1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The endless craving for a "new" BJD

Jun 23, 2015

1. Wow...do I ever relate to this! Wholeheartedly! I was looking at my previous response to this thread about how I was happily nearing the end of my bjd collecting...and I had to laugh. Here I am 5 years after that, still every bit as excited about bringing home new characters as I ever was.:doh Like PinkBear, it seems to be all about the characters for me. I’ll think I’m done, and at this point I really should be considering I have 38 and I’m truly running out of room, but earlier this week I just found another one in the marketplace! When I saw her, I instantly “recognized” a character in her that I didn’t even know I was seriously considering...one of those vague fleeting ideas floating around in the back of your mind that you didn’t think you were all that serious about. And of course the moment I saw her, I suddenly knew her name, her style and her attachment to other dolls in my crew! I swear I am cursed by my own imagination! For me I doubt this obsession will ever truly end, and maybe that’s just fine as long as I can keep it within budget.:)

#161 PoeticSoul, Feb 21, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    2. It's funny; I'm always on the lookout for new dolls, but I just basically like to see what's there. Since I reshelled Chaeri last year I simply don't have the burning need for a new doll. She's absolute perfection. And I don't want a lot of dolls because one, I don't have room; two, I believe that a BJD should be special and quality is definitely preferable to quantity. That's just for me, ymmv.

#162 Emby Quinn, Feb 21, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    3. I don't have the urge anymore because I don't have money! :pout::(:...(

4. My first BJD has been a bit of a disappointment; I made some rookie mistakes and probably should have thought through my choice better as well oops
      So I don't really feel like I even have a doll because things keep going wrong. Hopefully once it's warmer and I can mod them I'll calm down before I spend too much but I've already ordered a second doll sooner than I told myself I was going to. And I'm already planning a third... And a fourth...
      I've actually been surprisingly better than usual with impulse buying but this is the most expensive hobby I've ever had so it seems all the more dramatic.

5. I don't really be so craving in buying a new doll at this moment, but if I'm ready for it, and it has option between new and old, it ought to be a new doll.
      I really really always be thrilling for the new doll, just think about the emotion when unwrapping the box, touch the doll, the smell of resin, the smell of leather from new shoes, and so on...
      But if it's a extreme limited edition that sold out already, I don't mind if it's not in the new condition, but I can accept used good in as good condition as it could be.

6. During my most active years in the hobby, I certainly felt this craving, not only for new dolls but also for buying new stuff for them, the thrill of pressing the buy button, of having a package coming home and tracking it down all along the way...
      I can't say I'm an impulse buyer, but I have had anxiety issues in the past related to collectionism and after my last doll purchase I started to feel something wasn't right so I decided to put any purchases on hold till I felt right about it again.
      Almost 4 years have passed since my last purchase and I'm glad to say I don't have that urge no more. Of course there are dolls in my wishlist that I would love to have, but I don't feel like I need them or that I have to purchase staff every now and then.

7. its true i feel like i am always craving a new doll. i have a whole wish list of dolls i just window shop at lately. its always so tempting to put something new in your cart

8. I would say I don’t crave a new doll exactly, but I’m obsessed with finding dolls. I have so many characters I’d like to shell that I’m constantly looking through the marketplace and finding new dolls to want. The waiting makes me antsy, but there is a thrill when that shipping notification come through!

9. I'm halfway between this feeling, and being satisfied with what I have. I feel like I'm ready to cool it down and not get too crazy craving more—and for the most part, I don't have a heavy need for too many more. I still, however, have a few more OCs and ideas I'd like to translate into resin form—a few of which are currently in production, and a couple more I have yet to bother with. I feel like eventually I will go and put in the orders for those ideas, but it's not this instantaneous I need to order this. It's more I'd love to get these ones to start working on them, but I can wait awhile before I go about ordering them kind of thing.

10. It's more like every time I say, "No more! You already have enough dolls..." that a new doll comes out that I really want from the company I really like. And I've been trying to avoid checking out other companies because it's just like a Pringles tube; you can't just have one. So here I am, years later, wanting to get a few wishlist items from my favorite company, eying a decent handful of dolls from another company, and trying my best to resist temptation from a third company that I already know that I want to get practically everything from. Omigawd, and this is why I'm poor. Hahahahahaha. Well, not really poor, but yeah. Hahahahaha.

11. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this craving! I try to curb a lot of impulse buying of a whole doll by getting lots of wigs and accessories. It feels like my current crew are "refreshed" if I change their look or their faceup. But it's hard to say no...I've got an impulse buy coming soon and I just finished another. I like having variety as well as seeing dolls that really embody a character I imagine or sometimes even an aesthetic I really appreciate. Trying to just appreciate from afar is probably what my new doll struggle will be.

12. I know this craving as well, as I am always on the constant look for new boys. However, in the meantime, another voice will persuade me to calm down and be careful about impulse buy, coz I know the time and energy I need spend on a new boy.
      I have one boy head in my shopping cart right now. But I put him on hold as currently I have 2 boys waiting to be completed. AS boy has been sent to faceup artist and I will wait and see if he fits my character setting. For my IOS boy, I only found his character a few days ago (I though I will never bond with him and even have him on the selling list.....). If everything goes with the plan, he will be sent to faceup in April.
      Besides, all the boys at home need desperately more new clothes. So difficult to buy clothes for big boys.....:doh

13. The craving never goes away for me. No matter how many I have, what my extra finances look like. etc. For me its always, The need to change, to add to my list, to find more of what I'm missing. And once I have it all, what's next?

14. I think in a way online shopping and particularly browsing second hand goods stimulates a sort of... hunter's instinct? It's just me, scouring the landscape for my prey and trying to have the skill (money) to take it down. I wonder if that's why I am more prone to spending time looking for new dolls than working on my current ones, even though ultimately the latter is more satisfying.