1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the "high" from buying new dolls

Oct 15, 2008

1. I think I have been spending too much time in this thread, :) I just purchased (albeit second hand) a body for my floating head. Anxiously awaiting shipping information and even more anxious to see if the resin match will be good enough!! :love

2. Aw man, talking about the high of getting a new doll ._.
      I just ordered my very first doll last thursday and today I decided the next one (or third one) was going to be a Puki Pipi. Well, guess what happens.
      A member of a Dutch BJD forum puts her on sale. We already agreed on the price and everything ._.
      I'm pathetic and weak DDD:

:...(

But I can't wait to have her :D

3. I don't trust mailmen/parcel carriers (the UPS guy didn't even bother to ring the doorbell when he dropped Saif off... the only way he could have done it worse was if he lobbed the box over our tall black gate... which some mailmen did do in the past with large packages, thank god no one ever sends us porcelain or china...) so waiting for the doll drives me insane.

>_> Holding them and playing with them is far more fun than buying and waiting to me.

4. I'm going through a "buying high" right now after purchasing my first BJD, and plan to take plenty of pics when she arrives. But I also have plans for her, especially in December where I plan on taking her on 2 trips and holding a tree trimming photoshoot. I plan on making her two jackets and a scarf, and buying her a hat and another wig.

@Snow~ lol I don't blame you. If I were to come across a listing for an Iplehouse Gentle Cocori, either here or on eBay, I'd buy her in a heartbeat, even though my DZ Nina hasn't even arrived yet:sweat

5. As I'll say for awhile, I have no dolls, and none on the way, but maybe someday soon if I'm that lucky.

Anyways, I think that it's got to be very exciting waiting for something you've been wanting for a while or even if it was a spur of the moment kind of purchase. I think that when someone is in anxiety and in waiting they tend to grow even more anxious and that's a rush that's something all in it's own. =]

I know I'll be anxious when I buy my first doll someday. =x

6. At the moment I also need to purchase a head or two for practicing my airbrushing on... It's so hard not to get caught up in that and go for the other things I am going to be needing/wanting-- boots, etc.

7. YES!!! I wring my hands and hide my face in shame and confess to my shoes: YES.

I have been a puppy. I catch a whiff of a doll and sell all the others to pay for her and then WHOOSH off I go and do it again.

But now I really am trying to be more thoughtful and focused. I beetle my brow like Shirley Temple lecturing her grandfather and say to myself, "Merangel...don't be such a puppy!"

I hope it works.

8. Yeah, that is definitely the sense I got from reading the blog that I referred to in my original post and it was that idea that prompted me to start this thread. I know there are lots of people who are not into showing off their dolls or posting pics of them.

I really came away from that blog with the impression that the blogger was way more into the thrill of buying the doll and waiting for it to arrive than they were with the thrill of actual ownership.

9. I exprienced the "high of buying and waiting" with my 4th doll. He's a DZ tan mo. I've fell in love with mo's face mold when I first saw one in a friend's picture. It was a tan mo, elegant and with the "personality" I like. However, I'm not sure if I can handle and bond with a MSD. Later on, after I received my first tanned doll from DZ, I loved the tan color to death and impulsively ordered the tanned mo. I was happy and dreamed of holding the tiny little guy, taking him around my city for photography, dressing him up like a little fairy.....When I finally got him, oh my, I was very dissapointed because I could not custermize him to my expectation. I'm still trying to, but unfortunatly I have a size bias too. I'm not sure if I had way too high expectation for him and thus I'm disappointed. But, I'm pretty sure that it's better to do more research and think carefully if you really like the mold, and to estimate if you can make the doll to live up to your expectation.

10. I really get all excited while planning my doll, shopping around for options in eyes and wigs and clothes, then finally deciding who to order from and clicking that button, making that payment. I recently did that with two Pukis. The second I hit the payment button, though, I get horrible buyer's remorse that doesn't go away until the dolls arrive and I put them together and love how they end up.

11. Since I only bought one doll, and that was a while ago, I can't remember if that was the most exciting part of the process for me. Probably, though.

I actually remember not liking the waiting too much, and worrying that something would happen or he would get lost in the mail. I wanted him home, darnit! D:

12. I like the 'window shopping' part before ordering, looking at so many beautiful dolls. I like deciding on eye colour and wig. But I dislike ordering (sending all that money across the world for something I haven't even seen in person). I loathe the wait. When I open the box and everything is undamaged and complete, *then* I can start to enjoy the doll.

I'm currently getting a little high from designing clothes. The sewing's kinda tedious, but the planning is fun.

So I guess I'm in the "love looking/planning, hate buying/waiting, love owning" crowd.

13. I LOVE the buying/waiting process. It's such an exciting period of time.
      BUT I don't like it more than having the dolls and making them "mine". The waiting and buying is just an extra thing that makes it all even better I think.

For me it has been hard to find the perfect molds for my boys. I have their chars, but somehow they've been almost impossible to find- therefore I've had to let several dolls go again. Not that I enjoyed the buying more, but because it was important in my search for the (IMO) "perfect boys".
      It think maybe that's what often happens...
      Anyway I've found my boys now and can't wait to get MSC so I can get them the perfect face up to go with their molds <3

14. I ain't gonna lie: I love new dollies. I also hate waiting for them. But my favorite part is modding-sewing-painting and then taking photos to make into photostories. Too bad I don't have as much time to do that as I really want to. I love making them mine. Even though I love a new doll, I like having the dolls more than getting a new one.

15. Buying a new doll always gives me a sort of high, I get so excited! And I'm super excited when my dolly arrives, my mom is too. We jump up and down and squeal like idiots, which makes my dog jump around and bark too. But for me, it doesn't end there. Once I get a new doll, I'm so exited to try different clothes and wigs on them, take pictures, and design and make clothes especially for them. I make up stories too. And each time I do, I get that same type of high as when I was buying them. But I don't always post pictures of the things I'm doing with them, so I guess people might get the idea that I just buy a bunch of dolls and then there's nothing after that. It's not true though. In the past couple of months, I've made 4-6 new outfits for my dolls, and I'm currently working on another one. And I've got this whole display in mind for Christmas.... In fact, in some ways I think I get more excited about doing stuff like this than I do when I buy a new doll. Because the only reason I'm excited about buying a new doll is that I have so many plans in mind for them, and I can't wait to get started!

16. I have to say the high I get is at its highest point when I'm looking for the new doll and when he's shipped!

17. The wait time on these dolls is fairly long, so even an impulse buy can end up taking a month or more to fulfill. That leaves plenty of time to get worked-up emotionally over the new doll. I've posted plenty of my own ramblings about character development, wardrobe planning, worries and so on while waiting for a shipping notice. It's even worse when it's an expensive and much-anticipated limited like the Soom Monthly dolls, or an incredibly popular new sculpt like Puki. Then you have a long thread full of people high on their own dolly anticipation, feeding yours! Really, though, as much fun as the speculation and anticipation is, I find the greater satisfaction in ownership--perhaps I'm too prone to anxiety to truly enjoy the shopping and the waiting. The best moment to me is walking into a meetup with my newest acquisition and having people cluster around taking pictures or asking to hold my doll. It's much like having a reading of a new poem/story and hearing people applaud and compliment my work, which is one of my favorite highs of all!

EDIT: I don't post pictures of my dolls because I don't have a working digital camera. The photos of my Sard I posted a while ago were very kindly taken and uploaded by a dear friend. I have hopes, though, that my technological handicap will change very soon!

18. I keep saying........NO MORE DOLLS! But I look and find and order and wait and sometimes wait and wait and wait and then it's the SMELL OF RESIN when the box is open, my fix for 3 weeks! hahahaha

19. I think I agree with Brightfires, on the first page. It isn't the order process in itself that's the most exciting (rather, it tends to be stressful for me :sweat ), but the moment you realize your doll has arrived safely, with no defects. Then...the fun of personalizing begins :D
      I think that actually taking care of your doll and giving it character is the most exciting part ^_^

20. I can deff see what your saying! I always seem to get a little "thrill" when I make the order for the new doll, pay for it and wait for it to come in! It's really exciting actually! and the Initial box opening is always so much fun!

I also get the thrill when I get them new things (wigs and eyes especially) it's a lot of fun! and a change is always good! :D