1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. There are a few thing that get me not to like a doll. Some are mentioned above, but here is my list.

Ginormous Breasts, I prefer smaller, or medium.
      To much expression, I love interesting faces, but some are just trying too hard.
      Thick bodies, and thighs, some dolls look great in their resin nude, but bad in clothing. (I'm fine with wide hips.)
      Block hands, the fingers are melted together instead of spread apart.
      Big heads, on small bodies. or small heads on big bodies.
      Sleeping Dolls, what am I supposed to do with it, it's like a corpse.

2. ooh i really don't like single jointed dolls and dolls with extremely smushy looking "baby lips". i do love dolls with big lips, but sometimes they over-render the natural texture/topography into something that looks like the doll is having a terrible allergic reaction.
      another (pretty rare) one i don't like is when the eye holes extend to where the nose lands, it's weird and unappealing to me.
      also a lot of dolls i find have a distinct overbite (something you tend to see with anime style dolls, idk) and in profile i just hate the look of it :vein

3. Open mouths! I think a little part is fine and natural looking. But I don't think I've ever seen a doll with a fully open mouth that I liked. I especially dislike the "O" shaped ones or when their teeth show.
      Also super expressioned faces, I often think they're cute (with they're surprised or super happy faces) but I would never buy them. Maybe it's because I prefer neutral looking faces so the poses seem more natural.

4. - Really high-sitting breasts when they are very large, especially in more realistic sculpts (it looks better on anime-style dolls imo). IRL very large breasts just sag a little lower because of gravity even in a good bra, so it looks very unnatural to me. Although sculpting them lower would probably hinder mobility, now I think about it...
      - Underdefined lips. This is just a personal preference, but I like lips to have a more sharp edge (in the sculpt as well as in the faceup), and a lot of the younger-looking headsculpts have rather soft and under-emphasized lip borders

5. I don’t like “pointy” noses, they don’t look real to me and for me can spoil an otherwise lovely face.
      Not so keen on open mouths and teeth or “winking” dolls either, but that’s just my personal preference.

6. Big pouty bee-stung, smushed, too defined, or otherwise unnatural lips are a big turn-off for me. IDK, some just have a really weird shape? Like... no one has lips like that? I get that not everyone likes the 'natural' look and those sorts of dolls are supposed to be more stylized... but I guess it's a style I just don't personally like.

Another thing that bugs me is incorrect muscle placement. I'm a medical anatomist, so those details may go over other people's heads, but I can't look at such dolls without thinking 'that's not where the deltoids attach' or 'did they just invent a brand new muscle to put here?'

7. The lip thing is a massive issue for me too.

8. I don't like big/long noses and there have been at least a few dolls that I passed up on just because I couldn't get over their nose.

I've always felt the same way. It would be kind of cute to have a sleeping and non-sleeping head for the same character, but it wouldn't be worth it for me in the end.

9. I hate knife noses. You know, the ones that are so sharp and pointy from the profile view that you could cut veggies with them. Noticeably uneven eyes, sausage hands, and super pointy nipples are also pet peeves of mine. My doll should not be able to stretch clothing due to ridiculously sculpted nipples, imo.

Oh, and elbow/knee joints that look rectangular when the limb is bent. I love good posers as much as the next gal, but I'm not willing to sacrifice smooth lines and nice aesthetics for improved posing.

10. Teeth. Don't like them, don't want to see them. Most often the expression that has teeth isn't a pleasant one and it makes the supposed smile look like the doll is in pain. >_< The acceptation of course is vampire styles and definitely unmistakable smiles. If the lips are slightly parted and I can see weird little teeth, it just changes my whole outlook Lol. (I'm looking at you Doll Leaves)

11. I don't think I ever want to do a faceup on a doll with an open mouth, even the little parting of lips that's really common now. I would love to get a vampire, but the idea of painting teeth makes me want to cringe and never touch my supplies again. Unsteady hands plus small teeth plus hard to remove acrylic to make them look like teeth? A bad combo if you ask me.

12. Thick lips/duck lips. Really not a fan of those...
      Open mouths (with or without teeth, either is a nope for me).
      Too strong bodies. They look good in nudity only so they are extremely picky for outfits imo.

13. This hits the nail on the head for me in regard to how I would describe it. It is strange how scuptors think that they look good.

Thanks I feel exactly the same. I will not look at a sculpt closely if the mouth is open. The super expressioned faces can be actually scary to look at. They can be cute I agree but I would get bored of it quickly.

This I have recently discovered is something I don't like. Front on it usually is ok as you don't always see it but from the side profile it bothers me. It is a shame as there was a sculpt I really liked expression wise but the nose turned me off completly.

14. So my latest frustrations:
      -legs that are just so long (think resinsoul’s 60cm body, dollshe hound) the bodies I’ve listed are ones I’ve had and loved, for what it’s worth.
      -boobs are beating a dead horse at this point here. I like any size as long as they look right naked. Twigling’s a, b and c busts are all represented in my collection. Iple’s small bust HID blew me away, but I have a large bust Eid/sid and they’re alright. Boobs designed to look good in clothes are great in clothes, but I need mine to look good naked too.
      -really skinny limbs: like not limbs that are thin but well-sculpted (like dc) but limbs that are just tubes. And they’re way more common in thinner dolls. I’m tiny. Like unhealthy skinny and my arms still have some kind of shape (but almost no muscle).
      -male sculpts with the under-pec joint. I like it on male sculpts I intend to keep male, but when I do MtF mods, breasts sit lower, and that makes my life harder. Loongsoul makes that easier.
      -sculpts with abs of steel, but also no musculature in their arms and legs.
      -the babyface on adult body (like some of peakswoods’ sd size)
      -massive hands. Loongsoul’s 73 cm body was perfect for a mod project, but goodness, those hands are just massive. I swapped her down to a pair of Twigling hands, and I think those are much better.
      -really orange tan. Like not warm tan with a bit Of an orange lean, but really orange, like DC was putting out for awhile. I’m such a huge fan of cool, more brown tans. Angell studio, supia, iple, Soom and FL all have great tan shades.
      -fantasy colours that are super limited. Soom garion’s le3 blue fullest release, soom jerome’s jet black le3 fullset release, etc. I love fantasy colours, and I’d actually buy firsthand from Soom if I could get those without having to drop 7 million dollars in a fullset that doesn’t quite align with the character I’d have that for.

15. The large chest size is the one that I’ve got on my list. Some of them are cartoonishly massive and I find them a bit too much. I’m sure it’s what some people want, but it’s not my cup of tea. I’m also not into the super defined nether regions on sculpts. I’m just not really sure why it’s necessary considering that normally most people dress their dolls anyway. Again, just not my cup of tea. :)

16. Big boobies are the biggest turn off for me too. They can ruin an otherwise perfect doll for me. I might consider breasts that are on the larger side, but only if they also look natural in shape, not like they are pumped round with implants and deny gravity all over.

Another thing that bugs me is the mobility type thigh. It's all over useless for my needs that is mostly the doll standing or sitting in simple poses. It just creates an annoying slit on the thigh. I like that many companies allow to choose whether customers want it or not though.

Third thing is also already mentioned duck lips/unnaturally plump lips. It's just not my style and I don't know why I don't like them, I just don't.

17. Lol, so many replies remind me of my mom remembering her time in art school. She always talked about the sculpting teacher who would have to tell the male students to actually look at the female model's chests or at least get a girlfriend. He didn't want to see sculptures with two round balls glued to the chest region.
      Unfortunately some of these doll artists need the same lecture.
      I do admit it is one off my bigger turn offs too!

18. These have been so fun to read! A weirder one, but I hate seeing any trace of ribs or other signs of being painfully thin >>

19. a lack of skintone diversity... I have enough pale dolls, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a doll that I'll probably want to dye to a different color.

20. Agh I can't stand those big fake boobs :vein I'm also not a fan of boy dolls that have absolutely no lips and uhhh...not manly bodies if that makes sense?