1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tanned Skin Dolls, or issues with them...

Apr 18, 2007

1. Silk:
      Twist off? Is it not attached to an S hook or anything like that then?

Arafel:
      Makes a feel a little at ease. How long have you had her?

Usagi665:
      This is very hard for me to visualize but I think I understand what you mean.

2. Referring to Usagi665's comment, I can't say it about other CP dolls, but my Weros came with a rather textured feel to his head. I was personally thrilled, as I don't like them too smooth. I had to resist from grabbing my friend's Volks Myu and spraying her down with MSC to give her some texture. XD

The only tanned doll I've seen in person is a Tanned Lishe, and her seams were very minor. It seems to be luck of the draw from CP, however. My Juri came with this crazy head seam. :sweat

~Anrui

3. Yes CP dolls do have an S-hook, but all their new dolls are provided with the one-touch-system. The S-hook is not attached to the headcap and the cap itself has no magnets to hold it in place, but you have to twist it on.

I would like to show you a picture, but I can't find any.

4. hmmm my tanned el sunbathes everyday in pink filtered sunlight and well some have comnmented he turned darker.... to me he looks the same :D :D

well he hasn;lt turn green and no i wun try to sand him :D :D

5. Sorry, I should have been more specific on that. I had meant to ask if it was attached to the headcap but somehow that got muddled in the question asking. Ah well, this answers it anyway. ^^

6. I have 3 tan CPs, Cocori & a tan Narae & haven't noticed any changes with exposer to sunlight. They're in my living room which is fairly bright but I do keep them out of the direct rays.

As for the seams, yes, they are noticable but it really doesn't bother me. I haven't tried to sand them as you're advised not to but then I almost never sand dolls anyway. The dust is so bad for you & I can't wear a mask as it steams up my glasses.

All in all, I'm quite happy with my tan dolls & hope to add several more to my gang.

7. I have a tanning cp doll via luts.
      I've had her 6 months and she's fine, no discoloring, but I never take her out in the sun, she's only been outside once. I heard that the neck joint was weak on a few batchs and the necks cracked but my girl is solid.
      As for the seams, I'm really not bothered, it's not like a lay her naked on her side all the time.
      Luts strongly advise people not to sand the dolls.
      I'd say get one, why not?

8. Really at this point I'm just trying to decide if the "no outside" thing is going to be an issue or not. I don't plan on being outside with them a whole lot but I would like to do photostories and similar out there. Your girl is really cute btw. ^^

Edit: My boyfriend thinks she's really cute also. he isn't at all interested in dolls but he was like "wow, she's so cute... I really like her a lot." so that really says a lot.

9. I have a SOOM Tan Godo - he arrived with some seams sanded already, and the rest of them intact. the sanded seams are noticeably lighter, and the unsanded seams are noticeably..seams. LOL. But neither one bothers me anymore, I don't even notice them now. It's a doll, and dolls have seams. It's fine with me. (I was more miffed that he was advertised as "even-tone and seam free" :nowords: I would have bought him knowing he had seams, but the deception bothered me)

I have seam photos in my doll's arrival gallery here:

http://www.vamppire.com/rahu/cominghome/index.html

I haven't seen any color change in the 5 months I've had him, but I have not taken him out in the sun yet.

All in all I'd say that I'm super satisfied with my doll and I'd definitely buy another tan doll, or at least, one from SOOM. I'm finding myself LOVING his skin coloring, making other normal and pale skin dolls look bland or ordinary in comparison. :XD:

10. Well Luts seams aren't usually awful as a rule to begin with. As one of the people unlucky enough to have gotten one of their early batches of tan dolls, I found it very obvious something what wrong with the resin. That first doll didn't have giant seams, but he just felt too light.

The second doll which is the tan Shiwoo I've had since then has equally as miniscule seams and his resin does have a little more tooth to it than say BW or normal from luts. I did the "sun test" on this boy shortly after I got him, it only took one hour in direct sunlight in about 75 degree weather to lighten his headcap up a few shades. His color didn't change, no green tint or anything, it just got lighter. I think the sun vulnerability is very much a luck of the draw sort of thing on some of the tan dolls. Some don't seem to change, others get lighter, change colors, etc.

11. Hello! I'm a bit new to this hobby, but I have spent hours upon hours researching and learning everything I can about BJD's. This wonderful community has been so helpful and caring, and I've learned so much that I'm ecstatic. And there is still so much to research!

But, there are still few questions that I have. As a Christmas present, I've received a lovely Suntan Migidoll Ryu, and I should be receiving his body, a Domuya Flexi-Perennial (Light Tan), very soon. I'm absolutely excited about this - I really cannot remember when I have been this happy and excited.

However... after reading a few things on here about tanned dolls, I have some questions.

~ I've read (and seen) that no doll should ever be left out in direct sunlight, and I have seen the green color that seemed to happen to specifically tanned dolls. Alright, this is understandable and I know I will be extra careful to never do this! But, my question is - are tanned dolls more sensitive to this?

~ It also seems that sanding some tanned skin dolls is also not recommended, as the color resin underneath may not be the same. Does this apply to my Ryu also? It seems the dolls that this applies to are very much darker than my Ryu, but I'd like to make sure..

~ Is it true that there are some products I should not use on my Ryu, specifially because of his resin color? Some that would be okay for the NS or WS, but not mine?

And any other tan-skin care tips would be wonderful! :abow:

Sorry if these are simple questions, but I've already fallen in love with my dear Ryu, especially since he shall be an exisiting character of mine I've had for very long. He's also my first BJD, and a Christmas present from my wonderful boyfriend, and I do not want him harmed or ruined in any way.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

12. Awww, you're sweet to your doll. You're lucky to have such boyfriend. ^^
      Anyway, I'm no expert at this but I can give you my thoughts at least.

~ I'm not sure if tan dolls are more sensitive to sunlight, but I think they are not, because only few people who own them have expressed problems about it in the boards compared to other standard dolls.

~ Yes, some dolls are. Like DODs for example. I don't like DOD's tan dolls because of their quality, which makes them unrecomended for heavy customization. It's such a shame because all their dolls are beautiful. Volks' dolls are definitely made for customization. Highly recomended. Anyway, I'm going off topic, I'm not sure if you're Migidoll is safe for sanding so I'll leave that to the experts. But hey, at least I gave you some info.

~...Again, I'll leave this up to the experts. :)

I know I'm not a help but I hope I have given some information at least that would be helpful for you in the future. ^^

13. When it comes to major sensitivity to sunlight, it depends on the resin formula of the doll. However, dark skin tones are hard to get and they can be less stable which is where the turning green comes from--but this isn't an across the board thing. Though I've never had any sunlight issues with my tan doll, I do treat him with a little extra care in that department--the same with my BW doll. Even if he doesn't turn green, I don't want him fading or changing over time. Sunlight just isn't very good for bjds of all kinds.

I'm not sure about the Ryu specifically, but it's a common issue with tan dolls. It's hard to get the skin tone even throughout the resin (I don't think it's a quality issue as suggested above. Tan dolls are just really difficult to make and there are some built in limitations), so when you sand you can end up with lighter patches even though the color is technically all the way through the resin. I personally would be afraid to sand--maybe someone who owns the same doll as you can give you some more specific advise.

14. ~ Here's another "I'm not sure" about if they are more sensitive or not, but as Taco said the sensitivity is all about the resin formula. I have heard that yellowing/greening is still most obvious looking on tan and white skin dolls. But the answer I'm giving to this also has to do with the question about sanding as well....

~ Many companies who do not recommend sanding to thier tan dolls are the companies that quite litterally the tan is painted on. As in the resin is made, and if I've understood right in several convorsations I've had about this, they spray it on before the resin has completely cured so that it's almost more like an even coat of dye, becuase then it's sealed in whatever company sealant they use (which is industry grade and way better than anything any of us will ever be able to buy off the shelf) and then once the sealants have cured and everything is cured, it's pretty set in there and pretty much sanding or a doll getting chipped or gouged is all that's gonna take it off
      And then you have on the other hand that some companies actually tint their resin the color of the tan so that the resin itself is all that color and those ones there aren't nearly as many problems with sanding with the exception that sometimes the outermost layer of tan may be darker due to sealants used. The only companies I know for fact that actually make their resin the color are dollzone and boboie. It might be something that could be asking to the makers of migidoll if their tan is on the surface of the resin or if it is the true color of the resin.

~ I can't say there are any products that have been specifically said not to use on a ryu, but I do remember an experience a friend had with using MSC on their tan doll. It like clouded basically. You could see the sealant all up on the surface of the resin and it looked just sort of nasty. After seeing that my only sealant recommendation for a tanned doll is Model Master's Lusterless flat becuase it's basically a clear liquid acrylic unlike msc and zoukei mura which are powder acrylic particals. the MM may take a few extra coats to give the tooth it needs to pic up more vibrant pastel coloring, but it's cheap enough that if you've got the patience it's nothing.

15. Ashers - I have 3 tan dolls but not from the same company as yours. But I thought I'd share what the doll shop said about caring for my girls. She strongly suggested that I be sure to coat them with MSC with UV cut. Also it is not only direct sunlight that yellows bjds but also heat. So even if you keep them out of direct sunlight they can yellow if they are exposed to heat (eg. in a box left in a car).

Congratulations on your new dolls.:)

Yia

16. Thanks so much for all the replies so far! :) I've contacted both Domuya and Migi to see if I can find out how their dolls were created - whether it was painted on or the resin was mixed with a tan tint. I never thought about that, so thank you very much with the information.

I'll post what they tell me, but I would still love to hear any more tips you have for me; I plan to take care of my little Ryu so well, but I want to make sure I am doing everything to ensure his safety and prospriety. ;3

Thank you!

17. I believe that there are more than just DZ and Bobobie that do color the resin all the way through, but even if it is all through the resin, it isn't necessarily even all the way through. If you're wanting to sand, I would ask the company specifically if it was ok to do.

18. i'm sure there are more than just those two, those two are just the only two i know for fact.

after asking my husband a little more after he got home the other day he suggested if you are thinking about doing any sanding to the head to sand a little bit of the inside of the head cap to see if the color is consistant since inside the head cap never shows.... now as for the body, i'd think it's a little hard to get somewhere that doesn't show, but that's just the only other info I can give.

Also mPy said something about msc-uv cut. that's what my friend used that kinda made the resin look all cloudy. truthfully msc-uv or even zoukei mura uv really as so little of a spf agent in it to make that much of a difference, and it would take about 2 cans of either to coat an sd sized doll. So keeping out of sun and heat really will do you just as well rather than dropping 20 sumthin to for spray on your doll that might leaving it looking or feeling potentially dissatisfying to you. Also all dolls already have a sealant on them out of factory so that addition of extra sealant is just a tad bit of over kill in my honest opinion. Of course for faceups, you've gotta have it. But if you're at all afraid of what sealants might look like (since i've had the friend with the crappy sealant experience) test them on the headcap first just for a better idea.

19. Hmm, I haven't got a response yet about how the tan was created. It's quite worrisome - I don't want to invest in something and then destroy it. I'd be heart-broken.. But it hasn't been that long, so hopefully I'll get an answer in the next week or so.

It's quite nerve-racking to hear that one thing works for certain tan dolls, while others have had bad results. I guess the tan skin is really something that hasn't been fully understood yet - possibly because of the different methods to get the color? I've looked around, and haven't yet seen anyone speaking of problems with the Migidoll tan or the Domuya tan. Still, I want to be sure.

Mostly, I need to know what products to use, and not use. I thought I had it figured out, but after seeing that my doll's skin may be different, I need to be absolutely sure.

20. Well, just in case anyone has any new information for me.. ^^;;

Domuya e-mailed me and assured me that their tan dolls are actually tan resin, so that's very good news! I do believe Migi's are too, as I've seen a few modded tan Migi dolls around.

Realizing this, I do believe everything should go well, as long as my doll is well cared for - as he will be. :) But, any extra advice will be loved! <3 I plan on keeping my new doll for a very long time, and I want to make sure he is all well. Thank you!

Edit: Also, Domuya let me know that their resin in Anti-UV. Just thought I'd share.