1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking the plunge! (Nervous when ordering your first doll?)

Aug 11, 2010

1. I wasn't nervous when I ordered my doll... though I'm still waiting for him. I know that I had to prepare myself mentally for four years though before I took the plunge because of the cost, but that is me. It is different for everybody. My biggest worry is the shipping, because of some of the state of the boxes in the box opening thread making me go... please be okay when you get here... please.
      -Sheleeta

2. I'm really nervous about my first doll, but not about her, exactly. I'm nervous about me, if that makes any sense. Will the spot I have planned for her be safe enough? Will I have everything ready? Is there anything really important that I missed? It may be niave, but I'm sure she's going to be perfect. What I worry about is if things will be perfect for her when she gets here!

3. I'm nervous about ordering cause I'll most likely be ordering while I'm at college. I'm going to have my boy sent to my mom. I'm just nervous that something may go wrong, and my mom wont know, so I won't know until she brings him up to me.

4. I was nervous and not. It's a lot of money to spend especially on my first doll but I know that's what I wanted(I think it's ok to splurge on yourself every once and a while).:aheartbea

5. I ordered my doll from Mint On Card and it went out on June 30th. She's going to be my first doll and I'm really excited!! But I know what you mean about spending so much money all at once. I do a lot of cosplays but it's gotten to a point I'm only going to limit myself to just one cosplay to make, since spending so much money is making me cringe a lot. I recently bought a wig and a silicone wig cap on ebay for my doll. But I guess I'm not really that nervous, seeing as I plan to actually make all her clothes since I have TONS of scraps that are just sitting in a box under my table. It's also another way to save money, seeing as the clothes are really expensive. The shoes I'm also very nervous about getting, which is why I'm only thinking of getting only 1 or 2 of them. But yes, this hobby is rather expensive if one buys a large majority of everything.

6. I bought my both my dolls second-hand through eBay. The more expensive doll was shipped using next day delivery guaranteed. As it was under 24hrs I did not really get a chance to feel nervous or anything! LOL
      Since I am a postie, I have *inside knowledge* of the next day delivery system which also helped soften my pre-purchase concerns.

I must admit, I had never thought about any damage to the dolls. Thankfully both dolls are in perfect health.

7. I couldn't really find a thread like this, so here goes. Feel free to move it if one exists.

Anyone else freak out about getting your first doll? It's a big purchase, and most places don't offer returns, refunds or cancellations. Nvermind if you decide on a doll that can only be bought direct, wondering if you're understanding the not-so-perfect English instructions correctly. Is second-, third-, sixteenth-guessing normal? :?

Azha Nei

8. Definitely. I've successfully made quite a few purchases, but I worry about it every time I order. People miscommunicate with others that speak their language perfectly all the time. The chances for that happening rise when communicating with those that may not be fluent in your language.

9. Most people find it scary to order a doll, and there's nothing wrong with that obviously.
      But if you don't like your doll, you can always re-sell it.
      Just make sure everything's clear with the seller so you don't run into anything nasty down the road.

10. I really worried recently when buying from Resin Soul cause the website wouldn't accept my payment and I had to send it via email and paypal. I know they are a trustworthy company but I was still worried by not being able to go through a secure site. Emailing details just seems dodgy.

But, the good news is that my doll has now been shipped and should be here in a day or two according to ParcelForce

11. I was nervous at first... What if I don't like him? What if I'm terribly disapointed and it deters me forever! Well it was nice to have him finally... There's always that doubt, kinda like when you're meeting a friend for the first time after knowing them for years. "Will they like me?" "Will I like them?" but when you finally get it all your doubts are gone!

12. Hmmm, I might be in trouble, because honestly, this hasn't crossed my mind lol. I've been debating who to order first, but that's just because there are so many sculpts I'm in love with. It is a big purchase though, so I do understand your worry. I was more worried my hobby attention deficit would kick in and I would spend all this money and be bored with it, so I started with less expensive vinyl dolls first, and I'm still going strong so I'm ready for my resins :)

13. Yes. I'm in the process still of getting my little guy, and I'm super excited, but SUPER worried something terrible is going to happen! D":

14. Just-stop-worrying. :)

I finally realized something today: you're going to do research about companies, dolls, wait times, accessories, restringing, sueding... YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING. You may know a great deal, but you shouldn't try to pick apart the hobby and learn absolutely every single thing. I know how to suede, and probably how to restring...and some other stuff. And I ordered my doll, not knowing (nor being confident) if I would be able to do a face-up. Still don't think so.

And when it comes right down to it: enjoy your doll. You will learn all you have to once you have the one you really want in your possession. And not everything you learned will apply just yet, or ever. But don't overwhelm yourself with info.

15. Of course ordering the first one is nervewracking...but things are much, much easier now than ever before. Companies are engaging with the Western markets much more now with English-language customer services and English-language websites, whereas before you would have to rely on a proxy or shopping service to order your doll on your behalf which increases the likelihood of something going wrong if a third party has to communicate your ideas to the doll company because you can't do it directly.

There are still risks involved as with any expensive international purchase, but I think everyone has niggles the first time they order their doll :) These are normal feelings.

16. I was super-nervous. Luts's ordering system is crazy! Now, the wait is making me antsy, but I can handle it (for now).

17. hehehe, completely. My first order was actually directly from the artist who was selling me the modded head, and it went very smoothly... I think just because it was one-on-one, plus she had amazing communication and was very friendly...
      But ordering from a system was completely different. The ordering part went okay, I was pretty nervous but I was okay with it... But later I had to make an address change, and I got the new address wrong! When I replied to correct it, I got it wrong AGAIN... even when I changed my address, my order status still showed the old address... But Luts got everything successfully changed and my doll was sent to the right address :o

18. I was really nervous and excited when I ordered Otavi. Then all throughout waiting for him to arrive I was eating my heart out worrying I wouldn't love him as much I thought I would.

He arrived at love was instant. My latest bout of nervousness is because I'm restringing him tonight. ^^;

But yes, I was a bit afraid, but everything worked out perfectly! I have no regrets!

19. Yeah... We won't even go into restringing. If I thought about that, I'd never order. I think I was less scared of putting in my own sound board into an early Compaq computer I had. lol Ironically, once I sent the inital message I felt better. :) I did toy with the idea of trying vinyl as a starter doll, but the few I found tend to look like children. While I have a few porcelin dolls that are kids, I prefer young adult/adult-looking dolls and figures.

Azha Nei

20. I'm not nervous about him getting here, I have faith that he'll make it home in one piece just fine ..

I'm just nervous about my own actions, that I might somehow break him into a zillion pieces xD

I'm also kind of like "eep!" because I know my parents will find out eventually, and I don't know how they'll react @_____________@