1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the "high" from buying new dolls

Oct 15, 2008

1. The high associated with "new resin" is quite thrilling and exciting. One can argue that it becomes rather addictive.

However,I find myself more and more enthralled with how easy it is to make a doll seem "new" or completely different by changing a few minor things. I've been messing around with face-ups and I realised part of the reason I had sort of been neglecting one of my dolls was simply because the face-up she had before made her seem rather sad and depressed. I guess I just didn't like surrounding myself with negative energy. However I enjoy seeing the semi-angry-smirky-pouty faces of my YOs now. I guess it just makes them look mischievious and tsundere.

In short, it's great to get new resin, but it's also great to change resin up a bit every once in awhile just to see what sort of new feelings you can get from it.

2. i definitely experience the new doll high. I love the feeling of having a new member of my doll family and all the exciting new things that come along with a new doll but that's only one part of the hobby to me.

I couldn't imagine being in this just because you like getting new dolls but not actually bonding with them and playing with them a lot.

I love receiving packages in general and it leads to a lot of my online shopping habits but i'm not going to just buy something simply so i can get it in the mail. I might buy more because i like the high but it's still stuff i want and will find useful. Same thing applies to getting new BJDs.

if someone truly only buys new dolls for the sake of getting a new doll then loses interest the day after and thinks only about new dolls then i find that sort of sad. :(

3. I love getting new stuff in general but I think most of us do. I go through alot of dolls but I'm not in the hobby for the "new doll high" but to find the dolls who are "just right" for me. I agree with LordNoir too - changing up a doll you have can be more amazing in many ways. Especially if you own a doll you adore, get them some new things, change them up and fall in love with them all over again as you learn more about the doll and what they're capable of pulling off.

4. actually, it's more of the saving up, deciding what mould for what character, and WHEN they arrive, that's the most "high" for me. while i do go on and on about when they're going to arrive, checking the tracking ever so often, i really dislike the wait. and it doesn't help that there's a lot of uncertainities with buying new dolls for me. (i don't have paypal, so buying the doll itself is actually somewhat of a pain in the ass, what's with having to ask my friends for help, and rushing to get the money to them etc, etc. feeling bad about asking them to pay for me first, in some cases, when time is urgent and i cant pass her the money *shall not rant on XD*). but when they ARRIVE :D oh yeah, i'm definitely thrilled as hell. and when i get them their actual eyes and wigs. and some random highs when they get new stuff. the thing is, i need to keep having something to look forward to. like the other time, i was so so so excited about gabby getting a new faceup. so actually, the high doesn't just come from BUYING dolls per se. but from progressing in the dolly character etc. :D

5. ...I thought I was one of the only people who found waiting a little stressful... Looking at the pictures and finding the perfect doll was lots of fun :), still, I am actually much happier having my boy home than anticipating his arrival.

6. Me, too. It's much more fun to have my girl here, to dress her up, to knit for her and just generally enjoy her. I look at other dolls, admire them, think they're cool, but when I see Marnie curled up in her very own rocking chair, looking so nice and friendly, I know I chose well and I am content.

7. I'm guilty of posting a lot while planning/waiting for a doll, posting a box opening and maybe a gallery post, and then NOTHING for a long time after that. But it's not from lack of interest! All of my dolls are works-in-progress. They typically arrive blank, bald, eyeless, and naked. So after the initial arrival, I tend to disappear because I want to wait until I make some progress on them to share them again. This is a slow going process because getting them to a level of completeness takes a lot of time and money.

As for a "high", I feel it when I order and then again when the doll arrives. But the waiting stresses me out!

8. I only have one doll as of right now, and I can already tell I'm spawning an addiction. I always told myself that it would just be one. This idea was quickly discarded as soon as I opened Lachrimae's box. It was this moment of pure bliss, really. I guess you consider it a "high". So I'm currently saving like a mad woman to get two more dolls.

9. Hmmm... I was really excited for my first doll, but after that not so much. I bought 5 dolls this year, and only 2 stayed with me. I'm more excited about deciding everything that goes with them. I'm so-so on actually buying them, and waiting for them.

10. I find the high is quickly replaced by the "Oh god I just spent so much money on another DOLL?!" guilt.

11. So true! :D

12. Yeah have to agree with this.

Though I find I by pass this when I buy for a friend.

13. The planning part is really fun. I don't know this first-hand, but I'm guessing you could compare it to having a kid. Plan out the room, the clothes, the names... I like that part.

I don't like the saving part; takes too much time, and it's such a risky time period. Something happens, and you're suddenly down $30 for some reason. I'm walking a fine line, trying to not do something to warrant a loss of cash.

I somewhat like the "put order in, then wait" part - only because it was my first doll, and even though Dollmore said 7-15 days, it was 7-15 days before my doll was shipped. So it's a bit nerve-wrecking due to the fact that the status says it wasn't shipped yet, and my concerned dad is pushing me for details on when the doll is going to get here - and trying to let him understand that no, they are reputable, and they didn't steal my money.

14. The high has become milder for me, I think largely because of layaways, long wait times, and sheer repetition. :sweat It is an addictive feeling for sure. Last year I would start to get twitchy if I hadn't done a box opening in a couple of months.

When I first got into the hobby, I was buying directly from the store, so the purchase and the box opening were only separated by about an hour (the train trip home). I still get a silly grin and cling to new dolls the first week or so, but it's not as tingly and crazy a feeling anymore. The flip side is that I've gotten better with the wait, which I think is a good bargain. I used to climb the walls with impatience . . . :sweat

15. I also enjoy getting caught up in the anticipation of a new doll. I think this part of the hobby we can all understand and empathize with regardless of what other parts of the hobby are our personal focus (photostories, faceups, putting the doll on the shelf to look pretty). I haven't purchased a new doll in over a year and henced haven't posted much on the boards. I still sew outfits for my resin kids, but I get deep personal satisfaction just from finishing the outfits that I don't feel the extra need to share so much. (I've also become lazy about taking photos.) So I think for me the one part I still can participate in fully with anyone in the community is finding that perfect sculpt and waiting for it to come home. I remember exactly what that rush feels like and I could see how it could become very addicting.

16. For me also the waiting part is the hardest thing in this hobby!!! Well ok saving uo is not better! Like someone said its pretty nice if you are saving up and creating a character in your mind and then buy things like clothes and wigs and eyes and then you order the doll itself.......then you have to wait and wait........but then if the doll arrives hopefully everything will work out as you created it in your mind ^^

17. I would have to say I love the ordering part, not a fan of the waiting part... the opening of the box is a lot of fun but the best part is being able to do things with the doll. Dress, change hair and eyes, give it a whole new look! :)

18. I have that high. It's alright till it gets caught up with you. Especially when one encounter's a horrible experience at a company that people otherwise would have had a good experience at. That completely turned it off but now I'm on a roll again.

19. I definitely get a high when I buy my dolls (one at home and another on her way), but then, I'm very new to this hobby.
      But with my doll at home, I also got highs when I have sewn her something she looks good in it! It's as good as buying!!! so I think, I will stay in this hobby for a very long time!!! I'm doomed! ;-)

20. It seems that a "high" does occur when you are finally deciding on a particular doll that you would like to add to your BJD fam. Especially one that is affordable, still "in stock" or a wonderful person here on DoA that lets you do a layaway. Waiting on a doll does seem fun at times. However, if the wait is too long it seems to get frustrating when you are ordering new.

If it is an adoption on a BJD from someone else - there is the excitement in knowing that once that last payment is done- that doll will be on their way to you. That is really a bonus on the adoption of beautiful dolls vs buying the limiteds or new dolls from BJD companies.