1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking dolls to school or college?

Feb 21, 2005

1. My, how things have changed! I went to college between '88 and '93. Other than building the odd sculpture in the study and storage rooms, I pretty much tried to keep my head down. Space was at a premium, and money was nearly non-existant. I considered myself lucky to have a crappy rented fridge and the privilege to use my roomie's dinky tv with zero reception. I didn't have much to protect, other than myself. Even so, I couldn't trust my roomie to keep her cotton pickin' fingers off my food and I had to get a padlock for my foot locker.

Thing is, people are people, good or bad, stupid and sneaky or kind and trustworthy. You don't know who a person is or who their friends are until they show you. I wouldn't want to risk something dear on blind faith in humanity. Better to leave such things in a safe place until you know for sure.

2. I haven't been able to decide if I'll bring my dolls with me to college (Not to bring them to classes because that's just a ridiculously silly idea to me xP but for when I sew doll clothes or feel like taking pictures).

Once I find out who my room mate is I'll have to do some investigating and getting to know them before I decide on bringing my dolls up with me. Bonus points if my room mate loves BJDs xP

3. Definitely bringing mine with to college... But I'm also going to be carrying her around with me because I would feel lonely and insecure without it... I feel lonely and insecure without my Hatsune Miku plushie.

4. I might have to take my ABJDs with me to the dorm college when I graduate that is ! ^^ The college I was thinking of going to is a good sized one . So hopefully things won't be so bad! ^^

5. LOL I love the way you think! That is exactly what I was thinking!

6. My daughter lives in a dorm, she has large closet that locks with a key. That would be a good place to let your doll sleep(or have his/her own private room) when you're not there and can't take him with.

7. Wow that sounds like a shady situation!

8. I want to bring her to college...but they would just distract me. *_* I'd be too busy making sure her wig is perfect to be paying attention.

9. That happened to me while I was studying since my boy sits either on my lap or on my table. I can't help but making sure his wig, the way his pose or his clothes to be perfect. But it helps me release my stress. ^w^
      I'm more afraid leaving him at home without me around. Afraid people who come to my house will do something bad to him. I live like 8 hours journey from my home...so yeah, I'm bound to get worried. XD

10. Now you guys have me worried about when I have a roommate in an apartment... I'll have to make it very clear that the dolls (and their things!) are definitely no-touch! Maybe I'll tell him/her to treat them like the world will end if s/he touches them... >> And smack them with a fish if they defy me ;A;

I have taken my doll to high school a couple of times. During school hours it was absolutely terrifying because when I changed classes people kept bumping into me and I'd almost drop him ;A; It was nervous-making for sure!

11. So what happens if your roomie simply doesn't care? Or gets drunk one night and bumps into your doll? Or brings a friend over who has no idea how to handle resin? You can yell and scream and post rules all you want. But the damage might already be done.

I'm not trying to make people paranoid. Just trying to show you all the (highly probable) possibilities.

12. I can lock my bedroom door I guess... I can't leave him with my parents, I highly doubt they'd even let me. :\

13. When I was in a dorming situation, I took my dolls with me. Now, my dorm type was a little unorthodox compared to most (renovated apartments vs. regular dormitory), but I still had to deal with a room mate and closed quarters.
      Luckily, my room mate the first year was dollphobic, so she never touched my things lol (I did let her know I had and was bringing dolls with me beforehand). However, I knew others who had problems with their roomies - so if you are honestly planning to bring your doll(s) with you, I wouldn't bring them at first if possible. Settle into your room, get to know your roomie and how well they respect boundaries - after that, you can bring them back with you over a vacation and the like. If you do bring them at first, it doesn't hurt to have a locking trunk or safe space (like a clothes drawer) to keep them in until you feel safe having them in the open.In my second year, I had a private room, so I was able to keep them all with me and on constant display. So, if you're rooming alone, you should be okay.

As for people trying to bring your dolls into class, just make sure to be aware that not all my professors will appreciate your hobby in their classroom. My one art history professor would not have been pleased if I had a doll on my desk. If you are bringing a doll to class, take them in a carry bag. I love my boys too, but first and foremost you are in a classroom to learn, not to be distracted by the pretty resin on your table.

14. I had my dolls at university and it wasn't an issue at all. But then, I could lock my room and kept them in their box when I left. I'm glad I did though, they were a great comfort. And my room-mates after that have always observed the "other peoples rooms are out of bounds" rule. I like my privacy and wouldn't live with someone who didn't

15. Before reading this thread, I was certain I would take Arielle with me this fall. She's an SD, but I didn't see it as a problem if I could lock her up when I wasn't around. After reading this thread, I now feel more cautious. I definitely don't want to scare my room mate. (I have no idea who she will be) The good thing is, I will either be staying in the newly built honors housing or the newly renovated international dorms. The international dorms are used by students majoring in foreign languages (like me) and some students from other countries. If I stay with a student from Japan or Korea, she may already be familiar with BJDs. I'm majoring in Japanese so it's a possibility. I do think as long as I get to know my room mate beforehand and store Ari securely, there will be minimal worries. :) Like the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (and maybe a few pounds of resin, too). ;)

16. I have to go to school this fall and I was wondering this too. If things go my way, I'll be rooming with a trusted friend. And she's doll friendly. We both are just attached to our PCs. And I'm pretty sure that she'll leave the room locked if we're sleep or not around.

But if you don't plan on leaving your room alot, you can just prop them up on your desk for display. And my dolls remind me of home, so hopefully they'll help with my home sick-ness. If you do have to leave, invest in a doll carrier and 'hide' it in an unusaul place but yet safe for your bjd.

Bottom line, it's ok to take your bjd places, be careful and don't let fear stop you from enjoying the hobby.

17. I had considered taking my dolls to my dorm with me, but I was only going to school in the city 20 minutes from my home and I went back home every weekend anyway so it would have been kind of pointless. Looking back I'm very glad I never did bring them to the dorm, as I lived with three other girls and they were all very disrespectful of others' belongings (not to mention they were very dirty and smoked in the apartment all the time without asking) and I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving my dolls there because I tried to stay out of the dorm as much as possible.

I guess it would really depend on each situation, though. I wouldn't consider bringing dolls until you know your roommates or are comfortable with them and are familiar with who comes into the dorm or who lives on your floor/wing. It's not likely that most people would even know the value of a doll like that, but.. college kids can be really unaware of others' belongings or just not care.

18. I dunno I had a great experience having my boy in my dorm room. He spent most of the time on my bed, and would go downtown with me almost every time I went just for fun xD My roommate was really respectful of him and didn't touch him at all unless I gave her permission and I was in the room.

And next year my roommate is gonna be the person who first introduced me to dolls so we're gonna have a small resin army in our room XD