1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting them young... what age to collect BJDs?

Dec 26, 2005

1. I'm trying to hook my best friend (we even share the same name for crying out loud :'3) into this hobby, granted she's 15, but so far no dice. She says their too expensive and I definately don't blame her! Although... shes had her eye on a husky though, so maaaaybe someday!

2. :3 I'm trying to get my 16 year-old sister into them...she already collects Barbies to a degree and she's interested in being able to get a doll for this OC she's loved for years. XD

I -do- have a four year old brother, too. He's into Hot Wheels right now, but I'd love to see the look on his dad's face if he ever catches my brother playing with a doll. XD!!!!!

3. Well, I'm 13, so I don't have anyone to hook. :( I need a doll before I can hook anyone, anyway.

4. My girls (3 & 7) have a preference for stuffed toys rather than dollies. My 7 y.o. does like her American Girl dolls though. I've been a doll collector for a long time so they are quite used to seeing dolls here and at their aunt's house (my sister who is also a collector). We think they got just a bit jaded being around dolls their whole lives. They aren't even excited or can feign excitement much when they're friends try to show off new dolls to them. Once I let her friends come over and they saw the door to the doll room open and they were in awe. My daughter distinctly told them, "Look, don't touch or big, big trouble!!!"

5. My girls just turned 12 and 9. (Emiey, they're jealous as all get out because they aren't old enough to join here!! :) )

And yes, their obsessed mom has purchased dolls for each of them.

Yep, it's probably spoilage of the worst kind - but it's something that we all love to do together. I never would have imagined that someone my age would suddenly be playing dolls with her kids -- on the other hand, I remember my own mother's absolute delight with buying and sewing clothes for our Barbies, way back when.

There are some things I can't do with my girls, mostly actively physical things, for a bunch of reasons. So it gives me an immense amount of joy to share this hobby with them :)

As to hooking other people... not yet, but I'm working on one :D She's a big Aya fan (from Weiss Kreuz). We've found her the perfect Aya and keep showing her pictures... ;) "Come to the dark side!" *giggle*

6. Yes, that is my plan, lol. My daughter is just a toddler now. As my husband puts it, she gets her "mauling hands" ready whenever Maebe is within reach, lol. She sometimes waves to Maebe up on her shelf, which is cute. I've always had collector's dolls and I'm sure when she's a bit older she will too. She went to her first anime con at 11mos (not counting two she attended in utero), so she'll grow up immersed in this stuff.

7. I bought my sister her first BJD, she's ten years old. I got my first when I was fourteen. I think it's great for girls and boys to be exposed to dolls at a young age.

8. Heh. I already got one of my younger cousins hooked on anime. I think my aunts would quietly murder me if I got any of them into an even MORE expensive hobby! XD

9. My daughter Maddie is almost 5-years-old. She is determined to save money for her own doll. She loves to sit with me and play with my dolls.

Lishe

10. I don't even have my own yet, and I already have my sister and my two best friends hooked. We all plan on getting our own soon.

11. My sis is 13, and she likes my dolls, she was very mad when i sold my mnf soo, she really liked her. i was going to get her a dollzone nina, but when i was on the luts site one night and looking through the mnf's, she came in and pointed to shushu and said, "I want her, but with brown hair." I was like, OMG, you had to pick out the expensive one huh? ><

12. I'm actually more interested in getting my mother hooked on these dolls. XD; My sisters... not so sure. They're young teenagers right now (fifteen and thirteen) and when I brought my dolls over to show them, the experience wasn't what I hoped it would be. I expressed to them very strongly how careful they had to be, and they would both start off posing them carefully, but then they'd get more and more reckless until I had to remind them to handle them gently again.

Yeah, I don't think they're ready for them yet. Maybe in a couple years, but not yet. (But I'm more concerned with starting my mom on her first doll as a Christmas present this year XD )

13. Well, my mom is DEFinitely falling for the Resin Children, and I gave my son (he's 4 now) a 27 cm. sized male obitsu doll, which he always runs to play with when he sees me playing with Cotton.
      I suspect he will be wanting his own BJD in about a year or so. :)

14. Well I have 2 'sisters', we are just really cloes friend, and we call ourself sister, cause we are sooo the same. The older one is 18, just 1 years apart from me, and the other is turning 15. I showed them the Luts site and they fell for the dolls. They gonna be here in summe vacation, so I will show off some more sites to them, and by then I'll have Loki hom too^^ They say if they werent that 'freeking pricey' they surely get one. Well I think there are cheep but good looking doll that are good to start out with, so theres a chance.

Also my neighbour, who is 17, wants one but her mom would kill her for that. Price drama there too. But she soo adores the tinies^^

Soon my cousin will have a baby, who will be my goddaughter/son we dont know yet, but I have a feeling she will have a daughter, and I cant wait to get her into the hobby^^"

15. My lil bro...... hes only 11 bless him and he wants one! i was planning to get him his first for his B-day! yay!!!!! for starting young! it is something i hope that i will get my kids involved in when i have some...... but i won be having any for a long time yet! (hopes)

16. My daughter's been around dolls and my collection her entire life and I really think she's just tired of dolls. Maybe that will change in a few years but for right now, she just doesn't have any interest. :(

17. my gilrfriends little sister is 11and she loves my dolls we are getting her a puki for christmas

18. My friend (16) and her sister (I think she's 13) went with me to a BJD meeting. My friend kind of likes them, but she says "they're just dolls" and thinks they're way too expensive.
      Her sister however is a great fan of my doll, and really seemed to like the ones at the meeting xD She was all like "Did you see that big one's eyes? They were all golden and shiny! And their hair is so pretty!"

... It seems I managed to brainwash at least someone 8D

19. When my two cousins came to visit, the one that's a year younger than me decided she wants a Ducan from DOD. Her parents don't like the fact that he's anatomically correct, and I doubt they'd ever get her one. I'm not sure she'll ever really get involved with them, though, because I think she just really likes looking at them.

However, my younger cousin, who I believe is 11, fell in love with my puki. She sat on my bedroom floor and posed him with all sorts of props that she found with my old barbie stuff, and she was extremely careful with him. She asked to see where I bought him, and I showed her the pukis. Last I heard, she's determined to save up for a pukipuki Rose~ I'm not surprised she liked them, though. She's collected American girls and Bitty Babies since she was a really little girl, so dolls have always been her thing.

20. My sister will be 10 in a few months and she wants a Yo-SD sized doll quite a bit (probably from Leekeworld), thanks to my interest in the hobby. :lol:

I think she's saving up her money for one (she tends to either hoard or spend her money) and if she shows responsibility somehow, I'd help her buy one. I would prefer her to be a little older than she is for this sort of doll, but if that's what she really wants and shows the responsibility for saving all her money for, then that may already be a good indication. ^^