1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking dolls to school or college?

Feb 21, 2005

1. my past college before i transfer to the new college...used to have alot of doll owner like akihoshi they all..but after i trasfer...this new college seem to be so normal to me...they all like..err...i dun think they have interest on this!!!!:|

probably think i'm a weirdo...neh...but i like being something special in college...:lol:

2. I'm sorry I asked the same question that's been asked before! :sweat

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I was freaking out because I know that in high school (a place I don't think I'll ever take Rika) there are a lot of people that don't care about other people's stuff, and some people would go out of their way to do something to a BJD if they saw one. I have a 1/6 Dollfie as well, and I took her to school once, and people kept taking her from me and pulling her head off and her wig off and just really being mean people.

I guess I should realize that people in college are a bit too old for things like that, huh?

That's cool. When I get a dorm, Rika's getting her own little space too! lol.

Lara

3. I take my dolls to college, granted I'm now a Junior and live in apartment dorms where I have seperate spaces but I've never had a problem. Usually though in dorm rooms you get your own storage area, and you can keep your doll there while you're away. It may now seem practiculary dignifed to hide your doll in a closet or a drawer but it works.

4. Okay, I'm oooooold . . . I automatically thought of this in terms of bringing the BJDs to my office at college. And if I weren't department chair, and forced to *seem* serious and professional all the time, I would!

Having had the worst roommate in the universe when I was in college, I wouldn't have dared to take anything that I really cared about until I finally got a single room. I would come back from classes all the time to find that my roommate' had invited her friends in to go through my stuff (not stuff that was sitting out! Stuff in closed drawers and a closed trunk and behind closed closet doors). I agree with whoever suggested waiting to see what your roommate is like, and what the layout of the space is like, before you decide for sure.

5. my first semester at college i practically had a revolving door on my dorm room. people were coming in and out, in and out. see...i had tons and i mean tons of DVDs, i was the local blockbuster.

anything that i didn't feel comfortable with people having access too i put in my plastic footlocker, i had a heavy duty lock on it. so...if you feel uncomfortable with who you are living with...than put your doll in there when you are out for long periods of time.

and remember...if you live with someone else. just as you have friends that may come visit, so will they, and most likely when you are out.

i hope you have a fun time and DO get along with your roomie, it makes things MUCH easier. >.<

6. I live in the dorms and always have the boys with me at school. I have only had one incident where my roommate and my room was broken into but that was before I brought them. It was a freak thing, though and both of us were like "WTF??" since our campus is in a reeeaally small town and the worst thing that ever happens is...I dunno...harrassment from a drunk. I've never worried about the boys, though, most people just leave them alone (they think they are weird). Maybe you will be able to get your roommate hooked like I did mine ^^ Then she would defend Rika as if she were her own. Or...you could make her terrified of her if that didn't work (put her above her bed while she sleeps, etc). She certainly wouldn't bother her then XD

7. People don't instantly mature in the space of a few months and there will always be people who will try to destroy your possessions. I say you should take them with you! Just make sure you have a safe place to put them when you're away, though. You never know what kind of roommate your going to get or what your roommate's friends will be like.

With the last roommate I had, I had to lock EVERYTHING up (CDs, computer software, etc.) and I left my dolls in the closet whenever I was in class or left the room for any reason. Bleh.

8. If you have the scope for a small locked storage box or something to keep your doll in while you're out I say go for it ~ Maybe scout out what the room will be like, and get to know your roommates a bit first if you're nervous but so long as you're careful and keep in mind what's been said here in this thread (sharing room = roommate + potentially not so trustworthy friends XD) then all should be fine.
      I'm shipping myself off to college this september and it didn't even cross my mind to leave my boys behind. They will come with - even if I get a shared room - and I shall find a place to lock them safely away whilst I am out. <3

Best of luck!

9. I guess I was lucky at college, apart from one of my first room-mates friends who decided to cut apart my sweater because I'm pagan, I hardly saw room-mate #1, and room-mate #2 kicked me out and I lived by myself for most of my four years, so I could bring whatever I wanted.

10. The storage box idea is a good one. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm hoping that my best friend and I will be roomies...we're just waiting for acceptance letters, and then we'll probably be roomies.

If that doesn't happen though....I'll be really careful and see what things are like.

Thanks guys!

Lara

11. My college doesnt have dorms (British, and all...) and although I live literally across the road (takes approx. 90 seconds to walk from my bedroom to my class) I wouldnt take my dolls there, unless they stayed with me-and I mean really stayed, like in my bag, on my shoulder, the whole time.
      I have a locker, but I cant bear the thought of leaving a dolly in there (not without a flashlight and a book!) and so much stuff has stolen from our art rooms on a regular basis (by other students, which is the really hurtful part) I hardly leave anything sitting around-not even while I nip to the toilet.
      A few weeks agoa window was smashed in and my model was littered in broken fragments. Im gutted as it was on my desk, and isnt particularly smooth so theres tiny glass fragments (the type that are invisible, but the cut they leave isnt) all over it, and I cant take it anywhere because of that.
      I brushed it off, thanked my lucky stars it hadnt been smashes...and within two days it was covered in splinters as workmen hammered a wooden panel over the window, without bothering to cover anybody's stuff!

Id probably sneak my doll out in my bag, but she'd be quite uncomfortable in there, so for fabrics etc Ill just take a photo around with me to match with.

12. My room mate started saying that the dolls were really creepy, but after a few months of brainwashing, she fell in love with Shall , and now treats my Jac like an entirely different being from myself. (Our birthdays are coming up and she wants to buy a present for me and for him XD) It's the best if your room mate is understanding , i think!

13. I've had four different roomates over my span of college and nothing bad has happened to any of my stuff except one accidentally broke my computer mouse once, but she got me a new one. Really, it seems most people are reasonable to live with. Besides, they're probably not going to mess with your stuff because they know you could mess with theirs.

14. one of my roommates in my freshman year was such a mess up she broke a ton of my stuff, her mom would be cutting me checks every other month.
      second year i had such a bitch for a roommate i put a lock on my door that she couldn't remove i was so afraid of her getting in. my other roommates were super cool though.

15. There are 4 BJDs at my college - shared between Aikoe and I. Our friend is flying his girlfriend down, and she will be bringing her Luts boy.

Make sure you have a safe place to sit them, and you should be fine. Nuts to your roomate(s) - they need to learn to respect everyone's property sometime if they haven't already.

16. If you're really paranoid, get a foot locker with a lock like somebody else said. I don't think you have too much to worry about, though. Destroying somebody's stuff can get you thrown out of college, so most people won't risk it.

17. Since I've had my dolls nowhere but college, it's not that big a deal to me. They just hang out on my dresser next to the still not put away Christmas tree and look pretty.

If anything, in college you should worry about your textbooks at the very beginning of the semester (people will steal them to use them or return them for the full rebate), your calcualator (calcs are the single greatest stolen thing on campus), laptops, desktops, or any other piece of of high tech equipment (iPods... Guard your iPod's CLOSELY). Most people don't know about BJDs and even if they did they're not likely to steal them. At my school at least, almost everything stolen is for the theif's own personal use. As in the case of one of my friends who had her iPod stolen and the two people I know who left their textbooks behind in class and never saw them again.

Roommates are honestly not that big of a deal. My freshman roommate and I didn't get along. We didn't fight or anything, but we just didn't click. So I kept my half of my room out of her side and her stuff stayed out of mine, and when the other was studying we didn't have friends over or do loud things. Even my best friend who actually had her second year roommate threaten her life (she was crazy) never stole or broke any of my friend's stuff.

College isn't junior high/highschool anymore. People will respect your stuff if you don't disrespect theirs.

18. July cam home yesterday and I took her to classes with me today (Neurological Psychology, Biological Antrho, aaaaaand Prehistoric Archaeology...) XD I go to a rather medium-big univeristy... But she was shy (and maybe a little too frightened!) so stayed in my purse all day. n_n I live at home though and commute to my school, so July comes home with me every day. n_n; She'll definately come to my classes tomorrow though!

19. Bringing your dolls to college can be fun. ^_^ I have good friends as neighbors on both sides of my single, and they think bjd are cute. So sometimes I take them out of my room to visit their rooms.

But I'm a junior now, so I've known my college buddies for a few years and know they won't hurt my dolls. As a freshman, I'd say test the waters before bringing a doll on campus. If you happen to get a bad roommate or something, then you can just wait until next year, when your living arrangements change.

20. My boy came while I was in college, and I've had no problems whatsoever. I even left him in my dorm over winter break, as my parents don't really know about him.
      My roommate just kinda looked at him and shrugged. Nobody really seems to mind, but then, I think my whole floor thinks I'm a little odd. ^^;