1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. not a fan of joint with pieces that stick out sharply just no. looks sorta like someone removed a piece of the knee. and faces where one eye is visibly different then the other.

2. The inability to sit properly. I don't have a lot of space to begin with, and I'd like my dolls to be able to sit safely on my shelves without falling over and hurting themselves.

3. Totally agree with @ParlourGoddess, @Rosslyn, @AngelicRabbit, and others about awful joints, especially knees. I really dislike when the kneecap itself is part of the peanut joint, which a lot of companies seem to be doing these days. I feel like the peanut piece works best when it's as small and unobtrusive as physically possible, and the kneecap is either sculpted as part of the shin or part of the thigh and kind of hides the peanut. When attention is drawn to the peanut, and it is supposed to be the kneecap, the result is a super boxy bend with two right angles and looks totally unnatural.

Lazy sculpting is particularly rampant YOSD-sized bodies. Rectangle bodies and tube arms and tube legs just chopped in half at the middle for joints. The effect isn't "little kid chubbiness", it's "lego man". Even children have definition in their limbs.

(I have a particularly hideous combination of the two above complaints on my one little guy where leg seam goes directly through the middle of the sculpted kneecap, so it doesn't even look good with the legs straight, and looks particularly hideous when the double joint is fully bent.)

On the other side of the spectrum, there are the "sexy baby" YOSD-sized bodies. DollZone and MYou come to mind. DZ I think is excused because their bodies and heads are both so stylized. But the MYou heads are 100% babyfaces doing coy sexy booty poses in their product shots. Very weird.

YOSD-sized heads have their own quirks. I particularly dislike lightbulb-shaped heads, which always looks weird to me without the perfect wig (Soom is the worst for this, which is why it's so annoying that their faces are so cute! haha).

A lot of (especially cheaper) YOSD-sized heads are shockingly flat-faced when viewed from the side. Even kinda moonfaced folks have chins, noses, and foreheads on profile.

Of course... hands. Just cause the hand is tiny doesn't mean you can sculpt a tiny fork and call it a day. Cmon.

Finally -- and I've seen this on larger dolls too -- ankles! I don't like when feet are stuck perpendicular to the shin. I like to be able to point the toes downwards, especially if the doll is sitting or lying down.

Guess I had more complaints than I thoguht! Glad to get this off my chest :XD:

4. Usually its size for me however how the doll is jointed is also a huge thing :/

5. Knock knees- the turned inward collapsed knee thing that anime artists always give girls. It's very bad for your legs and leads to all kinds of pain joint problems and postural weakness and conditions in humans.
      But since it's "moe" and "cute" and "feminine" it's almost impossible to find a doll without them. I want my more athletic ladies to look like they have strong technically formed joints typical of their body type, not collapsed luxated joints meant to make them look Moe and done by someone without anatomy knowledge! Agh.
      An otherwise athletic looking doll with knock-knees and a severe lordosis of the lower spine, however "cute", is not what I want for any of my dolls until I am trying to actually shell someone with those serious joint problems.

6. - Heads that're too big for the body they come with (such as the case with my LM Little Sophia)
      - Lifeless hands, you know the "shovel-hand" look
      and
      - Noses that don't compliment their face shape

7. Dolls with super detailed genitals! I don't get it. Why do they need bits?? they're just dolls.

8. This one might be an unpopular opinion, or may have already even been mentioned, but I wish I could find a more "masculine" looking doll. A friend of mine and I were talking and I was showing him dolls, and he mentioned how all of the boy dolls look super feminine, and to an extent, I'd say he's right.

Some people do great with their male dolls, though! And I suppose it does matter how you style them, etc. But I wish I could find a realistic male doll that LOOKS like a real male! (:

9. I don't know why you'd want the barbie doll look. They have super detailed hands, feet, faces, collar bones, muscle structure, etc. Why would you want a blank censored patch in the middle of that? Kinda ruins the realism a bit.

Each to their own I suppose.

#709 Leiothrix, Dec 28, 2017
      Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    10. I have a few:
      -Dolls with open mouths. Save for a few exceptions (Impldoll Akasha, Ringdoll Dracula, some others), I don't really like them D:
      -Dolls with closed or half-closed eyes. Unless it's a "bonus" head, I like my dolls to have opened eyes, thank you ò__ò
      -Anthro bjds and/or dolls with animal ears. Just not my thing, sorry ;___; some of them are really adorable, but I don't think I'd get them anyway.
      -Big/round/child-like heads on mature bodies. Just... NOPE.
      -Super thin male bodies that also happen to be extremely buff for some reason and/or "geometric" looking six packs. They're hardly realistic and I don't really like them.
      -Disproportionately huge eyes on an otherwise realistic sculpt.
      -Big breasts. Save for a few exceptions, most of them look just like balloons .__.

11. A turn off for me doll wise it.... too chunky of a doll body. I like the bodies thin, small, skinny. Abnormally skinny, like most of Doll Chateau's style.... the less anatomically weight wise correct it is the more I like it. Also, I can agree with ya fam about the big boobs Lolz Especially when the big ass boobs arnt even anatomically correct. I find big breasts on BJDs to be.... ew. I prefer my tiny tits, ones that are small and petite. XP The skinny bodies with small breasts always bring off a precious innocence in the feel of the doll. Welp. Don't I just sound creepy. XD But that's my turn off, too chunky dolls and boobs that look fake.

Your so right Lolz I actually tend to like it when the dolls have very detailed bits. Male dolls often have detailed dicks and the females are somtimes left out. The human anatomy is a beautiful thing, and since BJDs are considered art dolls, the more attention to detail is always better. With all that detail a fake little underwear or a lack of existing genitalia would just look wrong Lolz Barbie dolls are for kids! Get dat fake plastic on underwear outta here Lolz

#711 Kaygabrielart, Dec 28, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
    12. Smiling dolls. IOS Bel Canto for example, or their other sculpts Grazia and Jaguar. Some people love a bit more expression in their dolls’ faces, but I find them unsettling (Jaguar) or ‘dumb’ (Bel Canto). A subtle smile is cute, like upturned corners, but anything more and I’m put off right away.

Another one? Girls who look like they’re smuggling a couple of melons in their bras. Like, really? Is that necessary? Also, boys with cucumbers in their pants. A neat package will suffice, thank you! Then again, I don’t like the little mosquito bite lumps either. If you’re going to give them mature physiques, don’t skimp downstairs. But, also, don’t overcompensate...

13. Sometimes get turned off by company pictures with gorgeous full sets, especially if they involve a lot of elaborate painting. I want to know what the nude doll looks like so I can imagine what I could make out of it - but even if blank pictures are provided, often the full set photographs often get in the way of my imagination.

I have a few dolls with great company face-ups, and I'm afraid to handle them because I'm afraid of damaging something that I could never restore myself. And for me that defeats the purpose, since I actually like messing around with my dolls. If I just wanted to look at them, I'd print out the company photograph and frame it...

In most hobbies I've preferred to look at patterns and sample photographs and think "I could do that, but I could make it look better, or more to my taste" rather than "I don't think I could ever make anything that gorgeous".

14. Big boobs on dolls, and poor posing are my turn offs followed by sculpt's that lack hand detail.

When I started collecting these things didn't bother me but these are all big no no's now.

15. I read through this entire thread and I agree with some of the dislikes.

For me it's pointy noses, tiny mouths, long think arms with huge hands.

I'm not as picky as I used to be. Sometimes it's the face-up that I don't like so I try to look past that. There are several bjds that I love their cute faces but can't stand the arms and hands so I won't buy them.

I'm also not into animal bjds, I think some of them are cute but just not my thing.

Everyone has their own tastes in bjds which is why there are so many different ones out there now.

#715 Calphedoll, Dec 31, 2017
      Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    16. I have to say, I really can't stand the trend towards these weird, spindly dolls - Doll Chateau etc. It's great that all kinds of aesthetics are out there, but I'm a bit upset that Doll Zone seems to be going more & more towards the weird, making it hard to find stuff there anymore that fits my group's aesthetic :(

17. personal opinion here, I think these are fine for other people and for their dolls but for me, its not something I like:

- female sculpts with overly large boobs. Ive seen a lot of people on this thread mentioning the same thing. It can be hard to get clothes to fit. Sometimes the boobs look too 'artificially' round or bubbly, especially if the sculpt has a teeny waist.

- male dolls with youthful faces but then the bodies to match look like Hercules. feels very mismatched to me

18. I'm obsessed with anatomy, and I have very particular pet peeves about how bodies can look in artwork. One of my biggest peeves is how artists recreate the abs on male characters; I haven't found a doll body with a set of abs that I was incredibly impressed with, even the doll body that I bought! Though, I will say that I did buy it partially because it was the most visually pleasing of the doll bodies that I had seen up until that point (Migidoll's Guy Body II). I like a certain stylization to the anatomy, nothing hyper-realistic, but that's getting beyond the subject of this topic, haha.

This is also why I'm having a really hard time finding a girl to buy. I want one, but none of the ones I've seen really hit that sweet note for me. :c As others have said, the melon boobs don't help. I actually like bigger busts, but when I look at the sculpts of the bodies themselves, they're always sculpted squished together, or in this torpedo shape, and it's like... Such a shape exists, but I've never seen it in such an exaggerated manner. o,o;

Also, it drives me crazy how I can never find the same element of "handsome" that I like in the dolls I've already bought. There's a lot of sculpts that I think are super cute/adorable, and that's great, but I like my boys because they have an element of handsomeness to their features-- on my Luts boy, with his softer features, it lends a little ambiguity that I love, and with my Migidoll boy, who's more masculine, it just makes him REALLY handsome. I'd love to have more dolls with that same feeling, including any girls I may find. Cuteness seems to be the order of the day, though... I'll just have to look harder. :evilplot:

19. You might definitely want to look into Iplehouse (where the male dolls are fairly barrel chested) and Granado.

My Dollie turnoffs, hrm... definitely when the head is too large, but ugh, why are so many dolls made that way??? Also, I never like joints that are really obnoxiously obvious. Like double-jointed arms and legs are usually pretty bad for this, but there are still some companies that can still make those joints seem more natural. Really weird faces are a turnoff and bodies with really weird proportions. Dolls with a fixed expression, too, as I'd like to try to be able to get "different" expressions out of a neutral one by making use of the right angles and such. Can't do that with a doll that's wearing a permanent grin...!

20. The fact that it seems hard to find mature looking guys that don't look like they spend all their time at the gym. I can appreciate a nicely built man but some of the characters I want to shell are a bit softer and it seems like all the guys I find that are either look too feminine or like young children's faces slapped onto a body builder unless I don't want detailed sculpting.