1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the "high" from buying new dolls

Oct 15, 2008

1. I haven't even been able to buy my first BJD yet, and I still am able to find myself floating just by planning what I will do: what pictures to take, what to sew, wigs, eyes, even stockpiling material for when I get him. I've had a lot of fun setting up a huge room for him on top of a super long bookshelf, and even wallpapered the place! just the sheer anticipation is already getting me! Hopefully I will have enough saved up to get him soon!

2. I am definitely one of those people who gets a thrill out of buying a new doll. Honestly, I love buying shiny, new, expensive things in general, which is a desire that I try to curb to fit my budget, with varying success. In any case, I've found on numerous occasions that once the rush wears off, the doll that I've ordered isn't quite what I wanted after all. Luckily, there's a second-hand market for these things.

Regardless, the thrill of purchasing a new doll doesn't come close to working on, and coming closer to "completing" an older one. Sewing, doing face-ups, modding, etc. are all more enjoyable to me. Unfortunately, time and motivation seem scarcer than money most of the time, so I think I end up taking the New Doll rout more often as a second-best substitute. The daydreams about the new character, their potential wig, eyes, wardrobe, etc. feel almost like the "high" that I associate with more tangible outlets of creativity.

But they aren't the same, and I'm slowly learning to tell the difference.

(My two cents :sweat)

3. I actually don't like the process of picking and ordering and waiting so much as I like that moment when you're tearing the top of the box off and unwrapping your beauty. After that it's all golden- when Yurii got home I just couldn't wait to open him up and put him together, I haven't finished him yet- he still needs a new faceup, and new clothes, but when he's done he shall be picspammed all over three different websites including DoA ^^

I'll admit, there's a certain thrill that accompanies clicking the 'order' button and knowing that the doll you've fantasized about for ages is about to be yours officially. And I like getting packages and mail as much as anyone, but for me the real thrill is in getting my baby out of his box and feeling that character in my head become completely solid.

I love owing more then the act of buying- especially when there's hundreds and hundreds of dollars being swished around!

4. I think if I had the money, I could get a little bit purchase-happy. This winter has been really hard for me emotionally, and I'll admit that buying a body for my puki was more of a feel-good decision than a tooootally financially responsible decision (on the other hand, the Japanese government did give me back some of the taxes I'd paid, almost as much as the body cost...). But I am also quite careful about the dolls I choose, and I really don't think I'll ever, um, flip them the way some people do.

Where I really get the whole high-of-something-new thing is in crafting! :sweat
      Seriously, sometimes I will have been working on a knitting project for about two days and I'll be dreaming of the next one already, picking out the yarn, thinking about what stitches I'll use...it's so exciting to get it on the needles, but so often by the time I'm halfway through it's barely better than forced drudgery, as I'm already dreaming about the next shiny thing in my newest beautiful yarn.

5. Sometimes I think the ordering/buying/waiting proces is a bit stressfull. (for me)
      I don't have much fun waiting at my Kid Delf Ani at the moment. =_= Well I hope she comes home some day...

I'm the happiest when my doll arrives home!
      Order a doll is also exciting off course.

And the most joyfull thing for me is to think characters out. How they will look, what I will customize about them, what style of clothes they will wear.
      I love to see them finished in newly made clothes.
      My dolls are never finished. They always need new clothes or a new face-up once in a while.

6. I HATE HATE HATE!!!!! the ordering/waiting process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is NOT at ALL fun to me! I am extremely impatient... I'm the one who pays double on ebay to 'buy it now'.... so... getting the dolls is the best part for me! and then playing with them; setting up their rooms, naming them, getting clothes /toys..... but that's me!

7. I fully admit, I enjoy The Hunt very, very much. That goes for all my hobbies, not just BJD's.

And yes, there is a certain thrill when I finally acquire whatever it is I've been searching for, whether it's the doll itself, clothing, wigs, and so on. Luckily, I also know when to chill out, because the hunt is rather dangerous to my wallet.

Naturally, I also enjoy having the dolls I've longed for, and I don't ONLY enjoy the rush of purchasing. ;)

8. I definitely get a high from buying a new doll but the wait is excruciating. The high returns when the box actually gets here & I open it to gaze upon my new beauty for the first time.

But then comes the real fun, picking out eyes, wig, clothes, accessories & posing it along with other dolls in a little scene. A lot of my joy comes not only from playing but simply looking at my dolls & imagining little scenerios about them.

9. I definitely get a huge high from buying new dolls, and the process of searching, buying, planning, waiting is a considerable part of what makes the hobby fun to me.

There can be many reasons to place a lot of emphasis on the aquisition: some like to hunt for the rare, limited dolls, and since it can be so hard to find them (and be able to afford them), buying them is a small personal triumph. So is buying a non-limited doll for most of us, come to think of it, since very few people can afford to just shell out that amount of money on a whim. It's always a rush to reach a goal that you've worked for for a long time.

I think some just like the feeling that a new doll is like a blank canvas -- the possibilities are endless.

For some, it might actually be consumerism (the constant need for shiny new things), which is the only reason I find problematic, because it can become a very unhealthy addiction.

My own personal (and hopefully harmless) addiction is finding and buying pre-loved unpopular dolls. It isn't something I've planned this way, and I do own a few more popular sculpts, but I can't deny that I get the biggest kick out of the "rescue cases".

Out of my 14 dolls, I consider 9 unpopular (very few owners on DoA that I know of other than myself), and 6 of those extremely unpopular (no or just one or two other owners).

I love hunting for the dolls that nobody else is interested in, the ones that sit on Ebay without a single bid. It's a thrill to find one that appeals to me. (I won't buy a doll just because nobody else wants it. There are dozens of popular sculpts that I find cute or pretty, but there are also dozens of unpopular ones, and I just find it more interesting to pick those.)

I got a lot of my dolls at very good prices this way, but that's not what I get my kick out of, really. It's more like a challenge to myself -- will I be able to turn this doll into something I'll love?

It's fun to plan wig, eyes, faceup and clothing style while I wait.

Does the actual ownership pale next to the thrill of the hunt and aquisition, though?

In a few cases, it did. But those were the dolls that I eventually found new homes for.

For the others, it's easily as much fun to me to try new eyes, wigs, clothes, faceups until I've got them "just right" than it was to find and get them. There is always something to do -- trying my hand at sewing, re-doing worn faceups... It never gets boring.

Maybe it's not as exciting as the high of buying them was, but I enjoy it all the same.

10. I get a high from receiving and waiting for a doll, not researching and deciding which one to order. All of them are so beautiful that I would make myself sick knowing I only saved enough for one of them. My room mate could almost strangle me for asking her which is better looking.

11. For me about any part of getting a BJD is great!!

That is the reason why I got my first one and will continue getting them becasue I have never felt so happy :D

The planning is great and finding everything that really goes with the characters is really fun!!!
      I can really put to life what as been in my head for so many years >w<

The saving is quite boring though... it just makes me think how I just cannot seem to keep my money.... spending it for things I could go without XP
      I try to make a budget and keep in track so it helps me a little.... but I still need practise XD

The waiting is so fun and horrible at the same time XP
      It is so trilling to finally have it that I just cannot seem to open the box XD
      I wait and then when I am ready I open it, take pictures and after that I just want to stay in my little world and just look at it....
      But I know some people like to see so I post it wherever I can and then I customize :3

The best part for me is really getting it and I am sure that when he gets the good wig, his body and everything, I will be even more happy :D

12. Agreed. X3

Especially the part about saving. That's the worst time. Closely followed by waiting. :|

13. I love doing research on my dolls...taking my time to find the perfect sculpt and perfect body for the character I've imagined. So I really enjoy the 'window shopping' aspect and the thrill of the hunt for that perfect example. The saving, ordering, and waiting bit I could certainly do without...no joy there at all. It just seems more like a painful "process" I must endure. But once they arrive, I get totally caught up in the thrill of creation. I take my time opening the box until my busy household is finally quiet and I can totally focus on the doll. I keep them on my worktable for days or weeks, slowly savoring the process of face-up and body blushing. I take my time making them wigs or searching for the perfect one to buy. I seek out the most perfect eyes. I make their outfits. This is the part of BJD collecting that I adore...and I savor every slow, methodical and exciting moment of it like a fine wine whose flavor develops over time. Needless to say, doing so develops a deep bond between me and my doll, so failure to bond has never been an issue for me.

14. I'm going to be very honest here, I have two msd dolls which sit here by my bed which do not get played with very often at all.

For the first doll it was a wild obsession, always researching was fun, waiting to new things planning what I would do with her etc. Then once she'd arrived I played around with wigs/clothes taking them on and off for a week or so, took some pictures, then that was it. The high had reached it's low point.

But i wanted to experience that high again, so I convinced myself it was because I just didn't meld with her, so i did some more research and convinced myself I needed a limited msd, and so I got an even rarer doll, the waiting time and arrival was amazing! Then the same thing..It just didn't meld.

So here I am convincing myself i need an SD size doll and maybe that will fix it ;p We'll see what happens.

15. This is a very interesting thread for me, although or because I have not even my first doll.
      I have been in several projects during the last years, es there were building a dollhouse, creating clothes for a 13" corolle doll, planning the perfect garden and so on.
      It was always the same: I was totally exited and had a fixation on the topic, and after a while it calmed down, not every project was even finished, and I started the next one.
      Now I'm obsessedby having a BJD and I really don't know, when or where it will end (and as always I hope, it will last :)).

16. Katrin, I know exactly how you feel. I get some new idea in my head, usually a hobby, and I get completely fixated on it. In the past, I've blown a LOT of money on things that followed this formula, and I've only kept up with a handful of them.

These days, I make a promise to myself when I find a new fascination: research it until you know all the ins-and-outs, and if you're still interested in it 2-3 months later, then invest some money in it. It's saved me a lot of grief and money. :lol:

17. Quote from first post: She would post a pic of the brand new doll and then...nothing. I kept reading to see what she was actually going to DO with them, even if it had just been reselling them.

Maybe she just left that part of things out of the blog.

My entry:
      People might think that from me to, since I have quite a few dolls, but very seldom post pics. In the mean time I spend a lot of time with them, making thinkgs for them, posing them. I am just absolutely unable to capture the beauty I see before me in a picture.

18. Yes. I get that buying/waiting 'high'. :doh I've definitely bought too many dolls too fast, some being impulse buys from when I was feeling down and needed a lift...I feel best when I have a doll paid for and am waiting, I think. But...if the wait is too long...I feel the need to order another in hopes that it comes sooner...I am quickly running out of money. lol BUT, what I love the MOST is having the doll in my arms. The feeling of looove~ I have for them, the overflowing of ideas for them as I stare into their eyes and...and...:aheartbea :lol: If I were less careful with them, I'd want to pick all 5 up at once and just squeeeeze them in a giant hug sometimes. However...just yesterday, heck, even right now, I want to open a new tab and order a doll from Junkyspot just to get a new one. And quick!...Then I can squee and dance around with my current resins in anticipation of a new family member. It's a vicious cycle..:( Resisting that 'high' is a difficult thing sometimes.

19. I feel the "high" even when I've not bought a doll yet-- but I am having monies that I am free to spend, I am researching, looking, planning... Oh yes, it's probably the most exciting:D I also have that high when I am buying dolly clothes, wigs... I love doing shopping:) The high I feel just after buying a new doll is rather fast to pass... After paying for my doll, I can only wait and hope for no custom fees D:

20. I am starting a new thrill at this moment ordering a doll for me and one for my friend.

La! I'm aflutter. Wish I could fold space and time and get them here tomorrow!