1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sun and dolls: Which skintone do you use the most caution with?

May 18, 2007

?
  1. White

2. Normal

3. Tan

4. Colored (i.e. Blue, Red)

5. I use the same amount of caution regardless of skintone.

6. I don't use caution regardless of skintone.

7. I only have dolls in one skintone.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I have tan, white and "normal" skinned dolls and I don't really exercise any caution towards sunlight exposure. Thus far, none of my dolls have been damaged from sunlight.

However, I do not leave them in the sun for long: only for brief photoshoots.

2. It's weird, but I've had my Crystal Rose-skin AR boy for two years now, and he's been outside for photoshoots repeatedly, kept in indirect sunlight for months, and I've generally not been TOO careful with him as far as sun. He doesn't sit in it directly or anything, but still. I had a couple of his spare hands in a box in my closet, and when I switched the hands he'd had on since I got him with hands that had been in the box, there was barely any difference. The body was a teeeeeeny tiny bit darker than the hands, hardly enough to notice in person, and not at all enough to notice unless you're looking for it.

Moral of the story: AR Crystal Rose is amazing about not yellowing. :D

Keep the answers coming, folks! Purely for personal curiosity. :)

3. I'm most careful with my colored misty rose. She's fading already despite it

4. I use caution with all dolls regardless of skin tone, or material for that matter (french resin or not).

Sera~

5. I would never buy a tan doll, but I exercise extreme caution with both my normal skin and white skin dolls--it's more readily apparent when a white skin doll yellows, but both yellow just as easily! I tend to keep them covered and/or in boxes about half of the time (I love having them out to look at, but I don't need *all* of them out all of the time~ :lol:)

6. Definitely NO sun for my french resin girl whenever possible!

7. I am more than slightly worried about my new DOC girl...a friend has a DOC with the same body (the new girl one) so they can't have been made too far apart. My friend's doll has insane yellowing on the lower half of her face...she got her cheap for a reason, methinks :x And I do NOT want my girl to yellow!

My Volks NS I'm not so worried about, her skin is yellowy in the first place, lol. We go outside and go places all the time.

8. I find it slightly amusing that the skin type most people fear exposing to the sun is Tanned Skin, as it is counter-intuative. Guess you can't get a tan skinned doll by allowing him/her to sun bathe :P

*cancels Sofi's Tanning Salon membership*

9. I'm guessing you missed the horror stories about tan dolls turning green and/or starting to melt from sun exposure. :sweat

10. Green? o_o; I have ordered my first doll (still haven't gotten her in yet) and have heard excessive sun can yellow the resin, so I plan to be careful, but a tanned doll will green instead?

11. I've seen one definite thread about a particular brand tan doll turning green, and the unfortunate Bambicrony problems have been well documented here. But I haven't seen any definite stories and pictures, other than third-hand/fourth-hand-plus stories about other alleged instances of tans turning green or melting. Anyone have links to the source information on any of these occurrences?

Myself, I don't sit in the sun if I can avoid it. Some sun exposure does appear to be unavoidable at doll meets or taking them outside for pictures. Mine are just going to have to take their chances. However, in comparison, the sun's effects on MY skin are much worse (at least the dolls will stay wrinkle-free), and I know I'll always look in far worse shape than they will! (Anyone else ever cringe at seeing that first close-up picture with your skin texture in the picture next to theirs?)

12. Random but slightly slow question: Would using a parasol for a doll kind of slow down the effects of yellowing for taking a doll outside? o_o

13. Vespa is a french resin Tan doll, I am protecting her 24/7. . . .
      But that's mostly because she's from french resin.

14. it makes sense that a tanned doll would have more problems, since darker colors absord heat more... *shrug*
      i'm a bad mommy, i didn't know that dolls could yellow so i took my abio angel (normal skin) out a LOT. i even left her in the car in the heat and sun when i had to run into stores (now i wince at the thought). but, to be honest, i would rather have fun with her than hide her away. when people come over and she's sitting on my printer, they always comment. they love her! she likes the attention, lol.

15. If you live in Australia, with the big ozone hole and all, UV damage is VERY important here. My friend's narae body yellowed badly in just a few months of Australian, mostly diffuse sunlight.

I'm planning on being very careful with my whiteskin and UV coating all of him. My Moon, on the other hand, is a big boy and certainly isn't likely to yellow worse that the much paler DoD resin which has been abused with sunlight by me for the last two years. ^^;

16. French Resin. I have two french resin dolls and they yellowed like crazy. Beyond that, I don't really bother. None of my other dolls, including my tan camine I have had since Jan 06, have changed color. And my tan Camine sat next to a window for a little bit.

17. I have no idea, but to take a slightly slow question one step further, has anyone tried putting actuall Sunscreen on their dolls on days (like meets) where you know you are going to be outside? Like either a cream/lotion or spray sunblock that they sell for humans?

I am fully aware this may be a rediculous question but it can't hurt to ask!

18. I only have one, outside of taking her out for pictures I've been her away from the window and behind glass. Though she can get indirect light. With this heat wave I moved her downstairs to the coolest room in the house until fall.

19. You do not want to put anything that is oil on your dolls. It's going to be sticky, messy, probably ruin the faceup and be a pain in the butt to clean off.

20. Heh, yea I figured there would be a good reason not to do so, I just wanted to hear someone say what it was. I have heard people mention something called "UV Protect" I belive, and I figured it may just be some sort of permanent sunblock.