1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nameless Doll: Troubles naming dolls.

Jan 19, 2010

1. I find that, with my latest dolls, I've had more trouble naming them than I did with the first ones. Maybe it's because I've spent less time browsing and getting the feel for the doll I want and being a little more impulsive. Especially with the last two, names have been particularly evasive and I don't like it. :l

2. It's usually the free event heads that I have the most difficult time getting a name for, especially if I have no plans of creating a character for them. :sweat

3. I can't imagine not being able to name anything XD
      I'm pretty good at pulling names out of a hat though :o
      I find the best way to name things, is to name them after something you love. If it's really meaningful to you , it's most likely that it could bring out a good name...in relation of course..
      Your not gunna name your doll Chair because of your favorite Rocking chair (if people even have those anymore) xD
      Maybe look up a name dictionary and translate Chair, seat, relaxation, ease in your favorite language.
      I usually use stories or songs to name my million of characters, or in your case dolls xD
      Songs work best for me, because they have personality to them and all you have to do is find a song that reflects the character you want your doll to be C:

4. :)I use a baby book to name all my resin babies, but there is one that keeps getting switched back to 'No Name' :sweat

5. My first was a Puki Pipi too~ And it took me forever to name her! As well as my DZ Nina. If they don''t come home planned to be someone, then it takes me a long time to get them down name wise. Usually when I have a hard to name doll, I just wait until I hear or read a name that just pops out to me.

6. I have my first doll finally in mind and I had no problem with his name. Hes gonna be based on a character I created a couple years ago!
      With the other dolls I collect I usually think of what personality I want for the doll and work from there. Or sometimes I wait till they arrive and I just looked at their face and get inspired. :D

7. Naming is both easy and hard for me. Sometimes the right name comes to me when I see them for the first time and hold them.

Other times... its so hard! I look at them and think. "You can't be nameless?!"

8. The only time I have naming trouble is when I fall for a doll that doesn't fit any of my characters' descriptions - but I must have the doll. I have three pukis coming in and one of them I have no idea what I'm going to call. I'm sure I'll think of something though. I'm used to hunting for names since I write a lot XD

9. The only time I had trouble naming a doll was with my floating head. All the dolls I have planned so far are for existing OCs, and thus already have their stories. Well, I bought a DiM Minimee Event head thingy off the marketplace on impulse. I didn't have a name for him, and was really only intending to use him as a practice head... until I found his wig and eyes. Pretty black glass eyes with white spirals, and an acid green wig. ...now he's informed me that he has a twin and an older brother who bear a remarkable family resemblance to him, and thus eventually I need to find two more -.- Gah, demanding floating heads are demanding!

10. I had this problem too.
      Before I bought the doll, I have been colling him always by his mold's name, so after he arrived, I couldn't named him...
      SO now, he has just his official mold's name~

11. Usually I take a long time to choose names, but with Elodie, it was easy.

when I have trouble finding the right name, I just open a dictionary and start scanning...
      and that includes dictionaries in other languages. It always works, and sooner or later, I find the perfect name :sweat

12. I've thought up names for my dolls while waiting for them to arrive (sometimes even before I actually order them). When I was a kid I used to make lists of names I liked, and while nowadays I don't actually write those names down I do keep them in mind. If I can't find anything from that list that suits, I go through name websites for inspiration or character names from some of my favourite books.

The exception would be my hybrid doll. His face was a Zack Fair head mold, and I was really teetering on the decision on whether to keep him as Zack or not, so I waited until I got his body. Putting the head and body together with new eyes and wig gave me a 'eureka' moment and I decided he won't get to stay as Zack after all.

13. So far I have two without names. One hasn't shipped yet and is blank, so that's not a problem. The other has a face, but waiting on the right eyes.

14. I find a really great way to find names is to go to baby name sites. That way you can search a meaning or beggining/ending letter you like. Although now I get a news letter from a pregnancy site, even though I am not having a baby XD I find really good names that way, and they can match the dolls ethnicity or personality perfectly.
      For instance, I named my first boy Ainsly, because it means "my own" in Welsh.

15. I've got five dolls planned, one at home. I've got all their basic concepts nailed down though =3 . For two of them, the names were very easy. Dusk and Dawn, I love these names a lot.

Two others are YinYin and YangYang for now... I like these names because they're cute and they match their character concept (they twins dressed in black and white) , but I'm not 100% certain on them. Maybe because they don't seem 'name-like' enough, or too literal or petsy. Than again, they're going to be tinies so being cutish would be acceptable. I'll probably keep these names =P .

The last one, I want to name something related to 'Twilight' and the name has to be gender neutral but I just can't think of anything. I might just name it 'Twilight' but that doesn't seem very... nameish. :/ I also considered Twinkle and Twink, but those are totally lame. Tink might work, but I think it makes a lot of people think of Tinker Bell. I'm not sure how I'll name it, but I want it to sound good next to 'Dusk' and 'Dawn' because the three are sort of a matching set. For names, I like to come up with sounds, first letters that I like, the thesaurus if the name concept is an actual word (like Twilight) , look at cultural names at name websites, etc.. 'Till something really 'clicks'.

<3 ali

16. After I get Danny, I'm going to get a drow (dark elf to people who aren't nerds like me) and I don't know what to name him. I might just go with the word for spier in drow, but that seems really uncreative. That, and Orbb isn't the best name in the world...

17. hmm
      i haven gotten a doll yet (but soon...very soon....)
      but i already planned what to name my doll~
      Straven~ that name just came to me
      :D

18. the only one that was nameless for more than 2 weeks, because i had NO idea of which name could fit him the best, was my most favourite one :XD:
      for the rest, i let them to suggest me theyr name when i play with'em.
      but with only 2 i already had a charachter in mind so they got theyr name instantaneously.

19. my msd still does not have a name... i look at him and i cant figure out what to name him. i have a name in mind but its a very popular name and i was hoping another name would fit... but i'm thinking maybe he wants it regarless of it being popular >< so just waiting on if i find another one that may fit him.. oddly i already have a name for the head i have thats missing a body xD

20. My friends laugh at me because I have eight dolls and only four of them have names. I've had most of these dolls for over a year now. .__.;;
      I look at them and I see a personality, but I just can't think of a name. It's so frustrating! Last night I just came up with a name for my Dollzone Nina that I've had since April 2008!