1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the "high" from buying new dolls

Oct 15, 2008

1. I may be the only one but between deciding on a doll and actually having the doll arrive is not a fun time for me. I find joy in making characters and the real fun for me is taking that bare mold and making a boy I adore out if it.

2. Yes, there is soooo much "HIGH" from securing a doll.

But then there is more "HIGH" when a doll finally come together. I get "HIGH" every time they get a new outfit and make funny faces at me

3. I can't believe I just now stumbled upon this thread. >_O I LOVE the high of buying dolls. I can't get enough. Most of my anticipation comes from seeing that mold and pining over it and it takes me so long to even make the purchase.. I think, because I am so addicted to the process more than the concept. ^__^

4. I love both the buying and the having. I do go through the high when I buy one where I want to buy more and more things for them....this time I fell victim to the high and bought a doll and while I was still thrilling I ordered a head and started saving for the body and buying things for both the new ones >__<

But the high went to my two current dolls too and I finally fixed my boy's pants and tomorrow I'm excited to get making them all something new. I think I'm most excited about the putting together...I love making things so having a blank doll to work on excites me. My latest one was more than just a faceup to get perfect too and now I'm beyond thrilled to be getting my head! Its going to have a lot of modding and I keep seeing heads and dolls I want to buy and play with now >__< I'll settle for just making clothes for now!

5. I'm with the 'I hate waiting' crowd, I'm afraid. It's not that I'm impatient... but I have to say that I found the wait for my first (and probably only <3) girl to be incredibly stressful. I was so, so nervous about being able to bond with her... to connect with her, to find and be able to get on with her personality... I was worried that something- someone!- my dad bought for me as a very special, with-me-for-life eighteenth birthday present would end up being a huge disappointment and a waste.

In fact, it took about a month to really bond with her, and that only happened once I edited her faceup, unstrung, coated, sueded, restrung and totally changed her eyes and wig. Before then she really was little more than another object; some days I could hardly bear to look at her because I felt so let-down.

I suppose the lesson I've learnt from that is always to order without a faceup. Oh- and to stick to a standard body size in future, too- clothes really do help the bonding process!

6. oh gosh...I don't normally buy dolls for myself..but I recently bought a yuu who is in the post right now. It was TERRIFYING for me to press the buy it now button...a friend actually forced my hand down as she passed me staring at the listing. It took days to pluck up the courage as I felt it was so extravagant.
      but doll accessories...I get very excited about buying wigs, clothes and eyes and think..gosh these are the ones ...then I am over them and back to buy more....

7. Ooh yeah, I must add, I'm not impatient and "Ugh why aren't they making her QUICKER HURRY UPPPP", I literally just worried and worried and worried until she arrived. I was desperate that she hadn't broken in transit (which she had) and desperate that I'd bond with her once she arrived.

8. I came across a blog last night wherein the author had entry after entry about the dolls she was thinking of buying, in the process of buying, waiting for, etc. She would post a pic of the brand new doll and then...nothing.

I'm guilty of doing the above. Spammed pictures of DM Asha, Pado amd KDF Litchi in the past year. The planning is fun, as it gives me the opportunity to edit, edit and edit without spending money, until I finally get the doll's concept perfect. And I've just (finally) ordered the KDF Litchi. I confess that I've been going around telling my friends, "I've just ordered my doll!", and feeling uber happy about it.

I've also wondered about the 'domestic life' part. Before buying, during the waiting period, you would be thinking of all the fun things you could do with your doll. But look at my DZ Fox now; he lies next to my bed under a cloth, and I touch him only ocasionally. I tell myself that I'll be playing with him for real once I get him looking 'perfect' (i.e. after I dye him and give him a faceup). Hopefully, it'll be different for my Litchi.

9. I think planning is a lot of fun =P Especially during the wait time, it's nice to plan out your doll to perfection, especially as you know it's on the way.

As for waiting, the concept of waiting is a lot more exciting to me :/ Like i'm all "Whooo it's that awesome time where you WAIT for your doll and the excitement builds etc.!" and then once it's there i'm like "DOLL PRZ!"

I've only ever had to wait for 2 dolls but yeah x3

I dooo get excited for packages though ;D For doll accessories and clothes and stuff as well. When I know something's been shipped there's always the run-home-and-see-if-it's-there x3

10. For me, I am really excited when I have ordered my doll untill the moment of arrival. Then I am really uber-happy. After that, I work on making the doll become the personality I have in mind.
      And after that, I am not always busy with making pictures of clothes. I do shoots very rare, because I have so much other things in mind I want to do as well. So I might look like someone who doesn't do much with their dolls after they have arrived, but in my mind I am always thinking about them, think about new outfits or ideas for shoots and such. :)

11. the box arivals PWN

12. It's pretty much the same way for me too. Right now, I'm working on what I want my doll to be and having a fun time with that. I'm not sure yet which direction I want to take her, so I'm going to have try several things until I find one that sticks.

I admit to loving the high I got from ordering her and waiting for her arrival but I'm having more fun now with making her mine.

13. I love the waiting time. I love the anticipation of hitting that 'check-out' button. I love drawing all of it out as long as I can. :3 I agree with the few that have stated the fondness for planning. I sooo agree. I love planning everything from the doll itself, the the new persona that will fill it (or vice versa), the clothing, the eyes, the wig and .. of course.. The face-up.

Yesterday was my bday and I was shocked to have not gotten any of the dolly stuff I asked for. :( But on the bright side, my fiance is going to allow me a small shopping spree for my dolly goodies.

Which leads me to, the planning I am currently doing. I am currently in the throws of passion of planning my next 2-3 dolls (and the possible sale of one of the ones I currently have). Two of these lovelies are currently with me in head form. :3 So I am researching resin matches for bodies as well as wigs/eyes/clothing. I am loving this.

14. For me, the period when my money leaves my bank account, until the time the doll box arrives in my hands...

is possibly the most stressful and unenjoyable part of doll ownership for me.

My favorite part is getting the doll and creating the character. I find that often, a mold that I thought would be one thing (sweet, shy, devious, etc) turns out to express a totally different personality upon arrival...

and THAT is the surprise/event that gives me the most delight in doll ownership.

15. I find the time between clicking buy and the doll arriving to be unenjoyable and stressfull. For me the high comes from completing the doll.

16. Waiting for anything for long makes me nervous. Course my family doesn't help with the remarks that "oh, you paid overseas, you'll be lucky to ever see such and such" (The rest of my family is almost unnaturally paranoid about everything lately). But all the obstacles in the way make me super antsy and I'm not usually happy, especially with expensive parcels, until it's in my hands. Even then, I didn't get a real high from the box opening, in fact I tried to ignore the freshly delivered box for a bit while I finished other things I was doing at that moment until my boyfriend told me to open it already.
      And I'm not in an area where UPS or USPS can deliver easily without the strong possibility of it being stolen. (FedEx doesn't care, they've left hundreds of dollars of software on my doorstep, I was home, they didn't bother to knock) So I hate getting that piece of paper that says I have to wait a day to go and pick it up.
      I'm much much happier with my girl sitting on my desk then I was when I was waiting on her arrival. Hence, I don't think I'll be getting an entire herd of dolls.

(Strangely, this thread reminds me of some relationship columns o.O; )

17. I love the anticipation and I have to admit that I am a little bit of a dolly bore on my LJ. I only recently took a picture of my original five dolls and managed to put it online before Rupert (SDC Kurt) arrived and everyone on my flist is dying to see him, but it takes forever to process my RAW files on my computer it puts me off trying, so there are only a few pictures of my dolls online, even though I obsess over them constantly. It drives my online friends bonkers.

The waiting game is fun, but not too long :D The best wait was for Zee, who arrived three days after I bought him from the Marketplace and he's giving me chills at the moment because I just secured the perfect outfit for his character and he is really coming together at the moment. Considering both of my boys were 'whim dolls' that I bought because I saw them and wanted them, they are a lot more complete than any of the girls, which is strange because I waited longer for the girls and thought I spent more time on their characterization.

I am a bit guilty of having the wait be more exciting than the doll. Out of necessity Cynthia (Souldoll Hye) and Rupert are boxed and I can't play with them for a while which makes me less excited about them, but at the same time I know they are hidden away and I can play with them when the time is right, which makes it exciting too. Its like there is an extra wait involved with them, which makes it frustrating and fun at the same time.

18. I don't get any excitement from a new doll until they are here. It's weird I never get excited when I order one or maybe I've just gotten used to it? I get more excited about picking out their clothes and planning their personality.

19. Wasn't there a study somewhere that stated that shopping releases those 'feel good' endorphins we love so much? ;) But I digress...

I don't doubt that there's a 'high' to buying that new doll. The excitement, the anticipation and all those good feelings - especially being able to spend that much money on yourself! Sure, some of that high may dissapear as you're waiting. For some, it dissapears right after the credit card gets charged! For some it only comes when the doll has finally arrived.

I could also understand that people may buy new dolls just in pursuit of that 'new doll' high. Shopping addiction, for example, entails people who constantly buy things to experience the 'high' of spending money and often times these purchases never leave their bags - so the concept the OP stated definitly exists, in all areas.

For some people, the anticipation of 'having' outweighs the 'having' itself.

Myself, it's ALL a high for me :lol:
      I'm also, however, one of those people that don't post pictures very often. It's just a personal preference. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy them! :)

20. On topic; no I don't like waiting , I do like the box moment ;D I don't like paying either LOL but who does hehe !!! I do love shopping for that one right doll, I have a rare taste.

this is actually very worrisome, does this not fall under the stealing of a character ? I mean, I'm buying my first doll and he is going to represent a character of my own, from a story I'v been working on for years. What happens then when that character suddenly pops up everywhere ? 'I'm sorry its just a doll that looks like yours ' wth ???