1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The endless craving for a "new" BJD

Jun 23, 2015

1. i haven't even gotten my first doll yet and i already have three different characters i want dolls for! i kept looking at dolls and finding stories to go with them. what's weird is iv'e never been this creative in designing and creating characters.

2. I will always want and crave more dolls but having a severe lack of space, combined with the poor secondary market at present and the low resale prices, I have reached a hiatus. I have ten dolls with one currently on pre-order. Two of my dolls are awaiting creation in my wardrobe. My creative need for my next project has started to slow down. Over the last year I have become much more selective in my new purchases and take my time creating each new character.

I will never complete my collection but have managed to regain control and focus over what I really 'need' (for want of a better word) and what I would 'like'.

Sometimes I think that I would be helped if there was a bjd shop that I could go and window shop in, as I am sure that being able to handle dolls would give me the fix I need to hold a new sculpt, and then walk away :)

3. While I don't always want a new BJD, I have fun looking at different dolls, whether new releases or other owners' dolls in person or online. If I haven't bought a doll in a while (maybe a year or so) and have saved up money for another, I'll consider purchasing an additional doll. I think timing is important to me when it comes to buying/arrival--unless a doll comes with an event doll, I prefer that dolls arrive at vastly different times. I guess I feel like I can enjoy them better when they arrive far apart from one another. :)

4. I'm pretty happy with my current crew of dolls. There's a lot of work I still have planned for them. There are some without faceups so I feel like getting a new doll would just add to the pile of work. However, I'm always looking around. You just never know when that perfect sculpt will pop up. I still want a few dolls but it's not an immediate thing for me. This past year I've only brought home 1 doll. A few years ago I was bringing home a new doll every few months so It's kind of nice to slow down and enjoy the collection I have.

5. I've had the same BJD for about six years now and while I've had other types of doll to keep me occupied, I think I'll be getting another one soon! The only thing that stops me from craving is not knowing what I want next.

6. I've had one doll for about five years, now, and have only just recently gotten interested in owning more. So, the craving subsided but is building up again.
      One of the things I have trouble with is determining how long to wait/save before buying. Especially when I'm browsing and I see all the amazing Limiteds that are no longer for sale and never will be, I worry if I wait too long, the sculpts I want that are still available will be gone. Then it's an even longer waiting game (and a game of chance!) to find one secondhand. So, to avoid the longing for something I don't have, do I go ahead and get this other one that's still available?? My mind goes back and forth a lot.

7. yes I get this problem - I think it's more about making a commitment than anything, and being perfectionist - like not daring to get married incase you meet someone better next week! Inevitably if you commit to anything, you close the door on other possibilities, present or future, and may be stuck with something less than perfect. It's so hard to decide on a doll if funds are limited too - I like to keep my options open for as long as possible, but then I end up with nothing :?

8. I don't have doll cravings that often...which is good on my wallet, LOL. I'm extremely picky with sculpts and there's only maybe three I still adore after all these years, but haven't gotten yet. The minute I DO discover a sculpt I really like, I fall head over heels for it and can't stop looking up photos of it to feed my obsession, haha. I like to give it a month or two to see if I still truly like it. If I'm still in love, only then do I consider saving up for it.

9. I've got a bit of a shopping compulsion that I've mostly gotten under control, but I do tend to crave getting more dolls after finishing customization on the ones I have. I have enough plans now that will keep me busy for the next year or so.

10. I wouldn't say that I constantly want to have new dolls. But every time I buy a doll it's a fantastic feeling, the wait and the package tracking, the drive to the post office and of course the opening of the package!

But I would say that the good feeling doesn't come from just having a new doll. I think it comes from it being a doll that I really want and have a charcter for. :)

11. *nods-nods* I am feeling that urge...I can't steer myself away from BJD online shops! And everytime, it adds a longer list on my wish list...

12. I definitely crave more dolls since I only own one, but I don't feel the need to act on it immediately, and I don't have a desire to own a lot of dolls. More than that, I just have a strong craving to look at all kinds of BJDs, especially owned BJDs because I love seeing how the sculpt has become individualized and what creative things have been done with the doll. However, it's definitely fun to look for a sculpt that I might fall in love with while I'm at it.

13. I have absolutely no control when it comes to doll purchases. If I see a doll I really love, I MUST have it. This has resulted in about twenty dolls and 10 floating heads and totes and totes of wigs and clothes. I don't discriminate with size or color or company. I don't know why I cannot help myself as far as dolls go. In most other areas of my life, I have control and am organized and not indulgent. This one thing just has me by the wallet! I hate waiting for dolls to be made and them not arriving when they are scheduled. If a doll doesn't arrive soon enough I find myself searching for a preowned doll so I can have instant gratification. There, I 've confessed, but I will still probably buy those dolls I see that I really love. :(

14. I've done good, I've actually sold two of my dolls this year, but that doesn't ever quench the thirst that I get for a new doll every once in a while. I bought a doll today for Black Friday of all days. Oh well.

15. Pretty much always itching to add a new doll to my collection. I'm browsing every chance I get, even just at dolls other people have to see how they've designed them and the character they've given them. It's a weird conflicting feeling, to want but not being able to go forward to get anything x.x

16. The urge is strong! XD I have a little goat that needs a new faceup, a spider that needs a faceup and blushing (that has to wait until the weather warms up), a boy on the way...and yet I've still been hunting for the perfect sculpt to fit an oc character. >.> A sassy, moody fox girl with almost masculine features...gaaaaaaah. Between her and the sketchpad of characters I want to shell, the hunt never ends.

17. I have dolls without face ups, heads without bodies, and I still crave the new doll.

18. I definitely feel this way all the time. I love my current dolls, but I just want my collection to continue to grow. There's nothing like opening a new doll so I like to have that experience as often as I can ^^

19. I completely understand. I think it's just that rush of adrenaline because it's so new!

20. I found that at the beginning of my hobby, I stick with one doll company. Then all of sudden I start to aware other companies' and boom, the crave cannot be stopped. I m now constantly looking at new dolls and adding more variety to my collection. I even start to play like momokos and rurukos! The dolly love could last for a lifetime i can foresee!