1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. I don't like eyebrows that are too short or just look like a blob, it’s painful to look at. And buck teeth, I really want a realpuki but the latest one has so big teeth I couldn’t bring myself to buy one - and normally I have nothing against dolls with teeth showing. And face sculpts that look angry or sad - no matter how good the face up is.

2. Clunky-looking hands are a big turnoff for me. Most other things don't bother me so much.

3. - Giant balloon boobs. They'd look fine on doll wearing a corset but what about when she's wearing literally anything else? I don't mind bigger boobs otherwise, it's just that "pressed together" kind that really bothers me. (see for example Senior Delf Body GIRL Type 3 & 4 - meanwhile Type 2 is fine in my eyes despite her too having big boobies)
      - Mature bodied dolls with baby face, goes for both genders, nothing looks dumber than doll with huge breasts or bodybuilder body and then it has one of those kawaii uguu faces to ruin it all.
      - Ugly/weird expressions. For example Angel of Dreams' HuiXiang startled me when I saw her, she doesn't look like a happy mother who just gave birth to a baby instead she's Titan from Attack on Titan about to eat that baby! It's weird since their other dolls look perfectly fine to me. :/ This includes all those yawning or bawling dolls too, the only exception I can handle are dolls with tongues, I actually kind of like them? Especially if they have options for different tongues/tooth parts you can swap.
      - Super muscular male bodies. Okay I don't mind little bit muscles but most sculpts are far overdone on that department, I don't want a doll who only eats protein bars and lives in gym, I just want a normal guy with normal body.
      - And on topic of bodies, super skinny ones that have each and every rib bone clearly visible are turn off too D: Please, eat a sandwich you poor starving doll!
      - Ugly belly buttons. Most dolls just have a little indent poked there but some have more detailed ones and I've never seen a pretty one.
      - Ugly collarbones. I can't explain this one but some dolls have such ugly collarbones that I can't look at them
      - Vampire teeth and buck teeth. I can handle bit of normal kind of teeth showing, it can even be kind of cute, but those ugly rabbit kind of teeth some dolls have or vampire teeth? No thanks. Or maybe vampire is okay again if it's one of those dolls where you have optional mouth pieces, but I wouldn't want a doll that comes with the vampire teeth as their only option.
      - Really awful preview images. Some companies have such bad pictures to present their dolls and you think the doll is ugly but then you see someone post a picture of the same doll and they're actually rather gorgeous? I get that it's already expensive to produce these dolls so paying for professional to take the preview pictures might be out of question but really, it would sell so much better if it was possible to see the doll better.
      - Also maybe a bit odd one but company websites that still use Flash. I haven't even had that piece of shit installed for years, nobody should have it installed at this point, please update your site to work without it!

This turned a lot longer than I intended but I guess I'm just really picky about everything. ^^;

#883 digi, Oct 12, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    4. Gosh I feel like Volks does this a lot and I just “...zzz” about it or maybe it’s just me!

5. For the most part my big turn-offs are realistic teeth, big/really pointy noses, eyes that are way too big. I know the last one is pretty subjective, but what I mean buy it is eyes that just don't suit the face. I've seen faces the were pretty realistic but then for some reason the eyes were way out of proportion. Also I don't really like child like dolls (mature tinies for the win haha)

6. My biggest turn off is eyes that are too big. I notice many bjds have larger eyes than I’d like, and while I don’t think they’re ugly, theyre just not what I want for my characters. Sometimes there’s a nice sculpt ruined for me by having the eyes be too long or too wide..

7. I agree with you 100% eyes that look way out of proportion ruin the whole face:frownyblush:

8. I am repelled by unrealistic body proportions. Breasts that look like muffins slapped on the thin chest, unnaturally long calves (pain of many dolls), ridiculously large male spider hands (I look at you, Venitu).

9. My biggest pet peeve is that there are so many realistic looking boy heads with all different expressions but girls are either pouty or vampy. Why can't I find a mature girl next door smile?

10. Rib cage looking joints? Like older female bodies where the torso joints look like a rib cage because of the way they are cut. Specifically the Luts SDF type 1 body. Its so uncomfortable to look at!

11. I hate chubby fingers and toes on a doll with an otherwise skinny frame

12. I am with everyone who said - big balloon boobs. I don't mind the large breasts, but the really round fake ones look silly. There is someone on Etsy who shows her necklaces on a doll like this. The necklaces would look so much better on a doll with an attractive cleavage!

I do like large eyes, but some dolls have what appears to be gaps in the lower outside edges of their eyes that makes them look like something is wrong with the muscles in their eyes. It might be a product of their face-up?

I also don't like face-ups that put so much dark around the eyes that they look like they have 2 black eyes. (I think some of this could be due to the lighting in the photograph but it would cause me to reconsider that face-up.

One more thing - for me, personally, I don't like parts to a doll (except elf ears) that can't be removed or exchanged that are not human. that being said, I do like seeing pictures of other people's dolls that have these. I just wouldn't purchase one unless it came with extra feet/legs/head etc. that were normal human.

I know! It's almost like they've put the wrong hands and feet on the doll!

#892 Dollquest, Oct 13, 2020
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2020
    13. I'm sure I posted in this thread a long time ago. I can't recall what I might've wrote, and don't really care to look back and check.

So—more recently I've developed some gripes while searching for just the right heads for my OCs that I feel fits in this thread: Disproportionate head size. I had my main guy that went through a few different heads with this issue before I found the perfect one (on a whim, no less). Two of the three were too small, while the other was massive. The heads on their own were gorgeous, and on a properly proportionate body they'd be fine, but they just didn't work for that boy because of their size.

A list of some of my other ones:
      round, young, anime-influenced female faces that are supposedly mature. Where are all the longer, narrower eyed beauties with chiseled cheekbones and elegant features?? Most of the time I just find these round faced, teenage looking girl sculpts that just don't work for me at all.

Abnormally sized cleavage, especially of the helium balloon variety. I have one girl that I picked up early on with balloon boobs (that I might do some surgery on in order to make them look more natural eventually), but kind of actively avoid getting bodies that have such exaggerated features as these. I'm especially bothered by over-sized squishy bosoms, which makes a majority of vinyl gals a huge turnoff for me.

Boy with tictacs between their legs. Might be one of the reasons I don't like child-like dolls, but really—I like the manbits to look just like that, manbits. It's strange and a bit off-putting to discover some horribly under-developed, misshapen lump existing between their legs where a proper penis should be.
      (An aside for the above: I also much prefer a boy body with moveable/interchangeable manbits. Stationary ones kind of irk me, but I can tolerate boy bodies that have them.)

chubby cheeks, round faces, and large eyes. Especially when there's a lack of a chin, and especially when the face is very toddler/child-like (whether it's a child-like doll or a mature one). There are some sculpts out there that looked like they had mumps because of how puffy the cheeks were. I speed past these when doing head/doll hunting because they freak me out.

Starved skinny bodies. I'm fine with the likes of Doll Chateau, Dream Valley, etc, but Popovy and the like? Unless they're stylized...no. Just—no.

Soft faced bishie boys. As I've become more and more interested in veering towards realistic and mature bjds in general, I've been dismayed by the majority of male sculpts out there being very smooth and bishie-like in appearance. Noses are too thin and pointy, hardly any cheek definition, and looking like they just popped out of an anime. I can appreciate them in others' collections, of course (that applies to most of what's listed above), but they don't work for my OCs.

The Hillbilly chin. Or the lack of a neck-to-chin ratio when seen from a side profile. A majority of older sculpts suffer from this, and I've reshelled OCs/character bjds because of this. It looks so weird and unnatural, especially when you have a couple and one has realistic chin-neck proportions while the other doesn't.

14. Recently I've been getting more picky and I'm starting to notice all kinds of features that I HATE in dolls :sweat

-Single joints in the arms or legs. Even if I don't plan on any particularly tricky poses, the articulation is part of the fun. I just can't stand a doll that isn't sufficiently articulated.

-This is gonna seem stupid picky, but dolls that don't have a "channel" down the top of the leg from the hip to the thigh. I believe Iplehouse does this on some of their sculpts? MYOU as well. I think it's supposed to make joints more seamless but for some reason its really aesthetically unappealing to me, and in my experience the doll's posing suffers from it too.

-Young sculpts that look too "jowly" or chubby-cheeked. To me ALM doll and Gem of Doll tend to have this problem

-Bulky, ungainly animal parts. Dream Valley is one of my favorite companies but it releases a LOT of dolls with huge, heavy, awkward fantasy features. I'm not huge on anthro dolls, period, but especially not when they're so huge and conspicuous.

-Jointed/extra peens. Just. What's the damn point. I don't need an unstable ween roaming around creating unpleasant bulges in pants. The only saving grace is that I can immediately remove them and throw them in the box and never have to worry about them again.

-Half-lidded or almond shaped eyes that are too large. Some dolls have eyes that are just way too long from corner to corner, and as a result seem too close together or too far apart. Sometimes both at the same time. It's hard to explain, but I've noticed a lot of "classic" old dolls have eyes like this.

-Dolls with sculpted veins anywhere. Ew!!!

Pretty sure my biggest turn-off is still just bland, expressionless, boringly perfect model faces, though. :lol:

15. I've found several companies that have lovely mature women bodies with faces that look very childlike. If a doll's body has curves, she should not have toddler cheeks. I think they're meant to look sweet, but I find it unappealing.

This wasn't always the case for me, but single jointed bodies. Some of my most loved dolls have them, but I find their limits hard to forgive.

16. I don't like balloon boobs but I guess that wouldn't totally turn me off something (boob mod seems doable?).
      But like, I still don't want it LOL.

I'm actually really bothered by narrow shoulders especially on girl bodies. I can't fix that!
      For faces, I get bothered by some chin sculpts but there's not just one thing so its hard to pin down what actually bothers me.

17. tbh im here on the unrealistic balloon boob-hating bandwagon. Just hazarding a guess that boobs are flexi so the way natural braless boobs rest may not fit as nicely into corsets/cleavage tops. But with clothes on everything is hidden. So from a sculptor's standpoint i can see why it's easier to just slap 2 halves of a globe onto a chest, ensure the cleavage is good and call it a day.

I got so hung up on this that the ONLY femme body I liked was Granado's nuevo. the feet on that body are tiny but it's easier to hide those in shoes than to feel sad for my daughter having sad boobs. I just want her to be happy.

also this is not so much a peeve, more like a trigger for me personally: realistic baby sculpts. it scares me a little, I don't know why. it's not the realism though, grown sculpts do not trigger the uneasiness.

18. Oh man, I noticed that most people have a general turn off for exaggerated proportions, especially for heads or...other bits :lol:
      I kind of have that too but as time goes by it bothers me less and less. I think it all comes down to the Uncanny Valley - check out some articles about it, its super interesting!

Me too! I figured I wasn't alone in this, but I've been hesitant to talk about it. Often while shopping for non BJD dolls or doll clothes I've seen Reborn and other "lifelike" baby dolls and just...theres something about them that are on the verge of triggering. No hate on people that like or collect them---all hobbies are great! I just can't get over it either...

I personally collect more cartoony dolls, so dolls that have veins and other realistic details don't appeal to me to begin with. I LOVE some of the Doll Chateau insect dolls like the spider one, but I have arachnaphobia so I can never own one :( heh

19. I don’t mind big breasts (except those baloon like). I also don’t like too small breasts. It makes the doll very child like.
      Also I don’t like big proportions. I don’t mind chubby dolls but I don’t like thick ankles and wrists.
      I also don’t generally like facial expressions. Open mouth like Angelphilia. Teeth showing.
      Lastly I wouldn’t buy a doll with molded scars or other “imperfections”. I very much liked one doll, facewise it was a perfect representation of what I needed. Bum, scar across one eye. And the eye was even a bit more closed than the other. :...(

You guys who mind the thing in trousers. It reminded me of my sister. When I was a child and got Ken, she immediately undressed him and checked his bottom parts. :lol:

20. cantaloupe boobies are a dislike of mine as sell. Cartoon hands on an otherwise nice body are my biggest peeve though.