1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Stick To What You Know?

Oct 13, 2010

1. Funny enough, my two girls are from Angel of Dream, however to purchase clothing and accessories for them I was forced to expand to other companies because I was not inspired by AoD's selection. I've had a lot of clothing commissioned for my girls as well. I'm also attracted to many dolls from other companies, I want some diversity in my dollie collection.

2. It helps to know that you can trust a certain company for quality and customer service. I'd be more likely to buy another doll from Dollmore because I've fallen head over heels for my first doll. Not to say I wouldn't buy from other companies if I loved the sculpts as much! Though there's something to be said for the company whose dolls make you "take the plunge" and join the hobby. :)

3. I think people like to stick with what they know. The wonderful thing about DOA is people are quick and easy to retell others their experiences with companies and dolls. You can view people's dealings with companies and sellers throughout years to determine to yourself are they getting better with customer service? Is the quality good? Is this something I should avoid- it looks fishy maybe I can't trust this. Going to meets and seeing other dolls and feeling them as well as having communication is great for branching out. I would not be afraid to try a new company or a brand- I of course would do my research but if it turns out to be a not so okay experience there is always the fact that there will be someone who will want to take that doll off your hands eventually. Nothing ever is 100% permanent in this hobby if you don't want it to be.

It's always good to have a good feeling that you can return to a company that you know & like. It's like sitting down with your favorite book and letting it draw you back in, you know it's the same and you are fine with it, that's why you loved it in the first place right?

4. The majority of my dolls are from Soom, but I also have dolls from Lati, Pipos,
      Fairyland, CCC, Unoa, Spiritdoll, DIM (MNM heads), ANother Secret (heads)
      and Volks (more heads!) I enjoy the diversity and I think I'd be rather "bored"
      if I only had dolls from one company based merely on fear of buying from other
      companies. If you prefer a particular company then there's no problem wanting
      to buy solely from them though!! Always buy what you enjoy and never worry or
      feel you need to explain yourself, because it's your money and your dolls :aheartbea

(So sorry if I'm a repeat poster in here! :sweat)

5. Hmmmm...my first thought on this was "Yes, I'm mainly focused on Volks!" ;) Of course looking collection today, I realize its become more diverse. I enjoy looking at lots of dolls and when one catches my eye, sometimes I buy it. Don't get me wrong, I do still consider most Volks dolls to be gorgeous and they are the quality bench-mark I measure all of the other doll makers by. And in this past year, a couple of companies that I've dealt with previously have had major problems with product quality and timely delivery, I'm more cautious about being "beta-test-doll-collector" when it comes to trying out an offering from a new company. I'd rather wait and see what the owner photos look like, or scope the newest of the new out at a local meet-up. ;) Sometimes my hesitation means I fall in love with a doll that's sold out, but I've been pretty lucky tracking down most of my true "must-haves" on the secondary market too, so if I'm really meant to find a particular doll, I'm confident I will.

Juli DC :)

6. I have dolls from Bobobie, Angel of Dream, DragonDoll, Ringdoll, Dollzone, Everpurple and a ANother Secret Head. I do have what I call, company mates, where I get a couple dolls from each company to see how I like them for example, Tony and Angel are both from Dollzone, or Emory, Kaiser and Marius are all from Angel of Dream and then Gavriel and Adama are from Dragon Doll and Ariel and Timor are from Bobobie.

I like to branch out a LOT. I have SOOMs on the way home along with Fairyland, Souldoll, IMPLdoll and WITHgoll

7. I tend to do both. I have 1 Elfdoll boy, 2 Dollzone girls, and one Dollmore girl. I don't want a particularly big doll family, so I really thought it'd be great to try a new company for my next doll and add to the diversity of my little group. As he is to be a boyfriend for my DZ MSD girl, I just wanted his height close enough to hers and a sculpt that would look good with her. I was considering a Souldoll Vito Lester, a Narin hybrid, and a Limho Mono (very much leaning toward ordering the Mono), but while looking through owner pics of Mono I ran across pictures of a Dollmore U-jee from the same owner. Instead of drooling over Mono (who I still think is beautiful), I keep thinking about the expressiveness of the Dollmore boy and how exciting it would be to see what other amazing looks a good faceup artist could get from the sculpt. I didn't want to do another Dollmore, but that's the doll that I fell in love with.

I've waited up to 4 months for a doll before, and for a doll you love it's worth it. Hanging out in the waitingroom threads really helps the time pass with a lot of fun and commraderie, too. I've gotten a doll very quickly by going through Junkyspot, the MP, and Dollmore. Those were all great experiences as well.

In the end, wait times don't matter. Whether you branch out or stick with the company you know doesn't matter either. It just about getting whichever doll you love.

8. I like to have a little bit of everything. ^^
      I don't want a such a big doll family. After 2 dolls from Luts, I find myself getting a little bored, so I want to try out other companies too. I understand that each company has a distinct style, and I appreciate the diversity. :)

9. Doll companies all have certain artists with certain face sculpts. If you bought one doll from them, it's likely you'll buy from them again because there was something about that company's style that you liked.

But hey, if you have time, go look at other companies. I actually wish I didn't though, because I kept looking and looking out of fear of missing out on some great doll. But in the end, none of the dolls I actively looked for stuck with me. But the ones I were drawn to in the first place, those stuck to me. Dolls and companies.

10. I buy from lots of places! Just about any company is fair game if they come out with the right limited edition. But certain companies do have a particular draw for me. Soom and Volks being my top two. But I have owned dolls from probably half a dozen companies.

11. For me its price, and then the look and feel of the clothes. I would rather have five nice cheaper things then one outstanding expensive thing.

12. My first two dolls are a Serendipity (Noel) and a Doll Family (ZI You), and the next will be a Fairyland (MNF Shushu).

All the others I wish for are from different companies (with 1-2 exceptions), I really go for faces I fall for & then for a body... I like variety.

13. With BJDs only I do tend to stick to what I know! I think the issue for me is that I am spending alllllllllllllllll this money and I can't see the object and touch it in person before I buy. This makes me rather shy about branching out because I really I don't want to be disappointed (It happened once). After all, this is a pleasure hobby and I want to preserve that feeling as much as possible and avoid any stress. I was accused once of being a less "savvy" buyer because of this limited view, and I can see why I might seem that way! However, I take a real pleasure in the dolls I have and I like adding "matching" dolls to my collection. Maybe at some point I will look to branch out more :) but for now I feel satisfied and happy with my limited doll range.

14. I have a dim doll(my mini and only girl), soom mecha angel corvi, dollshe Bernard(dsam 35 body....LOVE it! Though scared to restrict him ...so many parts lol) I have a latidoll Chaim on layaway, a rosette school violet(junes mate) on layaway and dream of doll kalix coming soon as well. As you can see...I am partial to variety. I buy dolls and resale them regularly... I buy them loving then aesthetically then when the posing doesnt work I resale them, likewise with them aesthetically. My favorite doll happens to be one I'm not partial to aesthetically, though he has grown on me and blw he looks perfectly normal to me (like men should have robotic abs like he does...serious robotic abs)

I like how they are all different with each their own quirks. My dollshe can be so emo always leaning foreward like life is terrible, at the same point though he such a musician. My corvi is such a ladies man, model type and walks around like he owns the world and my Marianne is such a b!tch that the boys listen to her no matter what. Lol

15. At first I just stuck to Volks, but lately I've felt adventurous and just ordered a doll from Luts, a doll from Fairyland, and a doll from Bobobie. I want to test the waters, but I know Volks is my favorite.

16. I'm not sure if this is considered as sticking to one...there are 6 dod boys and volks boys in my family.Of course there is a few of mine from other companies as well.I love exploring various companies for doll accessories and well,I do return almost once in few days or whenever I have the time to check out on the shop.That also depends on the quality of the products.It maybe coincident that the two companies that majority of my boys were from,their style happens to suit my taste.

17. I currently have all Luts! But my next doll is going to be a Dollzone...they finally came out with some girls I just can't resist! I also love Soom's tinies and have some of their legs here. They are AMAZING and can stand on their own for hours or days on end. I'd like to complete my little Soom baby someday...

18. When it comes to the dolls themselves the company is not such a huge factor for me. I have 8 dolls from 4 different companies (Luts, Soom, Domuya and DollZone) If I like the mould and they had a good track record that's good enough for me ^^

However with clothes ect, I rarely drift from Dollheart and Dollmore

19. All of the four dolls I've bought in the past are from different companies, and in half of the cases I'd never seen one of their dolls in real life before ordering. There are certainly companies whose dolls I like more than others, but if I only bought from a single company I'd feel that I was limiting myself.

20. I some what accidentally end up sticking to Volks, doll wise, unless a sculpt really strikes me (and even then I usually get Volks bodies for them OTL). There are other companies that I keep up with though, like Crobidoll and Luts, even if I dont necissarily buy a doll from them.

I also do this with eyes D: The only thing I dont really stick to one company for is clothes (because I dont buy company clothes period...).