1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tan/African American/Black BJDs - Discussion!

Dec 14, 2007

1. I'm betting it's Bronze, but be aware, the body has a lot of blushing. You can see it if you look for it.

2. He is gorgeous! I also love his hands. But I don't collect 70 cm dolls!

I ordered a tan DZ Minas that I plan to make into an African American. I love Nabarro's Booth which is my Grail doll but I don't think I'll ever own one. So after a long search for dolls with AFrican Am features I decided to go with Minas. She has some of the features I was after and I'm just hoping I can pull off a good face up with body blushing that will give her an African American look. Wish me luck!

3. Yes! Excellent choice! I have a Taregan myself. He is very handsome!

4. Oh nice to see a revival of this thread pop up. :) I'm always on the look out for dolls that can fall into this category.

I love Granado's Mars…every day is such resistance. And to be honest there is a slight chance that at the verrrrrrry last minute, he might end up in my cart. I already have 3 dolls by Granado (Chaka & Terra both in sunshine…which slip into this thread as appropriate).

This year I said the only dolls I'd buy would be tan & dark skin dolls & I failed horribly :roll:. The one good thing is that my Nkiru from Simply Divine has been painted. He just needs a body and a proper wig. I think the other hard thing for these dolls is finding the right wig.
      [​IMG]

5. Yes! Wigs are difficult.
      I love the one you have there! But then maybe it's just the incredibly handsome man underneath it. ;)

6. Btw, turns out he is a Tan, but he came out darker than usual.
      [MENTION=70147]ClearSkyStudios[/MENTION] - Here's a shot of my Taregan, Amaury.
      [​IMG]Amaury - IH Taregan by aernath, on Flickr

7. Thanks aernath! The poor wig is one I've been trying to get rid of for years but it's not even worth selling and it somehow always comes in handy…lol
      I love the Taregan sculpt and your boy is just loooooovely.

8. A friend of mine is looking for an African American doll that is light skinned enough to have freckles, but still look African American. I suggested the Iplehouse Cocori, but would appreciate any other suggestions as I am not as familiar with DoC. Thanks much!

9. Aeranth and mdonline03, love your boys! Their resin is beautiful and so are the sculpts. I was so tempted to go for Mars too but I don't want too many SD size. If he had been MSD? I'd have jumped on the chance to own a sculpt specifically designed to be an African American! He's beautiful.

10. Thanks.:) Poor boy needs a body though. He's just borrowing one at the moment. I agree about Mars. I think I looked at the Granado site and his picture almost every day. I think Crocus did such a great job in translating the features because he really does look like someone you would see walking down the street. I too am all SD'd out. LOL. Hence I held off too - plus, the thought of getting another doll with a tricky fit was making my head spin. If Crocus ever shrinks that guy (like Dollshe is doing with his fashion line)...I would be all over it.

Wynterborne - What style & size is your friend looking for? I'm guessing the person is looking for female dolls because you suggested Cocori. Depending...there are several Iple dolls that will work or possibly Dollstown for young button nose child types. Twirling is a possibility...Plus there are so many ranges to PoC/Doc...I mean there's Nikki Minaj to Rianna to Queen Latifa to Whoopie Goldberg to everything else features wise. But I'd probably lead your friend to Iplehouse and recommend she check out their doll choice section where she can select a sculpt and the darker resin shades not offered normally.:)

11. [​IMG]

Just putting this up here for others looking for authentic African sculpts. I do not know anything about the company. Classy Doll 66 boy 02type is on offer for short time ending at the end of the month. I would get him if I had the money but I am saving for another BJD that is a must have for me.

12. Here's Khai, my handsome Simply Divine Nkiru. He's on a Dollshe Pure body.

[​IMG]

13. Thanks much, yes, she wants a girl, and I think she wants an MSD, but I'm not sure. Iplehouse is always a good choice, anyways.

14. Love tne Nkirus! ^_^ I haven't taken any recent photos of mine because he had to give the body back to the original owner for a while. ;) (DollShe Pure Rosen in ebony)

Man, I wish that Classy Doll sculpt weren't a limited! I don't have the money either, but boy if I did! They're a good price, but I just don't have that much.

15. Same! I always cry a little inside when I look at Granado and they only offer SD+ dolls. I also debated over Mars just b/c he is perfect (almost, if only he were just 20cm shorter).
      ~~~
      I'm actually looking for a guy in the 47-55cm range, but I have so many criteria I doubt I'll ever find him: bronze to ebony skin, muscular, and mature-looking.

16. Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread. :)

This is Dr. Adrastos Weathers, my very first Tan doll. He's a 2006 Luts/CP Delf Tanning Shiwoo that I bought pre-loved. I've had him since March, but he's finally coming into his own! He still needs a faceup, and I'm putting the finishing touches on the dreadlock wig I made him, but I'm very happy with how he's coming along!

[​IMG]

Ryu

17. What a cutie! He looks very happy and stylin'!

18. Thanks aernath! :) Adrastos was originally based off of Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the astrophysicist but has since worked his way into my Torchwood backstory. ;)

I have to admit, I didn't want to simply hot glue suede him since he's still in pristine condition, so I did the Tacky Glue method instead:

https://denofangels.com/threads/tacky-glue-sueding-tutorial-lots-of-large-pictures.384899/

Since Adrastos is my first tan doll, I have to admit, I've been super careful with him, except for white-gluing the goatee onto his chin. Once he gets a faceup, I'll re-cut it and give it a better shape.

Ryu

#359 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, Nov 11, 2015
      Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    19. Yes! Who doesn't know Neil DeGrasse Tyson?! And love him! :dance
      But hey, Torchwooooooood! :cheer