1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching sizes?

Apr 4, 2011

1. I own SDs and immature MSDs, with some tiny Pipos anthros on my wishlist. I believe I'd have real problems changing sizes -- if it involves changing scale. I'm talking about props and environment: I entered the hobby via SDs, so I've already established in my mind the scale and sizing of my "doll universe" through them. All subsequent dolls have to be coherent and in scale; I can fit tiny anthros in, but I know I'll never get slim minis no matter how much I like them, because they just won't scale with SDs the way that immature MSDs do. (I'm pretty sure I'd be singing a completely different tune if I'd entered the hobby via slim minis!)

Basically, I have no problems with different sizes -- provided they all scale together. But I am also quite set in my ways: I don't want to go through the hassle of changing out wigs, clothing and shoes! Might as well stick to the sizes I already have. :XD:

2. I had a SD as my first bjd ever, and then i went to ta bobobie tiny, to a littlefee and then a minifee, ive bounced all over the sizes, and i reciently sold my SD for a MSD im not at all sad about selling her and im looking forward to my comming MSD

3. I'm another mixed collection type. I often wanted to try something new when I got a new doll, so I've got from YoSD to SSDF (70cm). Lately, though, my 65+ plus group has held my attention quite firmly for some time, which makes me wonder if I should get out of the little guys. But in the past there were always times I'd go back to the little cuties over the sexy big guys, so I'm assuming that will happen again. If I did get rid of my MSDs and YoSDs, it would be to reshell them in SD and 65+ size -- yikes! :sweat And I think there are things I would miss out on without having this range of sizes. And as mentioned by other posters, trying to restrict myself doesn't seem to work anyways!

4. Variety is the spice of a doll collection's life! :)

I started with minis but within a month or so had an SD (short, but an SD all the same). I've gone around and around on sizes, with ultra-tinies coming and going out of the collection. And yet I just got a 10 cm teeny and several yo-sized chibis... and I keep thinking I might get a realpuki at some point. And still there's a teeny corner of what passes for a brain that wants one of the AoD 90cm guys some day.

Whatever works. It seems as though once the guilt feelings pass (I'm selling my doll? ack!) there's always someone interested in SOMETHING out there, so we cycle around and around. It's all good.

5. I have a mix, having started with SD, throwing some tinies, even a 70cm (that I plan to sell) and am even saving for an MSD. Out of my dolls, I was fortunate enough to find and now own my grail doll. As of right now, I'm reshelling and down sizing my collection, and even if I start completely from scratch, I know I will never sell my grail doll. Even if it doesn't get the attention it once did, I know if I put it away for a bit, and "rediscover" it at a later date, my interest would be renewed...not to mention, a fresh set of eyes, different wig, and new faceup can always make me swoon once more.

6. I also have a mix. It started out with a tiny, then I saw beautiful pictures of MSD and thought that was my size.
      Sold a couple of tiny's to regret it later.. Now I would love to buy a SD, I never had one before. But I am afraid that I will like that size so much to I will want more..
      I would be very happy if I could stick to one size but it almost seems impossible for me.
      Happy to read that other people experience the same..

7. Thank you for so much input everyone!

I've decided to switch to MSD (for more reasons than just the size, I am exhausted with trying to give characters to my dolls again and again) and sell the SDs I have now.

If SDs begin to creep in again, that's fine but those I have now do need to go I think. Still don't know what to do about my Sard though...

8. I also have a mix, a crew of ten SD (My favorite size with what I started) for the older characters and a couple of MSD for the younger ones (Curiously my only two own creation characters). I have never ever thought about switching their size nor have plans to do so either. I am really glad with the size of each of them. The only change I made was not about size, but about complexion. I transformed three of my SD BJD into hybrids to fit better their characters' bodies and a fourth SD is in that same process because of the same reason.

9. I started with a 60cm Obitsu then I played around with (OT) Hujoo's which got me interested in actual ball-jointed dolls (no offense to my beautiful Obitsu but they are not ball-jointed). My second doll was a BBB Devlin (still my favorite). My third doll was my 90cm AOD guy. Then I got an unknown 11cm. I just bought three IMP babies and they are totally not the right size for me and I'm only keeping one, the tree boy. I'm expecting a DZ tiny which is 11cm. I want at least one puki and a Wishel.
      I really love the teeny ones. They can be more difficult to deal with; face-ups that tiny are scary to do. I don't have wigs for anyone. my Obitsu has a rooted mohawk, my BBB has a mohawk, my 90 cm is a zombie so he just wears a hat, etc. It's been fairly easy to find clothes for everyone except 90cm. So my teeny ones stay with me in the living room and get lots of attention while my 90cm stays in his stroller, covered up. I play with him maybe once a month. I love being able to tuck my Devlin in my purse. I'll probably never buy another large tiny like the IMP babies. I just hate the size. It would have to be a very unusual doll like my tree boy to get me to go to that size again. If they ever make a doll larger than 90cm I will probably love it and my dream is a bjd an inch tall. Everyone fits together well since everyone is not human. My BBB likes to take my 90cm's headcap off and ride him like a mech...so, yeah, no problem with size here.

10. I switched. From MSD's and SD's down to Yo-sized.

Well, it's not that I necessarily switched. It's just that at the moment, I can only have a few dolls and I'd rather have a couple of balls of cute that don't take up too much room over one or two big handsome ones. I do intend to go back to the big guys when things settle down and I get more free cash and space to display them, but for now I'm all with tinies.

To be honest, it wasn't all that bad. I had one hell of a monster "closet cleaning" thread going - I think I got 17 inquires about the stuff I was selling in a matter of a few hours, there was just so much of it (I had to make a formal spread-sheet to keep track of all of the sold/on hold/shipped/arrived items). I think the biggest problem on my end is realizing that I had absolutely no idea where to look for tiny stuff, because I was so used to buying for bigger dolls.

11. I started with MSD's then went to 70cm and now am at SD it took me a while

12. I already planned to just do YID (60cm) and have one doll and that be it. Then, I planned on an EID boy (70cm)- and finally, a JID girl (45cm). Well, we see how that turned out. I have a 25cm cutie on his way and several tinies on my wishlist now!

I think it's possible to have a lot of different sizes, sure! I think that my EID/YID dolls will receive SLIGHTLY less attention, but that depends. I'll still photograph them and possibly carry one or two with me to a convention. I think that the JID girls I have planned will receive the most- just because they're cute and they're girls! Plus, it's an easy size to carry around without TOO much fear of losing them... and I'll probably buy a few outfits for them rather than just one. My tinies will probably stay at home but be loved, cherished, and photographed a lot. I just wouldn't want to accidentally lose them by taking them somewhere.

Err, so yeah. I don't think you can technically 'overlook' a doll. People will have preference to sizes... but I'd like to think that all of my dolls will be loved equally.

13. I currently have all sizes, my largest being 70cm and my smallest being a super tiny doll factory fox. I have two sd, two msd, and one tiny currently, and out of them all the msd group seems to be getting the most attention. My large Soom boy, I don't go near because I'm afraid to damage him. My Luts delf girl is floppy, and hates to stand, so they both get neglected. I find restringing a msd doll to be tricky, so I fear the larger ones when it comes to that too. ^^; But the tinies aren't any better,.. so hard to restring!

Lately, I've really been leaning towards selling the larger two, and just switching down to msd and smaller. Larger sized dolls are awesome, but honestly, I really only like looking at them. As far as handling them goes, I just don't tend to much. Just kind of admire from afar thing. The msd's for sure get the most attention. So hard to decide.