1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. The only real turnoff for me is unhappy looking dolls. There is enough real drama in life without celebrating fake sadness.

I'm also not into bland faces. I like seeing soul when I look at dolls.

• joints that serve no purpose cause they can't hold it regardless of sueding or wiring
      • same face syndrome

2. 1. Flat soles of feet. It's not like they stand any better in my experience, most of my dolls that can actually stand for more than half a second are actually the ones with nicely sculpted soles. No, I don't have a foot fetish, lol, I just appreciate details.
      2. Endowed dolls, girls with huge breasts and males with particularly large genitals. For me, this is more about the issues I have with dressing them.
      3. Orange 'tans'. I love my orange DZ Benjamin unconditionally, but I wouldn't opt for that colour again from a company that I know of who turns out the 'bottle tans', as I call them.

3. -Big breasts that jut straight out from the body. Any overly big breasts, but I dislike those the most.
      -Extreme anime. Huge eyes and pointy chins that give them an alien look.
      -Pointy chins on dolls that aren’t extreme anime, especially with tiny, thin lips. I don’t like thin lips in general. I didn’t think I like full lips, but find I am drawn to some, although I don’t like it when they are over emphasized.
      -Faces that are too ‘perfect.' I think this is one reason I don’t like most boy dolls. I don’t have a desire to have a boy doll, but I really don’t even like many of them, because they are way too buff and pretty to be interesting. Same for girl dolls that are too realistic and pretty.
      -Ugly feet. It is hard to find BJDs with pretty feet, so I am fine with less-than-beautiful feet, but my Unoa Lusis looks like she has the beginnings of bunions and other major foot problems. Right out of the box that was the first thing I noticed, and was like, “Oh…” Actually, I don’t really like the Unoa body at all. Her torso joint is so floppy it might as well not even be there. Seems to be lacking a hinge to allow it to stay in place, and I don’t know if there is much I could do about that. Maybe sueding? I do love her face, but having a few dolls now has made me realize that a face is not enough for me to love a doll for any length of time.( Sorry this became a mini-critique of Unoa.)
      -Cankles, although I think I read that they are necessary for stability for larger dolls? I can live with them to a certain extent, but it makes me want to put leg warmers on them, and I am not a fan of a flashdance sort of look. Not what I am striving for around here.
      -Tongues sticking out, too many teeth showing, winking eyes, most dreaming faces, and other features that no one would hold for any length of time. Dreaming faces always look stoned to me, and I don’t really want a zoned out doll any more than I wanted my kids to sit around looking like that. And I don’t think anyone over the age of maybe 10 should stick their tongue out anyway, and certainly not sit around like that all the time. Same goes for dolls with the look of bliss. No one is that happy all the time. Neutral expressions are better and more versatile.
      -Dolls that won’t sit well. I like them to be able to stand for a minute, but I am okay with them not standing well for a long period of time. That is not how they are going to spend the majority of their time. They will be sitting a lot, and I would like for them to look nice when I pass by. I especially don’t want them to be slumped over like poor Lusis.

4. I feel you on the orange tan. I've been trying to find nice colours for some of my POC dolls and they are all super jersey shore orange!

5. Well, though I do not collect female dolls myself I can appreciate them. One thing that really puts me off from buying them is when their breast are kinda,.. really oddly sculpted I guess? More round and they look like lumps on the chest. I do know that most are meant to look like they are being pushed up or together by a bra, but it is something that tends to make me look away.

6. what i don't like... normal pretty face. i learned that i like faces that have a little quirkiness to them. & chunky body... i don't mind shapes, thin, plump, long legs, short legs, big small boobs, pear shapes, as long as the are nicely sculpted. not like chunky pieces put together...

7. I hate heads that look squished, with big eyes and small mouths and short chins, or have disproportionate features that are bigger than their face allows for... coughs at DDH-01 and Minifees, which are dolls that I like modded but not unmodded.
      Overly wide mouths creep me out a bit too.

8. I dont like eyes that are too wide apart and small, i hate very tiny lips too! I like nice lips esp rosenlied tuesday girls.

9. - useless joints (my DollLeaves MSD boy has ‘mobility thighs’ of which I don’t know their purpose)
      - boobs that are shaped like spheres cut in half and glued to the chest (I prefer natural shaped boobs no matter which size)
      - huge penises (honestly, how should I store the package...?)
      - very bad promo photos (that’s just sad, actually)
      - difficult hybridizing reputation (I hybridized a lot, and knowing it’s difficult or the options are just a few, I know I won’t buy the doll)
      - single-jointed arms (I have a few dolls with single-jointed arms and I more and more notice that it’s so sad...)

10. Like so many others have said, BREASTS! The comical sort. The ones that are big for the sake of being big and don't even come close to hanging like a normal breast should. I'm perfectly fine with large breasts on a doll, as long as they're not straight up orbs. It looks ridiculous. Also, chubby baby faces. I'm a bit on the fence about childlike faces, but I tend to like them. Except the ones with big puffy cheeks. I like small dolls a lot, but so many of them are too babyish for my taste. Painted on 2D fangs also bug the hell out of me.

11. "Skinny" MSDs like Minifees, don't really know what people see in them, I prefer my dolls to have a substantial, weighty feel to them as I'm trying to perfectly emulate the Victorian Porcelain Companion dolls of old, Skinny-type dolls just remind me too much of fashion-dolls, so pass!

I also don't like small eyes on dolls or "grown-up" looking girl dolls, just takes the whole cuteness factor out of it.

Vinyl and too anime or "plastic" looking is a pretty big turnoff too. Give me a resin doll that looks and fits perfectly with the Victorian Porcelain dolls of old, pls and thx!

Oh and also long/big pointy noses! Don't want a Pinocchio in my collection thankyouverymuch! Weirdly proportioned dolls (small heads on large bodies, or only the bottom half of the doll is large) won't do either.

#772 EurAsianGirl, Jun 17, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    12. Big turn off when body proportions aren't making any justice. Also body aesthetics. I've been having a hard time picking a body to reshell my son but alas, all sculpts that are 65cm range is so muscular, and I just could not.

13. That's funny, I've actually been hunting for the perfect, orb shaped breast body for one of my floating heads. It has a highly limited face up that reminds me of fancy dress balls back in the day when corsets made breasts look ridiculous, and I'm looking for something that will give that look. Not normally my cup of tea, but for the clothes she will be wearing, it will be quite appropriate.

I cannot stand emaciated bodies. That is an automatic turn off for me. Also it is very rare that an opened mouth sculpt does not creep me out. There's something about the way most companies just have the two top front teeth sticking out between the lips that unsettles me.

14. The body that immediately come to mind is FairyLand's FairyLine 60. Whenever I see them they make me recall renaissance paintings of women strung up in corsets, which makes sense now that I look at the company photos. That's what they're wearing, haha.

15. I think the scary dolls are interesting to look at in pictures, but as silly as it sounds, I don't think I'd want to sleep with one in my room!

I prefer the more realistic looking dolls to the anime faces.

One thing that I keep seeing on faceup videos is when they put those little dark dots in the outside corners of the doll's mouth. I don't like that. I'm sure it is for emphasis or contouring, but I don't like the way it looks.

16. At first my turn-off where big boobs, too. But then I ordered Minifee Ria with those baloons and now these melons are part of her story and give room for some laughs, when I think about how they could be in her way, if she needs to fight xD :P! But to get back to the topic: my turn-off now are sometimes hands, sometimes joints and most of the time it's the face. I think the face of the doll is the most important thing on one and when the face has something I can't deal with, I won't buy it.

17. Mouths are extremely important to me--a lot of my grail dolls are smiley, and there's still a few that I'm considering that aren't, but I can't stand the look of puckered up lips! And some opened mouthed looks are fine, but there's quite a number of them out there that immediately turns me away...and then there are just the really odd ones in general. I can change the general expression of a doll with eyebrows, but I'm not skilled enough to mod a mouth, and that's a big player in what expression your doll will have!

"Delicate" looking bodies bother me too, or "straight" bodies, if that's the way to describe them? The ones that just look like a stick. They just look so...stiff...
      And elf ears. I prefer having kemonomimi styled dolls and elf ears are harder to hide/sticks out way more, eheh.

18. Very very "anime" faces - as in, kind of moe, the eyes aren't shaped very realistically (where they're almost square shaped? if that makes sense).
      SUPER SKINNY. And I feel like this is a big one for me, and informs why I rarely want most BJDs. I think if certain parts are very skinny BUT it's part of an interesting stylization or exaggeration, then that's fine. The one I'm trying to create has a tiny waist, so it's not that they can't be skinny. I just get bored seeing the same very thin frame over and over.
      And I'll second the balloon breasts. They look silly.

19. When I saw my fist pukipuki in person, I was enamored of the adorable size and posability. I have firmly banned myself from getting dolls under 20cm due to the difficulty of sewing in so small a scale, and fear of losing said dolls.