1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Stories of Doll Irony/Coincidence

Feb 14, 2011

1. I think I have a story that fits this theme:sneaky....
      A couple of years ago I had my heart set on having a tan Angell-Studio Gavin shell my character, Lucian. :drool

I was completely dead set on Lucian being my next boy doll.:eusa_pray

To make a long story a bit shorter- I couldn't get him. He was limited and I couldn't raise the funds in time. Then when he appeared on the marketplace,not only did someone beat me to him, but I had an unexpected emergency arise that took all my saved doll money at the time.:| Needless to say, I had completely given up on having my Lucian be represented by an AS Gavin. :(

So I developed other plans that did not center around Lucian because I couldn't find the perfect mold for him......

I wound up looking for one of the other dolls on my wishlist in the marketplace-It was then that I stumbled upon a tan DZ Floy-he was perfect! He was cast as one of my other characters: one of a set of twins named Koda or Mika. So I pounced! I bought him and couldn't wait to start making the necessary changes, but when I opened the box I was met with a little person who was entirely too devilishly handsome and mischievious to be Koda or Mika. This doll before me had none of the innocent, boyish charm I had come to expect from a DZ Floy. I was at a loss and a bit of time passed before it dawned on me-This boy had 3 out of 4 things that I look for in a mold for Lucian. 1) He was tan 2) He had pointy ears 3)He had droopy eyes. Then it all started to add up,.....this doll was the perfect incarnation of Lucian! :D

.......And so, despite my best efforts(or worst depending on how you look at it), Lucian still managed to be my next boy doll-despite being the furthest from my mind at the time. ;)

2. I think it's more coincidence than irony in my case, but I sort of had something like this happen with the doll I'm waiting on now.

I've been saying for a while that I'm done with dolls, I've got what I want, my collection is finished...UNLESS I can find a doll that suits one of my first characters, Raine. He's been a favourite character of mine since Jr. High (which means he's like...9, 10 years old), he means a lot to me and I'm REALLY picky as to how he looks. Then Migidoll Cho comes out, and I say "Well, he looks just like a pale version of Raine! BUT, Migi has said she's probably not going to release tan, so the only way I'm getting him is if he's in tan!!" So a migidoll order comes and goes, and I figure I'm safe, Migi's said that she may not release tan again, I can continue to save my money and be an adult and such....and I JUST come to terms with the fact that Raine is probably not going to happen.

So, Migi released 5 tan Cho in the last order. Guess who just jumped off her high and mighty pedastal of "adulthood" like it was on fire? Along the lines of weird coincidences with the same doll, the wig I wanted for Raine was discontinued a while ago. My friend who's more or less left the hobby just happened to have that EXACT wig hanging out virtually brand new in a box under his bed and gave it to me when he was home for Christmas. So I'm starting to feel like Raine is an eerie meant to be sort of doll.

3. Irony loves me, but sometimes I wish it doesn't. lol

Usually, it's in ways that make me go "FML!", but there is one interesting/strange occurrence that I'll share, since it's not depressing or annoying. In short, not a story that is unhappy. ^^

The first doll I ever purchased (back in 2008) arrived in Dec. After him, I was unable to buy full dolls for another two years, though I'd come close. I'd promised my girlfriend (and her first resin girl) that I'd get a certain doll next, as soon as I had the money. Finally, frustrated beyond belief, I told her (them) that he'd come home not this Christmas (2009), but the next. Well, circumstances and situational luck finally favored me last year, and I was able to purchase the doll I'd been promising them (for two years).

Wouldn't you know it, but he arrived in Dec. as well, within days of my first doll, and in time for Christmas? It seemed that I predicted the future, and it was foreshadowed by my first boy. Strange coincidence, maybe. Ironic? For me, yes.

4. I have a lot of characters I want to make, and therefore a lot of dolls were floating around on my wishlist. It was really annoying, because I knew it would take a long time for me to save up for these dolls and there were just so many of them... But lately I've been finding that some of the dolls I really want, and even some I have already, could easily fit as 2 or even 3 of my characters. So I've been able to shorten my list of dolls greatly without sacrificing my character list!

5. Oh I sure can relate to your "shouldn't be spending the money on doll things right now" and how I have missed the outfit I have been "waiting for" to leave the sight and rethink the issue. Needless to say I have missed a item I "need" or "want" more than once which is better for the pocket book only to have another one pop up with in a short period of time and then there you go. Also if you get the outfit , it does need the shoes and even a wig!!! So I need a dolly "bank account"!!!!!

6. So when I went to going to my first Anime convention I saw my first Ball and Jointed Doll. The whole time I did my best not to get attached to the idea of getting one. But that night I found my way into the BAll and Jointed Doll discussion. After the next day I got there and I ran into the make shift doll meet, well after that I told myself I was going to read some manga (the convention had a reading room) and not think about the dolls. I walked into the room and the first Shojo Beat I picked up had an story on BJD's >.< so I made it my mission to learn as much as I could about these dolls. Now I'm going to be going back to that convention with my first doll maybe with my second if she is there too ^,^

7. Haha! That's a great story Marah Soore!
      These stories are a little bit funny aren't they
      sadly enough!

I have had another 'episode' very quickly to my
      dismay. When DOD came out with
      the outfit sale last year, I bought some outfits 20%
      off.

So last week I was saying to
      myself that I wished they would
      have another one. And what do you know..
      They're having one for 40% off.*_*

And I'm..kinda broke! So...
      I'm really hoping I can join a GO
      and be even more broke!!:sweat

And the whole idea began when
      I saw a DOD outfit I wanted for my
      boy in the DOD Database. I knew I shouldn't
      have looked. lol:doh

8. My birthday is Feb. 28. My LoongSoul Emily's serial number is L-H-S 000028. It's a small coincidence, but it makes me smile.

9. I had some rather ironic things happening when I orderd my first doll ...
      The first one was that I was horribly happy to have ordered him, untill a week later, they decided to release a new, double jointed body for the same prize. Ofcourse they didn't offer me the chance to buy the new body >.<
      A few weeks later I found out why. I was almost spamming them with emails because I got no payment confirmation, shipping, tracking etc.
      The first answer I got was the tracking number. And when I tried it, the package seemed to have left customs already (I was like "that fast hu...") Apparently he was already shipped 2-3 weeks ago... so yeh, that was before the release of the new body >.<
      20 to 40 workdays my *** :p

And then the other common things.
      Outfits or wigs I want that are sold out. (very often)
      No money to buy dolls and then a very nice one comes out...
      And all those things that interfered with the purchase of my girls body :p after a bit more than a year, she's finally getting her own body *hides in shame*

10. I stated self-satisfiedly that no fullset dolls appeal to me - I can fit faceups to my tastes better if I'm doing them, I'm not interested in fantasy parts, and the clothes.....well the current popular fullsets all seemed too fantasy or from past oriental eras, none of which I'm particularly interested in.

Then Iplehouse came and released the only genre I'm smitten with when it comes to dolls - WESTERN. I know they did it just to spite me :lol:

I won't be making such hasty statements ever - especially as I'll be too busy saving for Arvid :sweat (though I'll still be doing his faceup XD)

11. What experiences have you had good/bad of 'doll irony'?

Not really irony, but more of a coincidence. I'm, obviously, obsessed with Big Bang and TOP and after I started getting into BJDs, I thought Why not search "TOP BJD", and through a blog site, I found a BJD head that looked just like him! So I spent literally hours trying to find anything about this head, and then I went and actually read the comments on the blog and found the link within the first couple comments. ^^; Turns out the head was Namu from Nindoll. which I now lovingly own~

Also, another coincidence, I was looking for a body for my Eunhwa (the Namu~) for weeks and then I remembered that I had an account on Dairyland BJD so I went and checked the marketplace and found the perfect body! ^^

Has that made you want the doll more? Or do you feel you're now 'destined' to have it in your collection?
      Yea ^^; When I first saw Namu, I thought he was gorgeous and not just because he looks like TOP~ Now that I have him, I sometimes look at him and have to remind myself how I even found him in the first place! ^^;

How do you typically handle it when this happens?
      Both times made me laugh~ And It made my bond with him stronger. I think these coincidences happen because he's my perfect doll~ (And my first too! ;D)

12. I wanted a Felix Brownie and 2 popped up together and I got them both :P

13. I've been lusting after CD Jun for a while... I guess he's relatively new so it makes sense I see him a lot. ;n; (box openings etc...)
      It doesn't help that I usually check the CD website everyday.
      A couple of days ago the wig I wanted to get him re-stocked.
      I had a dream about him going half price for some reason. ;__; (I thought it was true when I woke up!)
      It doesn't help that it's probably going to be a couple months until I can order him, so everyday I'm worried he'll sell out! OTL (I'm relatively new to the... stalking a certain sculpt business, so I don't know how fast things sell out.)
      It's kind of painful the more he pops up. ^^;;

14. What experiences have you had good/bad of 'doll irony'?
      About BJD this happens to me the most of the time and it is one of my fave parts of this hobby. It happens to me so often that I will tell basically the most related directly to them.

- My first BJD was always in stock until I was ready to buy her. She came back in a while, but that is the only time I have ever seen her sold out.
      - My second and third BJD were bought separately, although close in time, and came together in the same package. They arrived in 02/03 and the birthday of one of them is in 03/02.
      - My fourth BJD (Delf El) arrived the same day one of my friends received her MiniFée El in April 11th. My El's birthday is in November 11th. He is now an hybrid, with a Unidoll Uni Real body. The time I found the body for him, the time it came to be sold separately on an special event.
      - My fifth BJD arrived on my sister's birthday. I chose his name by a kind of art I love, Satsuma, and it happened to be also an old battleship which fits really well his fantastic back story.
      - My sixth BJD came by mistake without faceup so I had to send her head back to Luts. I had only the body for a while. Today I have a new body for her so her head is the only set.
      - I ordered my seventh BJD with two pairs of eyes. I did not told the company which pair of them to place on her, but the ones she arrived with were the ones I wanted her to keep.
      - My eighth and ninth BJD arrived together. Without looking the first box I opened was the one of the BJD which was a main character and later the box of the supporting one.
      - I wanted to get a resin pet for the crew. When I was up to buy it, it disappeared from the market. I asked and they re-placed it for me. After it the puppy faded again. I think mine is the last of his kind on sale.
      - My tenth BJD was also sold out when I was almost to click for my order for her. Again I asked and the one I got is the one they showed on their store pictures. Mine is the only BuddyDoll W-Buddy Jiny I have ever seen. Besides, she is curiously a close buddy of one of the members of the crew.
      - My eleventh BJD was an sculpt I never thought I would buy until I saw it with a limited edition faceup which made me change my mind.
      - And my twelfth BJD was also an sculpt from a company I never imagined I would get a BJD from, Dollmore. He arrived home in December, a day after my birthday in 2009, with a calendar showing his sculpt on that same month. He is my last BJD and Dollmore the place where I knew about my first one.

I have more doll ironies/coincidences to tell, but the list would be just way too long.

Has that made you want the doll more? Or do you feel you're now 'destined' to have it in your collection?
      After all of it I may say I love them even more and feel it was kind of fortunate chasing destiny.

How do you typically handle it when this happens?
      With pain in my pocket and an smile on my face.

15. So, I'll be a freshmen in college this coming fall and I recently found out who my roommate is. I saw on her fb that she described me to a friend and she mentioned "she collects those dolls we were looking at online. the ones you can change their eyes and hair from japan."

I FREAKED. It's cool that she's somewhat familiar with BJDs :D I didn't even mention my collecting them, but it's all over my fb xP

16. I had a fortuitous event not too long ago that was rather coincidental. I'd been pining over a pukipuki Darjeeling, knowing that the prices were going up on all Fairyland dolls, and knowing that I had absolutely zero in my savings account for one. My only way of getting money for dolls is by selling my knitting and crocheting, and usually my biggest sales (the kind that would render a doll affordable) aren't until Christmas.

Well, the day before the price change, I happened to bring a little toy to work with me that usually is pretty popular, not intending anything to come of it except that I wanted one in my office. It turned out quite the hit with my coworkers, who drowned me in orders and paid in advance. When I totaled it up at the end of the day, I discovered that I had exactly enough to get my Darjeeling. She's on her way to me now.

I feel lucky.

17. Usually it has to do with money for me. I'll revisit a doll or clothes I want and all of a sudden I'll get money for one reason or another. The other thing that likes to happen is I'll be trying to take pictures, and the doll will snap into a position I didn't intend. Then I end up liking that position more than the one I was going for.