1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The best resin in Dollfie company.....

May 1, 2008

1. I don't own any of those.

Of what I own, Unoa and Elfdoll have the best resin based on your question.

I also have a French Resin Narae whose resin is translucent and gorgeous, but yes likely to yellow if I don;t keep it out of bright light (I have an early Narae with no UV additive - no idea about the yellowing resistance of the newer resin).

Carolyn

2. I've held a few companies dolls before and the ones I personally own, this is only my opinion though. I've added a few other companies that's not on the list. Overall I think it depends what type people prefer.

1) Volks, just judging by the head I own, Volks resin is the heaviest and sturdiest. I'm not sure about yellowing as I've only had the head for 2 months.

2)DollZone, my little Mo's arms has yellowed, it's not noticeable until you compare his arms with his legs. He's been wearing sleeveless tops most of the year. The yellowing is even and not bright yellow, it's more creamy than when he arrived, very pinkish. The resin is mid, not really heavy but not light either. It's a good weight but does feel a bit fragile compared to my Volks head.

3)Luts. Personal preference I prefer Luts resin. Yellowing is quite gradual. My El has yellowed a very little amount but the skin tone match is 99% with my Shine who is 1/2 a year newer. The weight is ranging on mid to heavy but according to older members it used to be heavier so I'll go with mid. Feels sturdy when holding but still a feeling of fragile when playing. I've not experienced cracking with the resin, although I've heard about this, from the Luts dolls I've seen none as cracked as of yet.

4)Bobobie, the resin is nice and smooth. A bit light for my liking, lighter than DZ. No visable yellowing after 9 months, it's still the same colour as when it came.

5)Fantasydoll, I've only got the body so i'll work on that. The resin is sanded and is very smooth to touch, the weight is almost the same as CP/Luts. The weight surprised me as it's quite heavy, heavier than bobobie and DZ. No feeling of fragile. No yellowing as of yet as it's a new body.

6) I've also played with DoDs and Elfdolls. Personally I'm not fond of the resin for Elfdoll, it's too shiny and feels more plastic and is lighter than Luts. It feels less delicate than Luts. It's lovely but not my cup of tea. As for DoD, it's fair, not my style either but the resin is nice and has yellowed quite nicely.

Overall I would say Volks (so far) by weight and sturdiness is the best. I would say Fantasydoll and Luts come in second with each other. Dollzone, then bobobie. But these are only my personal experience so it's not entirely correct.

3. From what I've seen, I'd have to say Volks resin. I don't own one myself, but a friend does and I love how heavy her doll is and how the resin seems to 'glow'. It looks much more alive than the other dolls I've seen. And it feels very sturdy. Volks dolls give the impression you can drop them from a ten floor building and nothing will happen to them (of course.. don't try this at home folks) 9/10

CP resin: I love the tanning colour, but I hate how inconsistent this resin is. If I wanted to buy new hands for my tanning Lishe it would probably be a bad match. And (even though Zana has no problems like that) I think you hear too often about the resin cracking. Therefore it's only getting a 6/10 from me.

Dollstown resin has a nice feel. It's also very heavy (my MSD is almost as heavy as my tanning lishe who is an SD). Besides I like the overal colour and it seems consistent. They said the resinmatch with volks was near perfect, and it is. So they get an 8/10 from me.

Domuya. I like how heavy it is, but it's also rather shiny. Besides, to me the resin feels as if it was treated with oil. So this one too only gets a 6/10.

I do have an elfdoll doll, but it's only a head (lord alikaj is an elfdoll/domuya hybrid) so I don't think I can say anything useful about it.

4. Volks is excellent! I have 3 Volks dolls, Normal Skin and the new UV Protect skin plus a yellowed old skin body. The resin is HEAVY. They out weigh my Lishe quite a bit. I have the good yellowing experience- my old skin body has a nice skin tone to it though is definately yellower when compared to the newer bodies. The yellowing would probably be more even except for the amature seam removal job that was fone on him...

Old CP resin- My Lishe Isabella is from 2005. She's a BW and while she hasn't turned bright yellow, she's gone to an even creamy off white that still photographs as stark white. I bought her new hands and they don't match at all but I don't mind. The resin is squeeky even after 3 yrs but has held up really nicely. And while I know her resin isn't as thick as my Volks I don't really wory about her breaking.

Dollmore white skin- SUPER white and very light. I have a 1 yr old DM MSD white skin and a newer whiteskin DM MSD. They are white like paper and so far haven't yellowed. The resin is so light it took me aback when I first got Cosette and I worried I'd break her. But so far she's still good and is still going strong. Her seam lines aren't too deep or obvious which is nice, same for my Sathariel. I love them both and wouldn't hesitate to buy more Kid Dollmores

ElfDoll- I have an Alice re-release and the resin is very pleasant. Of all my doll the little piggy and my Volks are the ones who didn't smell strongly of resin when they were opened.

DIM- I JUST got two DIM MSDs and the resin has a very different feel then all my other dolls. Not bad, just different. They are in the new DIM resin and it's very nice. They are pale and seem very sturdy.

MNF- I JUST got a MNF head in NS and it seems pretty nice. Smooth and even and a good color.

5. Thank for replies... I would ask you, pure white skin is yellowing more fast that normal skin? I thought that pink is more easy to become yellow while 'white pure skin' is so candid and white that could remain more white than normal pink's yellowing process...
      is true?

I would like to buy or a Dollzone (MO - white skin) or Fairyland (Seorin) but I think that Dollzone's resin is more delicate reading here.... so I don't know what to buy...
      Before to buy I would like to know more about all resins...
      I don't know what to do....

6. Depends on your preference. Fairyland resin is the same as CP's delfs so between the two they're both nice in my experience. DZ is lighter than CP and not as dense so the quality is not as good in weight and sturdiness. But from owning both, they're both very durable resin types (well from experience I'm sorry if this is not true) and neither has ever chipped, cracked or broke for me.

MNFs are a little heavier than DZ minis (asuming by your post) from what I can remember since last time I played with one. But it's not a massive difference, just a little heavier. Some people choose by choosing the resin quality like sturdiness and weight, others choose the head mold. The only advice to give is, go with which head you prefer that's all really. Personally I reckon if you like them that's all it matters, you just have to be careful regardless how sturdy the resin is. You could always get both.

7. I think that Dream of Doll's new resin is amazing. I love 'em pale. DOD was my first doll, so I didn't have anything to compare against, but at a doll meet I got to see a few other companies up close, and I still think DOD's resin is some of the best! I love how it stays nice even as it yellows.

Doll Zone's white resin is also beautiful. It has an amazing creamy look. I find it a touch too yellow to be perfect though.

8. My personal favorite is the Volks - especially my sunlight boy's and I absolutely love my Dollzone BB's resin. I've had both normal and white BB's in the DZ resin and I love it. There is an undeniable quality to the Volks resin though.

9. That's so weird, I was just about to say that my DZ minis are heavier than my MNFs, hands down. Maybe they just feel that way to me because they're so much less floppy? XD;;;

I have CP (from both Luts and Fairyland) and DZ dolls right now, but I've owned a DoD in the past.

The DoD was the weirdest, resin-wise. He was shiny in some patches, rough in others, smooth on some parts and just overall inconsistent. He was also the palest normal skinned doll I've ever seen, but he was also pretty sturdy (he had the nicest hands I've seen on a boy doll yet, too).

CP resin is a pain in the ass to match, so our dolls are everything from my rosy pink Shiwoo to my almost-a-match-for-real skin Moon (who is a year old and doesn’t seem to have changed color despite our n00bish tendencies to take him out for hours at a time at picnic meets early on) to our El, who is bone white despite being NS. I haven't had any breakage yet, but as others have said, it's pretty inconsistent batch to batch (and the way the type 2s are constructed at the head joint does wear at the neck). I haven't had this problem with our MNFs, though. I think there's just less weight on the neckpiece.

Our DZs are pretty heavy, thick dolls. They do come without seams, and I am absolutely in love with the sculpt on the 1/4 boys, but I've had a lot more problems with staining on this resin than I have with the CPs. I don't know if that's the batch both bodies were from (they're roughly the same age and color), but a handy magic eraser has taken care of the problem so far. So far they have not yellowed at all.

I don't think it's really a matter of one company having the "best" resin so much as it is that you realize each company has its quirks and you do your research beforehand so you know how to take care of your dolls.

10. seriously? lol the only MNF i played with is strung just as tight as my DZ, lol but i can make sure of that tomorrow when i see that little Chiwoo again.

11. That's interesting. While I've only got Dollzone dolls so don't know much about other companies' resin, at the one meet up I went to everyone commented on how heavy my boy was. I was fairly surprised that the other dolls I held (one of which was a Luts doll) seemed a little lighter than my doll.

12. I concur, my boy is quite heavy. Especially compared to other dolls his size.

If you add the resin of dolls I have had for less than a year and haven't had time to yellow... Volks is one of my least favorites. It does not tool well and it feels soft. It also smells bad.

Unoa is very hard, but not brittle.

Soom is fantastic, and smells good.

Elfdoll Homme stinks. I had to air my boy out for weeks! The color is great though.

Unidoll Limiteds have the best, dark, rich french resin. It is very soft though.

Latidoll is nice. I haven't tried sanding it though.

13. That's been pretty much my experience--they vary when it comes to texture, weight, and color. However, I've never gotten a doll that has really felt sub-standard or not held up (and I handle my dolls a lot). It really depends on what appeals to a person. If it helps any, here are my observations based on my own dolls:

CP: Weighty, smooth to the touch, seams are not prominent

Custom House (old ver. girl): Naturally more of a yellowy color to start with, smooth to the touch, has seam lines, a little on the lighter weight side

Serendipity: Heavy, sturdy feeling, also naturally yellower

Soom: Lighter weight, smooth, a little shinier than some of my other guys, seams are not very noticable

Souldoll: Fairly heavy, resin has more tooth to it, pale pink

AOD: Very sturdy feeling and fairly weighty. Very smooth, no seam lines, pale pink in color (I personally love the way he feels when I pick him up)

Bobobie: The lightest weight of all my dolls. Very smooth seamless resin. I have a dark tan and NS. The dark tan is a lovely rich chocolate color, the NS more pink

AR (Crystal Rose skin): Toothyier resin, very pale with rosey undertones, feels nice and sturdy

Unidoll (LE French resin): Heavy, smooth, with the lovely warm glow that French resin has. I've had him for close to two years now, and he has yellowed but still looks very nice--he's kind of a mellow goldy color. He started out more yellow naturally.

Elf Doll: Very smooth, but different from my AOD and Bobobies. Not my heaviest doll, but not a light weight either.

I don't have too much of a personal preference (as long as they hold up well). However, I am rather partial to my Unidoll, the color of my dark skin Bobobie, and the sturdy feel of my AOD.

14. IMO the best resins are Volks, Unoa and Bobobie. They all have a flexibility to the resin, and a kind of waxen sheen to it. Bobobie and Unoa lack the translucency of Volks though.

The worst resins imo are DOD and DiM. The resin is brittle and has a frosty quality to it I don't like, though I know a lot of people dislike shine on a doll.

I just received my Volks FCS girl, and it seems to me her resin is different... it seems in general to me that all the companies are moving away from the waxy resins and toward the matte brittle resins. I'm not sure if this is real or my paranoia?

It would be fun to come up with a Resin Quality Index, decide on a group of features or qualities about resin that can be graded, and to experiment on resins from different companies and different eras and have them all receive a score. It would help when considering whether a given doll is worth its cost. Any chemists among us? ^_~

Raven

15. My personal favorite has to be Volks, even when it yellows. I love the resin texture and I really like the FCS white. I think the color is just gorgeous.

16. I'm not sure if Fairyland have changed their resin in the last year or so but my Shushu elves have a very different texture to my MNF Woosoo (they're very smooth where as his resin's got more 'tooth' if that makes sense), he doesn't feel quite as substantial either, it's quite strange.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet but I'd say Dollshe resin is up there with Volks and Luts, the texture, the weight of it, the durability and colour (especially their tan, god I love their tan) are all fantastic, though I haven't had my boy long enough to really comment on yellowing.

17. I love Elfdoll resin, I don't mind the shiny quality. I also love Volks, and Supia is amazing. I have to say though hands down the most gorgeous resin I have ever seen is the White Skin doll I have from Kaye Wiggs. She is a handmade Mallory and is just smooth, weighty without being heavy, and lovely. She is the reason I had to have a NS Matilda.
      I also love Unidoll.
      The only doll I have that really yellowed is my white Narsha, she is French Resin, but since she is a "dead" character, it suits her.

18. Out of the dolls that I have (Abio Angel, CP, and Bluefairy) I really like the Bluefairy resin... it's a very nice texture and weight, but I just adore the colour. It sucks that nothing matches it, of course but it's such a lovely shade and it photographs beautifully~ <3

19. A question: is true that white pale resin yellowing more fast than normal skin? What's your experience? Do you notice that your pure white dolls yellowing more respect other normal skin's dolls?

20. Hmm, My Nobility Lie has no yellowing at all after a year and a couple months. Of course, he is kept out of direct sunlight for the most part and now kept in the closet. :sweat I would give it an 8

I love the Dollzone Resin! My fiancees is still beautiful after a year and not yellow! The yellow normal color skin of course is somewhat yellow to begin with. The pink normal is my favorite, such a pretty color! If you are picky on skin tone and do not like yellowish, make sure you specify either pink or yellow normal skin. Junky Spot never asked us what color we wanted, but sent us the pink ones both times we used them. The white is very nice as well, though it is a bit translucent and I do not like that. I like the texture and weight of it as well. Very smooth and not too heavy or light. More sturdy feeling than Bobobie. We have all colors except the tan at our house. I would give it a 9.

SoulCalibur33, I have not noticed my dolls yellowing, so I can't tell you. Our normal skin DZ and Nobilty are the oldest and show no signs. Our white DZ is too new to yellow.