1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tanned Skin Dolls, or issues with them...

Apr 18, 2007

1. Oh I found something else to add... make for sure when you sand seams to use a fine grit finishing paper for your finishing.
      We were talking with a friend this weekend who deals in bobobie dolls so she's got dark tans and colors and stuff, and there aways seems to be this white stuff around where it seems that their seams have been sanded and we think the problem is that they use too coarse a sand paper and when they seal the dolls the sealant cakes in the scratches leaving a white color on the darker colors..... so with your tan resin just make for sure to get things really smooth and even if you intend to seal it afterward.

2. Thank you all for your helpful responses. :)

After thinking for a very long time, my boyfriend and I both decided that a NS Ryu would be a much closer choice for my lovely character I'm modeling him after. :3 The tan Ryu is so lovely, but after examining him and thinking, we've decided that he'll be more loved somewhere else, as he doesn't match my character completely, skin-color wise. I'm still glad for the chance to see him with my own eyes before making my decision, though. 8D

Luckily, my boyfriend was happy to be the first one to help me delve into this hobby, and fully supports helping me changing the skin color. ^^ However, I'm so happy I inquired about Tan dolls, because seeing this Ryu has made me desperately want one in the future. They're beautiful. :D

Thank you again for all your help! ^^

3. I have another question on tan doll care. Since a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser lightly sands, could this cause a change in color for tanned dolls? The specific resin I'm asking about is Dollzone's, and since I have seen that they are tan all the way through, I'm thinking that it might not be such a problem. I've used magic erasers before to get rid of staining, but I figured that I'd ask just in case using a Magic Eraser for an extended amount of time would damage tan resin.

4. I don't have a DZ tan, but my Latidoll tan boy is colored all the way through his resin as well. I've used a damp Magic Eraser to lightly touch up dirt smudges on him with no problems, but I'm not sure what vigorous scrubbing would do.

I think the "color changes" on a tan doll that is colored through (instead of airbrushed) are more a result of the texture change from sanding rather than color removal. If that makes sense. :sweat

5. While the early Volks sunlight dolls and the early (now discontinued, Customhouse and CP dolls) were tanned by spraying the colour onto the mold before the resin was poured, most companies today add the colour into the resin before mixing and pouring it. It does vary from one brand to another though!! The problem with sanding tan resin is as some have already pointed out, that it is very hard to bring back the right texture and colour once you have started sanding. The dust that comes off fills up the tiny scratches and gives them a white appearance. Using fine-grit wet/dry sandpaper (800 to 1200) and using it wet, will help polish the surface. You can use a coarser sandpaper first, such as 240 grit, and then work your way up. DO TEST the procedure in an inconspicuous area first!!! Final polish can be done with 0000 steel wool and babyoil, but the parts must be washed in dishwashing detergent or grease/wax remover afterwards to remove the oily residue which in some cases does a very good job of hiding scratches untill you clean it off.

6. Hi there! :)

I was just wondering what problems come with tan dolls. Thinks like marbling or staining and other things like that. :o

Thanks!

7. I never had any problems like that with any of the tanned dolls I have owned. I have heard of some tanned dolls going green. (Something to do with pigments)

Wow....my original post in this. To this day I have never bonded with a single tanned doll I have owned. NS/WS only kind of person nowadays :D