1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Importance of Naming

Jul 19, 2011

1. I'm not one for giving a detailed background and assigning a character to my dolls, so names don't have much importance to me, really~
      I name all my dolls with short, simple names that I like (as it may be, they're all Asian - Japanese and Korean), because they're easier for me to remember than the model names most of the time, and I need my dolls to have names given by me in order for them to be truly mine. Some names are made so that they fit the doll's "personality", some are just random~

2. doll names are very important!!! they give ure doll character and style!!!one should go by instinct when it comes to doll names and one can even create ones own name:)

3. I wouldn't be comfortable either with using names that I have considered naming my future kids, it would just be weird. I really can't stand common names for precious things so it would have to be a unique name that really speaks to me- yet something I wouldn't name a pet or child

4. My fiance and I (we collect our dolls together) always name our dolls before buying them. All our dolls have an animal associated with them and that comes into play alot. For example, Ternero is one of my planned dolls and his animal is a bull. Ternero means calf in Spanish. Lapilli is our OT dragon. Lapilli is a type of volcanic rock and Lapilli the doll comes from a volcano. But there are a few, like Errol and Beau, who have those names just because we liked them.
      Naming means alot for the doll's character and it's fun searching for the right one! I think it would take alot of the joy out of doll collecting if you picked a name at random or just kept the sculpt name.

5. I am into fantasy and sci fi. I try to go with names that not only fit their personalities, but also that have to deal with magical fantasy or sci fi. Yuki is named after a Manga Charachter, and Sylvanna is Dungeons and Dragons Elvan name. I generated Sylvanna from an elvan nam generator. Pretty cool huh? lol

6. My favored dolls all have names and the rest just get to keep their sculpt name.

7. I name in advance most of the time, I love naming dolls, it really brings them to life for me. I have a little list of potential names for dolls =)

8. I thought this over for a really long time.
      I remembered something rather recently that kind of shocked me.
      When I was really young, I had an American Girl Bitty Baby that I adored and took everywhere with me. I couldn't for the life of me remember what I named it, and that's because, I remember because of a conversation, I never gave it a name or a gender. But I still loved it just as much.
      So my dolls may be getting names, but I'm not as worried about it as before. Their sculpt names (Tania and Miyu) are really pretty on their own, though.

9. Well I am saving for my first doll. I have a character of her in my mind and some names that just came to mind and also looked at some name generators looking for a list of names I believe would suite her. THe lsit holds six names currently.

Once I get her out of the box I plan on giving her the name that first comes to mind from the list. I like naming character for RP, DnD, characters for stories. Names of children is not something I really think about. Luckily I really liek all kinds of names so they don't seem to over lap and i have been thinking about a common story for all my dolls so I would not want to reuse names.

10. When you give a name to you doll, you also give her/him new soul, life and reality.

11. I won't name my dolls until I get them in my hands. I've always felt like, they'll tell you the name that they want!

I went through name after name with my little girl, until finally I said one out loud and she just seemed to "beam" about it!

12. I didn't change the name of my doll (minimee Sephiroth). I love him and our characters are very similar, so I don't want to change anything. Bur I can call him Sef, General or something like that )

13. I give name to my dolls and it's very important for me because this is a part of their character, spirit..
      at the begining ... I had the name first and I created the look, background ... after.
      Now it's the contrary .. I need to see the doll first ... to think about her story , and after : I decide about her name

14. This is interesting because I was just thinking about that today. I wanted to give my girl more of a story and background, found her a last names and everything and then I was thinking about how much I love her first name. I also love picking out names and already have one picked for if I have a boy, but what if I had a girl? (this is waay down the line in the future lol) and thought Audrey would be a great name for a kid. I too thought it would be weird to pick the same name I used for a doll as I would for a child, but maybe by then it wouldn't matter as much? If it's the perfect name you'd want, you should use it ^^

In a nut shell, I have officially put Audrey on the (small) list of names I love for children. :)

15. I have nothing to do while waiting for my dolls.. so I start thinking names for them...
      I am not good at choosing names.. so I think that will take me a while too ^^a

16. I don't name my dolls either. Funny, when my son was young, I used to name his stuffed animals, the dogs, our cats, stray cats, my dolls... but now I don't. Maybe because I don't "play" with them? I change their clothes, set them up, then stand back and admire them. To me bjd's are SOOOOOo super fragile, I am afraid to handle them ---> What if something happened to her beautiful face-up?? THEN what would I do??? :(

17. Many of my dolls had names before they were dolls, but many of them come to me and I just...... know.... if they work or not. I had a boy doll arrive in April, and his name is April because of it, and it just WORKS for hi for some reason. Very recently - I usually hate this kind of thing - I thought the name of the sculpt of a doll (Iplehouse Elimia) was so fitting that I'm planning on keeping a variation of it (Emily) as her name if I get her. Another funny name thing, I never name dolls after people but if they have the same name it's not that weird. I named my first doll Ian, and after naming him, I thought to myself how weird it would be if I ever had a boyfriend named Ian, because I'd have to call him something else, I could never rename the doll! My first (and current) boyfriend's name is Ian, but luckily for me he already came with a nickname! WHEW.

18. I think names are very important, and I like giving names for anything, because if you give something a name, it can be more and more important and special for you - I believe. So of course, I gave name for my first doll, Nina. :)
      When I was a child (okay, now I am also, but when I was a younger child xD) I always went to a shopping centre in my city. There was a game room, and I found there a game automat- it was Tekken! I fell in love with a blond, blue-eyed girl character called Nina (Nina Williams), and because of this beautiful girl, I made my first character. I was maybe about 9-10 years old, but since then, I always wanted to make my Nina character. I saw the Tekken film of course, but my Nina is so different, than that Nina!:,D Just their appearance is very-very similar. Not the same of course, but similar (the blond hair and blue eyes, and the fighting sports are the same:D).

So that's why my doll's name is Nina, because she is my first character ever, and I love tell her her name!:D

19. One of the dolls I have is actually named after a character of mine. Originally, he belonged to one of my best friends. She was pissed off at him because he was giving her a hard time. So, I told her that if she ever wanted to sell him I'd take him because he had the perfect face for one of my characters, Erin. She eventually sold him to me and he worked out great. Plus, his face is so cute I won't ever wipe it unless something tragic happens to it.

Same situation happened with another one of her dolls which I grabbed up. This time, he wasn't named after a character. I stared at him one day and a name popped into mind, Aodhfionn (Ae-fin). It just sort of stuck though his look is pissing me off because he keeps changing it, though his name remains. I haven't come up with names for two other dolls I have which is pissing me off. I really need to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

Names are super important to me and sometimes they just...come to mind and other times the dolls end up perfect for characters I already have.

20. Wow, naming...I'm a FREAK over names. When I first ordered my girl, I drove my friends, neighbors, coworkers, and family CRAZY trying to come up with the perfect name. I narrowed it down to a handful that I really liked and thought I would pick from those once I met her. Well she arrived, and of course, NONE of the names fit her. It drove me nuts. I would actually ASK her what her name was lol. "What is your name??? Please just tell me!" But of course she remained quiet. Then a name popped into my head. It was the name of a good friends little girl and I'd liked the name from the first time I heard it. Thus my doll was named Ember.

Still not sure it was the "right" name, I asked the previous owner (whom I've now become friends with) what she called her. Her name in her first life was Bella. So then I called her Bella Ember.

Then, one day I was chatting online and shared pictures of my girl with her new wig and someone made the comment that she looked like the character in the movie Brave. So I looked her up and sure enough she did, and THAT name seemed to fit her... ALMOST. It's Merida. But instead of pronouncing it
      Meri-DUH, I spelled it Meridae... (Meri-day)
      Then of course all beings in my household have my maiden name so I had to tack Safire on the end.

PHew... My doll is now Bella Ember Meridae Safire. Doll one naming- COMPLETE :-)