1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking the plunge! (Nervous when ordering your first doll?)

Aug 11, 2010

1. When I ordered my first doll, I was super nervous, it was the first time buying something online and that is a lot of money to drop into a parcel! But I so excited when my doll shipped so fast, the nervousness didn't last long after that. Well, other than it arriving at customs, but that didn't turn out to be a problem. :)

2. I'm always nervous!! I know I really want the doll, and that it's totally worth it. But there's 2 things that sorta worry me.

1. I'm worried something in the order/delivery will get mixed up and I'll end up not getting my doll o.o Even thought that's not a common thing, it still worries me.

2. It's a whole lot of money to be spending at once! I've never had over $400 in my possession at one time. Granted, I'm a teenager with only babysitting to earn money. But once I finally have enough, I feel bad spending everything I've earned all at once. Especially since I don't need it *Cough*OrdoI?*cough* I find though, if I have a little bit left over after buying the doll, I'm not so worried. I'm not really sure why. I guess it's because I still have some money to show for all the crazy kids I babysat o.O

3. I still have more bills than I should :/ And I was laid off for four months (thankfuly only four months but I had to move out of state to get new work), so I think I'm still a bit shell shocked. My sensible brain says horde the cash. The troublemaker wants to get the ball rolling. I found myself with an unexpected wad, so the latter voice is winning....

Azha Nei

4. I wasn't nervous until about five days after I ordered him. Then I started to question whether he will get here okay or if my order is going as planned. I'm not as nervous now but can't wait until he gets here.

5. LOL i feel that Ive grown more nervous about purchasing a doll after I got my first one. Now I know waaay more about dolls and what i want. All I seem to be doing lately is researching till i find something, buying it, and then selling as soon as i see it in person. >< My first two were much, much easier when i was a bit more naive about bjd.

6. When I ordered my first it was payed for by my brother, (surprise birthday gift ftw! I got to use my savings then on stuff for her XD)
      I was INCREDIBLY nervous. But the seller was so kind and patient it was really comforting.
      I still had nerves really bad the entire time, and whenever I'd get anxious and sigh my brother would give me a pat on the back and say it's ok XD (he just KNEW).

When she was shipped I became terrified, especially when the tracking said she was inbound for customs, when I googled a lot of people said that meant it was seized by customs x.x
      then 6 hours later she cleared.
      My main fear was that since she shipped so fast, I figured she must have been damaged. going through so much so quick! But nope, she was perfectly ok.

To handle these feelings I'd try working on a different hobby or watch tv, find something to distract you from it until the day comes.
      then you can be a super nervous bundle XD

7. For my first time ordering a doll, yes, I was nervous and excited at the same time, so much that I forgot to order body blushing along with the doll when I finally did place the order (and I wasn't even really planning on ordering on the day that I did. Somehow that Check Out button pushed itself or something :?).

Well I was a little antsy over the next few weeks during the waiting. But I was really lucky since the doll shipped 2 weeks later, and overall it was just a 20-day wait (and this experience made it so that I started expecting this quick processing for all the dolls that came after but I quickly learned to just be patient and wait for upwards of a few months).

To cope with waiting, I work on the doll's story by expanding on the character, make and discard wishlists for other dolls, plan for and research other potential dolls, concentrate on my other hobbies, etc.

8. I was and still am super nervous. I had to put my first doll on layaway even though I'm hoping to pay it off early, but I'm not exactly rich, as most everyone I'm sure can relate to. So, when I made my first payment last week, and this week my husband had emergency surgery that we can't afford and we had to pay a few vet bills and then put the poor cat to sleep...now I'm a bit nervous. I know I can make it work, but man did I regret placing that order. At least, until I voiced my feelings to my husband and he said "You shouldn't...it was something you really wanted." Now I feel better, but I'm still nervous about everything else in general. I've never ordered something so expensive, let alone something from oversees. Hopefully it will all go smoothly and all my worrying will have been for nothing :)

9. I was SO nervous when I walked in and got my first doll. I wasn't used to dropping that much money at once (except I did buy a car once, and that was obviously worse), I wasn't sure of much of anything about the hobby, and specialty shops like Volks can be intimidating. My heart was pounding so hard! But that was part of the magic.
      It really was magical when the clerk put on her white gloves, opened the box, and tilted his little head at me. And I had that same adrenaline rush carrying the huge white Volks bag on the train home. Kyaa~ That really takes me back.

These days it doesn't make me nervous at all, which is bad in a way - you get numb to the high prices :sweat :sweat :sweat. Box openings aren't quite as exciting, either after the *coughcough* tenth time or so. Try to enjoy the nervousness, as part of it is excitement. :)

10. Ordering my first doll had to be the most nerve pinching experience of my life. Not only because I had to order my doll - but I was responsible for ordering three others as well! You see, out of all my friends I was the only one with a working paypal, so we had the bright idea to use it for our dollie needs. Thus, I ended up doing my boys crobi order, my friend's luts order, and then our combined Tata's paradise clothing order. It was scary spending 2.5K on dolls while being responsible for other peoples money. Not to mention remembering everyones orders and whatnot. Guh, never doing that again!

But overall clicking the buy button for the first time kinda put me in that "My boy is coming home" state. Right now I'm waiting for my first boy to come home (with the tag along luts box stuffed with two MSDs and an SD) so I'm completely nervous, and a bit 'check order status every single morning' stage. Though Luts being down isn't helping much.

11. I have yet to actually order my first doll, since MoC is on vacation till the 10th, but I am still so, so nervous. I only have two items I own that I had to drop more than a couple hundred on and that's my bed and my computer. Both of these things, though, for the most part, were for very practical reasons (especially since I write using my computer mostly now). A doll, though, not so practical. In fact, I know my friends just think it's silly and that I'm completely wasting my money. :( But, I've wanted one for four years and I figure now is the right time. Especially since I discovered layaway as an option. But, I can't help being uneasy.

I also can't help being nervous because there are SO MANY dolls out there that I'm wondering if I will honestly love the one I picked or see him in person and wonder why I wasted my money. That is, actually, my biggest fear of the two. I will get over the money, especially since you only live once so you might as well do with your life and money what you enjoy, but the fear of opening the box on doll day and being disappointed SCARES me. So, yes.

I am terrified. :(

12. Have any of you been nervous when ordering? Especially when you got your very first doll?

I haven't saved up enough yet, but I'm already nervous. I usually have a hard time justifying buying a candy bar or ice cream. So a 300 something dollar doll? ....yeah, nervous. >>;

Did it go away quickly? How did you cope with the feelings?

Umm not sure on the going away part yet, but the way I'm coping is by reminding my self how hard I work and how little I actually treat myself to anything. Plus holidays are coming up, so hopefully I'll get some donation money for my doll fund from my family! -cough-birthday/christmas money-cough- :3

13. I bit the bullet on Barron 10 days ago. Ironally I'd already ordered his wig and clothes. So I'm in the "hurry up and come" phase. Right now I'm less worried about liking him and more worried that the wig won't fit my grand vision. :)

14. I have to say that I have mixed emotions - First, it was a discovery hunt to find the perfect BJD fit for me. Then I found her, saved up and sold so much to afford her. I ordered by first BJD on Sept. 3 from Dollmore. I was told by the company that they would send her out in 2 weeks, then September 27th now they are saying sometime the first week in October. I have read on here that many BJD owners have waited up to 6 months for their dolls. I did not even have a clue about that and it made me nervous. Then, I found out that Dollmore ususally sends out their dolls within a couple of weeks. Now going on the second month. So a mix of anxious excitement for my very first BJD with "will I ever see" by first BJD????

15. It was mixed emotions for me :) I was nervous but excited at the same time...Nervous because I don't know how I will pay the remaining 30% of my credit card debt because of her >__<. Excited because she's my first and I love her sculpt so much that everything is worth it!

And when she arrived, oh man! I was in seven heaven! Nothing can top that XD!

16. This, sadly.

I will mostly likely be to the very end, all though it comes and goes. I'm mostly just nervous that when he gets here I won't like him, although I've done tons of research on his sculpt and company.

17. I was veery nervous!
      Firstly, I was deciding what to buy 3 months (!), then, everything what was going wrong, was making me feel bad, for example problems with founding paypal account, or with transfering my cash from bank to paypal.
      I was thinking that when I finally ordered my doll, I would feel relieved, but nothing like that - I was feeling more nervous!
      I was thinking: did my cash was transfered? did I choose right doll? What if I didin't like her, when she came? Did I do good buying a doll? Omg, OMG, OMG!
      But once she came, I started feeling calm... it's good^^

18. im not really nervous about buying one xD ( its not my first time buying something that expensive online)
      on www.mintoncardinc.com
      they ship your doll between 1-3 bussiness days (if its in stock) wich isnt bad and is very fast shipping :D
      if you live in the u.s. , of other places i wouldnt know. (their located in michigan,usa for those who want to know)
      at first i couldnt decide myself what to order and i havent ordered anything yet
      but i did make up my mind n_~ on a Loongsoul
      the thing is i want the glorydoll lucy head too u_u
      must get IT~! >:3

19. I was nervous, but it was nervous excitement. You come on to these forums and you read horror stories about shipping accidents, or people who were unable to bond, and you can't help but to get a little nervous.
      Especially for a lot of us, who didn't have a chance to take their time handling and examining a physical doll before ordering. The company websites only say so much, so sometimes it can be hard to tell.
      For me I don't think it had much to do with price, as I didn't order a super expensive doll for my first, and I've bought things just as expensive if not more so.

20. I was very nervous before I ordered my first doll. Sometimes I can't imagine I was ever that nervous about it, actually. xD
      I spent quite a while looking up companies (although I still didn't know too many at the start) and then spent ages thinking about size (I decided that MSD was a great starting point - not too big, not too small). Then, once I had narrowed it down to that, I looked through all of the Kid Delfs. Bory jumped out at me immediately and I just knew he was the one that I wanted.
      I still kept this to myself and thought about it for a while though, before telling Mum that I really wanted to buy him.
      I first ordered him in the Summer but I kept delaying my payment for him as I just could not stomach forking out that much for a doll. (Eek, how times change!)
      So I cancelled my order and told myself I was just being silly and that I didn't need a doll anyway, blah blah blah. Researched a little more, got infected by the bug again and ordered him that Winter! xP