1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Supernatural Doll Stories

Jul 7, 2011

1. Here's one to lighten things up.
      I recently got myself an SD size girl and I just managed to get her a black dress with pink flowers on it. So, she's sitting on the top of the cabinet and she's placed slightly taller than our eye level. I'd adjust her head as if she's looking down at me.

My wife entered the room, took some baby clothes to prepare for my son's bathtime and freaked out a little. She then told me that the doll's eyes were "cock-eyed".

So I figured, while waiting (since she's bathing the baby), I quickly fixed the doll's eyes and made it look proper now. But I didn't place her back in her original position and now sitting at another place.

When she finished bathing the baby, she screamed when she saw that the doll had moved to another lcoation!
      Had to quickly calm her down lest she threw the naked baby in horror. :doh

2. That's great that what ever took your doll hand gave it back. And I saw the same episode of a haunting too it was kind of creepy.

3. Yeah, I was really glad I didn't have to buy her a new set of hands. I still have her too. The episode was eerie.

4. I know this threads last post was 2017, and that I've already mentioned this story in another thread but this one, was alot more specific so I thought it would be a great place to elaborate.

I recently bought my first second hand doll, a tan skin minifee mika who I love with all my heart, but I wasn't aware that his head was going to be slightly smaller than standard MSD size, so I decided to stay up late one night and attempt to make him a wig (which somehow turned out to big?) it was about 12-1 am while I was doing this and I started getting this really weird feeling like he was alive, it may have just been the sleep deprivation but it looked like he was breathing, I brushed it off and went back to working on the wig. This did happen a while ago, so I don't remember like, every thing but after calming down a bit from another mini fright I set him down on the counter to wet the wig a bit to get it to lay a bit flatter and when i turned back around his head had turned to face me at the sink I mean like direct eye contact, needless to say I put him back in the box after that and called it a night.

i don't really take my boys out of their box often and this is kind of one of the reasons, it makes me feel a bit bad but I'm not ready to live in a paranormal movie.

5. ...See, this is why my mum didn't like my doll at first. xD She used to think dolls are spiritual.

I haven't encountered any supernatural events with my doll yet, but I kinda hope I will someday. It sounds super exciting. :kitty1

6. And this sort of thing is why I insisted on my roomie making little sage and stone pillows for the insides of the dolls' heads after cleansing them. We have enough weird stuff happening in this house--losing things that were in plain sight, bizarre fingerprints on the front door, etc.--so giving whatever it is a bunch of open vessels was just... nah man. Fortunately I haven't had anything occur with my boy. Quite the opposite, actually, as I tend to feel better with him around, especially sitting on my lap or behind me, and this is coming from someone who h a t e s porcelain dolls. I've read that they tend to be more susceptible to nasty things. I wonder if it's because adding preventatives like these little pillows is more difficult with them or something?

7. I'm glad this thread is still going. Got some really intriguing stories going on here. I still have my Sephiroth bjd from 2013 (the one in my avatar) and he seems like he has a mind of his own. I sometimes feel a presence around him, I can tell when he's disgusted with something or if he's content. One recent incident that happened earlier this month is that the maintenance men in my apartment were coming to remove the air conditioner cover off the air conditioner. There was a 12-hour notice of them coming along, so I told my Sephiroth bjd people are coming (I rarely have people come over my apartment). I usually have him out on my bed laying down looking forward toward at my closet. I always close the door when personal other than my best friend whom I mentioned much earlier in this thread come to my apartment. So the door is closed while I'm at work. I come home from work, I can tell they took care of the air conditioner cover because the cords were moved from the way I had them and of course the cover is now gone. When I opened my door, I was taken aback. If you lie down on my bed, feet facing the closet (like my bjd is) on your right hand side the next room over is my living room. Well that's where the air conditioner is at. I always lay my bjd flat (with just one pillow to prop his head up) and have his head straight. When I came home that day, he looked as if was leaning upward slightly with his head slightly turned to the right. Now I know no one tampered with him because the door was closed and everything was in its place, plus I live alone. Needless to say, I don't think he likes people in my apartment in general, especially guys. :sweat

8. m first doll which has to be the creepiest doll i ever had. so i grew up in japan in the country side, like im talking 2 hours from a city,rice fields everywhere and 1 small school house. now japan as a whole if im gonna be real is just a really creepy place. so when i was 7 i was going through all these adoption things and being handed over to my grandma who lived in the old family house. i should also note my birth family is very religious we practice Shinto. but anyways my grandpa loved spirits and yokai and all that creepy stuff but he was long gone by then,one day when i was playing in the shed out back i found a box of my moms old things mostly just toys so thats where i found kohana, it was a 1/4 size porcelain doll that was made by god knows who and me being me i took it and fell in love with it, she went everywhere with me and my grandma when she saw it lost her shit. like she was ready to start whipping salt at me by how she acted. this doll apparently used to be my moms favorite as well but she started to act weird and say the doll would say mean things and what not. shortly after this whole conversion weeks went by and shit got real. the doll would be found in diffrent rooms behind doors,out in the garden, by the gates, my friend said the doll stared at him when i was grabbing things, soon i started to hear voices and felt sick. the nightmares also got so bad to the point my grandma brought the doll to the shinto priest and he sent it off on a small boat during the doll festival.the house still feels creepy like someones always watching when i go back every few years

9. Wow that scary! x.x I think Japan is a creepy place too-but creepy and beautiful at the same time. Do you remember what the doll looked like? Was it a Western doll or a traditional Japanese doll? From what it sounds like, a bad spirit has made the doll its vessel for a long time.

10. Aaaah, I love this thread! Here's my contribution (sorry for the length!):

I work at a thrift store that has a small designated area for vintage dolls, mostly porcelain. I pass through it every day on my way to clock in or out (just to see if there's maybe a Resin Soul, haha!). One week, there was this big wooden rocking chair on the shelf. Something about it captivated me, though it was incredibly simple and somewhat beat up from use. It was just enormous in comparison to our other dolls. So... I passed it by. Every time I walked by it I regretted leaving it there for some reason. It was more expensive that most of our actual chairs, at seven dollars, but one day just before my weekend, I decided I HAD to have it. I paid and took it straight home. Shockingly, it dwarfed even my MSDs.

Then I realized it was the perfect size for my Ringdoll Dracula. I was beside myself with shock and joy to finally have a proper place for him to sit. I kept him on my desk next to me for the rest of the day as I did various work. Finally, I took a break and turned on some stalking documentary on YouTube, which I was really only half listening to because I was occupied with brushing my doll's hair and positioning him in the chair. When I had him just right, I pulled out my iPad to take a picture.

I glanced up and my computer had been shut off. I looked under my desk for an explanation; the power bar--far from my foot's reach because I had a bin of art supplies in the way--had been switched off. But I heard a soft noise, some kind of music.

I locked my iPad to see where the audio came from. The lock screen showed a two-minute clip of audio it called "iPad" that was halfway through playing. A soft song sung by a woman. The closest comparison in sound would be a sadder version of the opening to the original Fruits Basket anime, but obviously that wasn't the actual song. The only lyric I could make out was "we are strung together," but I later wondered if it was actually saying "we are STRONG together."

I tried to pause the audio. It replayed itself. I tried again, and it disappeared. Keep in mind that I had no other app open but my camera, and the only music I've ever downloaded on the device is rock. Your guess as to what that was is as good as mine, but it certainly gave me a spook.

I got strange feelings from my Dracula for a while after that. Normally, I regard him lovingly, even giving him a little kiss or pat on the head when I pass him, but at times, especially at night, I'd feel some bitter intent from him, like he was channeling some foreign energy and all but glaring at me. I think he was protected in some regard because of the necklace he's worn since the day I got him--a cross that I took from a rosary for him, something that was definitely used in prayer many times. All of my dolls wear crosses now. If he didn't have that, I feel the activity might have escalated.

The last bit of this story came in a nightmare where I dreamed that my dolls were hopelessly haunted, practically stolen from me by a jealous ghost. I was fearful in the dream at first, but when I remembered how much the dolls meant to me, I threw open my bedroom door and yelled for the ghost to get out of my house and to never touch my dolls again. I haven't had any strange feelings from them since. Whatever might have come with the chair seems to be dormant or gone. Hopefully gone.

*Edit: Just to clarify, it's a rocking chair, but in the time that I got weird vibes from him, it never moved. I don't know if it wanted to move, lol, but I always kept his foot propped up and something wedged underneath to keep it from lurching forward.

#230 GCDear, May 31, 2019
      Last edited: May 31, 2019
    11. it was a Japanese doll style wise she had a kimono and everything but the way it was built felt western compared to other Japanese dolls i had had which normally werent even bjds, she had a mans voice actually and was linked to bad luck becuse my late mom and general string of bad luck in that house with spirits

12. Wow scary stuff. :(

13. This is super helpful! I had no idea this was so normal, or occurred to so many people.

14. I made the mistake of giving Nezuko a noise making music plush, needless to say if it has any winding power left in it, it will play at random at times. She definitely looks super sad if I don’t wind it so all power to her lol.

Yumi has a light up bear that lights up when shaken, it will light up whenever I take it from her.

I once gave Aiko a plush heart that said “I love you” on it. I thought it was adorable, but she apparently only likes to hold her stitched heart plush I got for her before she arrived. So one day I was posing Yumi on the daybed couch and I got hit with the plush. It flew a bit. It was a throw. Not a drop. Aiko has only ever been given the stitched heart since then.

looking through their old photos, I had one where Aikos eyes were turned almost fully towards the camera, I have to admire her effort.

Once I was selling some clothes and took Nezuko out so she could model them for the sales post. She refused to stand. No matter how hard I tried to balance this normally sturdy stander, she adamantly refused. Worst part was the camera fully turned off all of the sudden before I got the best shot.

#234 ethlynn, Apr 3, 2020
      Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    15. Well, my old house is haunted so weird stuff happens every now and then but nothing with my dolls so far. My husband looks at my favorite doll suspiciously sometimes. If something does happen, it’ll be that doll!

16. Two instances here.

When I was in college, my MSD boy would end up with the TV remote all the time. No matter where my roommate or I placed the remote, when we couldn't find it later, it was always right next to him.

I don't know if this one counts as supernatural or just a doll getting way to into his own character. My friend and I were at a meet and I had set up my 70cm boy next to her YoSD girl. He was sitting and she was standing so I have no idea how it happened but he managed to kick her in the head and she fell over, resulting in a small chip on her nose. My boy is a psychopath so it makes sense he'd do that but goodness I have never felt my heart drop so fast. Thankfully, my friend wasn't mad at me for it. Now, when she brings her little girl over, those two do not sit near one another.

17. I don't have any experiences with this of my own, although I really love reading these stories! I have a few secondhand dolls on their way right now, so maybe that will change! I'm kind of excited now to find out! I love the paranormal!

18. I had a case where I had to sell a doll I really loved. Her sculpt, face up, resin color, design of her body just mwah! Everything about her was exquisite. The problem? It started with I didn't spend enough time with her. I had her for two years up to that point, and her eyes grew dim and unhappy. I am a solid believer that dolls have their own personas. They will let you know if they like or hate something you put them in. Going back to my other girl, she grew sad, remorse filled and just unhappy, even being around the other dolls. To me she always seemed to be such a sensitive and really gentle natured doll.

When we moved, my S.O. agreed to our new place because size and its really funky shaped. The walls jut out in weird places, stuff is odd shaped. I love that about this place. (Note* - Take this with whatever grain of salt you need to, since I was 3, I can ahem* with all five senses, interact with ahem* things not of our reality. end note). Our new place is great, only problem, bad juju in our bedroom closet. Mind you, it was bad juju but it was low on the evil scale. My whole thing was ok, you can stay only if you stay in there. no coming out and tormenting nobody. That worked for about 6 months-ish. Then it started to get too big for its britches. Doing things that was not okay. So, couple purification methods later I thought I had beaten the damn thing away. Closet feels clean. I put a couple dolls I was planning on selling in said closet. This includes my drop gorgeous girl, because I felt maybe maybe all she needed was some rest, some tlc, she'd perk up a bit.

That's not what happens. You can feel it. It sits in the lower end of your spine. That chill that hurts to no end. I check on her specifically. Now the bad juju from the closet never had eyes. It was just short, child sized, and black. When I say I opened that doll box and moved that pillow, and her eyes shifted and focused in on me. That felt awful, for a number of reasons. Right after it saw me for the first time through her eyes, I felt hate in that gaze. True hate. I closed that box right up. Stuck her in another area of our place and covered her in a tub of sea salt, box and all. I felt damned in a number of ways, more than anything tat I was stupid enough to allow such a thing to happen. Now, none of my other dolls have ever exhibited possession. This is a first for me.

Eventually, I had to make amends and she was sent off to stay in a storage location where she would not disturb anyone. While I weighed my options. It took a long time, but I was able to make arrangements where she would be with someone else who could take care of her, knowing what's with her. I am still so sad about her. Most likely why I can't have another of her make....

19. In the spirit of this, the week before Halloween, I came looking to see if such a thread already existed! And it does! I look forward to going back and reading more of the stories from others.
      So I don't know, I waffle between any sense of playful belief and thinking I just imagine everything, so please read that I take myself not so seriously here. :XD: Some specific things I found a bit creepy or unusual have been:

The first finger break I ever received in shipping was shipping a doll I owned back to me by a local contact. The appearance of the packing for the doll does not make it surprising that it was damaged, however it was very odd due to the finger positions which finger actually broke. For context, this was a doll I brought home at a very negative time, to a very negative home environment, and I was in a position where I had to flee the country with lack of real financial independence so I had to start selling valuables to try to raise money for expenses so I could get out, and she came on the chopping block. I left her behind longer than the rest of the dolls, hoping she would sell the whole time but she didn't. So when she arrived back to me, with her left ring finger broken off, it was a bit uncanny. I felt so horribly horribly bad for her that I vowed at this time I would at least have to spend more time with her to help heal her anger and grief which I did sense from her, so palpably when I opened that box. Since then we have become a lot closer but she is a very angry doll still. (It has not been so long, wish her the best)

More things from this year, I received a doll from Ebay several months ago, and when I took her out of the box (poorly packed yet unscathed) and was handling her I was just in love, such a powerful aura she had about her. But I began to look closely at her eyes and they seemed, wet? Like, really wet, in fact, she was crying a bit the moisture coming from them was so severe. So I took the eyes out and really tried to clean her head inside and placed them back in, but they kept crying like this. :sweat I do think there is a probably explanation of some chemical reaction between her old eye putty and resin perhaps. After changing the eye putty it did stop, so perhaps it was just a very sad eye putty. The eyes themselves were glass, and I since gave them to a different doll, they aren't causing any problems. As for the doll, I haven't had her that long yet, so I'm not entirely sure what's up with her. My cat is exceptionally attracted to her, and I often catch her gaze in the room, but it takes me a little longer to feel I understand each "spirit" as it were.

On a more lighthearted note I have noticed since my last move (these two dolls were never in the same place before, so they only met this year) but I have two who have become very strong and unlikely friends on the doll shelf. It's a common enough thing to feel that they all fall into poses sitting there that I can interpret in certain ways. But in particular my Doll Leaves Noir seems ridiculously fond of my Date Masamune. I often walk in if they are sitting together and think I'm seeing a new pose from them, where they are engaged in opinionated conversation or telling jokes to one another. Honestly I have never seen any two of my dolls have this kind of automatic chemistry together. When I sit them next to other dolls they don't do it anymore.

Most of my little notes I think don't have much to do with specific events. It's more things that I probably project onto them, but then of course, maybe not! I read very strong energies off of some of them, and some level of individual energy off most of them. but there are a few who are just so immensely heavy from whatever spirit or energy they have in them it really fascinates me.

20. Some prefaces: I'm a Christian, I believe that there's a spiritual world that influences the material world. I'm also convinced that inanimate objects have "spiritual energies": I've heard enough stories from trusted people to believe that things can be haunted/cursed or blessed. But personally, I've rarely felt "energies" (positive or negative) coming from inanimate objects, and never from things I own.

I do "bond" very strongly with my dolls and the characters that they represent, and I'd always attributed any gut feelings as just my own mental projections or preferences. But I recently experienced some things with my dolls that are changing my mind: I'm no longer so sure that it's all "just me".

--

The first encounter was trying to change the eyes of one of my dolls. This is my favourite doll out of my crew, and I'd been wanting to give him a particular pair of orange eyes for a long time as part of his character development. Other dolls of mine have worn the same pair of eyes and all looked great... but this doll never looked good in them. He'd been through two faceups before and both times orange eyes just didn't suit him, whereas any other colour was better. I thought it was just my faceup skill, so I decided to give him a third faceup (I wasn't so happy with the second one, anyway) and try one last time: if this attempt to give him orange eyes didn't work, I'd concede defeat.

I redid his faceup, put him into that pair of orange eyes -- and immediately got a bad gut feeling. Bad in a want-to-throw-up kind of way. This doll always looked good in person and in photos, and this new faceup was the best I'd done for him... but with these orange eyes, he looked completely wrong, almost demonic. And that gut feeling... every time I looked at my doll my stomach would turn, and I'd get a sense of complete discordance in my brain, like fingernails on a board. I never had this feeling before with any of my dolls so it was quite distressing.

I spent a day trying to get used to the eyes, even took this doll out for a photoshoot. But when I went to edit the photos, I couldn't bear to look at them and just closed the software immediately. My doll was not himself; the photos were ruined. What to do? I still wanted him to have warm-ish coloured eyes, and so happened I had a different pair of eyes that were more gold/honey-coloured than orange. Lo and behold: when I gave this doll golden eyes, that awful gut feeling vanished instantly. It was like night and day. With golden eyes, my guy now looked like himself, he was back to being the handsome and agreeable doll I'd always known.

I actually went back to the same location with this doll and retook the entire photoshoot. Same poses, same lighting - same everything. These photos turned out perfect, I managed to get my guy to do some poses he didn't do in the first shoot, and I felt so good about it.

In the end, no matter how much I wanted my doll to have orange eyes, he rejected them, as he'd done since the beginning. Happily we found a compromise in golden ones. Perhaps my gut feeling was just my subconscious mind telling me that the character I was developing for this doll was one who wouldn't have orange eyes. But I wonder whether my doll (his character? his physical sculpt?) had preferences, and if he was doing everything he could to make them very clear to me.

--

There was a second encounter. Let's just say I was doing a certain kind of photoshoot involving two of my dolls. At the end of it, when I was looking through the photos and starting to edit them, I got a funny feeling... a kind of gut check, a "stop, not so fast" feeling. Looking at the photos of my dolls, I got a sense they wanted to tell me something. I'd already experienced that first encounter above, so I decided not to ignore the gut feeling, and instead pause my photoediting plans and give myself time to think about what was going on here.

This turned out to be an interesting experience which prompted a spiritual lesson of sorts. I ended up reflecting on philosophy and my faith/religion, and am making some attitude changes towards life, faith, people and things. With my two dolls and this photoshoot, I got the sense that my dolls were telling me, "Respect who we are." In the end I decided to heed that, and change my original photoediting plan to respect what they said.

Maybe it's a figment of my imagination. My dolls are inanimate objects, no matter how human they look, and I have the right to do whatever I want with them. But just because I can do whatever I want with my dolls doesn't mean I should. Perhaps an inanimate object (not just a doll, but all the other stuff I own) has a kind of claim on its owner, and an owner has some responsibility to the objects they own. I'd actually been thinking about this philosophical angle a lot lately, so maybe my subconscious mind was prompting me to think about it again. If over-anthropomorphizing my dolls prompts reflection about my life and practice, that can't be a bad thing. But... I'm not so sure that it's all in my subconscious. Maybe my dolls have more life and agency to them than I initially thought. Who really knows?