but I don't really 'play' with them.

4. I do! But for some reason whenever it becomes a staring contest, the dolls always win. :XD:

5. Ooooooh, yes. Definitely a guilty part over here. My favorite thing about owning dolls is getting to look at them all the time. :sweat
      -V

6. I stare a lot also! coz not enough time to play with....T.T
      I only change their clothes and wigs for events or going out for shooting...
      but I prefer they dress up nicely all the time~~
      so I could really enjoy the time staring at them at any moment~

7. I love to stare at them as much as I love to play with them. But, if I have enough time, I prefer play. ;)

8. When I had a roommate who had her own BJD, we'd play with them together. Now that she's moved back to PA, and my girl is the only one in the house, I try and make clothes for her, but I haven't played with her in a while. I also don't have a camera at the moment. I've ordered another doll, a boy, but he won't arrive for another couple of months, most likely. But I think that when I have two of them to "interact" with one another, I'll play with them more often. :XD:

9. I wouldn't say I only stare at them, but every night I do stare at them for a while before going to bed and make up stories in my head about them. :)

10. i usually stare at them alot as well

11. I change their clothing, their eyes and wigs - maybe paint them. I like photographing them, and maybe considering a photostory (though it's been a while, I'll admit!) But that's what I consider "playing" with them. Other than that - yes, I just like to look at them. It makes me happy just seeing them put together and beautiful.

12. I have collected dolls for most of my life, so I am perfectly happy with having them as shelf eye candy. However, when I do get free time I love to change their clothes and wigs. I go to meet ups every month, so they do get played with regularly, but I really find nothing wrong with staring at them (I mean, they are pretty gorgeous <3 )

13. If holding count as playing? I hold my boy ALL the time he as well sits in my lap while on the computer, comes to be at cons. Around me when I draw. We do lots together but he sits there I dont "play" with her per say. With my girl she usually just sits and i complain to her. She doesnt move much. to big

14. I played with my crew a lot more in the earlier days after getting into the hobby, but less so since my youngest daughter was born. I don't have much time for extended photoshoot sessions any more, so for the most part they sit on the shelf over my desk being admired. :)

If I'm sewing, the model I'm sewing for generally comes down to sit on my table whilst I'm working and gets a photoshoot afterwards to show off the new outfit. From time to time I just feel like getting a few dolls down and changing their outfits, playing around with wigs etc.

I'd like to have more free time to play; but the dolls are pretty uncomplaining!

15. I stare at them much more then I play with them. Lily (MNF Shushu) usually sits close to me and I play with her often, but others have their cosy places, so I mostly stare at them ^^

16. Staring is what I like to do most XD

Its just fun to sit there and look at them =3
      If I had a camera of my own I would certainly take pictures... but since I dont I take them with my mind and just look at them =D

Its a good way to brainstorm too xD
      I end up wanting to do something with them... though when I cant do it right now its quite annoying XD

17. I don't exactly "play" with him a lot, per se. I do mess around with posing him every once in a while, just to see what he'll do, and I tote him all around the house, but then I just set him down somewhere near me and look at him every so often and sigh in complacency ^_^

18. I am the same way. Really I just dress her up and sit her some where. She is just too cute. And I do love to have her sit next to me as I go on the internet, watch TV, and sew.

19. i dont think its weird to stare at your dolls all day i think it be weird if you didnt stare..... i stare as much as i play but i love to stare.....but my doll is always nude for some reason its always next to me wile im on DoA

20. Yup, that's me. I don't play with my dolls, hardly ever take pictures of them recently (don't have the time/energy), but I love to hold them and simply admire their sculpt. Not just the face; the hands, the feet, the torso, the the legs and arms. Everything. It's my way of playing, I guess.