1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the "high" from buying new dolls

Oct 15, 2008

1. I get a pretty big high from actually buying the doll. But it's like the high a bad kid gets. I wonder if I'm going to get any ramifications from buying (such as not being able to afford a layaway payment and losing the whole doll and my money, or coming up short on a check and needing the money already spent on a doll).

But I also don't post much about my dolls after I initially get them. Mostly because I don't really take many pictures of them, and i just love playing with them.

2. I like the way you described it as being like the high a kid gets from being bad! LOL! And I think there are quite a few people who get their main enjoyment from playing with their dolls, instead of posting about them and/or photographing them.

3. Well the ordering and waiting is anything but fun for me. I'm sure when they finally get here, it will be an alltime high but I would never do this for the excitement of waiting. There is no excitement here for me, only sheer frustration and anxiety.
      That won't stop me though if these dolls are even half of what I think they are (and I've kept my expectations quite low just in case). I will still get a few more in the future. But I wouldn't say I do it for the high. I do it because I just have to have these particular dolls :)

4. I do love the waiting game, I love preparing for a doll's arrival, but the last week really sucks. It drags on so much and I can't stand that part of the wait.

I'm getting to a point now where I have to really, really consider the impact of what I buy and when. I am terrible at saving money, and pretty good at spending it as soon as I have it, so training myself to save is a good thing. Training myself to let go of dolls I do very little with is also a good thing because if they can give someone else the joy I got from them.

5. I really like the hunt for new dolls too. I like just looking (for hours on end sometimes) and makeing up lists about which ones I want. When I was very small I used to go through the department store catalogs and put red circles around everything I wanted (clothes, toys, bedding, everything). Knowing that I would not get *everything* but daydreaming about what I would do when/if I got them. I love looking at photos of the dolls they are always so beautiful, and I know that I can't afford them all, so I do have a list that I keep of Oh I want to buy X, Y, Z. I stick dolls, wigs, eyes, clothes, shoes, etc onto the list and look at it sometimes and it makes me happy. Then about once a year I usually splurge and get a doll from my list. While the doll is in production/transit I begin acquiring what I will need for them, clothes, eyes, wigs, and in the case of the one I ordered a few weeks ago, I splurged lastnight and bought a dollhouse for her (since she is a tiny, and my first tiny at that). It's fun planning it all out. How she will look, how her room will be decorated, etc. And I already have at least 3 mini's and 2 tinies that I am thinking of buying after I get this doll (but it will be probably next year before I buy them, but I really do continuously look and think about which dolls I want.)

But that's not all. I love the actual playing with dolls once they arrive. I do my faceups myself (even though I'm not very good, I enjoy it :)). I love taking the dolls outside into nature such as the woods, beach, nature trails, hiking, camping, parks, etc and take many many photos. I have over 200 photos of my dolls in my photobucket account. However this part of the hobby is a seasonal one for me as I live in northwestern PA and it is really cold here in the winter. I hate snow/ice/cold -- so in the winter months I kinda go into a dolly lull where I dont do much with my dolls - the lighting is too bad in this house to do indoor shoots. Although I'm moving in a few weeks so maybe the new apartment will have better lighting I hope :). But my dolls sit on a shelf right by my bed where I look at them every day. -- I've sorta failed to bond with one of them, but I think I just can not bond with male dolls, so I'm trying to rehome him, but I kinda feel a bit of sadness about it, even though I think he is not right for me, there is some lingering attachment as he was one of my first dolls and my first male doll. However, I've spent 2 and a half years now with Demi (icon), and everytime I look at her I realize how much I love her, everybit as much as when she first arrived and she is in my opinion so much prettier in person than on her dollzone stock photos. She makes me really happy and I get intense enjoyment from just looking at her and carrying her around with me. My obitsu gretel is also another doll which I love actually **owning** She poses so well and is so much fun to play with. She gets more photo time and play time than any of my other dolls, she is amazing.

So for me, it's a bit of both. I love getting new dolls, but I am also still very much in love with (most) of my old dolls as well :) I'm thinking I am really going to enjoy my tiny girl as finding things for her is going to be so much easier and cheaper than the minis and sd sized dolls. I've got about a 3 week wait right now, and I've already planned out almost everything that I want for her once she arrives. I'm hoping I will not be disappointed and also hoping I am right and will really like the Yo-sd sized dolls. So I am currently in a doll high right now :) I love the new doll feeling hehe

6. I really enjoyed choosing, ordering, waiting/anticipating... But I wouldn't say I liked it more than actual ownership. I guess some people have less time to take pictures and post, but still love the "owning" part nonetheless.

7. I like paying for my dolls and knowing that they will be mine, but I hate, hate, hate waiting for them. For me the biggest high is the moment of their arrival and knowing that they are finally with me. Even when they have been living with me for a long time I just have to look at them to feel that same rush of emotion that I felt when they arrived.

8. The high I get starts a few days before they get here... Just knowing the thing will be in my hands soon. I get like a greedy kid. xDD

When my doll finally comes I go absoluetly crazy and everything, and that when the real, full on high comes on. It's just so exciting! >3<;;

9. I don&#8217;t know how this goes at other (country specific) forums, but at the Dutch forum I&#8217;m at, you can get a lot of attention with a new doll if you want it. If you keep other members updated on your dolly purchase (ordered, shipped, held by customs, released by customs, arrived) you get a lot of "oooh"s and "aaah"s a long side encouragements and congratulations where needed. Box opening pictures are usually well commented on and so are photo threads that introduce a new doll with the right face-up, eyes, wig and clothes.

Some people then move on to the next phase of dolly ownership: dress up, photo stories, photo shoots, watching TV together, cuddling, just looking at the doll, make clothes, practise face-ups, shop for clothes and other stuff, etc. They do this publicly by sharing pictures or stories or they keep it more to themselves. It turned out there are a lot more BJD collectors in my country than I thought, but those people have not joined a Dutch BJD forum. I don't know what they do with their dolls.

Others want to relive that (long) moment of attention and compassion. They buy a new doll or even sell the doll they have to pay for a new doll. You can get even more attention when you get the latest, hottest, rarest, limited or most coveted doll mold.
      For some having/getting something new to show to others and to try a few things/looks with the new doll with before selling it again is what keeps them hooked to the hobby.

But even among my fellow collectors who keep their dolls and regularly update on what they do with them there&#8217;s a consensus on that doll companies must put something in their resin. The smell of fresh resin is addictive! ;) And it disappears after a few weeks! D:
      Haven&#8217;t caught anyone at a meeting asking if they could sniff at a new doll, though. XD

10. Personally, I could see myself doing just that.

I've been posting on DoA quite a bit since I've ordered my first doll. However, I may or may not keep posting as much as do once I get my doll pretty much because I'll be spending more time playing with her.

I get rather attached to my toys so the longer I have them, the more I tend to feel that way. That said, I really don't see myself as ever being the type to sell one doll for another.

When I actually paid for my doll, I got sort of a high for my accomplishment. I'm bad at saving up for expensive things, so actually achieving such a purchase really made me proud of myself.

Based on this wait for my first doll, I really don't like how long of a wait it's been. The first few weeks were fun as I spent time looking for eyes, fabric, wigs, etc. but now that's it's been close to two months with a package being who knows where for the past two weeks (it's been shipped from Korea, that's all that I know), the wait past five weeks has not been enjoyable.

That said, the process of looking for a doll is fun, as well as buying stuff for them and actually receiving it. The wait is just....ugh.

11. I was just thinking about this the other day! Buying a new doll (filling out my payment information and then clicking that awful "pay now" button) is definitely an exhilarating high. After I order my doll though, I tend to talk about it for a day or two and then forget about it until it actually arrives. The 2nd "high" of a new doll for me is the box opening.

Thereafter, my highs come from the pleasure I feel when my dolls inspire me to sew something really nifty, or after an especially good photoshoot. =)

12. Well I'm the person who stares at the add to cart button....
      weeks before I can purchase the doll in question.

*haves a break, losing this battle in the showdown of ultimate staring contests*

So when I can finally click that button and beat him, showing who is boss, I get so proud at myself!
      Then the victory dance and rolling around like the winner I am makes me feel...
      almost.. almost... no! DEFINANTLY high!
      So. Yeah, I get high!
      And muisje is right! *does the Holly dance for Muisje*

*continues staring at that awfull button on the limhwa site* Soon! SOON!!! SOOOON!!!!

13. What you mentioned in your post was pretty much what I was getting at with my thread idea. I think that there are some who get sort of addicted to the feeling they get and possibly the attention they receive when they order a new doll, are waiting for it to arrive, obtaining clothes and other accessories, etc, especially if it's a new, hot or coveted mold. I was curious as to how often that happens and why it happens. It's definitely not the way I enjoy the hobby so I was curious to hear from others about their experiences with the new doll "high."

14. I also think there is a high. My roommate and I both are doll collectors so when either one of us order a doll or doll clothes or accessories...there is a high for both of us. I make and sell clothes here on doa and that is a high too. Right now we are both waiting for dolls and clothes so the butterflies in the stomach feeling when we are waiting for the mailman is too much to bare. We both work full time, and we have a standing agreement that when we get home if there is a package slip the first one home goes and gets it and calls the other so they know that it has arrived. It is a great feeling...and dangerous at the same time. Once the feeling is gone..you have the new doll feeling...then you want the fix so you order some more then you end up with 25 dolls in the house and no where for them to sit. But it isn't going to stop me....I will still buy dolls.

15. I enjoy the waiting process, as frustrating as it is. There is certainly a high after ordering a doll, and getting them. My high after getting my Spinel is slowly starting to wear off now. Especially since my Juli got a new wig and I've fallen in love with her pretty self all over again.

I think the most fun part for me is photographing them, developing their characters, doing faceups, taking pictures of new outfits, and things like that. I'm always taking pictures of them, especially since the weather is getting nicer. More photo ops! :D

For me, it really is showing them off online. If I can't show them off, it just feels like they're sitting around collecting dust. They beg to be played with and photographed. :3 It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't take pictures of them all the time.

16. I have to agree with skybluepink.

Right now I'm waiting on 2 dolls. The payment was confirmed on Thursday, so now is the hairpulling, teeth grinding, nail biting, check the mail every 5 minutes... wait.

I hate that part.

my favorite part is when I can dress them up, take photos of them, and come up with new looks. I think the most exciting moment for me is commissioning a really awesome outfit, and turning them into someone new, dressing them up to fit my mood, to express myself in a creative way... or better yet, dressing them up as my favorite anime character, or as a Samurai.

17. I'm afraid I love the hunt/quest as well. I like acquiring rare dolls and LE molds. I like it almost more than the having of the doll! Luckily I know this about myself and try to buy with caution, KNOWING that if it isn't limited it's not going to hold my attention. I know, I'm a terrible person...

For some reason though the wait for a doll to arrive doesn't really bother me. I don't care what order I'm in if the company has a shipping list. I don't care if it's late- I waited patiently 4 or so months for two tan Latis when half the waiting thread was ready to give up and sell the doll on arrival. As long as it's a reputable company I don't mind waiting months. Even after getting shipping notices I don't track the package online.

The only one I swat bullets over was Kurumi, and she only came from Chicago or something.

18. I guess I get really excited planning about stuff.
      For me I get excited because I usually purchase items for my doll before hand so when him arrives his look will be complete? :)
      I've always been excited about shopping anyways XD
      But the best part for me is receiving the doll because he is finally home :whitetruffle

19. I have a high dolly turnover rate...mostly because I love seeing what's in the picture...but when I get the doll I'm really disappointed (even with user pics).

I didn't like the Puki Pipi sculpt...but there was a good deal in the Marketplace and my plan was to rehome the faceplates...

Well that was a bust because I'm in LOVE with my Pipi...she's gorgeous in WS but I never would have thought it.

I have two incoming dolls and two and a half for sale on the Marketplace...and yes...one plan is for a new doll (chocolate Puki...been wishing forever).

But oh I do love the anticipation of it all...it can be addicting...and it's horrible when you don't wind up bonding with a doll you've been waiting for.

20. I find Muisje's analysis very subtle and accurate. I notice the same phenomenon on French forums : you've got more answers by introducing a new doll than by simply putting new pics of an old one. Maybe it explains the "high" from bying new doll, as Landlocked Mermaid named this feeling ^^

I can't say I dislike the waiting part when I buy a new doll. But my favorite part is the moment I customise it!