1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Surprisingly Positive Things People Have Said!

Oct 7, 2007

1. I'm sure that any one of you whose followed my posts have read about the really snide, horrible people that live in my complex and how they react to my dolls.

I have a really, really good story that doesn't get told as often as those stories do.

Here it is.... it makes me so happy whenever I think of this story. This is one of the big main reasons I still bring my dolls' out in public despite the mean bullies!

There was a little girl, I'd say maybe 4 or 5 years old, obviously, to me, she was a very old soul and quite clever. Her mother wasn't much older than me (I will be 26 this November,) and they both live in the complex, and I don't actually see them too often, come to think of it.

The first time the little girl, she had her hair up and was all dressed up in really bright colors and she had these cute little shoes. She spotted me taking pictures of my Pukifee, Pip, and she watched me for several minutes, mommy in hand.

Her Mom kept urging the little girl to come along, that she was bothering me. I smiled up at them and said, "No, not really. Pip and I don't mind. You're not in the shot."

And this little young thing's face split into a huge, beaming smile and she said in a very hushed, quiet voice, "Mama....someday I'm going to get a Pip too." (Barely an awed whisper ^_^. )

The Mom asked me, "Where do you get a doll like that, anyway?"

So I told the mother that it was very hard, because I live paycheck to paycheck, so I saved for 2 years to get my doll. I told her that her face sometimes needs to be repainted, so it was also very hard to keep her clean because if I have to get her repainted, I have to spend a little more on her face, too.

She winked at me and told me that someday, I'd see her daughter with one of those dolls, too; because anyway, her daughter was very careful and very nice to her toys.

I haven't seen them since, really, at least, not other than in passing. I'm looking forward to the day the little girl earns her doll. I honestly believe she will have one when she's older!

2. My hubby said something super cute and positive the other day when I was getting ready for a local BJD meet. He asked if he could come. I was shocked because he has seen my dolls and thinks they are interesting - especially the "top heavy" ones with the perfect bodies - ha ha He then said:

"If you let me come I will bring cookies or desert or something..." He came and had a great time; so a very positive day indeed.

3. Oh...here's another story.

I was walking down the street with my yoSD and an elderly man stopped in his tracks to look at me and then starting laughing.

He said, "You have a very pretty little sister, but she's very small, you should feed her some more!!" And then he winked and called a few of his other friends over.

So, I had a gaggle of retirement-home men laughing and chortling over Muggle. It makes ME laugh just remembering it!

4. Older people seem to find them a lot more attractive than highschoolers, lol. When I'd brought mine to school, teachers would be VERY intrigued - one even made my friend and I go around to different classes to show them off. My older coworkers too, think they're really unique, and my grandmother thought they were very beautiful, and that was from seeing them in a photograph where even IIII thought they looked creepy! So, there are others who ARE impressed at first glance :D

5. My boyfriend at first wasn't very impressed with the whole idea of me spending a lot of money on this hobby. Neither were my parents.

But as soon as my Pukipuki Alice got home, everyone seemed to fall in love. My mum is now constantly inviting me 'and Alyss!' over, so that she can 'make that poor girl some clothes.'

She has plenty of clothes. xD

Also- my boy told me that when my two MSD's get here this week, he can even come home a little early so that we can pick the girls up from the post office so they 'don't get lonely overnight.'

6. When I lived with my parents, I had my Volks Kun on the kitchen table and I caught my mom admiring her. We then discussed the different things I'd gotten for her (wig, eyes, etc), and she said she really liked how I put her together, then beeped her nose. It was adorable.

Another friend, who has no interest in dolls at all, was smitten with my Domadoll Cooki when I took the doll on an outing with us. She carried her around, even took a picture of her to send to her boyfriend. She just loved her look and gushed about the unique qualities of my doll. :)

7. At my high school I am in a sewing class. The teacher has let me work on each project for my dolls. When I first went to ask her about it. I was really nervous, but she was really friendly. She told me to bring the doll in and she would help me make patterns for her. I was so happy. My teacher is in her 50s, but now she is interested in my hobby. ^^

8. Most of the people around me are either into dolls themselves or respect them as my hobby or as works of art, but don't really care otherwise. However, I do occasionally get positive comments by strangers (usually surprised ones as they have never seen such a doll) or by the people who otherwise just shrug their shoulders. Last week I dressed up my little Hujoo girl in a home-made white dress, with white ribbons in her twintails, and showed her to my boyfriend (the shrug-type), and his eyes turned big and puppy-like and he honestly went "Awwww! That's adorable!!"
      Ha! Even he is no match for Ichigo's cuteness!:lol:

9. Small, but sweet... A member of my staff at work also sells fancy custom tutus on Etsy. One day when she came in for her shift she handed me a tiny package. Inside was a Yo-sized black and purple tutu she had put together from the remains of her last human-sized commission. She also taught me how to make them myself so I could deck out the rest of The Horde. Very unexpected and very touching.

This story was added because I miss this thread. I want to read more happy stories.

10. well, when my mom actually agreed to help me pay for one of my first boys (birthday is coming up yay! XD ) and said he was BEAUTIFUL i almost went into a traumatic shock! OOO___OOO no kidding...i thought she was going to kill me first and yell until my ears fell off my head....but she didn't...honestly i think my jaw hit the ground in that very moment when she complimented him without me realizing it LOL XD

11. I don't know if this exactly counts, but I was incredibly surprised when an old middle school friend (I'm now 26!) and I caught up, and discovered that she too, had an interest in dolls! It was so unexpected and awesome that it made my week. I've since gained a little confidence in my new found love of BJDs, and have even gotten my best friend interested in them. I was initially really skeptical about talking about them, but I'm so much more at ease knowing I'm not the only one!

12. Just the other day I brought my KDF Ani boy to work with me since I was going to a friend's house afterwards. An older instructor came up and, surprisingly, was very interested. He was going on and on about how pretty he was and how happy he was that I found a hobby I could enjoy and how proud of me he was of me. Even when I mentioned the price all he could say was how great it was and how price didn't matter when it made you happy. It was really nice because most people tend to balk when I tell them how much it had been. He's just a sweet old guy and it made me happy how much he liked my doll and encouraged my hobby (my parents are kinda iffy on it.)

13. I know I'll be happy working in an environment that is accepting and tolerant of what some might consider a bizarre hobby, but it usually takes me several months to work up the courage to introduce one of my resin kids to my coworkers. I had only just started working at my current job, and I was unsure of how I felt about the place, so when another offer came in I had some serious thinking to do.
      We had an office trip that Friday, so I thought, "I'll bring in my two little ones, and we'll see if anyone notices." The trip was to a winery, and I knew from past trips to wineries that they could be gorgeous... and I wanted to take photos of my dolls in a place not smothered in fog. (I live twenty minutes away from San francisco, so there is ALWAYS fog.) I knew that if no one liked them, it wouldn't be a wasted trip... because I'd have some really nice pictures, at least!
      Well, on the bus for the trip, I found myself sitting next to one of the cofounders. She asked me what time it was, and I dug out my phone to check. I have a picture of Reiji, my tiny crobidoll Lance, splashed on the front of my phone -- it's been there for ages, as he's secretly my favorite. (Don't tell the others, though!) She saw it and squealed. "Oh, what is that? It looks so pretty!" And me, latching on to that curiosity, said, "Want to see him? I have him in my bag."
      What followed was a bunch of gasps, squeals, and awe from not only my boss, but some of my other coworkers as well. Some of the boys were a little put off by Reiji -- he is a little crobidoll Lance, so, not exactly cutest face to see -- and they asked me some weird questions, like, "do you take that thing everywhere with you?" But the overall experience was positive. They actually got involved with the photography aspect... and they all wanted to pose with them! one of my fellow artists even made my girl Amelie a hair clip!
      The cofounder actually wants to buy one -- I had to stop her after I sent her links! She told me she was going to buy one over the weekend, and I said, "Don't do that without my help, okay? The website can be weird and you don't know the sizes, yet!" She's a big collector of figurines and other sculptures, so the idea of having one you could customize and pose really appealed to her. I want to make sure she understands the full extent of how much you work you actually have to put in to finish a doll to your liking, first. >.<!!She told me if I ever decide to sell one of my little ones, that I need to talk to her about it, first.
      Now my coworkers are curious and supportive when I talk about the dolls -- especially my art team. (I'm on the art team.) Reiji comes to work with me often and I'm excited to show off my new Honey Delf once he arrives! And of course, I backed out on the other offer right away. I've never had coworkers get excited about my dolls before, and it was a wonderful feeling.
      (I'm glad I turned down the other offer, too. I got my official offer from my current company, as I was only a temp before... and the offer included plenty of vacation time and a raise from what I was making! Of course, you know where my mind went. "A raise? That means more dolly stuff!" Hahaha.)

14. This thread is giving me the warm fuzzies :aheartbea

I have a good friend who thinks my dolls are both pretty and unsettling. She's a reasonable, inquisitive sort of person, and seemed curious about why she couldn't quite decide whether she liked them or not...I explained the Uncanny Valley Effect to her (google it. Explains most peoples' doll phobia) and she said "oooh! That makes a lot of sense." She had asked me one day if June was ever going to get new clothes (she'd been wearing the same outfit for months), so when the clothes I had just ordered arrived, I texted her a picture of June in a new summer dress. She replied with "aww! June is so cute! :D"

I know that doesn't sound like much, but it really made me smile. My friend never says anything she doesn't mean, and it was nice to know that she could appreciate the beauty of my doll instead of following the knee-jerk "eek!" reaction.

15. My mom's still skeptical of my new hobby but she does think my Littlefee looks cute in his new Dollhearts outfit. :)

Kind of surprising since she nearly hit the floor once I told her how much he costs.

16. I attended a Doll & Bear Show and Sale today with one of my SD boys(mostly because I was looking for 1/3rd scale props)....But the amount of doll collectors(who weren't necessarily into BJDs, but other types of doll)/hobbyists who complimented and asked questions about my boy? Was very unexpected. It always blows my mind when people recognize one of my lot as an ABJD and compliments the sculpt/outfit/asks questions/etc. Mostly because people usually don't seem to really notice or care most of the time.

I think Caleb's ego grew today, however. All of those compliments probably went straight to his head, lol. XD

17. I will admit that I haven't yet told my mother about my doll hobby. I'm 38 years old, and I can't see her taking to this well, especially since she's one of the more frugal people I know. However, other than my friend's boyfriend, and my son's friend, who both think they're creepy, I've had a lot of good reactions to my dolls. :) Even my 16 year old son is interested in them now, and talking about saving up for one. Unfortunately, he can't even save up for a bag of Skittles, so this should be amusing.

18. My story is more on the sweet side than positive, but it makes me smile all the same.

My Mom is the kind where as long as I have money for rent, bills, and food whatever is left I can do with as I please (although the Mommy Guilt was an all time HIGH when she saw how much these guys actually cost) I was knitting an SD sweater for my 2 new 60cm boys that she doesn't know about yet in the car going somewhere when she looked over and said "Those arms look too long for Kurogane, he'll have to fold them up." He's my 50cm Souldoll Sharics.

I almost dropped a stitch I was astounded that she was treating them like actual people when usually she has a vauge disinterest to them. She'll drop me off at nearby meets and let us use the coolers and fold-away table for outdoor meets but she never really bothered with them. It makes me giggle everytime I think about it.

19. I am loving reading through this thread! So many positive vibes!

I've actually had overall good reactions from people about my dolls. The strange thing about it is, most older women (60yrs and up) have been the best about them. I have a few women on my facebook who always request photos of my dolls. One of the older ladies at my church is actually helping me construct clothing for my Leeke Mikhaila. xD

20. I can't put the picture here because Chaeri's technically OT for DoA, but I had a photo of myself and Chaeri taken at the last convention we attended and put it up on another doll board. It got lots of nice comments, but the most surprising one was when someone said Ri-ri and I actually look alike! It surprised me, and I personally still don't see it, but it's a nice compliment because she's so very beautiful.