1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. My biggest turn-off is when the doll's body isn't sculpted well. I've seen some dolls with lovely faces and then you see the body and it's obvious they didn't put as much effort into it, or didn't have the skill to make a nicely shaped body.

2. I really hate when a doll has a really big smile. A frown doesn't really get to me as much but I prefer a neutral expression. Big smiles just seem like they're plotting. Or they just look plain creepy to me.

3. LOL...I have pictures of her but not from the waist down. I need to do that.

4. ~ Baby faces on adult bodies. It's just creepy and gross. Now, as has been stated, some people just have naturally youthful faces even as adults. Not an issue. One of my favorite boys is a DZ Yan head (young and pretty) on a 5Star MSD body (very mature), but it fits his character... and with faceup, wig, etc, he doesn't look like an overly built child.

~ Hands. When I first started in the hobby a few years ago, hands didn't bother me. Now... they're starting to. Still not nearly to the level they bother my bff, but they're getting there. Like, my very favorite boy, who I love with all my heart and soul, has the old DZ "disco finger" hands. One is practically a fist and the other is pointing... and it bugs me. Bad. So, he's getting new hands. A few of my others are getting hand-transplants soon too.

~ Boob of Death. The giant flotation devices that are out of proportion to the body, "afterthought" boobs, cupcake boobs - puffy and weird with a cherry on top, smashed-together, pron star implants, hover-boob - where they're so far apart you could drive a Buick up in there.... yeahhh, all that.

~ Feet. Lack of decent definition. Toes should have nail beds, and the foot should have contour. Not just elongated lumps with a few crudely drawn lines for "toes".

~ Oompa loompa skin. Tan and orange are not the same color. I repeat, NOT the same color!

I know I have others, but I'm braindead at the moment, so there's a few.

5. Body wise, being waaay too thin. I hate when they have all ribs out and boney knees. I think it looks really unattractive, as I find it so on humans too.

Face wise, cartoonish or unrealistic style. I think they look really great but it's not my thing.

6. Sculpts that have practically no distance between the chin and the neck, so that tipping the head up results in an anatomically implausible position. (I know I can't do it and still breathe.)

7. I think I have a few big turn offs:

Big lips: A lot of owners really like big, full lips on dolls, but they just don't look good to me. That being said, I don't want the lips to be so thin they're hard to see, either. If the dolls lips are too big - even if the rest of the doll fits what I want perfectly, I don't add it to my wishlist.

Baby Faced mature dolls: Baby faced dolls are cute when they're MSDs... not the same as adults.

Undefined Fingers/Toes: I don't want excruciating detail on them, but I've seen some of the larger dolls have very detail-less fingers. It doesn't look right to have a doll that looks almost completely realistic in every way, except hands and feet. It's not like the hands (at least) won't be seen, either.

White-skinned dolls: The disaster that would happen should I ever buy a white-skinned doll. I can only imagine my OCD traits kicking in constantly, always thinking I see a spot or a stain. Not to mention it would look out of place among my NS dolls.

Too skinny male bodies: One character I'd like to shell in the future is going to be difficult to create, and it's because most of the boy SD bodies are very slim and model-esque. The character isn't supposed to be model-slim, but a little more muscular. But even without shelling this character, I'm turned off by male bodies with very little muscle definition.

8. Noses that are too sharp, or a bridge that is too high or square-ish.
      Lips that are thin, weirdly shaped, or one lip that is far bigger than the other.
      Too skinny or lacking detail bodies.

9. For me, it's an inaccurately proportionate sculpt. Don't get me wrong, they can be beautiful, but when a doll's nose pokes out too far or his torso is too long.... Bleh. :T

10. I'm not a fan of tan skin dolls and I've come across a couple of dolls I otherwise like where I've been put off because there's no skin colour option and it's just tan. Ugh, I don't even know why that is, I'm just not a fan. Iplehouse realskin is probably as dark as I like to go, even then that looks natural and not orangey.

Noses bother me too, which makes no sense either since they can be sanded down and what not, but doing that freaks me out, even if I did get someone else to do it. So I tend to avoid larger noses.

I'm also not a fan of lanky torsos on guy dolls where you can see the ribs, I prefer somewhere in between that and super muscley (xD just like real life, again).

Most of mine are on males since for some reason I'm fussier about them.

11. I dont like childish looking adult dolls. It bugs me when companies have different sized dolls, and the different size categories correlate to different age categories. What if I just like smaller adult dolls? Too bad!

12. Dolls that look like me. A few times now I've come across a doll and gone "...why do I not like this face?" and then I realize they look like me in some way. I think it hits the uncanny valley for me in a way other dolls don't, plus I have a lot of self esteem issues lingering from an abused past. On the flip side, sometimes I wonder if I should shell myself as a doll who looks like me, to try and help myself with those issues.... and now I can't remember which sculpts look like me. Dx

Also, dolls with too-big noses or a hooked nose profile won't usually get anywhere on my want-list. If I were shelling a character who needed to look like that, though, that would change the picture entirely.

13. I finally gave up on finding a doll with the right nose for a character, but yeah, I definitely get a little put-off by noses that are too minimal. Especially on a doll who is otherwise not overly 'anime' in style.

14. I have something of a list
      Child heads on adult bodies
      Big boobs paired with tiny hips
      Too big eyes
      Pointy anime noses
      Lack of poseability
      Really small mouths
      Hands that are too big, too small or come in impractical gestures, like 2 closed fists that can't hold anything, it's fine if the extra hands that you buy separately are posed like that, but not the default hands.

15. The SD two s DOll Mayi that i purchased this last december represents everything i Hated in dolls...actually XDXD i dislike SD's with wide faces and i HATE ALL DOLLS WITH FINGERS THAT ARE FUSED TOGETHER also her boobs are so big and smooshed together and her nipples are so high up its so unnatural....but i wanted an SD girl and she was the cheapest on the market and her waist and hips win me over XD she has a redonkulously skinny waist and wide wonderful hips...... but yea the fingers thing omg i hate that so much.,.....

16. Ugh okay, I HATE really droopy, downturned eyes. But the big thing that makes it or breaks for me with a doll will always be the nose. I am VERY picky about my noses. My migidoll Ryu - WHAT A NOSE GOOD GOD I LOVE IT. Something like.... I dunno, Supia Emma, too pudgy and upturned! GAHK. Or noses that are only one smooth curved line from the forehead, seemingly with no bridge! or noses that are too 'pinched' looking..... I'm just.... really.... REALLY picky...

17. Ah I am put off by really realistic looking dolls, any kind of muscles, or veins. I also wouldn't get a doll with a blank Barbie doll space where their gens would be. V wV

@Swivelchair, catlex ha ha ha that's funny, for me the pointier and more the nose sticks out the cuter I think it is, especially in profiles.

18. when their default faceup is too dark
      really mature/realistic adult-looking dolls
      white skin without any blushing/almost transparent white skin

although recently I've seen some people's dolls that are beautiful despite these things I have listed

EDIT:
      feet that don't point (I realize that this is the large majority of BJDs out there since having feet that point nicely usually take away stability but I dance and recently injured my ankle and can no longer point it the way I used to so this has become really apparent and frustrating lately)
      shiny resin, some dolls are an exception but for the most part I really can't stand it

19. For some reason, some of these things bother me. To some, it's their cup of tea, but it's a bit weird for me.

*Lack of sculpting detail. I'm talking webbed/wedged together fingers and toes, or a crude "slit" for female genitalia. That being said...
      *EXTREME detail, like sculpted pubic hair and veins around that general vicinity :shudder
      *"Block" noses. The ones that look alright from profile view, but when you look at them straight on, you notice that they're in the shape of a rectangle, with the nostrils just carved underneath. Or really minimal noses on an otherwise beautifully sculpted face.
      *Really pointy chins and wide eyes. I guess really anime-like aesthetics put me off, although I find Dollfie Dreams to be absolutely pretty.
      *Afterthought boobs. Like, just slap on two spheres on a male body, shave off a bit of the waist to add as nipples, and call it female.

20. For some reason I really hate bigger dolls (MSDs or SDs) with big chunky hands. It makes them look like toddlers or something and really bugs me :p