1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

That one turn-off

Aug 2, 2012

1. Extra pointy take-your-eyes-out chins and overly defined nipples that are near impossible to disguise in any outfit without sanding them off.
      Under defined fingers, fused fingers, feet without enough definition and extra unrealistically long shins are a few of my other turn offs.

2. I will concur with ugly joints! That's enough to make me sell a doll, even if the doll is clothed all the time. They might not show, but I know they're there.

How ugly? Unidoll High School ugly...

[​IMG]

I hated those floating kneecaps!

Meldandy, I agree with you about expressions. I don't mind a sulky doll once in a while, but I don't want anyone who's downright miserable. Too depressing!!

LOL, tirsden! I don't know of any dolls that look like me, and I've never been vain, but if I see a head sculpt that reminds me of me, I like it! And I've always liked the Volks SD and SD13 girl bodies because they remind me of the figure I used to have. I think these dolls seem kind of familiar and comfortable to me, so that must be why I like them!

Two of my DollZone girls have figures that most people here seem to dislike (torpedo breasts with prominent nipples and narrow hips), and in general I don't like those features either, but they seem to suit these characters really well! And I love their long legs and tiny waists. They look great dressed, IMO, and they're not too objectionable even nude (mainly cos their joints aren't ugly).

And I know people don't like tiny hands on males, and I don't either... but the AoD 60cm male body that lived here briefly had hands that seemed too huge for it and I had to sell him! He had tiny feet too. :-p If it had been one or the other I could have handled it, but not both!!

Ooh, I understand that! I took my SD13 Volks oldskin School to a doll show once and the overhead fluorescent lighting made him look ill!! Sickly yellow. He hates going anyway, so I just won't take him any more. He still photographs beautifully at my house.

Sorry, that's way more than one thing!!

Linda S.
      galatia9

3. I've just ordered the Fayette - Titania with that bodystyle, and I think there's a bit of logic behind it. I'm guessing (because she hasn't been delivered yet), that the plate is there to maintain the joint profile underneath clothes. It stops the double 90 degree angle that some double joints give you, by creating a three-point profile. Of course, she could arrive, and I discover it doesn't work as I anticipate.

A few things I can't stand though, off the top of my head.

Hand sculpts with that sticky-up little finger. Have you ever tried doing that with your own hands?

Bulbous joints, with a huge visible slot, at the top of the thigh.

Buttocks that look like a single block, with a line simply cut into it, like this body style: (http://www.eluts.com/shop/step1.php?number=290)

Stuck-on type, or overly large breasts.

4. I've already seen people say some of these already but for me:

Big, unrealistic eyes
      Big, open mouth smiles (well, closed too unless it's *meant* to look creepy)
      Young faces on mature bodies
      Young faces with adult clothes

5. Elbow joints. I don't like it when the elbows have an unrealistic look to them. I can deal with the knees most of the time but the elbow joints kill me because you can see them through the shirts and if they look off it just wigs me out.

6. I really, really hate the way most companies make boy's legs. They look like sticks with some muscles just stuck to them. I studied anatomy as it pertains to art... even thin thighs have a graceful curve to them. I just can't stand to see them turned into matchsticks. Thank you, Souldoll, for your meaty thighs. I wish other people would catch on.

After that comes canlkes, and fat wrists. I know there's a ball joint there, but does it have to be so gosh darned big?

7. I know this has been said but: I dislike babyish/young/child-like faces on adult/SD dolls. I also dislike unproportioned bodies (when the head is too big specifically) for any doll size, and big boobed girls! That one drives me crazy! :horror: I just dont know why it's neccessarry to have boobs that big on a doll. Looks...weird. No offense to anyone who likes everything I said about a doll~! :)

8. Call me really picky but I have multiple things that really bug me. I don't like unrealistic bodies (i.e. giant boobs on female bodies and super muscular six packs on male bodies), wide-set eyes, noses and lips that are overly thin, and limbs that are basically cylinders with no contours. I know it doesn't really matter all that much when you put clothes on a doll, but they all factor in for me when I choose what to buy. :/

9. I dont like thicker bodied dolls.

10. Skinny dolls, with ribs carved, if the doll is not muscle-y.
      I don't really like Spiritdoll SD13 girl and boy mold. Too skinny!

But the case is different for their Herculean body though hehe

11. I can't stand insanely disproportionate faces! Like when the eyes are too far apart or the ears too large (not counting animal ears, love those), or too flat of noses, stuff like that. Doesn't matter how beautiful or artistic the doll may be, when I see those horribly disproportional faces, I just get grossed out.

12. Ahh I wasn't going to comment on this but after reading through everyone else's comments I have to, haha.
      Also I have a list :I

-Wide lipped dolls. I dunno what it is about them but I just can't stand dolls that have really wide lips. They just make the doll look creepy to me.
      -Awkward joints (like the ones above, floating kneecaps, bulky joints). I mean I get that they're dolls, but really that just looks creepy.
      -Sleeping dolls. I think many sleeping molds are beautiful but I just can't get myself to buy one...
      -Big headed dolls. I personally like more realistic sculpts so the bigger heads kind of weird me out.
      -Tiny butts. I like big butts, no shame. :I
      -Really skinny bodies. I like bodies that have a little bit of meat on them, the overly skinny bodies aren't bad, they just don't really fit what I like.

13. -The flat flipper-feet on Iplehouse dolls really gross me out, as much as I like the rest of them I just can't get past those revolting feet.
      -I love the old Souldoll double boy body... but those knees are just, yikes! (http://souldoll.com/shop/step1.php?number=983) Major deal breaker. That goes for any doll that has double joints that look like that. The floating kneecap and elbow I can handle (I have a Granado body) but when it wraps around to the sides it just looks weird.

14. Huh, that's odd.
      I really like the dolls with big breasts.

15. I think my biggest turn off is mobility. I could fall head over heels for a doll but if I find out it is single jointed, I'm over it.

16. Weird, anatomically incorrect bodies. No, not like that...I mean bodies that are just totally unrealistic. Not necessarily "stylized" unrealistic...but I keep thinking about some of the weird, gravity defying boobs I've seen. Not the kind that are sculpted to look corseted...those don't bother me. I'm thinking especially of the V1 1/3 girl body that Fantasydoll made - the breasts weren't particularly big, but they were kind of...wandering off in different directions. And the arms looked like toothpicks, too, so that didn't help. The rest of the body looked fine, though...

17. Torso joints that do NOTHING. I'm looking at you, Fairyland and Volks. Why have a joint/break if it can't even move?! Drives me to insanity and back...
      And, dolls that can't sit without actual modding. I should not have to sand parts off so my doll can sit, I'm sorry, I just shouldn't.

This pet peeve goes all the way back to my first doll ever: belly buttons. I hate it when it looks like they just stuck a toothpick in there and called it done. The worst part is, all the other dolls made by that company have great belly buttons, but the SD boys have a toothpick hole. :P

18. I think the biggest turn-off I've experienced is greenish white skin dolls. I love many dolls which are in this skintone, but it is just not for me. I can't seem to get over it within my own collection. @.@

I shy from heads which are far too big for their bodies too. Many dolls have a cartoonish proportion which is fine, but some heads are just way overly huge for their bodies. XD; If I wanted disproportional heads, I'd collect Blythes or Pullips. Lol~

Bodies with rippling collarbones and neck muscles. XD They look so tense and painful. D:

Most double jointed knees and useless joints (they don't do what they were made to do).

I think might have a dislike for sexualized baby-faced dolls too. I know there are collectors out there with Adult minis and even Yos... I'm not talking about a mini with boobs, I'm talking about a very sexual presentation/sculptural quality of these dolls. I think my adversity just finds them a bit disturbing.

19. Bobobie dolls themselves are just a turn off for me. The resin looks and feels... eh cheap? Maybe cheap isn't the right word, but in comparison to other company's sculpts, there is a definite difference. The resin almost looks like plastic.

20. I'm not really a fan of unrealistic proportions, but it really just depends on the doll for me!