1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tan DoT are not worth their price

Jan 19, 2006

1. yeah the seams on tanned dolls are annoying. my boy is sunlight skin and i've also sent a complaint email once i received him. volks offers sanding for sunlight dolls, and i thought they color it afterwards, but apperantly they don't and my boy arrived with noticeable discolored line on both sides of his torso and some marks on other parts of his body. guess nothing can be perfect, but i can totally understand you about it. still, a lot of hard work is put into these dolls, and like they said to make 1 good doll they need to dispose of several dolls. so have to accept nothing is perfect.
      but they could have done better job on the faceup to make up for flaws they can't help >_>;

2. Myth, I am surprised that you say so! :O
      3 of my Sunlight Volks dolls come sanded...they look perfect!
      I always thought they did some magical thing to the resin...

I am really curious about what happened to your lovely F17!...sorry, I am just too curious^^;;;

3. I'm seeing so many people here defending DoD. Calling the purchaser at fault. Saying her email was rude. No. It wasn't rude. What was rude, was how DoD brushed her off with NO apology about the utter craptastic job they did with the doll.

I've seen tanning El, and Hound. They are FANTASTIC!

She has every right to be angry, and word the email as she did. The quality is horrible. It truely is. For $680, plus all the shipping hell, I know I would have been trite. I am sooooooo glad I did not buy a tanning Shall.

She has all the room in the world to be angry, here. It's her party, and she can cry if she wants to. I would.

4. Humans are not perfect, any company is not perfect, due to the fact that humans run them. Any given doll is not perfect. And seeing the doll was hand painted, you cant expect it to look exactly like the promo pics, as well as with any doll of any brand. As noted before by another member, the parting lines CAN be seen in the promo pics, obviously the rubs cant since they are under clothing. Its easy to overlook, but just with knowing the basic idea of the tanning process, I knew they couldnt sand the dolls before they were tanned, and I knew the raw or sanded areas would absorb the tan coat differently, thus an uneven color. The company didnt have to state it in the promo pics for me, I just did my homework.
      I didnt say your friend was a beginner at BJD collecting. I have been into BJDs since Volks put out thier first super dollfie, and till this day, if I am interested in a doll, I do a crap load of research before plopping down $700.00+ for one, no matter what company it is. I know you and your friend are angry, and of course anyone would be if they are not satisfied with something that cost them alot of money. But calling this company a scandel was out of line. And when you want a good reply by a company, you shouldnt ramble on about you wont buy another doll from them again and what not, because I doubt they would want to help you after that. Even though you were mad, if you were a bit more civil, they probably would have offered more help. "You catch more bees with honey, than with vineger"
      I am not trying to "be nice" to ass kiss the company, to tell you the truth, DOD dolls are not my cup of tea.
      Again, the pros and cons are there, and I wasnt trying to overlook them. I just thought it was unfair to put a company down so much, when some of the fualt wasnt intirely on the companies back. Everyone is different, and everyone is satisfied in different ways. This thread seemed more like a rant than to keep other people informed, but hey, to each there own. Thats enough of me. And this is just my opinion, and opinions do not need to be critiqued. cyas *Jen

5. I don't think it is customer's fault. I didn't mean to sound this way, sorry.
      I e-mailed DOD asking to do the notice, it is all I can do, I'm sorry.
      And, she should e-mail asking the refund on the face-up. It is her right.

About the parting line, all we wanted was explain what happens if you sand it down, it wasn't to make her guilty or anything like that. It was just to explain what happens.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was her fault,

I'm very very sorry ^^'

6. i got the same reaction when i criticized DOT poor customer service in another thread. people are weird about DOT. but they have poor customer service and poor quality control whether some people like it or not. it isnt in any way rude to any doll owner here! who is talking about there particular doll? no one. its pretty clear that if narae tans can be sanded that DOT just has poor quality.

7. Cacau, I did understand what you were trying to do and I thank you for your attention in my and my friend's name :) And everyone else who understood my original purpose!

Then if a moderator can close the topic... It's obviosuly not worth warning potential buyers and I'm just an ignorant. Go ahead. I give up too. (and none of the dolls I've had and met had similar flaws but well, that's a rant)

8. now you bummed me XD;;
      i have dug up the reply i got from Domuya:

so i just had bad luck? *sigh* well my boy is such an evil brat he gave me much trouble before he even got here so i'm not really surprised XD;

9. It doesn't change the fact that they allowed a lady to do a face-up who wasn't a professional, and then allowed that (really rather bad) face-up to leave their factory on a limited edition doll.

Persoanlly, I think that is inexcusable for a company who has been in this business for so long, and I believe that a re-fund is in order for that face-up.

(sorry, I wrote this about 5 mins ago and suddenly there were loads of replys, which is why it seems a little out of place!!)

And, I think warning potential customers is a good thing. I have heard the criticism of this doll, and will bear it in mind if I ever buy from DoT.

10. No, it is... I'm glad you posted this. ♥

11. Actually, Chesca -is- professional. She might have been having an off day, but she's no amateur. That said, I agree that the faceup needs to be redone.

12. As far as I can tell from the reply from the company, she is a profession seamstress... and she *isn't* the person who was advertised as doing the face-up.

If they had sent out an e-mail saying that she would be doing it, that would have been better.... but just to get her to do it without saying anything isn't on.

13. Actually I didn't know there was only one professional artist for make-up. I thought they were more but seriously, I didn't expect a seamstress to do it. I love Chesca's outfits but saying they let her do the face-up "for the image" is slightly worrying to me.

Myth, that's already great that they tried to help you. I don't think a company will recognize a mistake sadly. (the same friend - she's gifted - received two dolls from Luts and they seem very careless about the unsent *third*)

14. There is no excuse for that faceup. period. I would definately ask for a refund. I could do that faceup and I'm not professional at all!

As for the seams, even though DoD didn't mention it, from reading the forums, I knew a long time ago tan dolls couldnt be sanded.I specifically asked Narin about his tan BEFORE i bought, because I wanted to sand the ears to make them pointy. I believe the question was asked at one point and DoD said not to sand the doll. It's either in Waiting Angst or the original news thread, I'm not sure.

I recieved a tan doll and was compeltely happy. The squares on the ankles, wrists and torso are from removing the doll from the mold. Those can't be avoided. Every tan doll from DoD has those. Some companies might make their mold cuts in less noticable places, I'm not sure. I don't own another tan (yet).

The customs bill no company is liable for. Customs should be taken into account when the doll is purchased. If customs overcharged you, you can show them your payment statement and take it up with their office. Like Cacau said, she is liable for 70%. She knew that when she ordered her Shall. It is illegal to mark an item as gift or decrease the actual value. If DoD is caught then they are liable for a lawsuit or if the doll is lost in transit, they cannot recover the full value of the doll.

DoD also seems to bounce emails or mail servers reject them. I have several times found DoD replies in my junk box. I have had similar problems with other Korean companies. While I too had problems with Dod (they never changed mya ddress though I had emailed them several times nor did they send both dolls together as we had asked, but they apologized and mailed my doll almost two days later).

The faceup is unexcusable. I would ask for a refund, but the other complaints, I believe, are the fault of misinformation, miscommunication or assumptions.

15. The 'for the image' thing does sound odd- that's why I've been taken aback by it. It sounds like they are trying to cover up the fact that she did a bad job.

I'm also still in shock somewhat that they would let that face-up out of the factory.

I wouldn't go so far as to say all these dolls are this bad... but this one has defiantely slipped through the net of quality control....

16. As usual, any company critique is met with a bit of agression by the 'other' side.
      Lets put it this way. The shipping costs, as many have stated, are not DODs problem. If, as you say, you (or your friend) had done the research you should know what to expect from the postal system in your area. DOD can't do a single thing about another country's customs. Secondly, I for one thought it was common knowledge with tanned dolls that their seams were more or less unsandable. There are a ton of topics on it in relations to Volks' tanned dolls. DOD did state that their tanned dolls would not be sanded even before they made the decision to stop sanding all together. There was never a promise made that tans would be sanded. I think it's possible the buyer should have done a little bit more research.
      Now, in terms of DOD, they did NOT do a very good job. Their response was polite, but you did not get an apology. Secondly, that face up really really is not up to their standards and there's no excuse for letting it escape the factory. If they're in over their heads they're not getting ANYWHERE by skimping on their customers. You're within your right to be miffed about the faceup, and I hope you get reimbursed for it or are able to alter it to your liking. As for the rubs on the sides of the doll, as other owners have posted about this, the general consensus on how to fix them seems to be a bit of blushing. As far as I understand it's difficult to remove them from the molds without causing those scuffs in the first place.

Basically, there's a bit of blame to be laid on both sides here. Buyer research should have been a bit better, and customer service rather lacked. As I've said before, DOD may be overworked, but that's no excuse to take advantage of their customers.

17. I'm not connected to DOA regularly at all, and my friend is bad at english. So indeed I didn't see any topics and wasn't informed. But I don't see why my friend should be the one in fault by not having access to DOA? DOD should state it and it's independant of DOA, I think.

Also I'm collecting info on how to cover the parting lines. (yet not necessarily on DOA)

18. If you're purchasing something this expensive I'd figure research was a definate before you hand over the money.

And DOD did state it wouldn't be sanded.

19. My apologizes Reena, but you're a bit rude, you know, you've the luck to be native english speaker, I am French but my english is relatively good, not Dora's, you're on DoA since longer than me, I'm not even sure Dora is registerd on DoA.
      The problem is that when you don't know english you have a less good access to information. But I know that Dora loves her dolls, she already as 5 dolls (and 2 heads), she is not a newbie, she knows how to care of them, she also know that it's lot of money ans that it's important to get informations, but she trusted DoD to make a good job on her Tanned Shall, she trusted them you see. According to the photos, the Dolls looked great, and remember that the Tanned Shall is a limited Doll, the kind of doll you don't really have time to think and make an inquiry about before they are OOS. As some of her friends have DoD dolls, and that they are really well done with really lovely makeup, she thought that DoD wopuld make the same job on her Tanned Shall. As I said before, there was nothing on DoD saying that the doll wouldn't been sanded and that there would be some marks on her dool. If they had warned her, she would have been less dissappointed you know, when you know that the doll you have bought "might" have some defaults you cope with those better than discovering them while opening the awaited box.

20. Just because someone is a seamstress does -not- mean they can't do faceups too.. Customhouse does it, Volks does it.. what they meant with saying "for the image" means that she was the one that designed the image of the doll: clothes and, yep, faceups.