1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. Muscular bodies....and baby face. Hate that one the most.

Skintone diversity for sure, also wish there were more race diversity and well in the sculpts. Speaking of sculpts, I would like to see more body diversity as well! Not just "thicc thighs", I would love to have a genuinely overweight doll!

Eyes spaced too far apart, or too large for the face sculpt.

2. This thread is hilarious to read through! I agree with a lot of the things mentioned in the post and I do hope that some of you become doll artists who cater to our needs :D That said, my biggest turn off would be obvious joints :( For example, when there is a gap between the joint and the limb it's attached to (most notably, when the hip joint does not follow the hip line and it looks like the upper torso and the bottom torso don't match). I see this in so many popular doll companies which is why I lean more towards artist dolls :)

3. I don't like big breasts either. Just personal preference. I feel maybe that it over sexualises them? I would also be reluctant to order a doll in tan due to the seam lines. Surely resin can be mixed well enough that it can be sanded without revealing an uneven colour? These aren't cheap play dolls, they shouldn't have seams.

4. I thought of something else I'm not always keen on - sad faces. I don't want my dolls to look permanently depressed!

5. Mine is, personally, square faces. Those perpetually pouty droopy faces with nonexistent chins and big, squared cheeks. Like, Kikipop shaped faces. Which is weird because I like Kikipops themselves, just less so their face shapes on BJDs - especially BJDs with more mature bodies. It just doesn't look right.

I also get kinda put off when a doll is too thin and delicate. I worry I'd accidentally snap one of those fragile little arms! Like a lot of Doll Chateau dolls are, for example. Maybe because my first two dolls were ABS and vinyl, all the resin dolls I've gotten afterwards seem so fragile in comparison ...

6. Yes it can, but that's not the problem. It has to do with how changing the texture of the surface changes how it reflects and absorbs light. In order to get the color to match again, you have to match the texture, which isn't always feasible.

This of course doesn't relate to some of the old tan dolls whose color really was only in the outermost layers, or so I've heard. I don't think any company still makes them that way.

#866 Sianserais, Jun 8, 2020
      Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    7. I know I already posted about something similar, but it's become a bigger issue now that I'm back to looking at male dolls...

When the stylization on one half of the face doesn't match the other. Like you'd have these gorgeous semi-realistic eyes and nose bridges and then it gets down towards the jaw and... it's... non-existent. Like teeny tiny narrow little jaw and tiny mouth to match. My theory is that they're sculpted that way so that the head looks less bobble-headed on the tiny, narrow neck that company has going for their male bodies, but it's just... so unattractive! Just keep the stylization the same - either more stylized eyes and brows/nose to match the jaw and neck, or just nut up and give your male body a thicker neck. It doesn't have to be Conan the Barbarian thick, just not a chicken neck. No matter how "feminine" your dude is supposed to be, testosterone is still a thing and even pretty boys in anime have proportional necks if they're supposed to look like proportional adults.

8. Sometimes I like the sculpt but the make up make me change my mind

9. I agree with everyone that's mentioned the lips. I especially do not like when they have these lines coming down the peaks of the upper lip. It just looks so weird to me.

10. I actually don't care for too small/nearly invisible noses! I don't like when faces are stylized with only a little peak for a nose. I love a good nose!!

11. Faceups... I do not like the permanent sad/worried eyebrows on every doll I see. Same with angry brows. I guess I just prefer neutral faceups haha.

12. I'm not a fan of teeth on dolls. I can sort of give vampire fangs a pass if they're not too large or obvious, but even then I find them hard to love.

I'm also not a fan of half-opened or sleeping eyes, I feel like I get more expression and versatility if the eyes are opened more. Also, hands without details. I love the delicate hands on dolls, but when they have no details like nails or are just completely straight/all together instead of having some apart it makes me sad.

13. For some kind of reason, I have a strong dislike for "anime" faces and baby faces. I thought I hated bobbleheads, but I guess that, while I wouldn't like one, I can understand the appeal?

And huge breasts, especially if they look like cut-off spheres. There are tons of muscles and fat tissues in breasts, it's never perfectly round! So it bother me a lot.

• Anime face-sculpts. Anime faces look good in 2D form, but they look super generic in 3D form.
      • Incorrect anatomy. No, that’s not how digitigrade/ungulate legs work. (I’m partial to fantasy dolls, as you can tell, haha).
      • Open mouths/exposed teeth/exaggerated expressions get a hard pass from me.
      • To add to that last part: buck teeth in general. Rabbits are my favorite animal and most every rabbit doll (anthro or otherwise) has comically huge buck teeth. Real rabbits’ teeth aren’t exposed like that. Idk, I just don’t find it cute.
      • Centaur dolls with the horse half too large/small proportionally for the human half.
      • Not a huge fan of the pear-shaped body trend. Just not my thing.
      • When the arms are stick thin but then the legs are suuuper thick. (I see this a lot in the pear-shaped bodies).
      • Resin with no tooth. Otherwise, it’s too plastic-y feeling for me.

14. Overly large hands. The older SoulDoll Zenith boy body had remarkable Yaoi Hand Syndrome going on.

Uncommon sizing is also enough to put me off track. I used to have Iplehouse EIDs and a LoongSoul 75cm on my wishlist until I realized it's a complete PITA to dress them! Even the mature-style 40cms from Iplehouse and Luts are difficult to find reasonably scale clothing for. I just don't want to fuss...

15. My biggest turn-off is human dolls. Well, I'm exaggerating, I just find them boring because I'm an anthro dolls fan. But the thing I really don't like is child-like body and child-like dolls in general. I feel wired about them, and I find childish proportions and bodies unattractive or even ugly. And unrealistic balloon-styled boobs. Like... It looks strange, unrealistic and overly sexualised.

16. White skintones... the porcelain, ghostly, flat white tone. I also don't like super emaciated dolls, dolls with super tiny waists and super full chests/hips, and anthros.

There's also the fact that I adore Dust of Dolls Roze Heln and Cham Byol, but I think that those extra ball joints in their necks are awful looking :XD: I have Roze Heln on my wishlist but I'd still debate buying her solely because of how much I dislike that part of her design.

17. The lack of thinner heads for adult female dolls, like think of resin soul Lian, I need more of those faces instead of the more rounded full cheeked look.

Boring torsos. I like stomach details, my first BJD had a ton of stomach detailing and he was so fun to have shirtless.

(warning extreme weirdness ahead) half @$$ed doll dongs, like if you must make these dolls anatomically correct for whatever reason OWN IT like Dollchateau has those awesome little jointed ones, and that one company who'd name I can't remember had the little magnet ones. My poor lil dollfamily H guy has a barely formed tik tac and I'm just like you poor boy. I don't know why this bothers me so much, my dolls are almost always clothed anyway and I don't take sexualized pics or anything like I've seen some people do (no judgment) it's just these companies made the bizarre choice to make these dolls fully correct in those areas so ether do it right or don't do it at all lol.

18. The two hard "turn offs" for me are "squished" joints - the ones that look like the ball was to large and got showed in to a socket that is to small for it. And the "coconut boobs" - when the breasts are clearly just two half circles that where added to a flat chest and are not even blended in well - that is just plain lazy.
      The rest is just styles - I can admire all kinds of dolls :) I can't own all of them thou, and the sculpts I like so much I want to personally own them is a matter of "likes" rather than "dislikes" for me - they have to have attributes that I find extremely appealing, not just "nice" or "pretty" and lots of them.

19. I also don’t care for big boobs on dolls either.

I also can’t stand the really pointy, skinny, harsh noses I see on so many dolls. My first BJD (a KDF Ani) has this weird pointy upturned nose that I didn’t notice in pictures when ordering her. When I got her, I was SO bummed about her weird pointy pig-like nose. It looks so strange from the side, that my family members even commented on how weird it looked. I ended up ordering a new head because of it.

It’s the reason why I’m so hesitant to order a doll unless I can see side view pictures of its face. A nose can make or break a sculpt, to me.

#880 Sheyda, Sep 11, 2020
      Last edited: Apr 20, 2021