1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That moment when you first open the box

Nov 17, 2008

1. haha yup. My friends think im crazy. But I have a few people I met at the last bjd meet in sac and I wanted to open my second one at a meet up we were going to have but it got cancelled. >.<

2. These dolls never fail to take my breath away. From the smallest to the biggest, it's almost always a magical moment when I first open that box. I have had a couple of disappointments along the way & wanted to cry but 95% of the time it's amazing.

3. I've pretty much felt the same about my first doll head, who came just a week or so ago.

Certainly, I had seen plenty of owner pictures all over DoA, which are enough of a testament of the doll's beauty. But seeing the doll in person, albeit blank, and knowing that he's yours is just an incredible feeling. Not to mention that doll sculpts have so much more dimension and detail when you have all day to scrutinize it from every angle.

My brain practically hurt from the prettiness. XD

4. Definitely! I remember seeing their faces the moment I lifted the box, or unwrapped the bubble wrap, and just being too shocked to move! They are without a doubt all so much more amazing and beautiful in person! :aheartbea

5. It was instant, confused, shocked love.

6. I love that breathless feeling...

Just staring at their perfect faces....I could have done that for hours. Observing how detailed and beautiful they were.....

I still do that. :sweat

7. They really, really do look utterly amazing in person. There is just sort of an ethereal look to all Asian BJD's, in my opinion, that cannot come through in pictures.

8. This is such an exciting idea! I have not gotten my dolls yet, but I think it is going to be difficult for me not to rush in order to see them. Hopefully I will be patient enough to take some photographs for this board. I really want to be able to set everything up and take some photos when they first arrive!

9. i'm waiting for my first doll...i'm having it delivered to work, which may mean i may have to have it sitting there for a while until i open it. but my two co-workers are excited for me, or at least understanding. my two bosses will be more like--wtf is that?!

10. At work? You will have to let me know how that goes! My coworkers would not have any clue what a BJD was. I brought my tiny Nari Pon to work with me one day and someone asked if it was a voodoo doll. :?

11. When my first doll arrived, I cried. Literally. :X
      I don't know, I was just so glad that I could own something so beautiful. ;D

12. When I saw for the first time my doll, I couldn't imagine a doll that beautiful. I wasn't expecting her to be MORE than pretty! As you said, pictures don't make them justice. My girl is waayyy better than the internet pictures.
      I fell in love with her the second I saw her face :aheartbea

13. Everytime when a doll arrives, I also have that "WOW, she is stunning!" feeling and everytime when I see the face for the first time I think "Hm, they look different from the pictures!", but in a positive way. ;)
      Everytime I am amazed of how beautiful they are.

14. Unlike most of you here...I've only had a couple dolls where I opened the box and nearly cried with delight...Bree, my Custom House Choa (about 3 years ago!) and Celeste, my Peakwoods Goldie (only 2 weeks ago.) I remember wanting Choa for so long, she was unavailable on the CH site and when she finally was for sale I didn't have enough money-- I had to sell a doll and some other things to get her, but she was my dream doll (and still is! :) ) When I opened her box I think I literally did gasp when I saw her big blue eyes peeking at me from behind her plastic faceup protector-- her face was everything I had hoped for, she was so beautiful.

I fell in love with my other dolls in a more gradual manner...I had an idea in my head what I wanted them to look like, and when I received the un-faceupped doll it was hard for me to get very excited at first. (Both Choa and Goldie arrived with faceups, eyes, and wig and everything). But don't get me wrong-- once they have their faces right, and their eyes, wig, and clothing, THEN I fall in love with them! But I think the initial box opening is a little bit of a letdown because they were unfinished (or had a default faceup that I didn't like and planned to re-do anyway).

And by the way-- Half.Jak, I adored watching your box-opening...you look SOO happy! Congrats on your new lovelies!!

15. :D Ahh I remember a mere month ago when I opened the box for the first time! My hands were shaking so bad and when I saw her face I was like *deep breath* "OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFUL! TAT" ha ha. It was a great moment cause I was afraid I'd open it and be not very excited but that wasn't the case!

16. Sylphide Thanks so much! Its silly I know. But Its funny to look back at you know? :aheartbea thanks!

17. Oh, yes! I try to postpone the moment I really have to open the box, because I love the 'moment of truth'. When I opened my SwD Lucas's box I sat there for about 30 minutes, staring at him and wondering how I could have been so lucky to be able to get this utterly beautiful doll. Even now I can't help but smiling when I think about that moment.

I love box-openings.

18. Hmm, I guess I'm the minority. I didn't get the *gasp* feeling when I opened my first doll. It was a MNF Lishe actually ;) I thought her nose was too pointy and the face-up Luts gave her wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. Lips were dark pink instead of red and eyebrows shaped differently. I learned to like her, but not enough, I suppose.

After that all my dolls (except one that I bought from Marketplace) came blank and I paint them exactly how I want them. But alas, still not much *gasp*, because first you clean the doll, then wait for good weather to paint, then gotta find right eyes/wig, sew some clothes. And then in the end it's more the feeling of satisfaction after hard work, really :lol: But I do sigh happily quite often when I look at them :)

19. I get a fluttery 'WHEE' feeling whenever I open a dolly box.

But (and I feel like such a sap) Gixustraut has been the only one so far that has made me teary. When I opened the box and saw that perfect face I just couldn't keep them back; it was like my drawings had popped right off the paper and into my hands :kitty2

20. I finally just had a doll delivered to me at work. I was paranoid about it spending the night at the post office, while I sat with a stupid "undeliverable" slip.
      But I'm sure it depends on your coworkers. Mine are totally used to me, and it's their fault I bring a doll to work every day now. :|
      One of the guys jokingly told me I couldn't take lunch on any day I didn't bring one in. :lol: