1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That moment when you first open the box

Nov 17, 2008

1. I've had several BJDs before, but each time, the box opening makes my heart thump and my hands shake a little.

2. I swear, every time a box is delivered to us it comes on a Friday, and since they come to my office and I get off at noon on Fridays there's always a call from the office or a mad dash to check and see if they've arrived before the office shuts down. Then I text everyone a picture like BOX ARRIVAL OMG!!!

By the time I get home with the box, we're all hyper anyway...so we're madly excited to get them out, and then a sort of serenity passes over us. Everything calms down. Unless said doll has no clothes...then it's a mad rush of sewing!

3. When I first was passed the box-o-Idris by my Mom, I didnt know who or what was inside... just that it was a BJD. I was shaking with excitement... but when I finally took off the bubblewrap around his face, I just got this moment of meditative stillness, like "Ah, there you are." It was as though some kind of tension I'd been feeling for years just went away. *L* Very strange but lovely too.

4. The jaws theme played in my head as I opened the cardboard box.
      'dun-un.... dun-un.... dun-un dun-un dun-undun-undundun-un BAM' And there was the shiny soom box. XD

5. I think that makes perfect sense. All three of mine have arrived with faceups and eyes in place. I definitely think that having all of that done already was a big contributing factor to their loveliness. I'm not sure I could get as excited about a un-faceupped doll either.

6. I'll let you know in a couple weeks *hehehe*

7. I love opening up the boxes- it's so exciting! >w< I get tense for a moment when I check if nothing is broken, but as soon as I look at their faces, cue the warm and fuzzy joy.:aheartbea

8. wen i have had dolls without their face up i never like them when i open the box, its always a sad feeling of disappointment. I expected them 2 look like they do in the pictures :doh( stupid i know) lol but the ones that i ordered with the face up on i love :aheartbea

9. I'd never seen one before in real life, so I was just amazed when I opened my boy's box. I agree that the company photos do not do them justice. I was scared at first that I wouldn't like him, or that he'd be damaged or something, so I was pretty nervous as well as excited, but when I opened the box... it was love. Whenever I walk past him I have to stop and stare - it was quite distracting when I was trying to do my chemistry homework!

10. I live in an apartment so either the box is right outside my door or the super let's himself in and it is waiting on my table. I pretty much have a routine when I come in (kitties make sure they are fed as soon as possible) so the waiting makes it a little more exciting. The opening of the boxes, the taking out the fluffy pillow, then unwrapping that little bubble mummy. I might never go "eeek!" or anything, more rather a calm, delighted feeling as I hold him/her. Love it. Love them.

11. ah, I'm truly hoping that I will be exited like a little child, its been many years since that happend. These dolls just, are diffrent then anything. (I'v also never been SO impatient in waiting too for example )

12. hmm, maybe it's because I see the dolls more or less like a blank canvas--something for me to complete all on my own that the sight of a blank doll excited me xD

I was so happy with my girl, and I love doing faceups :D
      So if I get really good, I just might do it for some money :3

13. Wow. I'm glad everyone gets so much enjoyment/thrill out of their dolls.
      I must say, "never". I mean I'm happy the doll arrived, but I never squeed or jumped or any such thing. I am a very reserved person, so that's probably why.
      My first doll wouldn't stand and I never felt "OMG, She' beautiful". I thought she was pretty and all, but still a doll. In fact she annoyed me... poor design. (Note: I "love" her now since she has a Raven face-up. Some factory face-ups do absolutely nothing for a sculpt.) Now my Hid made me feel a bit kid like, more like "oh cool" he stands and does this and this. Puki was the best and I just posed him for quite a bit.
      I'm getting some real posers... FL and CP Mnf in a couple of months. I'm already jonesing so I may get really happy and excited when they arrive. I like the idea of a doll that can POSE.

14. I sometimes get that feeling of "instant love" upon opening a box. It is a wonderful feeling to open the box and see a perfect little beauty there! :D Ah, the joys of FCS and custom makeup . . . XD

But, I don't get that feeling all the time. Usually there is something that needs to be done to the doll to make him/her "acceptable". Maybe the low quality, wrong color acrylics just need to be swapped for some nicer eyes in a more flattering color. Or maybe the doll needs a faceup. Whatever the reason, it isn't really as joyous of an experience to open a box to find a doll that needs work done on it or needs stuff to make it look like you want it too but that you don't have. So long as I love the doll's mold itself though, any box opening is an exciting and happy event. :)

15. That moment was probably the best shrill of joy I will ever have in less then 30 seconds.

I remember taking off the pillow and then seeing his perfect face. He didn`t have a face-up mind you, and he looked like an alien, but I acted as if he was the most gorgeouse thing ever. My brother was hovering over my the whole time because he was really curious about them XD Infact, he loves watching me dress my dolls and re-string them. (He`s older then me XD). Back on trackk...I remember I also couldn`t stop touching his face! I was stunned about how tall he stood, how detailed he was, and oddly, the thing i loved the most about his sculpt, and still do, is his nose XD I was in pure joyland about his nose (that sounds so weird.)

Anyway, that moment was very, very amazing. I dont think anything else could create the same heart-peircing joy.

GH:chocoberry

16. I particularly got this feeling when I opened the box containing my Pepper by Kaye Wiggs in Australia. I'd really wanted her for a while, had seen other peoples photos and then managed to get one from Kaye, with Kay doing the face up for me. Kaye sent photos and the doll was cute enough, but nothing prepared me for the feeling I got when I actually saw her in real life. She is just amazing, so real looking and gorgeous. She is one of my favourite girls and Kaye did the loveliest face up on her.

So yes, I've definitely felt that feeling, and loved it!!!!

17. I remember slight confusion and shock since her head was on backwards exorcist style! for a second I thought she was broken and then realised I just had to turn her face forward (I was so excited, i was momentarily stupid). And then, just... wow. Even without a faceup she was gorgeous!

18. For two years with me it was ranging from OMG! to WTH! It was all so new but to discover each mold and company was I found a journey, a very expensive journey. Now after over 60 BJD havbe come and gone some breaking land records I have found my ideal doll company and have not been disappointed except with a face not working and bonding. But each body has been a wonder in artistic form. I have been happy and feel now it's just a matter of finding the number I can handle and then hopes I can stop there.

19. OMG yes. When I first opened Max, I had never seen a BJD before. I was used to the poor quality pullips that have to be treated like eggshells and the stiff Blythes. Everything about him was just so incredible to me.

20. I'm another that hasn't had a moment of instant love on opening. I'll get the wow-love feeling when I stick the head back on after the first face up... provided I have reasonably good eyes/wig for them. So far three of the dolls I have came with eyes, and for all three as I opened the box my first reaction was "Those are so not the right eyes."

With my latest full doll my main feeling for the first couple days was a sort of desperation as I kept checking the weather to see when I could dye him, everything about him just felt wrong while he was pale. But as I reassembled him after dying, that was when I really felt, "Yes, you are now home." Even though his eyes are still quite wrong...