1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Stick To What You Know?

Oct 13, 2010

1. I admit that I have a bit of an...addiction to Angel of Dream dolls, and if I have an idea it is there that I first drift for ideas. That said, they do not really sell clothing or the like, so usually on my hunt for items of clothing or wigs etc., I find other companies that get my interest. No problem with sticking with what you know, no problem with branching out.

2. My dolls are from all over the company spectrum. But then again, I've also been collecting these dolls for almost eight years now, so the hobby landscape has changed a LOT in that time. When I started collecting, the only companies it was really possible to get dolls from were Volks, Custom House, Unoa/Alchemic Labo, and Cerberus Project (through Liria's proxy service). Dollshe was only just starting out, and hadn't even begun pre-orders yet for the original 77 Bermann release. I do prefer to see a doll from a company in person before I order from that company, if possible, just because I like to get a hands-on feel for the sculpt and material quality, but I don't require that opportunity.

3. No, I'm not sticking with one company. So far i have dolls from Luts, Dollmore, Fairyland, and AoD. It depends on the mold and the review about the company itself (eg. quality, customer service, waiting time). One thing i hate is waiting for a long time, so usually i don't buy from those companies (a month or two still tolerable, imo).

4. hmmmm nope,

I have dolls from six different company's, and preloved dolls (and parts)
      The dolls I still really want would bo from yet other company's.
      So I do not really feel drawn to just one company.
      :)

5. I have dolls from Cerberus Project (Both Delfs and Fairyland dolls of various sizes-), Volks, Soom, Luts, IpleHouse and Elly currently. In the past, I've also owned dolls, heads or bodies from Elf Doll, Dollshe, Angel Studio, MigiDoll, Doll Factory and Fantasy Doll. I've handled friend's dolls from a batch of still different companies (DoD, Custom House, Lati, DollZone, Soul Doll, B&G, Dollstown, AlchemicLabo, Narin, Supia and Unidoll)... But after all that, I still don't see anything the least bit odd or wrong about someone building a "one shop" collection.

Having a favorite style of sculpt and staying true to that preference is often going to lead you in that direction.

6. I've owned dolls from Bobbie, B&G, Soom, and Fairyland. My current crew is either from Soom or Fairyland, because I love their aesthetics and the companies are awesome. But I wouldn't hesitate to order from another company. Variety makes the world go round! Or the resin, as it were. ;)

I would only avoid a company if it had problems: shoddy work, insane wait times, horrible customer service, etc.

7. If a company has what I like, I'll buy it.
      If their service or quality is very bad, I won't order there ever again, most likely.
      If the whole thing goes well, I won't hesitate to order again, however, this does not stop me from going to other places which I don't have experience with yet.
      That my dolls are from either Soom or Crobidoll has nothing to do with "sticking to what I know", but with their aesthetics.

8. I try to stick to the same brands cause of the sculptor consistency? I don't know if this makes sense. ^^;
      Some sculpts are consistent they tend to have a similar look. (eg. Araki's dolls have a similar look, CP delfs-feeples-minifees, SNG, etc.) So I lean more towards that.

Am not sure why though. Maybe I want my dolls to have a theme? Like for example if they look realistic, I would like all of them to have the same realistic feel. I wouldn't one to stick out to break harmony. But I feel this does limit me to a few brands only.

I may be subconsciously doing this to 'stay in love' with the dolls I have now cause I'm afraid of what might happen if I do switch companies (sculptors) and then I decide to re-do the bunch I have now. :S And a lot of time and effort has been put into obtaining the ones I have at the moment.

9. I don't think sticking with a company you know you like is particularly strange. I don't feel there's any particular obligation to buy from everyone or even look at everything if you've found something you know you like unless you actively want to branch out -- which I don't think is necessary, either.

There's the preference factor -- something drew you (generic you) to that sculpt in the first place, and if it's typical of that company's style, odds are you'll find that element you like in other designs by the same company and the same artists.

Second, if you know the quality of the doll and are happy with it, that's a pretty big issue right there. Not even the less expensive dolls are inexpensive, and when parting with fistfuls of cash, it's comforting to know what the quality standards are that you can expect. You're going to know that from experience with the dolls you already have.

Personally, I can say there are specific companies I buy from repeatedly because I like the style of their sculpts, and I know they're of good quality, so it's a little of both for me. I buy from new companies every so often, and I can't say there's any company I have bought from that I wouldn't buy from again -- and most have more sculpts that I would like to own, so it's not unlikely that I will buy from them again. I choose based on appearance first, not company, but when it comes to plunking money down, it has a lot to do with availability, so I have bought more frequently from certain companies simply because what I want from them is available only for a short period of time (at the retail price, and I do like to save money) because they do frequent limited editions. I may have spread the money around a little more broadly as well if it wasn't for the limited time frame factor.

10. After ordering from Dream of Doll and finding that I wasn't too keen on the resin style or the poseability of my DOI, I've been reluctant to try for different sculpts that I have never seen in person before. Right now, the majority of my dolls are CP because of my familiarity with the company. I do plan on getting dolls from different companies in the future, but to me it seems like a gamble. I'd prefer to stick with a sculpt style that I KNOW I like, rather than spend a wad of cash on something that turns out to be not my taste.

11. I'll literally buy a doll from any company. What I've notice though is that their styles won't match in photos. I had a migidoll and a leekeworld and I couldn't get them to be in photos together because the leeke doll was so "dolly" and the MD was so realistic. They looks strange together.

So basically, I used to be more open and now i'm shutting down a bit lol.

12. I've thought about this alot, and I like the fact that alot of my dolls come from different companies. However, I didn't set out for it to be this way. I just liked a certain doll, researched the company abit and if it seemed ok bought what I loved. My dolls come from Soom, Souldoll, and Luts and I also have a Fairyland, and Peakswoods dolls being made right now. I tend to have a weakness for Soom, and limited dolls in general but I like the diversity as well. Alot of people would probably look at my collection and the fact that there not "matchy, matchy" and cringe, but I enjoy it and thats all this hobby is about for me.

13. Hm, I seem to be sticking to Fairyland, I thik the bias exists because they're the first company I discovered. But, I mean....idk...I love the molds! and faceups! and poseability! I feel like FL has a lot of dolls I want, while most other companies only have one or two dolls I want. I do like looking at other companies though, but I feel like, if I only have one doll from a company, it'll be lonely on it's own (as if it was a race or something, lmao) so I tend to refrain from buying from too many different places. I want them to fit in, and if they don't, they either need a sibling or they need to go.

14. None of my dolls are from the same company, the same with my girlfriend's dolls (though that will change soon!). Mostly, though, I would say that we are pretty particular about dealing with other companies. I search Gallery and Company Feedback threads usually before deciding on ordering. For me, it's not always about the companies themselves, but the quality of their products. I'd much rather have to wait longer and have a doll/clothes/wigs/eyes/shoes/whatever that I know I'll love than get something because it's cheap or close and find out later that I really hate it.

15. Alright, SO, I have some variety too my dolls, but I do get obsessed with companies at different times. I have right now, 2 dragondoll, 1 ringdoll, 1 bobobie, 1 angel of dream and 1 everpurple. on the way i have 2 more angel of dream, two more bobobie and one dollzone. AS you can see by my layaway panel in my signature, i have a weakness for impldoll, i actually didn't like impldoll... at all, then i saw they had a spend 300 and get a freebie doll sale and i started to look at them more... well.. i'll be damned, now there are about 7 or 8 more dolls I want from them and its after the sale. I also have a SOOM weakness and I am getting into LUTS and FL soo...

I tend to vary in my dolls.. I dont usually just stick to one company, however I do like to have more than one from the same company.

16. I guess because I started with buying second/third hand BJDs on Ebay, I just went for anything that looked cute and was a reasonable price. I never got hung up on particular companies because of that but when I finally came to buy brand new, I did a lot of research and have had excellent experiences with Peakswoods, Dollstown and Dream of Doll. I also bought a new doll from Luts and they were extremely quick and friendly despite some of the bad feedback I'd heard. I also have dolls and heads from DIM, Soom, AIL, and Elfdoll. They are all beautiful and I love the variety, it makes them more "real" to me, to have all different sizes and proportions even though they are all SD, it makes them all very much individuals.

17. I love buying from different places, but I have major ADHD (really, not joking) so I could never buy from just one company. However I don't see anything wrong with it.
      It can be a pretty scary experience though, buying anything by mail has it's risks. Dollmore however is a pretty safe bet.

18. Variety may be the spice of life, but some people, like myself, don't like spice.

There's really only two companies I will buy from anymore, Volks and Bluefairy. All of my attempts at trying other brands have ended in me selling the dolls rather quickly. It's less of a money sink and hassle to buy from companies I know I like and who provide the same sort of look that I prefer.

19. no not really, though I guess there might be a 'tendancy' to like one company over another because you like their molds better. I want to be as diverse as possible with my doll collection though ^-^

20. I'm all over the place with regards to companies. I have 2 AoD's (3 of you count Kijika who was a collab project of AoD/LE Doll), a MNF, a Cherish Doll, an RS, a Camilla Dynasty and an OD. On my soon/next to buy list are dolls from IS, Doll-Love, Dragon Doll and Buddy Doll. On my sure wish I could ever get/afford them are a Unidoll Ark and an Impldoll Miguel The demon Hunter.

I buy the dolls that look like my mental image of my characters (since I only buy character dolls). I seem to have a soft spot for AoD's though as I own 3 and one of the former AoD sculptors now works for Doll-Love.