1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nameless Doll: Troubles naming dolls.

Jan 19, 2010

1. I still don't have a name for my incomming doll but I think I will search one if I see it. ;)
      maybe a name will suddenly pop up in my mind.

2. Ahhh choosing names is so much trouble for me! Part of the reason is because I am a combination of indecisive and picky haha. But my go to is to choose names from mythology. Whether or not the character/appearance of my doll will be based on the character from mythology, sometimes the names are so pretty. That's why I picked the name Persephone for my MSD! She is sort of based on the Persephone from mythology, but I am constantly changing up the character aspects in my head. I think maybe when my doll collection grows I'll have slightly more static personalties for them, haha! Right now she's all I have, so I sort of just channel all my ideas to her!

3. Ugh, naming trouble! Sometimes it just comes to me. They get their face up and BAM i know just who they are. With my girls it's been harder. I have on doll incoming that I knew her name right away, and another I have but still have no name for at all. Nothing! My other two girls keep swapping names, like they just don't stick. In general I pike names i like from movies or shows or books, but it's always seemed easier to name my boys. For the nameless one, I'm still just waiting :p

4. One of my dolls is named after her sculpt because I çouldnt think of a name. It stuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. I thought my last doll was going to be stuck with her sculpt name too. I had so much trouble finding a name for my first doll that I prepared several lists of names I liked the sound of and the meaning of. They have helped me a lot. I make sure I name each doll within 24 hours since the last time I waited 2 days my best friend ended up naming him. I don't mind, it is a big name for a short person with a big personality, still...I have taken steps...the most important being quick naming.

6. Oh my, I actually have an opposite problem: names (plus nicknames and personalities for each one) floating around, begging to be assigned to a doll!

7. My dolls are 3-D representations of my book characters so for me it was finding a doll to fit the already existing name and character, not the other way around.

8. How long did it take you to name your dolls?
      For me naming starts the moment I choose a doll. It may take a while, but hey, it's a great way to kill time between order and delivery. The search results in a short list. Once the doll arrives I pick the name that suits best.

Was there ever a time you just couldn't figure out a name for a doll?
      Not yet.

Inspiration?
      This works for me:
      - urbandictionary.com (for unusual names)
      - googletranslate (for translations of words that match the character of your doll)
      - traditional names from a specific country or region (Irish names for example if your doll is a freckled red head)
      - names of historical/mythical/literary/poetical figures
      - lettergame-names (like reverse reading)

My names so far:
      Alaqai (lightbrown Iplehouse Zera; she was named after a daughter of Dzjengis Khan)
      Piikivi (Fairyland realpuki Soso; because her smile has the same 'illuminating' power as a flintstone (piikivi in Finnish)
      Eep (BJtales mouse girl; eep sounds a bit like mouse squeaking in Dutch (piep). Eep as in a high-pitched squeal sort of noise is also quite nice, because that's exactly the sound I make the moment I see a mouse)
      Woem of Uno de Gato (Oleum cat by Eve Studio Project, because it sounds 'pedigree' but means... ab-so-lu-te-ly nothing. Woem is Meow, but backwards. Uno de Gato is cats claw)

9. for the early years, i will think about the name even before i order the doll, but until now there are too many dolls, i'v used out of my ideas to even think about a name.

10. I got a new girl today, and it took me till I finished her very rushed and not fantastic faceup to get her name, I tend not to force it, and just wait till it comes into my head and it sticks, that way it feels right, sometimes the spelling changes, but thats about it.

11. Before a new doll comes home, I usually end up referring to it as the sculpt name so many times that calling it anything else seems odd for a while. Some of my dolls will come home with a name already decided and some will have to wait for me to come up with a name. I don't really stress over it because everyone always asks what sculpt a doll is instead of asking for a name.

12. When my first doll came home I knew I wanted him to shell one or more of my characters, but I wasn't sure which. When I did settle on a character, it was someone I hadn't named yet, and nothing seemed to fit. Before I actually settled on name for the character I'd made the doll a second outfit representing a different character altogether, complicating things further.

In the end, while his main character now has a settled name, I still refer to the doll as Whatsisface. I've stopped fighting it, and just accepted that's the name he's going to have forever.

13. I'm still waiting on my first doll and it's been 4 or 5 weeks and I still can't think of a name for her. I wonder why it takes so much time for something so simple...:? It takes me minutes to think of character names, but it feels like my doll is much more important than some character I think up...

The last thing I want is a "cliche doll name."

14. I have names for two of my three incoming dolls, but I cannot think of something for my Black Code no 02 - and he's been my grail doll, the one I wanted to have since day 1 (and who wasn't available back then).
      No name I can think of seems to be quite right. I had a name for him before DoD re-released him, but... I just don't like that name anymore. I hope he'll speak to me when he arrives, at the latest.

15. I've had my incubus doll for a few years already, but I still haven't gotten around naming him. He still hasn't got a wig either, so I guess he'll just have to wait until then. But I usually don't have trouble naming my dolls, I've got too many choices to to have problems.

16. I'm terrible with coming up with names too, and sticking with them for that matter due to my indecisiveness. I have no idea how I came up with my current girl's name, however it took me two months to decide on one and then three weeks to decide that I couldn't come up with a better name :lol:

17. For me it really varies. I've run the entire gamut, from buying a doll without a name in mind and taking over a year to name her (Chimera, my Soom Amber), to deciding to buy a doll without a name in mind and naming her before I even finished the purchase on the site (Nouva, my Soom Cuprit), to having a name in mind before knowing what doll I wanted for it (Löwe, my Soom Chrom). I tend to take longer coming up with surnames, although sometimes I do come up with a surname at the same time as a given name (like Anodýne Paonier, my Soom Heliot), and only a couple of my dolls have nicknames (like Vermeil/"Gules", my Soom Beryl).

I absolutely love the process of naming dolls. I love finding names that are a bit weird (like Ælfræd) or out of place (like Dante as a girl's name), and finding names that really 'click' with my characters. My usual resources for naming are behindthename.com (for real-world names), and etymonline.com and thesaurus.com (for inspirational words and themes).

18. Names are my favorite! It kind of helps me when I'm waiting for a doll to come in to think of what I might name it when it finally arrives. Gives me something to do, at least. I tend to give my dolls literary names, although I don't necessarily give them the names of my favorite literary characters. I go through my bookshelf and look at intriguing or unusual minor character names until I see something that feels like it fits. So far it's worked very well, I think. :)

19. I personally have a list of names on my phone and whenever i get a good name i just write it down,and when it's time to name a character i just look at the list:)!

20. I'm looking for a boy's name that ends in "a" for a Dream of Teen. Any thoughts?