1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tan DoT are not worth their price

Jan 19, 2006

1. chesca did do that face-up and she does have a gothy style..

2. Well, that make-up thing is very bad, the lips aren't so good...
      But the time you waited, everyone waits, Cacau waited a long time without any notice too, and here in Brazil it's hard for us to buy such an expensive doll...
      And man, read Luts' description for Tanning El and Tanning Lishe, you'll find in very big letters and in red: "do not sand Tanning El/Lishe because the color will get different"
      And parting lines are normal, if you want to sand your doll, get one that can be sanded!

And they are worth their price >.> The process is really difficult and expensive! And the effect is very good! I guess your friend will just have to redo the make-up, that's all she can do.

3. ah well u could alwayz request when buying for the makeup style :D

i like this style...

4. There is another Tan Shall I've seen pics of, her name is Chyna (I think?) and she has green eyes and a brown curly wig. I know her pics are somewhere on LJ, but I can't find them for the life of me. I think she has default makeup as well.

5. Mm. The lips are a little weird. The creases are very defined...

oh. Yes, Treelore's Shall from ebay does have a better face-up. I wonder how that happened.

6. Its very sad that your doll had so many flaws and I agree that you should get money back for such a disappointment, but I think it is unfair to say that all tanned DOTs are not worht their price. i have a tan shall and I think she's great, she's got a wonderful faceup, her resin is nice and smooth and she poses great. I think she was well worth what I paid for her.

7. Ugh, I just wanted to add that I just recieved a response from a different question I was asking DOD, and you're definitely right-- they most certainly are not very polite to their customers -_-

It was a quick response, but it still wasn't as polite as it should have been, you know, providing that supposedly "the customer is always right".

8. "The customer is always right" is a WESTERN commercialization concept - I've traveled abroad, and a consumer-driven economy is not always the case in every country.

That being said, I think this entire problem seems to be a one-time event. Others seem ecstatic with their dolls, small flaws and all. I've emailed back and forth with DOD occassionally (usually begging them to release more Shalls, I always JUST miss each batch) and have found them to be courteous. Obviously they are not ready to handle tan dolls - don't forget, the SD-sized dolls are a recent addition as well, perhaps they were just trying to hit too many markets at once and realized after the fact their mistake.

I'd say no one person (or company) is at fault here. Obviously, the buyer should have done some more research (and if the buyer is NOT a BJD newbie, then they should know where to find accurate information even without access to DoA). Obviously, whoever wrote the reply email at DOD should have taken the time to couch it more courteously. Although, having worked customer service, I must say, that when someone recieves a complaint, however valid, couched in heated terms and full of hostility, it is VERY hard to be courteous and polite in reply.

No one person or company can be said to be wrong here, and I'm upset seeing people go "Oh DOD must be horrible to deal with I'll never buy that doll I've always wanted!" I want Shall, and I still will (someday) buy her.

Oh, and I agree that the faceup should be refunded and redone. The original faceup (what everyone else seems to have gotten) is part of what made me fall in love with Shall and Tan Shall in the first place.

Kisses and giggles,
      Zen

9. I think you're overreacting a bit, no offense. The 'flaws' you found on Shall's body are normal. I guess if the seams bothered you that much you could sand them. Way to ruin a doll, though. .-. If you look at the pictures, you can see her seams. Perhaps DOD assumed that people know these things before buying? The faceup, I agree with you. I'd demand a refund, definitely, but its not like makeup is permanent. Get your money back and let someone on the boards fix her for you.

I'm not in the position to say whether I love or hate DOD's customer service. I bought my DOT from them not too long ago, but I've never dealt with them personally.

I guess all I'm saying is make the best of your doll; the only real 'problem' with her is easily corrected. And if you'd rather not, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to give her a new home.

(I hope I didn't come across as being rude. That wasn't my intention. ^^; )

10. It's like people don't even read all the posts before posting.

Tan DoTs came out before the Luts tans did. Hence, even with all the warnings on Luts, it's irrelevant. ALSO. The person may not have been interested, no less even heard of Luts.

And great. Some of you like the look. Some of you like the horridly done make up. That's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that the quality of the face up is detestable. It doesn't change the fact that this girl paid 680.00 for a slapstick job.

It's unexcusable. And what's worse, is the way people are defending DoD for their horrible job, and rude reply. They deserved a slap in the face. That make-up is awful. There is no excuse for it. Especially from what we have seen on the other tans.

And you can't simply fix the face-up, due to the same reason you can't sand the seams. For all the barking on research, apparently it gos both ways.

This girl was ripped off. She very much was. And this doll is not worth the price paid. Maybe all the DoDs are not that way. I know my Lahoo was great. But it doesn't change the fact that this dolls head is junk now. Unless a very dark color is applied carefully over it, there is no way to fix those lips. Again. For the same reason you can't sand the seams.

And not everyone is going to know about this site. So going faux Elite over it isn't going to make DoD any more right for what they did. It also doesn't make people right for defending them, over the collector.

She is the customer. And she was given rubbish for her money. That is all there is to it. She is right, they are ever so very wrong. And their responce is an utter disgrace.

Now, this may sound rude. But it really needs to be said. We need to defend us, as consumers. Not defend a company for shoddy work, only so they might feel they can start getting away with it.

11. :-? Yikes. Those lips are very weird. They're STRIPED. I agree that you should be angry about the face paint (faceup). I also agree that Dream of Doll should have written on their Web site somewhere that tan dolls could not be sanded. Not everyone should be expected to know this.

I've heard a lot of good things about DOD, so the fact that they would send out a doll that looks like that is a bit of a surprise to me. I still think they are mostly a good company, though.

The company is famous for having 10-week waits for their dolls. They really should communicate with the customer more, though, and let the customer know that there will be a 2-month (or more) wait. Some people wouldn't mind having a 10-week wait if they know that is what will happen. That way the customer won't be worried the whole time that their order was forgotten.

12. Z3Ncat, I was not e-mailing them about this problem, or any doll issue at all. All I did was simply ask them if credit cards were not being accepted anymore as I didn't completely understand the notice board. Their response was quite condesending as they basically told me that no, they did not accept credit cards and I would know that if I read the notice boards. I found that to be really rather rude of them, as I was not impolite at all to begin with and had already told them I didn't fully understand their notice board.
      I'm not saying at all that they are a terrible company, I'm just saying that in the e-mail from them that I just recieved and the correlation I've had with them prior to this one, they have been more snippy than polite, as if I was asking a stupid question... And they really have all been genuine concerns that I've had, so I think that's also why it upsets me that they really haven't been very polite. And if they are to everyone else, then I don't know what I've been doing wrong... ^_^;

13. Faceups on tanned dolls can be removed with acetone without damaging the colour, so it can be fixed as easily as other botched makeup jobs. Then again, I can only vouch for that as far as tanned Hounds go...

Also, when the DoTs came out, I thought it was made quite clear that parting lines would not be removed...

And the general impression I've been getting is that tanned dolls are more expensive, harder to get right, harder to customise, irrepairable in cases of accidents (no sanding off mistakes, no replacement parts). So my expectation was never too high with regard to any tanned doll... well, my problem.

I guess we have to accept that not all people have as much access to certain resources for information...

The faceup, however, is inexcusable.

leXis

14. O_o Wow... Interesting opinions.... Has anyone ever tried to get DOD to redo their faceup because they didn't like it? I mean --- I don't think it would be that big of a deal for DOD to do the makeup- exactly like the one in the picture... See --- this you can argue... because as long as you didn't specify what type of faceup you wanted, DOD said it would go with the default picture --- and this of course --- did not go with the default picture... nor was it done by the artist who normally does the faceups -- Jemma.... I think this is an arguable case to get the faceup redone...

As for the parting line I think everyone else has already mentioned it...

The little square scratch marks, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but my friend who used to work on hollywood props told me that liquid resin casts are made of 2 pieces, so the resin can be easily removed from the cast -- hence the parting line --- and require a hole to pour the liquid through - hence the square scratch mark where the resin normally overflows from the cast.

I thought this was a Thread on Tanned DOTs, and not about DOD as a company, so I thought I'd share that bit of information in case it hadn't already been mentioned, but this isn't an excuse for DOD's reply --- I've been waiting 12 weeks and counting for my Fullset Shall, and I'm not a very happy camper at this point....

15. I recieved my tan shall--
      Overall I am happy-- although I can say, the makeup on yours was poorly done
      (mine, I thought, was pretty, but it doesn't suit her-- although playing with it much, her painted lips are rubbing off...oopsies...)
      Of course, it wasn't right to have Chesca to do the makeup--
      they should have had Jemma (?)
      ---(did you say you had to pay for the makeup?? You shouldn't because it's already included when you bought it...) but even then-- mine isn't really that bad at all!! =_=;;
      Yours is just plain bad----(ergyah-- sorry...)

*EDIT*I had requested a different makeup from what was pictured--
      but they replied they will have it as pictured on their site--
      there was no point in arguing with that--
      (which I didn't mind really..) but it came to be much prettier than expected---
      her eyebrows were thinner, but i wasn't a big fan of the orangey lips....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Luna-Rouge/417991392_l.jpg
      Sorry for the image--- this is the closest i can get without being blurry =_=;;

I'm a bjd newbie, and even I had tons of research on the making of tan dolls.....
      The seams do not bother me at all, at first i thought--
      omg it's gonna be bad-- but it isn't at all...
      and of course, it is stated on the site that it cannot be done due to the difference of color
      (if I remember correctly, it's like chocolate-- if you scratch a chocolate bar, you'll see a difference in color....)
      I didn't have holes, but there was a tiny seperation between the head and headcap-- but honestly, I don't care-- she'll be wearing wigs anyway-- and I don't see a difference in color between them...

As for customs-- every country is different--
      I live in the US, and mine was free, and I was expecting that.
      I did my research and if I remember right, anything worth under $200 is good to go-- and their is an exception for toys(?) and of course, it was marked as a free gift.
      (And, it was post-holiday season, so they really could care less-- they probably thought it was a late christmas gift...but that theory wouldn't matter anyway---)

But anywho-- it's not like you can get a full refund if you decide to send the whole thing back-- what's done is done--
      or you send it back to get the makeup redone (tho it will cost you more $$$)---
      but at least they should give some partial refund.
      if you simply don't like it-- sell it-- I'm sure someone will buy it....

As for those who have been waiting: I wouldn't like it one bit to be waiting that long. I waited 10wks for mine, but it really isn't cool to restock them when you don't have the previous orders shipped--- they are biting off more than they can chew.....

16. They should have mentioned the thing about the headcap. Most of this isn't their fault. but the faceup IS and the fact that they didn't mention the other markings is also their fault. It's bad planning. also the advertised style of faceup was NOT what they gave you. It's true that it's mentioned it would be different than the pictures, but that's not an excuse to pawn the job off on an amature. Because someone can sew isn't enough reason to believe they can paint. That's like saying that someone is a great author and so must be good at caligraphy because they write all the time right? No. It doesn't work that way. All crafts are not interchangable. ><

Also I've seen pictures on here that people have posted and to be honest with you? The marks that have been mentioned are inexcusable. It's been said they were from the mold? If they were then the mold was badly designed. Notice how this problem doesn't show up on any other companies dolls? The seam lines make sense, it's just a biproduct of the resin, but the other marks are just a no.

I'm very forgiving on a lot of fields, craftsmenship however I am not lenient with at ALL. If you're going to make something and sell it for a lot of money it damn well better have as much care put into it as possible.

17. I agree. (Though I'm not that sure on the "un-fixable" face-up... I don't own any tanned doll). She is the costumer and she paid for something that was advertised, expecting it to be of quality. And it was not. Either you like the face-up or not, it's not the 'default' look that the advertised pictures showed. She paid for a 'limited' face-up, and got that thing on the first post. It doesn't matter if Chesca did it, or if Jemma did it, or if God did it... the point is it's NOT what was advertised. Not even near to it. She is in her right to ask for a refund. And she should.

I also agree that we can't say that all of DOD's dolls are poor quality, because as owners have posted, they were pretty much satisfied with what they got. I don't own any DODs, but I've seen a DOD personally and I can say that he's a pretty lovely boy. But if a company lets a doll like this to go out of the factory, just because they were overworked... that makes me wonder if the next time it could be ME who gets the 'mistake' doll. I certainly wouldn't want that to happen, and I, personally, wouldn't risk it.

I think we all have agreed that tanned dolls can't be sanded, except for the Narin ones, and that all of them have noticeable marks and seams. But we cannot assume that everyone knows this. "She should have made a bit more of investigation before spending such amount of money", maybe she should have, but it's responsibility of the company to tell the costumer what is being sold and what specifical flaws it has. It's like eBay. If you have a pony with a stain, you say so on your auction. It's just honesty. We cannot assume that all played-with ponies have stains, nor can we assume that all people know about the flaws of a tanned doll.

But this is just my opinion, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to :oops: And I really hope everything gets sorted out and that that doll can have a new face-up and be loved by her owner :)

18. It deals with a limited black Shall, not a Fullset black Shall. That's why face-up isn't included and must be paid as an option if you want it.

Also I and my friend have both DOD dolls, we also had met a lot of them, and we never had to complain about their quality. Her Pitts is beautiful (though the make-up wasn't fixed and she had to redo her lips herself) and the Twingkey I have just sold is a beauty too. We just don't understand how quality can be lowered that much. Saying it's a tanned doll with blahblahblah normal flaws - which I can understand - isn't an excuse. When you are a company, you HAVE to inform the customer even if it means taking him as an ignorant idiot. Also when you are a company releasing tanned dolls at this price, you HAVE to do your best. Seriously, if making a tanned doll is so hard, you have to put even more care into it.

*fire* *was just a practice, pheeeew*

I will see with my friend if she's ready to ask for a face-up refund. As for homemade modifications, I think it can be done. Someone has successfully modified a Luts face-up on a tanned El. Of course it's not the same company and technics and resin may not be the same, but it means it's not all wasted. I so hope she can get better lips. The other flaws, she can accept them. But the lips... No. Seriously, no. The artist she commissioned will be very careful, I have no doubt about that.

19. A refund for the faceup is definitely in order because you paid for the faceup that's supposed to look like the one featured on the site, but it's not and it's detestable.

Regarding customer service, they've always been nice to me. But I think people will also have to reflect upon themselves as to the questions they ask. It's highly annoying if you get hundreds of emails that ask "when is my doll coming???" everyday, so I don't blame them at all if they don't reply those emails but reply quickly to other more practical emails.

20. You had to pay for a faceup on the black dolls?? I didn't. It was included int he cost o.o

Or you just had to pay for something different than default??