1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. any doll that's larger than about 50cm is too much for me. I don't mind seeing pictures of them, but owning one would make me uncomfortable. they're just too close to the size of a child.
      I'm also kind of picky about hands. the sculpting has to be nice and be consistent with the sculpting in the body for me to like the doll.

2. I gotta say, a doll that has a thin face is just a complete nope for me. I like the dolls with a little flesh on their cheeks, not so much the hollow-cheeked, starved or heavily sculpted look. It's a personal preference for me but I plan to have only dolls that look healthy in the sense that they aren't too skinny.

3. Ugly joints. Especially the "we give up" Peanut style ones that a lot of companies seem to be switching to. Easier to make? yes. Wider range of motion? Well yes, if you don't mind looking like there's two knees in a leg or worse, two elbows in an arm. Aesthetically pleasing? Not at all to me.

4. This is a fun thread to read through, I like seeing everyone's preferences. For me, turn-offs are:

• Purposefully "ugly" artist dolls with tiny tiny eyes and big noses or lips. It feels like they're overcompensating for the typical stylized dolls and trying way too hard to contradict the norm with BJDs.
      • On the opposite end of the spectrum, minifees with wide eyes and overall wide, squat faces, RFA being the worst offender.
      • Mature bodies without detailed hands
      • Extremely high upper lips (exception: souldoll Gwen)
      • The pervasive super-exaggerated pear shape, just because I want to see some girls with thick arms and broad shoulders!!
      • Sculpts with a lot of space between the lips-- I'm looking at you, Little Monica! It looks okay, but only when painted a certain way.
      • Thick, blunt resin edges at the joints.
      • Hourglass figures without the necessary hip and ribcage definition to make such a dramatic shape convincing. Raccoon dolls just look like 2D drawings because of this, whereas dollfie dreams actually pull of their shape quite nicely in my opinion.

5. I also am not a fan of the gigantic anime balloon breasts, especially on such thin bodies.

6. I don't like dolls that look too childish or babyish but now that I think about it, as someone with a phobia of small children I guess it isn't too surprising.

My other pet peeve is hands that are posed in ways that just don't seem natural. When their fingers are splayed in such uncomfortable positions it makes me feel bad for them.

7. Enormous cheeks and huge lips that together make the doll look like they have either the mumps or have had a few teeth extracted and are still feeling the effects of novocaine.

8. I'm new, but atm the dolls I immediately skip over are...

- Bored or pouty looking face sculpts
      - White skin.They look dead...
      - Bodies that aren't detailed. Sure, they'll be clothed, but they just look unfinished.
      - Long, jointed necks. Hello, creep factor!
      - Delicate faces with thicker or undetailed hands and feet
      - Aaaand the giant breast thing. Some of them look nice dressed up, but even real people with large breasts need the proper bra for them to hold that shape. Otherwise they're silicone.

9. Frowny faces. I turn to my dolls to cheer me up, so having one with a frowny face would just make my unhappy mood worse!

10. Buck teeth... You know the two little bunny teeth sticking out? I just really dislike that for some reason. I'm also really not fond of the stylised, wide set, tiny eyes. :huh?:

11. So far, I'm not really a fan of dolls with very droopy eyes, or dolls that perpetually look like sad/pouty babies. I prefer more mature dolls at this point, I suppose. As has been said previously by others, I'm also not a fan of crazy balloon breasts. Also, teeth/open mouth-type sculpts bug me a bit. They just look... off. There was one doll recommended to me for shelling a character who was cute, but a combination of her eyes plus the teeth made her look kind of "dopey" to me.

12. Pouty faces. They don't have to look happy, but the kid sculpts with the pouty faces...just no. Adults too for that matter. Also the whole teeth thing. For example Lucywen, I adore her body, her eyes are gorgeous, but then the teeth just kill it for me. If I do ever actually get one I am going to switch out and put a different head on her. Sad faces also don't do it for me, but Id rather have sad than pouty. Fat faces too. I guess I just prefer the mature dolls? Most things I don't like you usually see on immature dolls.

I will also add on super long necks. I just don't get it. its way to creepy.

13. Surrealist sculpts just aren't my cuppa tea. I can acknowledge the artistry, but they'd give me nightmares.

I'd also like to second what someone else said about sites without bare head/profile shots. (Show me the ears, you cowards...)

14. Rosslyn I totally agree. I'm especially picky about knees. My dolls are all displayed sitting, and those square knees look terrible. The only dolls I have whose knees look ok when sitting, are my Minifees.

My other turn off is a doll with a mature looking body and the face of a young child. Especially if they have big boobs. That's just plain wrong on so many levels.

15. I have actually a personal tastes thing against Big Headed Dolls. Pukifees, a lot of the art dolls, and so on... I adore their whole look but if the head noticeably and susbstantially wider and bigger than the ribcage or their whole torso... I just... can't own one. I have one realpuki and the fact that she can't stand unaided drives me crazy.

16. I don't like dolls with big, low-hanging cheeks that almost make one horizontal line with the chin, sort of like this one:

[​IMG]

17. price! I have the money easy. It just seems to greedy when Soom or others ask for too much money for so little offered. I have turned away from items I really want solely on exorbitant price.

Secondly, I don't like too large scale. Like Idealian size is just to big and bulky. I have not bought certain releases, or sold them, due to this. I think that the largest is supergem size, and megagem size is borderline. I think I prefer them a little smaller than supergem.

#697 LuvPetdolls, Nov 22, 2017
      Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    18. Super large, anime-style boobs (looking at you, DD Dynamite!). It’s just creepy to me.

19. Anime nose. I'm very picky about the noses anyway and that certain kind of very anime-like, thin triangle shaped nose is kinda ugh. I'm also not fan of balloon boobs or huge cartoon-ish eyes

20. - Open mouthed sculpts (still on a case-by-case basis but generally steer clear of them)
      - newborn-chubby-like cheeks and lips on otherwise older kid sculpts
      - bobbleheaded base dolls (Hybriding being a different matter, but when a companys own dolls look booble headed... eek)
      - bodies with no definition or no width/thickness variance; where arms and legs look like tubes put together and the torso are a few squares with maybe spheres for breasts
      - Company photos that don't show more than 1-2 angles (so, does your doll look bad from the side or something?), worse if no blank sculpt is shown at all