1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking dolls outside...

Jan 7, 2007

1. I used to take them out with me a lot, regardless of the size. It was always a bit of a pain, but it didn't bother me. They generally got strange looks (or people would make a point of not looking at them). Anymore, though, I only take them out in public if I have a very definite photoshoot in mind, just because it's a pain.

2. I was actually thinking of making my own special tote, so it would be possible to carry my doll with me (in a sitting position). I'm not sure how the inside would work, aside from using cardboard to create stiff panels. I would need to make a "seatbelt" or two, and a pouch for my stuff, although I could just have her hold a soft handpurse. On the outside panels what I plan to do is make them all velcro, then design detachable panels to put on so my tote always matches my outfit. Just waiting for my Lubi to come, so I can understand the measurements I need. ^__^
      I am picking up my interest in lolita fashion again, so a parasol is not only an appropriate accessory, but a great shade for my dollie's sensitive "skin". I think if you have an affinity for the fashion, and take your doll out, it's something you must obtain. Hrmm..come to think of it, "velcro parasol" would save money, though it would probably look clumsy. XD

3. I've taken Kyle out a couple of times. I've only really gone to the mall with him once. Got stared at alot ^^; I'm probably the only person in town that owns a BJD (for now at least, my gf is getting one! ^^) and it's a college town so it's just weird to see a college student with a doll, lotsa stares, whispering and people pointing and laughing. u.u

Kyle also went to work with me one day because one of my bosses wanted to see him! I do go out driving with Kyle a lot too! He sits on a stack of books and then I buckle him in X3 It's fun hehe. I'm hoping once he has Drake (my gf's soon to arrive doll) they can go out more!

4. So far the weather hasn't been cooperative for taking my dolls any farther than the back yard but once spring arrives I plan to take them various places for photoshoots. Oh, almost forgot, a couple of them did go to a friend's house over the holidays & they've been to club of course.

5. Except for doll meet-ups, my girls don't go any farther than the yard. I don't really like drawing attention to myself, plus I'd be too worried something might happen to them.

6. Hi Sam!! Thought your username looked familiar! (I'm mspolly on TIB) :) Congrats on your 2 Bernards, btw! I've only got 1 MSD sized boy, but since getting him, he's been following me around pretty often when I'm out (and neglecting my Bs!). Don't have a 'proper' doll carrier, but I do have a bag that fits him nicely with his cushions, so it's easy for me to have him around and just when it takes his fancy, he'll just pop out of the bag for a breather or just some photos. Of course size wise, he's just a tad more cumbersome than Blythes (he's 45cm), but he's light for his height, and the bag I use is light too, so it's not that big a bother. And I love the spontanaity (sp?) of being able to take photos of him on a whim in the real world.

I've not had strangers with 'grabby hand' syndrome (I might smack them if they did! :D) or had any weird stares when I'm out with Jun posing him, or have him on my arm at all - people don't seem to be bothered by it, and honestly, nowadays, I think you'd have to do way more to get attention out in public! Funny thing is, I've had more questions/reactions from my Blythes in public than I have with Jun! :D

Can't wait till your boys are home! Any idea when that might be?

7. It always is such a hassle to take dolls anywhere, between the weight, the extra bag, and then making sure everything that is on them remains on them, that I rarely take mine out unless I have a very specific purpose for it.

The random attention you get hauling one around is not worth the arm cramps.

8. I usually drag one of my boys with me when I go out. ^^ There are some exceptions (if I'm just going out to eat, for example, or when going to family gatherings since my family doesn't really... appreciate... my boys the way I do), but I enjoy having them with me. I have a great messenger bag that any of them will fit into comfortably, along with all the usual "stuff" I carry around, so I don't have the hassle of an extra bag. Sometimes I get odd looks, but I also have had many great conversations as a result of having them with me, so I think it's worth the odd stare or two. ^^

9. I don't have one yet, but I can see the problems of taking dolls outside.

However, I live at some of the weirdest places in California (or at least I keep telling myself: SF and Santa Cruz.) So... instead of having weird looks given to me, people actually wanted to be seen with those things. I love the people who respect me enough to take pictures around the places and respect the people who didn't want anything to do with the dolls. The only problem I had seen once was during a doll meet when people kept asking all the attendees if the dolls were for sale, and we almost got kicked out for having a "display" for people to buy them. Ummm... no, not for sale :P

10. I take Trys with me all over the place! I never really found him a problem to carry at all tbh, before I had a carrier, I just used to sit him in my handbag and go, no worries :) He is a mnf mind you, so I can see why lugging SD's about might be tougher, but hey, I've frequently trailed both my dolls all over the place without a problem, so I guess it depends on whether or not you can be bothered with the extra hassle.

I've found, to be honest, that 90% of the people who walk by me when I'm carrying him won't even notice, the 10% that do will most likely stare, and very occassionally ONE might pass comment. It's never really bothered me :)

11. I have a carrying case when I wanna take them anywhere, but it can only fit two dolls, so if I want to take more than 2, I have to carry them in my arms. I take them to work with me on the weekends :3

Most people tend to either not notice or actively ignore them; very rarely do people actually say something, but when they do, it's usually good natured XD Funny though; I have been stopped by tourists while carrying Scara so they can get a photo of one of them standing next to us >>;

12. I think one of my favorite things is dragging dolls through security in the airport. I've had so many security guards stop, do a double-take, roll the bag back through the x-ray machine again, then flag the bag for individual inspection, only to have the person inspecting it look completely baffled when they find a doll inside.
      It's pretty time-consuming and I'm pretty sure that everybody in line behind me hates my guts, but the guards always seem to get a kick out of it. I get a lot of "Whoa, that is NOT what I was expecting to be in there!"

13. Ooh, hello! Nice to see a familiar face :D I'm anticipating that people will notice as they sometimes do with Blythes. I don't mind either way, as long as people don't touch. I'm even a bit reluctant to let family and friends touch my girls, I might just be a bit precious about them though. ^^ Some of it's more aesthetic [I comb their hair just perfect and then someone picks them up and ruffles it! :X] I've never had any strangers actually try to mess with them either, thankfully. I'd find that extremely rude. I mean, you wouldn't go up to a stranger and grab, say, their handbag - they'd scream blue murder! XD

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's interesting how people have such diverse feelings about taking their dolls out, through shyness or lack thereof. And I'm glad to hear there haven't been many negative experiences, and more random compliments ^^

xxSam

14. Mine stay in unless they're going to a very specific location, IE, a doll meet or out for a photoshoot that I have in mind. They don't come with me just slumming around town because they're extra weight and I don't want to take the risk of face-up damage.

15. When I got my first boy I thought I would take him everywhere with me, but that isn't the case as I learned. They are a bit of a pain to haul around, to make sure that you're in a good area where people won't bump into them and where they will be safe. And the looks I get have never really been positive, most people tend to think I'm out of my mind. I don't mind what people think of me really, but having people stare you down while you're trying to shop or just go about your merry away is a bit of a downer.

16. The exact same thing happened to me and a bunch of my friends at a doll show. We were having a mini-meet up and had our BJDs set up on a cafe table in the same exhibition hall as the doll show, and one of the expo workers came over and said "You can't sell in here unless you have a sales table." Like ANY of us would have sold our dolls! There were so many curious people standing around, though, that I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

It is so much easier to go out in public with your dolls if you know you have friends waiting for you. *grin*

Linda S.
      galatia9

17. My friends and I often go out after work and whatnot to places like Steak and Shake or Dunkin' Donuts for coffee or just to hang out and talk. We often take our dolls with us. XD Everyone that works at either place has gotten so used to seeing us with the dolls that they don't even give us a sideways glance.
      Lots of other customers will come up and want to look at them and play with them and we're all pretty cool about that. :) There are the occasional few however that give us rather odd looks. XD Never bothers us though.

18. I only take Eponine out when there's a doll meet or if there are any other doll people with me. It's good to have friends with me too!

19. When my Chiwoo pops up in the mail, I'm sure he and I will go quite a few places together. ^_^ If I'm going to my friends houses, then he's sure to tag along.... a restaurant? Maybe, depending on which. (Red Robin, yea, Hooters... uhmmm no (and I only go for the food, trust me))

I think I'll carry him quite a bit, and when he's not with me, I plan on buying a big bookcase and making him a little room up top in one of the cubbies. ^_^ It'd be cute.

I also plan on taking him with me to parks to get pictures taken of him... Once I get a digital camera (which will come after this doll, and after my Ducan) (Gotta photoshoot them together hehe)

I understand that they can become a bother (because of attention, or them wanting things I don't have money for (happy?)), so he won't go with me if I'm going to put gas in my car or like... going to pick up a few groceries (mainly because I think they'll want cheetos, and I don't do those.)

20. I've never taken mine further than my back garden, other than when I was moving to a different city, and when I was taking them to my art college interview (they were modelling clothes I'd designed and made). Its slightly cos, even though my friend's think they're cool, I still feel a little old to be carrying a doll outside walking down the street. And partly cos, in the town I used to live in..there were a large number of...unsavory people shall we say...who here we call Neds or Chavs. And I'm petrified they'd damage my babies. Now I live in a really busy city and I'm scared again they'd get damaged. Though I don't think many people would give me a second glance in this town with them, edinburgh's more accepting. I might take them out in my bag sometime...then do a photoshoot somewhere 'safe'. But I wouldn't just carry them around. I might take them to the nearest goth shop though - All the people who work there dress as gothic pirates. So they've gotta be cool.