1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

TENSIYA DOLLSHE BERMANN Mr. Fogg, L'etranger & Manu discussion thread.

Oct 2, 2006

1. oooh congratulations, SDLink! :D Don't worry about feeling bad-no one should ever feel guilty for owning a doll, no matter what the doll is and how limited he is! And that goes for anyone who wins a Bermann, if people are mean to you, they're just jealous and you shouldn't let them distract you from your Bermann happiness :D

Luckily, everyone seems to be really nice here ^_^ If anything, SDLink, your luck has made me more positive that it's really possible to win a Bermann! :D

2. Wow, do I feel out of the loop! I didn't even know that there had been ANY Bermanns sold recently until yesterday! @_@ Kinda weird, since I'm registered with Tensiya and usually get their notices with no problem...unless one was never sent out? I'm not upset about it, though, just worried that I might not be getting messages from Tensiya, when I normally do. I wouldn't have had the money to try for one of these boys, anyway. Maybe next time. ^_~

How many does that make it, now, of DO and SA? How many releases are left?

I'm really happy for everyone who won one of these lads - they're GORGEOUS!! You all have to share lots of pictures with us!

3. One of each, my friend, eleven DO and eleven SA.:sneaky

4. I'm a little confused about Bermann's. I know they are limited and once they're sold out, you can't buy them again, but how often will they be avalible? And will they're be a point where no more Bermann's are avalible and gone forever?

5. 0.0 Oh, wow. I thought there were more...

I guess I better try on the next run, huh?

6. Supposedly by spring 2007 the Bermann line will end and that's it. There are 2 different lines of Bermann left, 11 SA Bermanns and 11 DO Bermanns. So there are 22 Bermanns left to get and once they're gone, there won't be any more.

7. Only 22 left?! ***oh sadness, letting go of Bermann dream***
      Why does such a beautiful sculpt have to be so limited? "Limited" means nothing to me in my doll collecting. I just want to be surrounded by beauty and have a vehicle and muse for my creativity. I love the ethos behind Bermann, too, that he is the repository of a dog's soul. My Rangerrriffic (well, actually, Ranger, the Rhodesian Ridgeback) is my alter ego. Beauty, spiritual and physical, shouldn't have limits placed up on it. I certainly know what Ranger would think about limits placed on anything, lol.

8. I agree with that..I really, really hope they will release unlimited Bermanns..I mean, what Anu does with them is gorgeous and she makes them true art, but honestly, all I want is a naked, blank tan Bermann so I can have my way with him and make him what suits me and my doll family..I'd feel kind of guilty changing/wiping off what Anu so lovingly made..I mean, wouldn't it be cool if these were like, 'Anu's collectors Bermann' like, special Bermanns, and after this would come an unlimited one, that doesn't have anything? I'm sure the people who have the 'special Bermanns' would still cherish theirs, and then everyone else would be able to get one of these beautiful dolls, too :D

Lol, pretty impossible, I know..but one can daydream! :D *gets lost in more naive daydreams*

9. Raouken, if you want to see that happen, you should at last come sign our petition to Kim Kiyong on Houndcalling. We are going to lobby him to see if there is anyway possible that when his contrat with Anu is up that he could bring out some sort of Bermann II, that was possibly changed slightly so as not to conflict with his contract with Anu.

It may not work, but we gotta try!

If you are not a member of Houndcalling, join us and sign it.

10. I'm in complete agreement with you on this. I have a Haute Hound and I wouldn't dream of changing Anu's faceup. But I can buy another Hound and do my own too. I think it would be wonderful if people had the same option for Bermann. To sell a limited doll and then have people mod it a lot kind of undermines the idea of the artist's releasing a limited number, to me. I know some people like the idea of something being "limited" but when people love a doll as much as they love Bermann, and not just because he's "limited", it seems like people should have a chance to get one of their very own. I am sure that Anu's would still be treasured and perhaps all the more so :)

11. Gayle, would you post a link to Houndcalling? Or is it in one of the DoA threads? This is the first I've heard of Houndcalling. I would happily sign the petition. What Anu does with Bermann is beautiful and will always be special, but I love his sculpt most of all. And I could certainly live without all the angst and jumping through hoops to acquire a Bermann.

Never mind, Gayle, I found it--I think I'm getting the hang of DoA, lol! Thanks for pointing it out. Here it is for anyone else interested:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/houndcalling/

12. Not to be the party pooper here, but I seriously think he wouldn't continue with Bermann. Since he's interested in doing this for 'art', he might of become bored with the sculpt and want to try different things, to progress from his first piece. I know when I look back on my first proper drawing/writing I cringe. Maybe he does the same and wants to move on. I think we are very lucky to be getting a chance in the first place!!

13. Bermann has ALWAYS been limited, we are just lucky that Anu wanted to do this project with Kim Ki Yong.

It would be great if Bermann was a bit more "easier" to get, but keep in mind the people who paid $3000+ for one..I do not think they will be happy, they might even sue Anu or Kim Ki Yong to get the extra money they paid for him back. And I've never seen a company make a limited unlimited even when they got a signed petition from owners.

So to be honest I am against making Bermann unlimited.

Sabriell

14. I think... leave the legend be, and move on. The artist can sculpt even prettier molds on the future, almost all of them have been unlimited... I wonder what would have happened if saint and Bernard would have been limited?? I guess it would be the same or even worse that s with Bermann. I think part of the appeal is on the mythic, elusive part of it. And I don't think either that is fair for the people that put their efforts, their dreams and their long time savings on him. I agree with sabriell.. I would so much prefer that the wornderful sculptor would began another project, with equally beautiful molds!

15. I certainly respect people's reasons for wanting Bermann limited or not limited, but there is absolutely no legal or logical basis for anyone suing an artist or company because of what they paid on the secondary market for an art object. Market values fluctuate all the time.

Regardless of whether "Eurasia has always been at war with East Asia," one can dream that a basic Bermann might be released. And, there certainly is a precedent in the bjd companies for releasing an unlimited basic version of a doll after first releasing a limited full set. I concede that the level of artistry to which Anu has taken Bermann is in its own echelon.

I don't know that a petition would change an artist's philosophy about their creation, but it is a harmless thing, and, certainly, a demonstration of love for the artist's creation. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

16. I would perfectly happy with a new sculpt with some Bermann attributes but still be a new and unique sculpt that would match the character I am searching for. If Mr. Dollshe would make a sculpt to look a lot like Yuki Eiri (Gravitation), I would be one happy otaku onna.

Right now, the Bermann has the best overall features for the character I have been trying to build since March 2006 (when I started my resin lust), but if I could get a sculpt with the Husky eyeshape, Bermann mouth, a better chin than that weak one on a Bernard but not a pointy, sweater-killer one like the older sculpts, the more realistic Bernard nose (no ski jumps, please), the eyes spaced a little more apart, a longish and full face - well, I would not want a Bermann at all. If the Bernard's eyes had been farther apart, the mouth a little smaller, the upper face a little wider and the chin had not been so weak and receding, he would have worked very well for what I was looking for.

Gayle, I am a new member of Houndcalling and added my name to the database. Not many people there...

17. I guess I've always thought of Hound as being as close to an unlimited Bermann as Dollshe was planning to make.

I also do not wish for Bermann to be created again. Limited is limited.

So let's say Dollshe says, "Okay, we'll make 77 more Bermanns so you'll be happy." Will that satisfy anyone? Or will the new doll collectors of the future see him for the first time during his last release and cry "No fair! I missed him!! Well, I'll start a petition!!!" With as many members as DoA has, couldn't we start enough petitions that we could be begging every company to rerelease just about every doll that's gone out of production? :o

If that's the case, I'm going to start petitions for unlimited releases of Chowon, Han, Cecil, the original Rain, Kill_U first ed, WooSoo, Woo Yan, Andante Espressivo, Soph and all the other dolls I've ever wanted that sold out before I could appriciate them or come up with the money or buy them. Just wait for the petition I'll start when Limwha Half-Elf is at the end of her run! *_*

In my opinion, petitioning artists to create more of something they have moved on from is...inconsiderate.

Rant over.:)

18. Here's a link to Houndcalling
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/houndcalling/

In truth, the petition will probably go nowhere, and to an extent, I agree with Idrisfynn that Hound may actually be our "unlimited Bermann type doll", but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask. Worst that will happen, is we get told no.

As for me, I wish there were NO limited edition dolls by any manufacturer. But that's just me. I don't like the pricing for limiteds, and I don't like the elitist mentality it tends to foster.

But, I surely don't expect everyone to agree with me on that, and I respect differences of opinion.

Again I will say it's quite unlikely that Bermann will ever be unlimited, but if you don't ask there is zero chance.

19. I actually like seeing limiteds. Mainly because you are usually treated with an exquisite out-of-the-norm piece of art that is such a standout to behold. Because of the limited number the work involved is much more concentrated on and embellished. And I enjoy seeing pieces of art that are usually only 1, or limited in number because of just what that means --> rare. The importance of that is what strikes me and makes me look in 'awe' even more. True, there are people that may be upset that that can't aquire one, but to have limiteds perpetuates the interest in this hobby through another approach. There is an opportunity if choice (or luck) presents itself to try for one if you want, outside of the normal approach of buying an unlimited doll. The unlimiteds will always be there and they are wonderful, but to have another type of doll to choose from makes things more exciting in this field.

I've always kicked myself for not knowing about at the time - and shooting for - a Hypermaniac Ksy. The fact she is limited in number only makes me ooo and ahh even more whenever I see her. There is a very immediate reaction and feeling that goes through ones mind when they see a limited that I would not want to see this hobby be without. It adds to the fascination of these dolls.

20. Interesting discussion, seeing people's feelings about limited vs unlimited. I'll add to my thoughts, because I'm probably at the opposite pole from Christy--whose thoughts, I respect, don't get me wrong, I just have a totally different approach.
      The numbers of a doll don't register with me at all. My emotional reaction to the doll is the only thing that registers. My absolute favorite doll (DOLL, not just bjd category) of all time is Lishe. It's an understatement to say she's not limited. But something magical happens inside me every time I see a beautiful Lishe face. She entrances me. I have multiples of her interpreted by different artists, and I treasure them.
      As the to difficulty in acquiring a doll adding to my appreciation--again, doesn't happen for me. Life brings events that make demands on our emotional energy. I'm not looking to dolls to add to those demands. In fact, I'm looking for an escape. I sometimes wonder if I acquired a doll upon which I had expended a lot of emotional and financial capital, would the doll then ever meet the expectations I had placed on it?

Anyway, this my way, certainly not meant to be everyone's way, just another way. (And away I go. . . :-)