1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The endless craving for a "new" BJD

Jun 23, 2015

1. Oh my word, I can't even begin to explain. I have such a thirst for new dolls but I am running into a problem where I REALLY want to buy a new doll, to feel the thrill of unwrapping it.

BUT I have no dolls I want. OTL I want very specific dolls and the ones I see now just don't fit my desires. It's grates at me to want a doll, aggressively saved up for it, only to to have my eyes and heart, be incapable of finding one.

2. Omg..yes I swore myself to stop at 8 dolls but find myself looking around for a new one.. love the waiting, making clothes, finding just the right shoes , wig and eyes... My daughter, also in this hobby, sighs and advice me to spend more time with the others.

3. I have this problem so badly whenever I get back into the hobby. If I'm away for a while it's usually fine, but the minute I'm back on DoA or flickr or something and looking at other people's dolls, it's all I can think about. Even with all the projects I still need to finish, it can be so hard to just focus on what I have instead of constantly buying new things. I've tried so many times to implement some sort of 'one in, one out' system so that I am not spending more than I should or overwhelming myself with dolls, but it's so hard to exercise that kind of self control.

4. I really didn't think I had this problem, but... I've recently really been wanting to stock up on SD heads. Thankfully, the two I actually have plans for both fit nicely on the same body, so that's good. But I've really gotta stay away from impulse marketplace purchases. (My KDF Yul was a total impulse purchase though, and I absolutely love him, so...)

5. I know, right? When I'm in the right (or maybe it's the wrong) mood, a stroll through the marketplace can be deadly to my budget.

6. I get a craving for the potential character that the doll will represent. My dolls are like little individual people and when they come into my home, their character is a part of my soul and interests. Like..not to get super existential lol but I look forward to getting that 'person' home and bonding with them and getting to know them.

7. I think because I'm so new to BJDs, I've been dealing with this a lot. The more I learn about dolls and doll companies, the more dolls I want to purchase! I was actually super happy when I checked DDE the other day and they didn't have the Little Monica sculpt I like best available. 8') No impulse layaway.

Right now I'm trying to plan the dolls I want most, so that I don't just get them and have no clue what to do with them!

8. I loooove the feeling of getting a new little resin angel to "develop", or create a character, personality, style etc for...
      I honestly partially fall in love with certain sculpts, partially with styles i just "neeed" to have a doll with ^^''

9. The craving is really bad for me, to be honest. I am trying to force myself to slow down, as I have a lot of dolls already. I would look at a sculpt and think, "hey, that'd make a great (insert OC, anime character, live action character, etc, etc, here)", then would think, "I got to HAVE that." Or I would see something that is "OMGoodness, that's a gorgeous doll, I just HAVE to HAVE it!"

But I need to slow down. I am running out of room. I have told myself that this last doll I have ordered last year has to be the last one for a while, but I am looking at the new Dollfie Dream BOY, coming out, and my resolve is already flip-flopping...

10. I have so much trouble with this... Generally if a doll is in the wait, I don't feel it at all, but as soon as it arrives inimmediatly start looking for something new. It's a horrible thing!

11. This is one of my fears on the hobby, But for now I haven't even got any dolls yet. So I'm not sure about the feeling or smell of a new resin. And I want that feeling so bad :)

12. I'm not averse to retail therapy, and I love having a project to work on, so this hobby is already proving quite dangerous. My second doll isn't even here yet, and I'm already eying my second and scoping out options for the third. Of course, I can only realistically handle a doll or two a year, so that's helping me apply the brakes. There's just too many good dolls floating around...

13. Sometimes you work so hard for something and you want it so badly for so long... when you get it, you're disappointed that you're not happier... then it feels like the wait and excitement of trying to get the doll is better than actually having it in your hands... then the hunt begins all over again when you want a new one. Or is it just me... xD Or maybe it's because I am such a compulsive buyer that I would plan to buy something, but last minute buy something else!

14. I'm currently waiting on a MK Cris, but I'm suddenly finding myself craving a Ringdoll Lucifer. Just the head, which I can switch with the Sol sculpt I have for Alex. See, I'm already able to justify getting the head alone! I don't need a floating head; I don't need a Lucifer. Not right now, at least...

:doh

It's like a disease, though. You can't just stop at one; you have to look for more. Picking out the next six, else seven, maybe even twenty to thirty dolls you could possibly desire. Since picking out MK Cris, I've seen; Ringdoll Lucifer, Myou Arthur, rediscovered Soom Hyperon and Dikadoll BaiXuan, Mystic Kids Milo, Akagi Tann, IOS Anarmonia... The list could go on and on, and on. Not that I'm going to buy all of these dolls; Anarmonia looks just a little too odd with that smirk, for me to feel comfortable having him around the house.

I guess it's also partly curiosity; seeing what else is out there, what others have done with their dolls. Call it 'inspiration', as opposed to 'craving another', and it won't seem so bad!

15. I used to feel that way about clothes and bags and so forth. It’s an endless cycle of buying things to fill a void within yourself. For me it was my depression doing this. Now I have my 4 angel girls and fulfilled my dream of owning a bjd! I love my 4 to pieces and I’m super fulfilled.

16. Oh god, when I got back into the hobby this hit me like a sack of bricks-- so I finally bit the bullet and ordered the doll bodies for the two floating heads I have. I'm anxiously waiting for them and can't wait for that new resin smell, to open a box for the first time its ever been opened. It's such a thrill!

17. I agree. I have personally lost my mind buying 10 dolls in one month. They are just so darn cute and irresistible. There is so many that I want in my collection old and new. Plus companies/artists are always coming up with new sculpts.

18. I'm so glad I'm not alone! I sat back today and realized that, over the last two months, I sold two dolls but bought 6. My collection got a complete overhaul. And yet I still can't stop looking at more! I do not know what is wrong with me.

19. I used to be like this but it's subsided with time. Partly because I think I've run out of space. Mostly because I've shelled most of the characters that I intend to shell. There's a couple more I want to get, but I don't feel that hard craving that leads to strict planning with my budget to fit them in asap. I'm content to get them later and work on the dolls I have already in the meantime.

I do get it though. At more than one point I was waiting on shipping notices for multiple dolls from multiple companies, and once I ordered four dolls from the same company all at the same time. While the bills were paid, and we had food on the table, my budget is glad those days are over!

20. I just got back into the hobby, and I've been feeling this a lot. Especially since there are a bunch of characters I've been wanting to shell for years and I finally have the means to do so. I at least try to limit myself to dolls that will fit in with my planned characters/stories, and I'm normally pretty good about not making huge expensive impulse purchases...but the craving is definitely there.