1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Suddenly loosing motivation for my dolls?

Jul 29, 2017

1. Then maybe you should reconsider what you want in a doll? Most likely, the doll you want is out there. If you know, what you want, we can help you to find the doll that matches what you want in a doll.

2. Like anything, your interests are going to wane and peak. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years; there have been times where I straight up have barely acknowledged that I have them, and other times, like right now, where it's all exciting and fresh and new again. Hobbies change, you get busy, new things peak your interest more. But chances are, if you really loved it to begin with, you always come back.

3. I originally got my first doll two years ago with much excitement and interest in the hobby but then I had a year of important exams and almost completely forgot about my doll until recently when I came across a bjd related video online and my interest sparked up again. Maybe take a break and explore other things in life and that original craving will eventually find you again when you're ready.

4. Maybe it's a SIZE thing? it sometimes take people a while to figure out that the actual issue was the dolls size was wrong! I had mid size dolls and then went back to SD size and I much prefer them. They just feel right to me. I keep trying Yo-sd size but sadly they just don't work in reality. I like the larger size.

5. Whatever the reason, don't be too harsh on yourself for loosing motivation for dolls. It may come back when you receive the doll too. If not, sell them on the market and focus on what makes you happy.

6. A suggestion: start a little notebook of things you like about the dolls you have, or the ones that catch your eye. And also the things you dont like. And a section for what might be perfect if you could magically create a new doll just for you. Over some time, these notes to yourself may help you see more clearly what you want in a doll. We did something like this is in an art class, and it was helpful. Good luck and best wishes!

7. I've put down my dolls for long periods of time over the years. I would have so many ideas and wouldn't be able to choose a direction so I would just walk away because I was frustrated. I like @Deb@Play's idea about the notebook helping to figure ecactly what your are looking for.

8. Such good advice and pretty words! ^^

It's a bit difficult knowing where the problem lies without more information though >< Maybe you bought the wrong dolls? Maybe you bought too many dolls? Maybe you need to work more on the dolls you have to make them fit your expectations? Maybe you just don't like the hobby as much as you thought you would? Maybe you just need to take some time and not stress about it?

The last time I was in a slump I found out I had bought a doll that wasn't right for me, and once I sold it I felt a lot better :) but there could be many reasons, so maybe wait and see how you feel when you get your new ones?

9. As others have said, creativity and passion naturally work in cycles. I hope you find your passion again, but don't feel like you have to be on your dolls 24/7 to get anything rewarding from the hobby.

10. After reading the comments, I just know that buying too many dolls at once can make your passion faded :'
      that kinda true though, maybe I will get into the same situation like you too >.<

the only one that make me order multiple dolls at once mostly because they are limited edition dolls, I'm afraid that it will sold out and I regret this :') but I don't know what should I do anyway because I don't know the future if I will find that kind of doll that will suit my taste like that doll XD

11. I have that atm but I think my loss is due to so many screw ups with the faceups

12. I think its because My sealants keep acting weird. I can't avoid the problem since I don't know what is happening so it kinda creates a bum feeling

13. why did you screw it? is it because you experimenting face-ups? o,o or because the original face-up chipped or something?

14. Ah, that can be discouraging.. but why not try asking for advice somewhere here then, or look it up online to try and figure it out? Faceups are hard ><

15. I assume it was the weather or something or just the sealant I usually use is being weird

16. I agree with what others have said about burn-out, the low after buying and creativity being cyclical. I think these feelings are normal. It might also have to do with the wait time. When I bought my first doll I had to wait a couple of months longer than I had anticipated, due to delays at the company. To kill time, I made a long list of extra stuff I would buy for the doll when it arrived. However, now that I finally have it and I've finished the faceup, I don't really think the doll needs most of that stuff. I like the doll a lot as is.

17. Maybe you just go through peaks and troughs like I do. I'll go through periods where I live, breathe and think about my resin flock constantly, followed by a few weeks of doing next to nothing with them. It's normal, I think.