1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking dolls outside...

Jan 7, 2007

1. I take my Volks dollfie our with me all the time. She's as big as a barbie, so I never have to worry about holding her with my arms getting tired.
      --Although, She gets plenty of attention with her blue hair. :)

I'm pretty sure I'll take Dominic with me a lot, if not just in his case. I know He'll be practicly LIVING in the mall, since all the people who work at Hot Topic and the Vans store are waiting for me to bring him. :3

I think Dom will like the attention anyway. <3

2. Hmm. Do you think some dolls get more stares than others? Not to say that any kind of doll looks weird, but depending on the size, the type, (as in a little girl doll vs. a tall Gothic guy doll) and maybe gender, perhaps it may have something to do with it. But, I'm sure to "normal" people, anyone carrying a doll around seems odd to them.

I'm STILL waiting for my MSD F-02 and when I get her, I do plan on taking her out with me when I go shopping for fabrics and other little knick-knacks (so I can get things that are the correct size). I'm trying to prepare myself for the possible negative stares and comments, because I haven't had much experience with them.

3. It certainly is easier and I remember that little episode. I'm okay with taking them in public though if it's not an area that I frequent a lot. I just figure I'll never see any of those people again anyway.

Clara
      Mysticaldolldreams

4. I have taken mine to meet ups, and the little one I use to have went alot of places, but seeing as I have soon 4 SD and 1 super sized guy to soon join in as well, I would unless a meet up take 2 at most and only for a special picture story. I have 5 acres of land so I am pretty happy with what I have at home to do what I want.

MK

5. As much as I would love taking Haku everywhere with me when I get him I don't think my friends would appreciate it XD He would fit relatively well in my death note bag but I would imagine if I'm going to be spending hours at a mall I don't want him over my shoulder and of course my homies would probably not want to be seen with me ha ha. So I think I'll take him places like the movies and such rather than carting him around to inconvenient places. But I rarely go out anyway so it's not a huge problem :D

6. right now i have 2 tall girls a tall boy and a msd girl. I dont know how I would feel about taking them out besides a dolly meet, I prob would if a friend did it with me.

7. I don't travel with them unless it's to a doll-related event (con, dolpa, etc).... they're big, they're heavy, they're expensive, they're fragile. So if I'm just going on vacation, they stay home. And no, they don't come out to dinner or the movies or other doll-unrelated stuff.

But taking them outside for photos, sure, all the time! It's too scenic here to only do indoor photos! Pop 'em in the carrier bag & hit the streets. I live in San Francisco, and people really don't blink at this kind of weirdness. Sometimes I just take the dolls to photo-locations in my neighborhood... Even the street-junkies turn harmless, and do no more than say, "Oh, now, isn't she pretty". (I don't think it's worth my time to explain "it's a boy" to crackheads. ^^)

When I take the dolls to the Park or the Piers, or any other big tourist-attraction landmarks around here, I do have to deal with a lot of crowds & curious questions. Most folks are well-meaning, and just want to know WTF... things like "Did you make those?" "How cool! Where do they come from?" and for me, most often, "Wow, lookit those BOOTS! I never seen boots like that on a doll before!" I may answer them depending on my mood, or I may pretend I don't speak English. When you're crouched very intensely with a camera next to the doll, people don't generally try to step in & touch it or anything. Or maybe they can see in my eyes that I'll bite them if they try.

Funny thing about lugging the carrier-bags around town: I have noticed that when there's 3 or more of us in a group, all carrying those long doll-bags, people DO stop to ask "So what instrument do you girls all play?" :roll: We have given answers ranging from "AK-47", to "Electric didgeridoo", to "It's not an instrument, but I can't tell you what it is or I'd have to kill you".

8. Weeeell... I don't have my boy yet, but I most likely won't be carting him with me everywhere. Just not practical, you know?? I've got enough junk to carry, what with all the textbooks. *_* But, if I ever did take him with me, and it probably will happen eventually, I wouldn't be embarrassed. After all, stranger things have happened. And if someone was actually rude enough to make some sort of crass comment about him, I'd whip out my particularly vindictive sense of humor and embarrass them in return. :sneaky Because I'm not always nice. And I am very, very good at twisting words.:mwahaha

9. One of the first things I bought for my boy was a carrier, so that I could take him places without having to worry about dropping him/losing his wig/people touching him with dirty hands. Of course, it's a coffin bag, so if I wanted to be inconspicuous, I lose :lol: Still, it looks roomy enough for toting an extra outfit or two, a wig brush and the camera. Next time I'm near a hardware store I'm getting a small padlock so I can lock the zipper tabs together--yes, I am that paranoid!

10. I take my dolls out shopping with me sometimes. I like to carry really huge purses, so they can sit in there like a chihuahua while i do my thing. I never really pay attention to the looks other people give me. I used to have my hair hot pink and I still dress like I'm going out on the town everyday; so I'm used to stares and actually enjoy the attention.

I've never taken more than one doll out with me other than to doll meets just because they're kinda heavy and I'm a wimp.

11. So far I haven't taken my doll anywhere. I'm waiting until I finish her current dress and get her some shoes and stocking, because I don't want to carry around my doll in a half-made dress in bare feet! X3
      But aside from that I'm not oppose to doing it, in fact I plan to bring her along to the mall and on trips for clothing fabric and maybe a few other things. I don't care if people look at me funny either, I'd even like to buy/make similar gothic lolita outfits for the both of us for such occasions.

12. I have taken my dolls out with me on occasion and have gotten strange looks.....none that bothered me enough to not do it again though! It's not something I do on a regular basis, but if I want to get accessories in proper scale, then they come along to "try things out" :)

13. I almost always take Kaito out with me wherever I go (I feel guilty coming home only to see him sitting there on my bed, staring at me :sweat). I'm used to lugging around lots of junk when I go out (I usually carry a one liter bottle of water and a few books with me wherever I go and thats when I'm travelling light!). However Shreds stays at home unless I've got someone else with me to carry him or we are going somewhere out of town or where I know I will be sitting idle for a long time. I mean he's an MSD so the weight is nothing but its awkward trying to balance an SD and an MSD in my arms whilst walking around. I really need to get a rolling suitcase because I've got more dolls coming and no bags big enough to hold them all :sweat

The looks and comments don't bother me at all, I find them amusing.

14. Aside from dollmeets, I'll take my doll to lolita fashion get-togethers and sometimes to the park, but I'd feel pretty uncomfortable taking him downtown, to the mall, or any other high-traffic place. I work in a field where playing with dolls at my age would be considered "unhealthy," so I'd rather not run the risk of bumping into a colleague or client with my doll in hand. ^^;;

15. For me... I take my boys a lot of places. :D They've both even been to my school on occasion, and to a lot of other places. I don't bring them to places that are inapporiate, though, unless I have explicit permission from the parties involved. Don't want to offend anyone;;;
      But yes, I've taken the kids to school, to WalMart, shopping, I've travelled with them numerous times~! They're both SD (57cm-~61cm), but for some reason I don't understand why people say they are so heavy and tiring?? I've never thought that, and their beauty inspires me. So, I've no problem taking them places even by myself although it isn't always for pictures LoL
      I think it would be best to have one or two friends tag along, though.
      Receiving curious questions is always heart-warming to me, but sometimes there are too many for me to answer all by myself *_*

16. I usually take one at a time carried in my arms. The only ones who will never get carried out and about all day again are the 70s, just too big. The minis work the best or the lightweight Obitsu 60.

17. I love taking mine out places. I take them of course when shopping for doll things, on thursday I took my Midori to Hobbycraft looking for a doll carrier (which I found btw) and the checkout lady knew about bjd's and we chatted about her a bit. I also take them out when I want to do photo shoots and when I want to specifically show people. She's at work with me now as I type this too!

18. Well, it's a funny story... When I first got my Hound, I was so excited that that day, I went shopping with my mom tagging him along. Oh, and he was also bald. lol (I got his wig a week later) So I'd understand why people were staring at me, but surprisingly, those were all curious stares, and not the kind that somewhat looked like 'whoah, I wouldn't want to get close to that person.' And of course I go to the movies with him if my doll friend tags along :) Buuuut! I'm getting an DOC Ivan (a Vampire! <3) for the purpose of carrying him around with me (much easier than 70 cm Hound, no?). I encounter some friends in the mall occasionally, and they tell me that it's kinda weird to carry a doll around, but it's the friendly kind of comment, and having white-over-black hair and a pretty radical dress style, holding a doll in my arms wouldn't be that much weirder. <3

(Oh and I do get only positive comments, if any, from strangers) :)

19. I haven't taken mine out for an outing yet but I'm looking forward to doing a few outdoor photoshoots at some point. I think I'd keep her hidden away in my bag until it was time for the shots though.

20. Now that I've taken Dante out twice I don't feel nervous about taking him places. Only nerves really for other people [if they get in the way of his camera shot etc XD]. I usually carry Dante in one of my big handbags so he's on my shoulder and close to me. I'll then take him out, position his cushions and sit him so he's resting on his knees and he'll then tend to slouch out of my bag haha XD At the meet I went to at the zoo though I did carry him in my arms a lot and it did hurt my arm after awhile despite being an MSD..but that could be because I was holding onto him so tight XD

I didn't get any bad reactions and nor did the other people I was with. I got a lot of positive reactions - how beautiful he is, where to buy one just like him X'3 Really sweet comments <3