1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the Interference of Real Life

Dec 9, 2010

1. While saving for Emma:

• Had to quickly loan out $86 for my mom to get a surprise boot off of her car. Because our parking spot tag broke off, yet was still in view, she got booted... so I end up having to wake up early in the morning to both dish out $86, and upload photos of it to the computer.

• Was *promised* to finally get an allowance ($5) per week, but apparently my mom was never informed.

• Since I hardly go out between semesters, I had no gas money to acquire.

• Did something that I'm thankful didn't cost me all of my doll money with the addition of me getting a job to pay for the rest... but no one needs to know that:sweat.

• Parents getting annoyed that I was saving all of my money and saying "You are not buying a doll with that money." And hoping that there was no *real* danger of them actually stopping me from doing so.

2. oh ya big time, iv had my boy for almost 2 years now and he still has no clothing but what i got when i payed for him. (a pair of sweat pants that are to short :( ) i fell so bad for him, now i have a new baby in my life and my human son takes my money away from my bjd son. sad day

3. so true!! he's a pain the butt sometimes but i wouldn't trade him for anything!!! XD;;

4. Well I guess I am fortunate to have a husband that supports me and my dolly habit if I need some help with paying for something usually.

I sew for my spending money so when I hurt my back 2 years ago while having a Alice Cherry Blossom on a short short layaway I could not sew. I was laid up in bed for 2 weeks then I had the flu for 2 weeks!

I thought oh no I wont be able to get my doll out of layaway and the people are going to think I am a flake ! But my husband stepped in and helped me.

5. life interferes with my doll hobby all the time! between college, a full-time job, a fiancee, rent, and bills my dolly plans often get pushed to the wayside but i try really hard to make sure that i indulge with something small here and there since this hobby gives me alot of joy. and occasionally i step out of my responsible self and buy something really nice for them or a new doll, but life can often complicate this hobby.

6. Real ilfe is stopping me from getting one right now, and I'll have to save up for a while too. So for me, it's just the long, long, long, long...very long wait.

7. My real life interferes ALL the time! The dog needs to go to the vet, the car died, clothes, etc......I swear it never ends! But I hang in there and things eventually get better.

8. I’m a huge animal lover and I have decided to commit to feeding some wild life and i have two wonderful horses whom I have to take care of as well. I defiantly felt horrible buying my first doll and now for having my next on layaway -_-

So yeah real life is a constant in this hobby lol especially being a young college student without an official real job (I work but it’s not full time so :/ )

9. Oh sure, life has a tendency to throw curve balls at me.

The past two years:
      - I've had to move twice. Once, because I got a job on the other side of the country, once because my new upstairs neighbor turned out to be a violent man with no disregard for my privacy.
      - I lost said job because of the bad economy
      - I didn't get paid at my new job because of the economy
      - my kitten needed expensive surgery, because he ate FOUR of my earplugs - seriously, what cat does this?? - and then another one, because the poor thing started to have internal bleedings.
      - and finally I got chronically ill and am unfit for work.

But then again, I'm glad I've been saving up money since I was a little kid, as this has prevented me from getting into serious financial trouble so far. And I can't complain: I own many of my grail dolls already and have a lovely collection. New dolls can wait.

10. I’m sorry to hear all of that! I’m glad that you’ve been good about saving so you were never in a hole but still that is all so scary! I also hope you and your kitten are doing well now :) I can share your pain about the stresses of animals getting into trouble :(

11. Well, Real Life is like that, right? It comes first, no matter what we do. I like to think that dolls can help because you CAN sell them if something horrible comes up and you need quick money. Hopefully, that won't happen, but as we all know, Real Life can step in and mess with plans.

It's cool to hear about stories of persevering and overcoming these things, even it if is difficult and takes a long time. It means that dreams are possible, even if they take a lot of hard work and sacrifice, which is a hopeful thing to know!

12. This could be turned around pretty easily. Such as remember when you were going to take that vacation but it seemed more important to get that LE doll? Of course the other side is I have a record collector friend who says "You never miss that sandwich you didn't get to have because you spent all your money on records but you always remember that rare record you didn't get because you spent your money on food." So real life and doll life can roller coaster over and under each other....it's all a rich tapestry, right?

13. Thankfully in my case I was able to get my dolls on whim. My only problem was waiting for the winter or summer specials that give me extra for just being patient. I might have had the money but my mom taught me to wait for deals. And because if it I probably have received $400 in extras like free shipping, extra hands, clothes, or my favorite, a winter event head. Patience really is a virtue....because later on you can brag about the stuff you get for free because of it.

14. As soon as I put my Anthony Doll Leaves in layaway I lost my second job :( Luckily I already had the first two payments saved up and had the foresight to make it a six month layaway 'just in case' The way my luck runs is that if I come across any extra or unexpected money over fifty bucks or higher I have to use most or all of it for something else. Such is life.

15. Oh yeah, tons of times. I've had the cats get sick, the car break down, the A/C go out, etc. It happens.

16. Ohhhhh yeah. In both saving and completing things for/relating to BJD. I try not to back down, but sometimes you just can't help it. Worries keep me from saving a lot, too. Considering I'm 10k in the hole from college and I graduate next semester, I think about shoving all my money to help pay off that debt a lot, and that gets me discouraged. It'll be nice when it's gone, but until that point, it just hangs like a cloud over my head. Obviously my guilt isn't going to help pay it off sooner, but it's a feeling I'm quite prone to. *_*

17. Oh, yes. This happens to me constantly--I'll make plans, but then need to take care of some surprise expenses/have to deal with something heavy. It's the main reason my Dollfie Dream doesn't have a "sister" yet...every time I come close to getting the cash together, something comes up and takes all that dough away. I'm hoping that this year I can be successful, but this has happened so many times that I'm almost expecting it. Good thing that it doesn't really bother me any more for the same reason.

18. Oh yeah life definitely headbutts its way into my doll plans but I think in the end if I really want it I'd work my best way around my situation. My 3rd and possibly last doll is coming and I have to say it is probably the last since I want to invest money in other things for my future. I'd love to get another but it might not be for awhile or unless I see something I really desire. Until then I'll just buy clothes for my current dollies until I move out or I might have to pick up sewing for awhile haha.

19. Yeah, I am afraid so. Right now I am trying to find a new job. My old one is extremly low paid and there is not enough work (doesn't matter to my employer, as he only calls me when there is something to work, but I just earn no money if I don't work). However, this proves to be very difficult, as I had eight years of such irregular work. Every time when I look at my big girl, I just can't imagine to let her go. But we also want a worm room in winter...we shall see. Still some time left, so there is still hope...

20. Mu dolly funds would by gone rightnow if I lived in America. I've been really ill all this year, at several points having to have month long stays in hospital as well as several major surgeries and ongoung physiotheraphy: at one point I was on so much medication that I was taking 28 pills a day. Thank fully, living in the UK rather than the USA means that this hasn't cost me anything at all and, in fact, being able to afford my two new dolls Paige and Maddox this year has really kept me going because it would be so easilyto get depressrd at this point but I feel awful for anyone who might be going through similar things withoutthe NHS to fall back upon.