1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Surprisingly Positive Things People Have Said!

Oct 7, 2007

1. Yesterday (gift from a swap) l showed my grandma a outfit that is for my Rini (littlefee) and she said it was cute. I wonder what she will think when l show her Rini.

2. Once, while I was at an airport waiting to board a plane, a nice older lady sort of chased/flagged me down to get a better look at my boy Takanori. She said that, "She was so pretty that I had to get a better look."

So I got on that flight feeling pretty good, even though she thought my boy was a girl. It's just nice to know she thought he was pretty enough to chase me down in an airport to look at him, and not just think he was creepy~:)

3. I volunteer at a gallery in Dayton and every afternoon there's a group of high schoolers that come in. Well I was helping them throw clay for cutting and one asked me about my doll since I had brought him in with me that day (Everyone at the gallery is super nice to him, and it has great ventilation for spraying MSC). I handed her a card for Junkyspot and talked to her about them for a bit before I left that day. The other kids just think my guy is weird and kinda ignore him.

So the next time I came in she slipped off her headphones and told me she ordered one. :D Made my day!

4. I am in college right now, and my roommate is very sweet. She and I are good friends, and she really likes Otavi.

Over winter break I got Haruka's head. She doesn't have a body yet. When I moved back into the dorm I told my roommate and she was a bit freaked out by that idea. I told her I would keep my floating head in a box and out of her sight until I got a body for it.

A few days ago, my roommate asked to see Haruka. So I took her out of the box.

My roommate stared at her for a moment and then said, "She's so beautiful! I can't wait for her to be a complete doll!"

It made me happy. :>

5. I was showing my mother some of the pictures I had taken of my girl, and she said "Wow, she looks almost sad in this picture, yet doesn't in real life, it's like she's magical."
      I felt so happy after that xD

6. When I told my mom I was finally going to get my first doll she asked me if it was going to be from Iplehouse. I gave her a confused look since we'd never look at dolls together. She did her own research. I said no they weren't in my budget. She said Oh well I'm gonna get you one for you birth day. I told her sure I'd b more than happy with some of there dolls.

7. A random lady on the street requested to have a look at my doll, and I did, with caution, because I didn't know what her reaction would be like. But surprisingly, she looked very surprised and smiled, saying that Yun was very well crafted and he had a certain character to it ^^ That made my day~

8. My friend (Raen) bought me a Cherishdoll Vampire Beau head, intended to be my boys sister.. but right before the head shipped, I started worrying that maybe I'd picked wrong, maybe she wouldn't turn out to be his sister after all.. so I brought it up to another friend, who doesn't have dolls.

Instead of looking at me like I was crazy and saying "they're just dolls.." she just nodded and said "Ohh, well... you'll just have to wait and see them together, and then you'll know."

Melted my heart a bit <3

9. Yesterday I was helping my mom sort through a ton of her old earrings to decide which ones to keep and which to donate. At one point she picked up a pair of really tiny ones she knew she'd never wear again and stared at them for a few seconds.

Me: ?
      Mom: It's a shame they don't have pierced ears...
      Me: (hearing "you" instead of "they", as my ears are not pierced) Mmm, yeah.
      Mom: ...or else these would be great for your dolls.
      Me: Yeah, oh well. ......Wait. What??

XD Mom does enjoy seeing/talking about dolls, but it's rare for her to be the one to start the conversation, and her earring comment came so out of the blue (dolls were the farthest thing from even my mind at that moment). I was suprised and happy to know she was thinking about them. ^__^

10. I took one of my dolls down to the historic district near my house to get some pics and a slightly "tipsy" woman walked over to me and said"He is beautiful! Can I get one just like him but life sized?" I thought that was very cute!

11. My mom accepts my hobby but still rolls her eyes sometimes (in a more playful and "are you serious?" way than a mean way).

I got Mimi a new dress and some cute sandals for summer, and after seeing how cute she looked I took her downstairs to show her to my mom and she smiled and said she looked cute.

Then I was about to go down to the basement to work out and I didn't want to take Mimi with me, and when I began to set her up in another room where she wouldn't be seen my mom told me to put her on the kitchen counter (where she was) or the table instead. It was a little gesture, but I was glad that she wouldn't mind my showcasing Mimi or even looking at her. :)

12. I finally told my boyfriend about my dolls and instead of him being like ... e.e; creepy
      he was actually interested in them and said that the photographs i take of them make them even better and can
      see why i buy them :D He is even considering getting one himself!

13. When I made a trip for some shoots with my friend and our dolls a saleswoman said they are 'wonderful'. Nobody said this to our dolls before.

At an other time when we where in on classical concert there were some people who just watched our dolls and some others thought they are nicelooking and the women at the toilet gave some compliments and talked with us about her time with porcelain dolls. It was really surprisingly positive^^

14. Nothin' yet. Hoping for courage to bring my dolls out in public. c:

15. It's really quite fun! :)

I unfortunately get the "They're creepy! DX" sort of reaction a lot, even from some friend's siblings and things who were into the whole Asian culture scene. Though, I did have one really awesome sleepover with my BJD that was fantastic!

For a close friend's birthday sleepover, I brought my doll so she could play with posing and I could teach her some basic BJD stuff (ex, how to change eyes). At that point she was waiting on her first BJD, but it just hadn't arrived yet. Another friend of ours who was there because absolutely entranced by the doll- I let her hold my girl for a little while and she lit up like a Christmas tree! She's now a DoA member with multiple dolls on her wishlist and is working hard to get them! :)

16. Hey stars! Was that last post about me?

Anyway, my dad, even though I have yet to get a doll, had a better attitude about the hobby than my mom. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

17. Today my sister and I were at an outdoor festival hosted by Otakon outside of Camden Yards stadium, carrying our yukata-clad dolls. Since we were so close we decided to walk down to the Orioles team merchandise store to browse around for a bit, and the ladies that worked there kinda shocked us by being genuinely interested in our dolls. They liked them a lot, thought they were really neat, and asked a bunch of questions about where we got them and if they came dressed as they were or if we'd had to customize them ourselves. It definately wasn't the reaction we were expecting carrying dolls into a sports store. XD It was great!

18. hmmm not sure if this counts but...
      When I first got my Bri (DOD male Bee-A) my parents sort of..freaked at the price.
      But recently my mom seems to be sort of okay with him. Like recently she saw a shop that sold BJD accessories and took a name card from them and encouraged me to visit. She's even been asking me where he is now that he's stuck in his box (been meaning to do a a/body blushing for him when I have the time).
      :)

19. Once, me and my significant other were stopped at a restaurant, and we were getting some funny looks from a group of women because we had three of our dolls out with us. At first we both dismissed them as "haters", but that was soon proven wrong. One of the lady's walked up and started asking about where we got them, etc. and gave us info on some BJD convention! Each and every one of the other ladies in the group came up after that and complimented them. It was very nice and surprising.

20. Felt like sharing this one:

During the weekend I was doing room cleaning, among the mess I looked sadly at a large box on the corner.

It contained a doll I had bought second hand last december to keep my first one company. Still in her box, never taken out except to wipe her faceup. It was time to give her up, I was fired right after I bought her and never managed to buy her a single thing. She's been there naked, wig-less, and faceless for months.
      I placed her eyes back in and sat her on my bed. As I looked for my camera my mom came into the room and sat besides her as she ate a snack. She looked at the doll sitting besides her and asked- "And this beautiful thing?"
      -"Oh, I bought her last year but I'm selling her"
      -"Why?"
      -"I was fired right after I got her and she has no clothes, I'll only keep the doll I have clothes for" I replied pointing at the box with clothes for my boy.
      -"You are NOT selling this doll, you'll get her clothes when you can but she is NOT going out of this house. It took you forever to get a girl and besides, she is already here."

Needless to say, I have decided to keep her. And while she is still in her box, just remembering how my mom pretty much stood up to defend my hobby from myself, makes me teary eyed and glad to see she understands. This will probably be the last doll I get rid off, if I ever do XD.