1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The inevitability of Doll Hordes

Jul 10, 2007

1. My friend who started off hating dolls has conceded defeat. Last night she selected a DOD Petsha as the doll she wants, selected a name, and a personality type.:)

The brood increases.

2. Lol same happened with me I showed my one friend first because we have charaters together then we both got one.
      Our other 3 friends were iffy about Bjds but then they started to grow on them. The next thing Kitsune gets one for herself then her twin sister Rayne, then our very last friend Jed gets one for herself. :)
      So now all 4 of my friends has there own Bjd family. Hehehe

3. Haha, yes, resistance is futile! I came across a post of mine saying I only wanted three! :lol: And here I am with five, picking up a sixth today, and waiting for a seventh to be shipped out! :doh *_* :lol:

When some of my friends said they were going to get these...well...creepy things, I had to look into it. If they were interested it couldn't be all that bad right? Riiiight??? (Wrong! Says my checking account! XD )

And yes, I even live with someone who can't stand the mere meantion of dolls. But others who had felt the same way slowly came to realize how enamoured I am with them. I think because I liked them, people like my Mom realized it and grew to like them too. :)

Plus, they are made of some kinda crazy drug, I tell ya! :lol: (kidding of course!)

4. What spamsama said; "resistance is futile". :sweat

5. It's very simple, resin is addictive. It's a well known fact that the inhalation of resin fumes creates an aura of pleasure & an intense craving for more. Unlike most addictive substances though the pleasure increases with each new exposure & the cumulative effect causes the addict to revel in altered states of conciousness wherein the little resin people speak to them. With massive exposure the addict himself becomes addictive, ie. those around said person will also begin to experience pleasure in their presence & then develop the craving for resin themselves.

Me? I have an addictive personality but knowing this about myself, I'd tried to be good. I fought the desire for over a year even with repeated exposure. I thought perhaps I could control it by just getting my fix from a friend's dolls at our monthly meeting but alas, it eventually proved too strong for my weak will. Now I'm hopelessly addicted & there really IS a horde living here. And I'm so bad that my addict friend & joined forces to present "programs" to other doll collectors & thereby infect them as well. I'm happy/ashamed to admit that it's working. Yep, the resin crowd is growing around here. "Hey little girl, wanna hold my dolly?" <evil laughter...>

6. LOL my best friend doesn't really like them. She doesn't think they're creepy, but she thinks the people who collect them are rather strange. ><;;

Gwydion, I love your post. The description of the addiction is so hilarious.

I know I have an obsessive personality, so if I'm going to partake in a hobby I have to go the whole nine yards. For me, a newbie to BJD's, this means either find and buy a doll for each of my characters, creating a hoard, or spend all my resources on one precious doll.

I'm hoping it'll turn out to be the latter, but I have heard they tend to exponentially increase. ^__^

7. Yes! I so agree! These dolls DO create hordes! Here's my story:

I bought my El in... oh... in 2005 I think, and a bunch of my friends really liked him. Now 5 of those friends have dolls of their own (the friends include Shinigami, KoMiyavi, Kayke, and Mattalik). And KoMiyavi has grown her own horde! She's got (to my knowledge) 2 Mini Fees, a Kid Delf, Bambicrony Vin... or Gun... can't remember which, a CP Harang, and a CP Juri 2006.

I feel like some kind of dolly-converter. @__@ It's crazy!

8. I'd known about dolls for a few years before i finally decided to look for one i wanted to own. I was introduced to them by a friend and honestly, i found them creepy back then xD

But anyway i showed the doll i wanted to another friend and put it onto my Livejournal. That other friend now has 3 (and a half) dolls of her own, the other has 2 dolls, another has one doll and everyone else is either saving for a doll or planning on buying one.

The Disease of Dolls.

9. Not having much luck creating a resin loving croud around me (most of my friends dont have the money or wish to buy something like this). IM contenting myself with a resin army/horde of my own instead. I told myself id be happy with just one (umm...yeah right). I got Lilith and a few weeks later i was like 'Shes lonely, i need another'
      In comes Ninde (celestyn), i see a Devil hana (omg i need her) so now i have three.

Unfortunatly my E-An and Devil hana have very loud voices, Lilith wants a Ducan to play with and Katie wants some playmates of her own! That takes me up2 5 planned dolls at the least. Count in that i want a Dolkot Leaf and a male elf doll (not decided who yet) i will have a horde by the end of next year!

10. Everyone that I've introduced Heavenlea to seems to get this glazed, Oh-My-God-I-Want-One gleam in their eyes. My mother is infatuated with her, my older sister (who is 52) is crazy about all of the shoes I have for my doll, and my coworkers, the one time I've taken Heavenlea to work, are entranced and still make a point of asking about her. It's crazy. It's voodoo dollie magic, for sure.

I thought I just wanted one, but I'm working towards the third and I see no end in sight.

11. I am not as fortunate..as I don't have any one around me that is into these dolls..so I come here and a few other forums to get the doll horde atmosphere..and talk about dolls.

12. I know!

My best friend bought one, then I got one, then she got another, and suddenly we discover an old friend has three, and we find more through DoA, and suddenly I have three and my best friend has five, and my roommate has decided to save up for one, and... wow.

13. BJD's are addictive! I started with 2, and now I have four, and will be ordering my 5th in the spring. I got one of my friends hooked and her first doll just shipped 2 days ago. My other friend fell in love with my tinies and will be getting her own in the next few months. I also hooked another friend who will be orfering her MiniFee Soo in December. And I have one other friend who is getting really into them too. Soon we will have an entire army!!

14. Its like my friend said,'you cant have just one.'
      She was right x.x (plans to own 4 dolls 2MsDs, 1 SD, 1 PF)xD
      I also somehow got my sisters to want one too. My little sister is beggining me to get PF yoko (as well as my mom x.x xD) and my older sister wants to get one, and make it look like her.
      I think I'm the only one in my area that owns a BJD, but my friend from school likes them, and wants to customize it to look like herself.
      BJD = my drug ( a relativly safe drug xD)

15. MWA HA! My boyfriend was not interested before, but now he has more dolls than I do!

16. Friends and forums aid in the enabling of doll hordes! I think I'd have fewer dolls without the internet... but then my friends would just get me all crazy and I'd still have dolls... So, short of going off the internet and locking the doors and never seeing anyone, I think some doll hordes are just doomed to happen! *_*

17. I fully blame a friend of mine for my ordering a doll, but it's certainly not her fault my brood expanded into three almost immediately. :)

It's certainly a growing crowd of people here that are ordering dollfies. They've gotten a lot of exposure at the local anime con, and people are falling in love with them there. Last year, there were three dolls sitting at an art table at the con. This year, there were FOUR TABLES. So in one year, the popularity of dollfies has exploded!

18. even though i have not ordered a doll yet bjd's seem to me to be like potato chips, you can never have just one!

19. Um...not really. While I have one friend who I think appreciates them as much as I do, I don't think she would ever order one herself, and my other friends...meh, these types of hobbies I guess just aren't their thing x3

My family doesn't really seem interested or uninterested. Sure, they'll ask me questions and whatnot about the boys when they first see them, but that's pretty much it. My dad has however once made me really happy by wondering if he should get one himself, but let's see how far that actually goes. Ha.

So pretty much it's just the wonderful friends I've met here in DoA that keep me going. No dollie horde for me x3

20. The slow conversion to BJD-ism.
      6 months ago: (was on DoD) Wow. They're pretty. Wait. They're dolls?! Oh my..can you..buy them? You can! Yay! How mu-yea..can't afford that.
      2 months ago: Huh..I remember that site from a while back. They were pretty. Wonder if I can find it again..
      2 weeks ago: -on other forum- Hey! There's those dolls again! Look! More doll sites! Aww, wouldn't it be nice to get one? Hrm..if I saved up. But how do I choose..?
      1 week ago: Ok, I've narrowed my wish list down to 10. That's 9 too many. But how can I choose?! I need them all!
      Today: Ok, so in a few weeks/months I should be able to afford my first BJD. Right now my limit is 5. 3 are characters of mine. 1 is a half developed character. And one of my characters demanded that he not be forgotten when it comes to finding their perfect mate, even though I never developed one. But he started yelling and told me that he wouldn't tell me more about himself so I can write unless whenever he's in doll form he gets a "friend" of his own.

...Yea, I'm addicted...