1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the "high" from buying new dolls

Oct 15, 2008

1. I don't often get that 'high' anymore, it's more a sense of relief when the doll arrives and I like it. I feel the pleasant anticipation when ordering a doll, but as soon as I know it's shipped, I reload EMS a hundred times a day. Arrivals are fantastic, but most of the time new dolls aren't perfect, and there's a sort of nervous antsy feeling until they are exactly what I want. (New clothes, mods, faceups, wiring, whatever it takes.) I'm happiest when they're done, when I can just delight in how perfect they are in every detail.

But I do enjoy browsing for new dolls, the time before actually buying one. Buying dolls is stressful but seeing all the new sculpts (or rediscovering old ones) is pure imagination, I like thinking what I'd do with different dolls. I do spend as much time looking at dolls online as I do looking at my own.

2. *raises hand* I'm guilty of that. I'll post a new doll a lot, then my photos and photostories kind of decline for that doll.

At first it's the excitement of something new, which is the "high" discussed in the OP. I do love the thrill of buying a doll, building the doll's personality and appearance, finding just the right wig, eyes, faceup, etc. When I get the doll, and when I finalize his/her appearance, I'm so excited I want to show him/her to the world. So I'll post lots of photos and blog posts about that doll.

But as time goes on, I get used to the doll being around. I still enjoy playing with the doll, posing it, changing outfits, maybe even taking some photos. But at that point, the initial thrill has worn off, evolved into something more comfortable and mellow. So I don't post as much of the doll after the beginning, but I still enjoy him or her being around.

So yeah... it's kind of like the thrill of new romance evolving into a happy companionship, but on a creative level instead of a romantic one. If that makes sense. :sweat

3. I second everything kateb said. I can be pretty stingy with my money. That + waiting for who-knows-how-long + unsure if I made the right decision = angst and ulcers. The people that get doll after doll (and still love them all) amaze me. My stomach would probably look like Swiss cheese. :sweat I guess the real "rush" started when EMS confirmed that my doll hit US soil. Now I get excited about making/hunting down new stuff for her. I'm delighted that she's finally starting to resemble the idea I have in my head.

And I don't post any pictures because 1) I don't really think people would care and 2) not much is going on. Right now she's sitting in her PJs on my shelf. I still try to play with her as much as possible. I just don't spam the internet about it.

4. Not Guilty! The longer the doll stays with me the more I love him/her. ~Gus

5. For me I think it's kindof a rush when I order a doll. Like when I actually click the "Buy" button. But I don't really enjoy the waiting period. I don't particularly have a problem with waiting, as I know that naturally something as intricate as these dolls is going to take time to make, but I don't really like it either. I do like planning for a doll, browsing for the appropriate wigs, eyes, clothes for them and buying some of that stuff. But the fun for me is when that doll actually gets here. There is nothing quite like getting that doll after all that time and knowing I get to see that doll everyday, play with it, change it's clothes, take pictures of it, do it's makeup, and really make it into MY doll. :D

6. Well, for me the whole waiting part is the most annoying part :sweat

I hate choosing the right one, I hate waiting so long, I hate it when the German post needs too long for driving the Dolls from the Seller to me...and I hate the whole "OMG, what's when he doesn't look like in the photos? What is, when I hate him? He horrible pose? Seamlines bigger and deeper than the Grand Canyon? NOOOOO!" thing before the box-opening.

For me the greatest part is the first real photoshooting, the first cuddle, taking their clothes the first time on.

Of course I'm nervos and excited when I actually click the "Send" Button and my Doll is official ordered...but the real "high" starts when I get the package from the post-man XD

7. I've found my doll photo-posting correlates more with my free time than with the arrival (and anticipation) of new dolls. Even when I get a new doll, it may not get much attention at all for quite some a while if I don't have the time to devote to taking and putting up pictures. Also, I tend to avoid posting pictures of my dolls when they're not yet "complete" - or at least what I consider presentable.

Beyond that, my enthusiasm for one doll (or group of dolls) or another tends to surge and then flag depending on my mood and what I've been doing in my writing. But it's always constrained by my free time (or lack thereof).

8. I like getting new dolls, but I hate the wait! I want them to be here so I can find the right personality for em, dress them and take pics! I really miss taking pics. My camera is broken at the moment. But the wait is boring. I just play with my others. I've had a great time with my puki these past few weeks waiting on a doll. She was a gift from my hubbie, and I'm glad I finally made a room just for her! It's all Hello Kitty stuff! Fun to do!

9. I love the thrill of a new doll...even the waiting is fantastic! Mainly because I cheer myself up by thinking they're making MY doll.XD Although it doesn't apply for dolls I've gotten from other owners, I like waiting for the postman to ring the doorbell with my package (maybe not the customs fees...), but it's all part of the thrill for me.
      And opening the box is so thrilling! I find it fun to learn about my new doll- the way they pose, look, little details that make them unique etc.

Of course the best part is when they actually get home, but I try to make the best of it until they get here.

10. Seconding this. Sometimes I really want to take pictures and spam people with my growing tribe but time dictates otherwise. Add into that not having internet at home, not having the space indoors for shoots so having to rely on the weather, being sadly out of practice with my SLR and the long list of other stuff above 'dolly fun' on my to-do list and pretty pics rarely happen.

Yes I do get a high from new arrivals, I love planning who's next, I love discovering new characters when they arrive, that doesn't mean I get bored with them once they're here, if anything I'm so taken up with playing with them that I don't get around to taking pictures.

11. I'm sure waiting for your doll is the worst part because I'm waiting for my first two dolls and I hate that it's taking so long. :(

12. Add me to the pile of 'do not want'. *L* I HATE that sick feeling I get after sending a lot of money through paypal... I learned the hard way that this is not always an exact science. Being that I am not a wealthy person, I really despair of having so much love for dolls that are SO expensive. So no, I don't get a high from the purchase or the wait.

My high comes entirely from character design. :) I love the research and the creativity, and searching out/stumbling upon things that are "so perfect for X!!!" I also get a HUGE high from handling other people's dolls; namely helping them bring their beloved character into a resin shell. Thats why I do commissions work, cause there's nothing like bringing a new little 'person' to life, regardless of whether or not that person stays in my house.

13. I do enjoy the search for the right mold and the right accessories for a new doll- like others have mentioned, however, I do not so much fancy the ordering process, and much less the waiting period (which is just doubled or even tripled given my country's efficiency in postal matters... ). It feels as if I'd not purchased a thing, and yet I'm much poorer and I worry about it- how, when, and in how many pieces will it get here? (I'm paranoid, I know. XD)

Once it's here, however, I enjoy it greatly. I love taking it out of the box and looking at him/her for the first time, and I enjoy everything afterward, trying outfits, eyes, wigs... finding them a personality or tweaking whatever was ready for them, styling, sewing, whatever comes! And once they're 'finished', I still enjoy them greatly.

So no, I don't think I enjoy the 'high' except for taking them out of the boxes for the first time. :P

14. Hi Zagzagael, I edited my original post to (hopefully) remove anything that could possibly be construed as judgmental or implying that there is a right/wrong way to enjoy the BJD hobby. Thanks for your input.

15. I love your post. But I didn't feel annoyance when I was reading through that blog; it was more disappointment if anything. My problem is that I am artistically challenged (more on that in a yet to be created thread) and I so enjoy seeing what people do with their dolls because it gives me ideas and inspiration for what to do with my own.

I understand that lots of folks want to keep their day-to-day lives with their dolly families private and that's totally cool. But when someone does feel inclined to post about what they do with them and how they dress them and personalize them and photograph them, I can honestly say that I have never found it boring.

No one I've encountered in here strikes me as boring at all. I suspect that all of us here share certain characteristics-rich inner lives and vivid imaginations among others, and there is nothing yawn-inducing about that!

16. If you've worked to make something uniquely your own, it must be irritating to see your ideas poached like that. I willingly admit that I love looking at what others have done because it does give me good ideas and lets me see if I am really in love with a certain look or not, but I'm trying hard to create my own version of what I see. Right now I'm smitten with Soom's September sold-out monthly doll (she's a fairy; can't remember her name offhand) and it did give me some ideas for a look for my Syl but I'm going to create it my own way and just use the Soom doll as sort of a muse. I hope that's not what you mean by stealing ideas.

There's that saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I think there's a definite difference between being inspired by someone else's concept versus out-and-out copying it.

17. i think there are a lot of people who do this. they buy and buy and then once that have it, they have no use for it and want more and/or sell on what they have. it is fun to get new stuff in the mail, that's why ebay is so addictive :lol:

for me, waiting for it in the mail was the worst part. i found it stressful and the days slowed down and it felt like i was stuck in limbo.

18. I was on a high from having bought my first doll when I ordered the second one. Buying Rodion was stress-free and he arrived within days. My second doll was kidnapped by customs and I had to pay a fee so now I don't have highs from doll-buying, it's more of a nail-biting time between buying and arrival*_*

19. I don't really know if I can truly express much of the waiting process, since it only took my boy a few days to get here. However, I can relate to the force that takes over when you are carefully opening the doll's package and unbinding them from the bubble wrap. You want to rip it to pieces, but still make sure to be careful when taking it off. I can't wait to order my baby boy as he is in adult form. The wait, the arrival, it makes my heart skip just thinking about how much fun that all will be. But I still think that his being in my hands is the most fulfilling part.

When I had my current baby in my hands I just trembled with glee. I had wanted to get him for some time, and was so happy when I could actually touch him. New, buffed resin, tight squeaky joints, eyes that I had to remove the second I opened his head. >,< It's all too awesome. But I get that way I get anything new for him. Even if it's a temp tattoo from a vending machine for $0.50. It's all around happiness for me. I never got to customize my things prior. Not on a physical object. I love that about these little guys. It's just too great! ^0^

20. See, this is sort of me. I've been interested in bjds on a light-level for a couple of years, but I've gone and gotten the first doll for my friend, not for me.

Personally? I'm so much an 'anticipation' person versus a 'reality' person that oftentimes an event like a movie or an outing is less exciting than all the time leading up to it, planning it and waiting for it. There have been times when I've talked about something and planned about it for weeks...and then didn't go at all, and was perfectly fine with it. :sweat

BUT I couple my anticipation thing with, er, a lack of real desire to get a lot of stuff for myself. The doll I'm buying is for a friend. I know a couple of dolls I'd love-love to have, but the next two on my list are also for friends, not for me.

So, I like anticipation, a LOT, and I really like giving to others rather than getting for myself, LOL! I don't know where I fit in here, somedays. :? I suspect this means I will buy a couple more dolls, giving me the anticipation rush of presenting them, which almost certainly will be special.

Yeah, as I read back on this, I am totally weird! :doh

.hlp