1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nameless Doll: Troubles naming dolls.

Jan 19, 2010

1. I have several without personal names beyond the mold. I figure their names will come eventually, or the mold name will be theirs. Nothing wrong with the mold name being the name for them.

Whit was home for a month before I named him. 'Ante' is still Ante, and might remain so. I'm still thinking of a name for one of my guys that just arrived (after thinking on it for a month now), and I don't know whether he'll get a personal name until I can find him some robes and the right wig. The same with my winking Ante and Hamster. My scarface Shiwoo has been home for several months now and still has no name. Nothing has jumped out, though his personality and quirks are all there. No name in sight, though.

2. *blink blink*
      What are the odds? I must admit a bias to the top two names. I have a pair of cats, littermates, named Clover and Sparrow. They are both good and very pretty.

3. Ah, it's taken me months on end to name some of my dolls. Probably even a year for one or two. >_< I like to start with a category if I can. Cute, originating in a certain country, dark/vampiric, ordinary... You can actually search for names that have a certain theme. There are websites which have pages with certain themes like dark names, angelic names, medieval names, etc. You could also choose by their meanings if you want the name to relate to your doll's personality.

I have a doll who was originally modeled after the poet Lord Byron. Even though he's not Lord Byron anymore I thought it would be cool to name him after his model- so I named him Baron, similar to "Byron." It also means "noble" which I think fits my boy pretty well. ^^

I wanted a pretty common name for one of my other boys, so I went to the US social security website (here)and looked up the most popular names in my state around the year that my boy would've been born in, if he was actually as old as his character is. Someone else here mentioned that site and it's really helpful! And interesting. :D

The last site that I thought was really useful in naming my last couple dolls was this page on BabyNames.com. ^^ Even though it's mostly for story writing, reading through the article and all of the comments was really helpful!
      I have never named a doll before it arrived. >_<

I didn't read through all of the comments yet so sorry if some of this is repeated.

Edit: I just remembered, another one of my dolls I named because it felt like there should be a certain sound in his name... I was thinking the letters ie or ei, with an "eh" sound or long "i" sound. I came up with Eiffel (like the tower, though it has nothing to do with my doll). :)

4. I have already gotten a name for the doll which i am going to buy on April. Mainly, i search name through textbook~ Since there are term where most people wont think of using for their doll

*I prefer special names, best a name no one have had before*

5. You can try come up with a name that you like and keep calling the doll that name. A while later you would find that name grows on the doll.

6. I used to have names for my dolls before they even arrived. Then, sometimes they would arrive, and my name would be wrong for them. In the meantime, I noticed that when I would talk about them, I wouldn't use their names, instead I would use their sculpt names, my "lusis", my "zero", my "Unoss". I have now taken to naming them something close to their sculpt name. My Iplehouse Louis, is "Lewis", my zero is "Zooey", naming them something close to their sculpt name works for me!

7. After a lot of research and indecision, when I finally settled on which doll I was going to buy, I came up with a few possible names. Since many people have said that one cannot know a doll from just the company pictures, I thought I ought to wait until I saw her in person before settling on anything. One name, taken from an Anais Nin story, sort of struck me more than the others though, and the moment all the wrappings came off, I knew that name was going to be the one.

8. I know I want her to have a somewhat unique name? Leaving the mold name isn't really for me, but I do wish I could think of a "P" name that I like!

9. Fauna told me her name right out of the box, as did Kestrel. Florian took a little longer and Nicolette sat here for over a month before I knew what she was named. Noelle was almost immediate. Danica was another difficult one. I knew I wanted a Slavic name, so eventually I went to a baby name site and her name leaped off the page.

I'm working on a character doll right now, so the name has come first.

10. Well usually when I buy a doll I still have in mind her name, character and story but there were some exceptions.
      In this situation, the best way is to let the doll decide it XD
      The name could be just something that describe her, or a particular name, it just depends on the doll I think.
      If you can't find a name for her, probably you still haven't found her real name ;) Sometimes I decided names and when the dolls arrived... well that names were not the right ones, so I wait until a name pops up in my mind and it seems to suit the doll well.
      Naming process could be very long and slow, just cause the name is something really important for the doll, just take your time ;)

11. My dolls are all based on characters I've had for anything between 10-15 years at this point so I haven't had a problem with their names per se, but when it came to the original characters themselves I sometimes found that rather than forcing a name I could give them a temporary 'nickname' as a stopgap method until the right name presented itself - that gave me something to call them without making me feel pressured into finding a name ASAP just so they'd have one and settling for something that wasn't quite right... As it turns out, 99% of the time that worked perfectly, though one of my dolls' original characters, being the secretive bugger that he is, held out on me for nine years before I finally figured out what his real name was. The character and his backstory have developed over the years to prefer his nickname and that's the only name in general use for him nowadays ('Dee') but his real name is something completely different, which only he and I know ;)

12. I usually know the doll's name before I order it so this is a rare problem for me. With my PKF Ante though I was sure she would be called Maddie but she turned out to be an Ibna. Go figure.

13. My dolls had names long long before I knew about BJDs, and so do all the others I have planned. XD well, except for one I plan to get, I'm not sure what I'm going to call him, but I'm dying to have him, so... It'll come to me eventually.

Thats what happens when you start making RP characters into dolls, solves all my naming woes. XD I know, because I agonize over names for RP characters! XD

14. After I order a doll, I try my best to come up with a name that suits him .....
      Luckily, for my two boys, I had their names in mind before they arrived~XDDD
      (Usually struggle for names days and nights when BJDs are on shipping )

15. I can sometimes name my dolls immediately, sometimes it takes a few days, and I've had some that took months and months!

Like right now, for instance, I have a gorgeous Narae that I absolutely adore with no name. I've had her since beginning of November.. >.<

16. I've been thinking of names for my first for a looong time, and I have one that seems suitable. I'm not setting anything in stone, though, because otherwise I'll be disappointed. I thought that if necessary I could add as a middle or surname.

I think I won't be able to know for sure until I get the doll itself and spend some time with her.

17. I usually wait until the doll has arrived and then take some time working out his/her personality before choosing a name. A couple of times this hasn't worked and I've ended up just using the sculpt name.

Good luck with finding a name for your little one.

18. My favorite name website is
      http://www.behindthename.com/
      You can put in a letter, word or word in meaning and get a list of names. I usual sound them out. If I can't say it easily, I know that I will not use it.

19. I'm Welsh, so I normally turn to Welsh names when I'm naming a doll, although one of my dolls has a German name (Klemens-Ruprecht is his proper name, but I call him Rupert for short), and one has a Japanese name (my Dollfie Dream, Momoko). Rupert was an original character before his doll form turned up and Momoko has a Japanese first name and a typically Welsh surname - Jones :lol:

20. My first doll took a few weeks to name, and my third doll got a name in a week, but it's taken months for it to stick because I kept called her by the sculpt name. The first doll had a name immediately, and the fourth doll had a name that evening.

Usually when I want to name a doll, I'll think about what ethnicity they're supposed to be and look at names based on that. Behindthename.com is a good site for that. :)