1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Strangest place you've ever taken your doll and gotten noticed.

Apr 26, 2012

1. Ren Faire! I took two...it was kinda fun. I have taken them to fabric stores, and to the mall, but mostly to meets and a con.

2. Yes. A couple of times to show people who are always amazed at the magnificent size and the clothing of these Iplehouses and Bishonen boys. Here in Australia they are only used to Barbie for their kids. The pink aisle of the toy department.

They admire them. Butthey also think I'm an alien

3. I would never take my doll anywhere -- I'm way too socially awkward to answer any sort of questions or anything along those lines. I can barely carry on a conversation with family about her as is.

4. I would be just as mortified if that happened to me.:lol: What a crazy coincidence, though.

The only place I've taken my doll - only one of them, even - was to college on two occasions to show a professor and some classmates. I'd been talking about them, and my professor asked if I had one and to bring it in. At the time, I only had my DM Kid, so I brought her in, and I brought her in the worst carrying devices... I used a plastic bag the second time, which actually was a lucky choice because that same day, it rained heavily, and my bad wasn't waterproof. She didn't get out of the plastic bag until it was time for class, though.

5. I think the only place I've take my boy out has been between my apartment and parent's house and also to my bjd-owning friend's house. When I used to go to anime cons I always room shared, and never wanted to risk bringing him along. For me, doll owning is a private hobby and is something I don't feel the need to share unless specifically asked.

6. The beach in Maui. I was taking pictures of my doll in a hula skirt and bathing suit on the beach and this older woman goes "that is a beautiful ball joint doll" and continues her way on her walk. I knew she must know about them because who would go through the trouble of saying "ball joint" instead of just saying "doll".

7. Tomorrow is a carshow in the nearby town. Marcs been to three so far. X3 Hot August Nights in Reno, NV was the first, and HUGE. Though I sorta left him in his carry bag at the hotel because I was scared he'd get damaged. Next time though, he's coming a long.

Then I took him to a small car event in Ione I think last week, and this weekend is a car show in Jackson. SO, Marc is coming with me. :3

I've taken Marc into Jimboys...only because it was one of those thrift shopping days to find things for him, and I was hungry. That was where a lady gave him a stuffed polar bear. X3

I haven't taken him to Starbucks...though I might, just once. Depends.

8. I haven't really taken mine anywhere too strange... Although my best friend and I went to hobby lobby once, I had Jezabel, and she carried Florian... And a man and his very young daughter came over to us, starin at my boys. Well, he immediately apologized, saying he and his daughter were just interested in the dolls, so I brought Jezabel closer to the little girl and said hi.... And her dad?
      He asked "those are those ball jointed dolls, aren't they?"

I kind of beamed, I was pleasantly surprising, and the little girl was enchanted. :fangirl:

9. I think the strangest thing was when I was at my church's ladies' group meeting, and the pastor's wife randomly asked me about my dolls. Apparently my mom had been telling her about the one that had just arrived that same day. Well, she insisted on seeing him in person, so 63cm tall, white skinned, face-up-less Hall with his jointed hands and black hair sat in the pew with me that Sunday. He certainly wasn't what she had expected!

He drew a small crowd of ladies, and the pastor himself, after the service and mostly everyone was just intrigued. They were really impressed with his hands ^^ It went better than expected, considering Hall's full name is Hall O'Ween:lol:

10. In general, I don't take my BJDs anywhere they wouldn't be totally unexpected - a doll show or convention, a fabric store when I'm buying supplies, etc. But I do occasionally bring them in to work. One day on the way home, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up one thing I absolutely had to have, and I took Luke (my DoD Too) into the store with me because it was really hot outside and I didn't want to leave him in the car. He's really small, and hid in the crook of my arm, but we DID get a few odd looks from people, especially at the self-checkout. LOL!

I wish I'd had the guts to put him in the child seat of a shopping cart, but I only needed one thing. I would have REALLY looked silly pushing just him and a loaf of bread in a big ol' cart!

Linda S.
      galatia9

11. Went to a mall for a doll meet with 1 person once. The person ended up going to the wrong place so I never met up with them. But where I park for this mall I end up walking through Nordstroms and across the mall. The few people who said something commented that she was cute or pretty. One turned out to be a BJD collector (NOT the person I was meeting up with) and she asked about my doll. It was kinda neat.

In general I don't take my dolls out of the house though, so that was the only interesting time.

12. Wow Disneyland @__@~! howd you keep them safe on the rides? Id think they break on indiana jones because its such a toss and turny ride x.x. I actually broke my fiances mini computer in my backpack on one of the rides xD;;;

Anyway i dont have my dolly yet but i plan going to fabric stores and other places with my doll ^_^!! I'm not afraid of being looked at since iv worn cat hats and diff odd things before xD kinda use to it.

13. I normally only bring my dolls to meets or cons, and sometimes to the fabric store. But I want to start bringing my tiny around for those moments of photo opportunity

14. The oddest place I've taken one of my dolls would be the airport. I mostly get a few curious looks or murmurs, the last time I went this one TSA lady looked at my Shall like she was the strangest thing! @_@

15. I recently took my tiny to Vegas. No one really said much to me except a cashier at Kidrobot who commented, "She's like the roaming gnome, huh?" I imagine I'd get more looks if I'd brought along one of my bigger dolls, but they don't usually travel unless it's to a con or meet. I've been thinking of getting a slightly larger (think 27cm) traveling companion because it's hard to focus on a tiny thing in a big background... But, I'd only really take them out for interesting photo ops.

16. At first I would take my dolls out sometimes. But, I soon learned that, having social anxiety = people ruin my doll outings.

17. It's always good to see people having good experiences with things like this ^^
      I've taken each of my boys out a couple times. Mostly good experiences~ Once I took my first boy to the park to take some nice pics, and a man with his kids came over and handed me some little flowers for my doll ^^ I was wearing my ipod so he kinda just looked at me and motioned the flowers towards my doll and set them next to him. And once I had came from the craft store and headed over to toys r us (it wasn't for ponies, i swear....!) and a little kid in line behind me was throwing a temper tantrum, so I showed him my doll and made him wave to him and everything, and he calmed down for a bit x3 I like making people smile, even if it requires me to wear a willy hat or carry around a tiny plastic person ^^

18. Back when I got my first BJDs, I went rather overboard with them and would tend to have a doll with me pretty much everywhere I went - including goth nightclubs. To be honest though, I was pretty ill mentally at the time, and I think the fixation on the dolls and needing to have one with me like a kind of resin security blanket was part of that. I had no concept of what was an appropriate place to take a doll really. I took one to work with me, and I do think part of the reason they let me go after only 2 months was the behaviour with the dolls - frankly it's not exactly normal for someone in their 30s to bring a doll with them to the office.

These days the dolls stay home except for doll meets, which is just how I think it should be. I'm nearly 40 and a parent of 3 kids; it looks frankly weird and creepy for me to tote a doll with me everywhere, and these days I certainly don't need a resin "security blanket". If ever I start considering it again I'll know the meds aren't working! :lol:

19. I find it upsetting that bringing one's doll to work can be grounds for letting someone go, no matter the owner's age. It's no different that bringing a fashion forward bag or a sticker-peppered laptop. No matter the outlandishness it is a personal item with no bearing whatsoever to other people's work performance. At worst, if someone does complain, it can easily be stowed away.
      I am a bit affected by this because I almost always bring Frei with me to work, to the point that an officemate bought him his own office chair. Some people like him, some people don't. But nobody ever told me to stop bringing him to work. The top management is aware of this and they do not mind, they even inquire about Frei whenever they visit our department. Any working doll-lover who wishes to bring one should have that same non-discriminating work environment. :|

20. So I was at the car show in town...and I walked into this awesome kitchen wares place. LOL I ended up having a huge convo with Marc on the glass counter top and people just looking at him. I only had him out because they had all sorts of tiny utensils, kettles and cook ware that were just his size. I pulled him out to see if they would fit in his hands....and soon everyone was commenting on how cool he looked. I was there for an HOUR talking about bjds....

CRAZY!! (but positive)
      xD